test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Path of the Blade damage problem

therealjaelustherealjaelus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
edited September 2013 in The Thieves' Den
I was just doing some testing of Path of the Blade on the test server, and I'm getting some unexpected results.

I have 21 CHA (11% bonus to CA damage), so my expectation is to see 15% (base) + 11% (CHA bonus) = 26% bonus damage from combat advantage when I use PotB in stealth. I've controlled for other variables, so nothing else is giving me bonus damage. I am only recording PotB ticks that occur when I am in stealth.

What I saw in my testing was an increase of 15% damage above baseline for PotB in stealth (11% less damage than expected).

I then took 5 ranks of Underhanded Tactics. Since that gives a 20% bonus to CA damage, my expectation is 15% (base) + 11% (CHA bonus) = 26% * 120% = 31.2% damage.

What I saw in my testing with 5 ranks of Underhanded Tactics was an increase of 18% damage above baseline, which is consistent with 15% (base) * 120% = 18%. This is 13.2% less damage than expected.

It seems to me that the damage I'm seeing is consistent with CA damage that does not benefit from the CA damage bonus contribution from CHA. Is this a bug or am I missing something here? Can anyone confirm these findings?
garret_fi.png
Post edited by therealjaelus on

Comments

• spicenspicen Member Posts: 248 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    There's other problem with Path of the Blade also. It can't crit, which pretty much renders it useless and non-viable option. They should change it so it can crit.
  • therealjaelustherealjaelus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited September 2013
    I'm well aware of it not critting. That could be a design decision. It's not like it crits but ignores your crit bonus from DEX, which is akin to what it's doing here.

After all, PotB is affected by combat advantage. Having it not receive the entire correct CA bonus seems like a bug.
    garret_fi.png
    edited September 2013
    I'm well aware of it not critting. That could be a design decision. It's not like it crits but ignores your crit bonus from DEX, which is akin to what it's doing here.

After all, PotB is affected by combat advantage. Having it not receive the entire correct CA bonus seems like a bug.

PotB doesn't crit. If it's designed that way then its fail design. Trs are build around ability to crit. All the feats and our main stat dex suggests it. So why give, a class which relies and focuses heavily on criticals, an ability which isn't able to crit?
  • reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think its designed that way to not crit as well.

For Sudden Storm also does not crit for CW.

Its only one encounter skill that does not benefit from critical strike.
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Sudden storm was fixed, it crits now.
    edited September 2013
    Didn't want to make a new thread for this only. Path of the Blade bug report You can thank me later :) On another note, you should also let panderus know about that combat advantage damage-issue you have.
  • utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    spicen wrote: »
    Didn't want to make a new thread for this only. Path of the Blade bug report You can thank me later :) On another note, you should also let panderus know about that combat advantage damage-issue you have.

Woot! Thanks alot mate!
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.