test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Suggestion] Dual Feat Spec

cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2013 in PvE Discussion
For many classes their optimal PvP and PvE specs are different, some classes even have multiple useful PvP specs that a player might like to switch between.

A respec currently costs 300 zen. Why not offer the ability to have 2 seperate feat/stat/skill setups that are able to be toggled between for around 1500 zen? This would skyrocket zen sales IMO, as a large percentage of players would jump at the chance to be able to easily switch between their PvP and PvE specs whenever they want to join a domination or a dungeon.

Make it instant switch with maybe a 5 minute cooldown to avoid abuse in PvP.

I would buy this for all of my classes and a lot of players have an alt of every class like I do. Currently I would not even consider paying the zen every time I want to switch and it makes me just go ahead and use whatever spec I'm currently using even though it may not be optimal for the task at hand. So I am not currently spending the 300 zen anyways, but this would give me ample reason to spend 1500 per character, more than enough of a reason on the Devs end no? =)

Even after the purchase of the dual spec, people would still have to purchase a retraining token if they wanted to change either of their specs so it's not like that item would become obsolete either.
Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
Post edited by cribstaxxx on

Comments

• Options
    ntdreamntdream Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think this is a great idea!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Thanks! I'm hoping that quite a few more people take the time to look this over and/or discuss it, as no Dev is likely to see it without more lengthy discussion.
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Would love this as well. Not sure it would happen, but I'm game.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    kingculexkingculex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Great idea especially if it is a complete dual spec setup. That way players can have abilities, powers, and feats for PVE and separate ones for PVP. My current build is a TR hybrid build because it can switch from heavy power/critical in PVP to near permastealth in PVE.
    Every class has advantages and disadvantages. Learn the disadvantages of you class to overcome them. Learn the advantages of your class and the disadvatages of other classes to use them in pvp to win.

There is no point to whine for nerfs because you win some and loose some. Crying just makes a player look like a crier and no one, especially the devs, should take them seriously. Have a nice day!:)
  • Options
    cktorgcktorg Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I agree and hope that they consider this soon.

I wouldn't go to 1500 zen as a cost, but I do think that 500 for the dual spec ability, 300 for a respec token that redoes both specs would be sufficient and still make a lot of money. I base this on the research I've done into the most efficient way to have a dual spec.

It costs 500 for 2 extra character slots, this lets you have 2 different specs AND another bank, bag space, prayers, etc. etc. My opinion is offer the dual spec for 500. This makes it low enough for most people to get - and reasonable for the convenience of being able to switch.
    Do or do not. There is no try. ~ Yoda

crypticknights.shivtr.com - Order of the Cryptic Knights
  • Options
    yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Instead of building the op spec for every situation live with what you have. It's a roleplay game. You chose your path and don't switch around all the time.

If you mainly do PVP, spec for it. If you mainly play PVE spec for it and if you do both you might be a little bit hybrid. If they would fix PVP in general then it should not be a big deal anyway to keep your spec. This game focusses more on the abilitiy changing not the respecing. The biggest problem by far is not the spec but the limitation of abilities. They put you in a certain corner and if you would have more abilities to use at your disposal you this could change your whole gameplay much more than those specs.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    yokihiro wrote: »
    Instead of building the op spec for every situation live with what you have. It's a roleplay game. You chose your path and don't switch around all the time.

If you mainly do PVP, spec for it. If you mainly play PVE spec for it and if you do both you might be a little bit hybrid. If they would fix PVP in general then it should not be a big deal anyway to keep your spec. This game focusses more on the abilitiy changing not the respecing. The biggest problem by far is not the spec but the limitation of abilities. They put you in a certain corner and if you would have more abilities to use at your disposal you this could change your whole gameplay much more than those specs.

But I can change my path at any moment just by spending zen so "live with it" argument is a little <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> (no offense). I'm just saying since we can already purchase this service, let us pay to have 2 at once. You aren't making money on 98% of the people that want a 2nd spec anyway as they aren't going to pay 300 zen every time they PvP or do a dungeon, so this would make you money you are not currently able to get, and would not make retraining tokens obsolete.
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I get why you think this is a good idea, but I can not agree. This would make PvP a living hell for players that don't want to or can't buy zen. Also it would make players that don't buy zen worthless in PvE. Now I can already hear some people saying "Well, that's their problem. If I wanna make my character the best of the very best and min-max the hell out of him/her, I should be able to do so!". Well, this is one of those features that make a game pay-to-win. Think about it - you pay money to be better in two important aspects of the game.

Also, as yokihiro said before, it makes no sense from a role-paying point a view - and that's why I would never buy such product in a game. You should roll a character and go on your adventure. I think this is what take the fun out of games for many people - they turn everything into number management.

For me, this makes more sense. http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?191312-Suggestion-Add-a-swappable-action-bar-API-calls
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    khimera906 wrote: »
    I get why you think this is a good idea, but I can not agree. This would make PvP a living hell for players that don't want to or can't buy zen. Also it would make players that don't buy zen worthless in PvE. Now I can already hear some people saying "Well, that's their problem. If I wanna make my character the best of the very best and min-max the hell out of him/her, I should be able to do so!". Well, this is one of those features that make a game pay-to-win. Think about it - you pay money to be better in two important aspects of the game.

Also, as yokihiro said before, it makes no sense from a role-paying point a view - and that's why I would never buy such product in a game. You should roll a character and go on your adventure. I think this is what take the fun out of games for many people - they turn everything into number management.

For me, this makes more sense. http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?191312-Suggestion-Add-a-swappable-action-bar-API-calls

Just like everyone else in the game you have access to the AD/Zen exchange. I bought 2500 zen mount, 1000 zen worth of character slots, 2000 zen ioun stone, and some fashion gear and dye's probably around another 1000 zen all without ever spending a dime. 1000-1500 zen to make my character better suited to both PvE and PvP seems a small price to pay to not have to completely level and gear a new character. There are also surveys, I've made over 2k zen just on those.

You can roleplay a character with schizophrenia, sometimes it's like he's a whole other person =P

This would also help a lot of pugs be better at pvp, the ones that simply don't want to respec to be good at it. I'm really tired of 2 leavers within the first minute and I think having a secondary pvp spec will help with that.
  • Options
    bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    ntdream wrote: »
    I think this is a great idea!!!

Agreed...... however its player options, which is a D&D fundamental. Stuff like this is strictly taboo for some reason and completely unrealistic for this online shoot um up.
  • Options
    arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This has been suggested many times. I'm unsure why they have yet to say anything on the idea, but I'm still 100% for it.
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    This would also help a lot of pugs be better at pvp, the ones that simply don't want to respec to be good at it. I'm really tired of 2 leavers within the first minute and I think having a secondary pvp spec will help with that.

Some players are still gonna suck even with dual-speced characters. :)
    Like I said, I understand why you think it's a good idea.
    The problem (for me) is not the price and, yes, I know you can buy zen, with AD, I have done it a few times myself. I just have this automatic reaction to anything that involves the zen store. Right now the exchange rate is decent (under 300AD per zen on Dragon), but I have a long experience with this kind of exchange system (from another PW game) and I know it can get really ugly. Having anything depend on the cash shop is a really bad Idea, believe me. We already had the possibility to make AD reduced and who know how it will be in the future. And the exchange rates will surely go up because it's human nature to want more. What you're asking for is like selling better gear in the cash shop and the players that can not afford it (not just right now, but in the future too) will be left out. I hope you understand why I think this is not such a good idea.

And, yes, if this is implemented, I'm gonna play a multiple personality, schizophrenic rogue named Steve who goes on rampages and starts murdering people in PvP, then he reverts back to his normal personality, but he has flashbacks of all the horrible murders he has committed and finally, when he can't take it anymore, he take his own life. LOL
    I don't know, having a two-in-one character is not that appealing to me, but, if something like this would be put in the store I would probably have to buy it. Like it or not I do need to competitive.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    My current build pulls a little bit from all three feat lines. With this dual-spec, I could go Sentinel and Destroyer on my GWF. Would I just have more paragon points total (like a hidden level increase?) or would I be locked into only choosing one feat line at a time?

Do both feat lines stack on each other during regular gameplay, or are some feats to be turned off while other feat line is active?

Knowing that feats give a general boost to powers and abilities, this could make a character considerably more powerful if both feat lines are active. That player would essentially have another 25 levels or so over everyone who hasn't invested.

But if it's not active for both lines at the same time, than it kills builds like mine which access multiple lines. Why would I split my build up for optimal use, when it's more effective to run a dual build for every situation.

And considering that every class only really has two feat lines worth choosing from, it seems, this would greatly reduce individual preference.

Oh, and feat respecs currently only cost about 120k AD, a very manageable option for most players.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    lobo0084 wrote: »
    My current build pulls a little bit from all three feat lines. With this dual-spec, I could go Sentinel and Destroyer on my GWF. Would I just have more paragon points total (like a hidden level increase?) or would I be locked into only choosing one feat line at a time?

Do both feat lines stack on each other during regular gameplay, or are some feats to be turned off while other feat line is active?

Knowing that feats give a general boost to powers and abilities, this could make a character considerably more powerful if both feat lines are active. That player would essentially have another 25 levels or so over everyone who hasn't invested.

But if it's not active for both lines at the same time, than it kills builds like mine which access multiple lines. Why would I split my build up for optimal use, when it's more effective to run a dual build for every situation.

And considering that every class only really has two feat lines worth choosing from, it seems, this would greatly reduce individual preference.

Oh, and feat respecs currently only cost about 120k AD, a very manageable option for most players.

My suggestion was 2 completely seperate specs that you can toggle between. So just like when you buy a respec token you can change your stat rolls, skills, and feats, you would have 2 seperate builds where you can choose all of those things for both of them, and then you can toggle between the two.

So maybe for PvE my GWF wants more Str and Dex for DPS, different damage skills that work better vs. AI, and the destroyer spec. But for PvP I would rather have Con/Dex, specific PvP skills, and Sentinel spec. I can immediately switch from one to the other whenever I wish (with a ~5 minute cooldown to avoid abuse in PvP)
  • Options
    munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    My suggestion was 2 completely seperate specs that you can toggle between. So just like when you buy a respec token you can change your stat rolls, skills, and feats, you would have 2 seperate builds where you can choose all of those things for both of them, and then you can toggle between the two.

So maybe for PvE my GWF wants more Str and Dex for DPS, different damage skills that work better vs. AI, and the destroyer spec. But for PvP I would rather have Con/Dex, specific PvP skills, and Sentinel spec. I can immediately switch from one to the other whenever I wish (with a ~5 minute cooldown to avoid abuse in PvP)

I like the idea, but I'm kind of on the fence with this.

It seems to breed even worse players from my experience.

Rift was a perfect example, having 5 available builds per character got out of control very quickly and the level of skill seemed to completely drop off the map with the general public.
  • Options
    whistlingdixiewhistlingdixie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I doubt this will happen. Why give away for free something that currently costs 300 Zen? lol

That said, it would be a great feature. I don't understand why anyone would oppose it. You can already respec. You can also have two characters, one for PvP and one for PvE. Lots of people do this. It wouldn't really affect game balance.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    munkey81 wrote: »
    I like the idea, but I'm kind of on the fence with this.

It seems to breed even worse players from my experience.

Rift was a perfect example, having 5 available builds per character got out of control very quickly and the level of skill seemed to completely drop off the map with the general public.

The average player already have a terrible build and gear set for PvP, so no it won't make everyone good, but it will allow players with skill to be specced for pvp. So many people come on the forums and complain about PvP, and then after talking to them for a minute I find out they are specced and geared completely for PvE, so no wonder they're doing terrible. This would at least help those people do better heh.

TBH I would take advantage of this more so to have 2 seperate PvP specs than 1 pve 1 pvp, I could care less for PvE heh.

@khimera: Lol that would be hilarious if you were in RP guild... But yeah it's something almost everyone would take advantage of, even those who are somewhat opposed to it. Keep that in mind Devs and implement please =P
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I doubt this will happen. Why give away for free something that currently costs 300 Zen? lol

That said, it would be a great feature. I don't understand why anyone would oppose it. You can already respec. You can also have two characters, one for PvP and one for PvE. Lots of people do this. It wouldn't really affect game balance.

B/c currently no one takes advantage of switching their spec between PvE and PvP every time they do one or the other, it's prohibitively expensive. But by releasing this they can make huge sales to people who weren't going to otherwise purchase respec tokens AND respec tokens will still be purchased at nearly the same rate b/c you need them to respec either of your 2 specs. I have respecced my GWF like 8 times lol, so even with this feature I would have bought 4 respec tokens heh.
  • Options
    munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yah, I'm not against it. I'd definitely use it. I know what I'd do with my CW and DC. Not sure which spec I'd try with my TR though. I think perma stealth is a giant <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> sandwich roflbag of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, so I spose I'd try out some type of Scoundrel hybrid type =)
  • Options
    bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    arcmoon99 wrote: »
    This has been suggested many times. I'm unsure why they have yet to say anything on the idea, but I'm still 100% for it.

Because cyptic is hell bent on rigid balance and zero player options. No power whatsoever for players. Even in small reasonable doses.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    munkey81 wrote: »
    Yah, I'm not against it. I'd definitely use it. I know what I'd do with my CW and DC. Not sure which spec I'd try with my TR though. I think perma stealth is a giant <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> sandwich roflbag of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, so I spose I'd try out some type of Scoundrel hybrid type =)

Lol! Yeah I'm going to try scoundrel as well, I had to create a new TR though as you can't change race or initial stat rolls. Which is the other suggestion on my list! heh