test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What do you think about current class balance for pve?

2»

Comments

• aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    kingculex wrote: »
    How did they break it? Please explain.

Note: I have seen some CWs, even have one in my guild, that is capable of soloing t2s.

Idk, maybe for starters trying to fix a bug only to create more bugs that were there in the first place. Dragons are still bugged last I knew. BOP loot.. Seemingly endless nerfing of classes while not re balancing/retuning dungeons to reflect said nerfs. Not to mention all of the nerfing done to classes that didn't need to be hit w/ a nerf stick.
    Read the forums.. There are plenty of ways they broke the game. So many, it doesn't even pay to get into it.. Some people look at the game through rose colored shades where no matter what happens everything is perfect. I am however not one of those people.

-edit-
    Edited to add, maybe the game was broken from the start and the last patch is what removed my rose colored shades. The LFG/dungeon finder has been broken since the start and is still broken. The fact no vote to kick system has been implemented is also quite concerning. PvP is still a p2w scenario. Again, seeing time and time again bugs getting ignored is just a slap in the face to people who cared about the game. Like I said though, I don't really care about it anymore so w/e :p
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    pandapaul wrote: »
    So we have had a few weeks since last balance patch.. How do you think they did with the balance..

I think TR is fairly close to where they should be in terms of dps.. Don't seem to be topping charts anymore through a dungeon but when we get to the boss they catch up quickly.. Seems like that's about right

DC I'm not sure as well they always hit bottom of charts and the primary attributes are not to do with dps

Gf I think might have a little too much single target dps.. I would like to see them maybe lose a little dps and gain a bit more tankier attributes.. Given they are a tank

CW is out of control.. Right now in pve they are completely OP in every respect.. They control attributes are critical to parties..which is fine.. But there aoe dps is completely unchallenged when played correctly... By miles... And there single target dps is very high too... Seems like this class is completely unbalanced for pve

GWF.. Very average aoe dps.. For a aoe dps class.. Kind of embaressing.. Should have more aoe dps than CW but isn't close.. Single target dps is well almost the worst of any class but the DC. There AP generation is the worst of any class by miles now and probably is the main cause of significantly lower dps

I think the current balance patch actually caused more imbalance than it was before... Seems like they going backwards with class balance for pve

End game gear TR bit strong DC bit weak but i think its fine .
    In my option we need HP balance( class hp).
    I have all class ,but my favor is GF not the strongest class but i can live with it.30k lash is brutal but i resign.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    D&D is not about class balance. Every class has its unique feature which other classes doesn't have. It's pointless to nerf a class just because it has its useful abilities which other classes doesn't have.

Ranged attack, aoe damage, and crowd control. Can we say those abilities make CW overpowered? Nope, because that's how CW handle things naturally. They are born to do ranged attack, aoe damage, and crowd control.

While I agree to improve other classes' features so classes become more diverse. Take survivability for example, if CW typically have 25k hp, then GF/GWF should typically have 40k hp or higher so that makes them outstanding in tanking and being more survivable in the front line. Currently GF/GWF and CW have roughly the same hp in general, and that's odd.

Yup. No doubt. This bizarre obsession with class balancing is a major issue that is only holding this game back. D&D isnt balanced nor is it about class balancing so there it is.

As it stands this obsession creates 5 classes all doing the same thing with no unique attributes. Its horrible. And must go for this game to have any lasting value.
  • kingculexkingculex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bracer2 wrote: »
    Yup. No doubt. This bizarre obsession with class balancing is a major issue that is only holding this game back. D&D isnt balanced nor is it about class balancing so there it is.

As it stands this obsession creates 5 classes all doing the same thing with no unique attributes. Its horrible. And must go for this game to have any lasting value.

Yet it is wanted by all the players wanting nerfs............
    Every class has advantages and disadvantages. Learn the disadvantages of you class to overcome them. Learn the advantages of your class and the disadvatages of other classes to use them in pvp to win.

There is no point to whine for nerfs because you win some and loose some. Crying just makes a player look like a crier and no one, especially the devs, should take them seriously. Have a nice day!:)
    edited September 2013
    aaronjf wrote: »
    Idk, maybe for starters trying to fix a bug only to create more bugs that were there in the first place. Dragons are still bugged last I knew. BOP loot.. Seemingly endless nerfing of classes while not re balancing/retuning dungeons to reflect said nerfs. Not to mention all of the nerfing done to classes that didn't need to be hit w/ a nerf stick.
    Read the forums.. There are plenty of ways they broke the game. So many, it doesn't even pay to get into it.. Some people look at the game through rose colored shades where no matter what happens everything is perfect. I am however not one of those people.

-edit-
    Edited to add, maybe the game was broken from the start and the last patch is what removed my rose colored shades. The LFG/dungeon finder has been broken since the start and is still broken. The fact no vote to kick system has been implemented is also quite concerning. PvP is still a p2w scenario. Again, seeing time and time again bugs getting ignored is just a slap in the face to people who cared about the game. Like I said though, I don't really care about it anymore so w/e :p

Thank you for such a detailed explanation that I honestly can not argue against because I agree with it. I wanted to make sure you were not referencing a single bug or issue when there are tons of them. This game does seem to be going down hill fast and it was a decent game in the beginning.
    Every class has advantages and disadvantages. Learn the disadvantages of you class to overcome them. Learn the advantages of your class and the disadvatages of other classes to use them in pvp to win.

There is no point to whine for nerfs because you win some and loose some. Crying just makes a player look like a crier and no one, especially the devs, should take them seriously. Have a nice day!:)
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Yet it is wanted by all the players wanting nerfs............

IKR. Its like self mutilation. Its amazing to me that so many players want these cookie cutter toons that are all generally identical due to this stupid class balancing nonsense.
  • trollgretrollgre Member Posts: 297
    edited September 2013
    How did they break it? Please explain.

Note: I have seen some CWs, even have one in my guild, that is capable of soloing t2s.

sniping from above?
    i saw 1 cw kicking all pt members so he can solo all items
    edited September 2013
    trollgre wrote: »
    sniping from above?
    i saw 1 cw kicking all pt members so he can solo all items

Kicking party members to get all the items after the completion of a dungeon is low. I really do not know how exactly he gets into the higher level dungeons to solo them. I do know he has done all the regular dungeons by going to the entrance of each dungeon and entering it.

• chudovishyechudovishye Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Dungeons are generally heavily balanced towards DCs and CWs. GWFs are basically pointless now in many cases, sadly. It makes me cry, which is why I don't play as much other than PvP.
  • lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Dungeons are generally heavily balanced towards DCs and CWs. GWFs are basically pointless now in many cases, sadly. It makes me cry, which is why I don't play as much other than PvP.

Just did my first MC run. 1/3 and 2/3. Easy. But on 3/3, realized that GWF are a requirement for a dungeon for once. Why?

Interrupt.

As I've read in these forums, my daily power slam completely stopped Valindra from pulling a oortal. And stops her choke cold. And we're going to test to make sure roar does, since it's labeled an interrupt.

At which point, there's a dungeon that gets significantly better with me in it. Yay!
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • gek1956gek1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    lobo0084 wrote: »
    Just did my first MC run. 1/3 and 2/3. Easy. But on 3/3, realized that GWF are a requirement for a dungeon for once. Why?

Interrupt.

As I've read in these forums, my daily power slam completely stopped Valindra from pulling a oortal. And stops her choke cold. And we're going to test to make sure roar does, since it's labeled an interrupt.

At which point, there's a dungeon that gets significantly better with me in it. Yay!

I tried several interrupts, slam among them, also flourish and takedown, and saw no interruption. When I was her target US only slowed damage, but did not free me as it does for other CC. Typical for the mega boss. Then again they have a proven history of changing procs and leaving it out of weekly patch notes, and I haven't done MC or any other DD in nearly 2 weeks.
  • vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    GWFs are basically pointless
    which is why I don't play as much other than PvP.

But isn' PvP even worse? In a dungeon there actually are things that a gwf is able to kill. As for PvP, in all the recent videos I can see uploaded by a gwf, the rotation is always 6-W-2.
    Mount the horse, move forward, acknowledge death.
    English is not my first language.
    edited September 2013
    vortix44 wrote: »
    But isn' PvP even worse? In a dungeon there actually are things that a gwf is able to kill. As for PvP, in all the recent videos I can see uploaded by a gwf, the rotation is always 6-W-2.
    Mount the horse, move forward, acknowledge death.

PvP is where GWF fit in the best.

Whether your playing an aggressive player with full destroyer spec, AOW gear and 20k crits on encounters, using unstoppable to help you get to the target faster and AP/Recovery to lay the pain deep?

Or a Sentinel aggressor and skirmisher, who uses utility abilities and takedown to get to the targets your buddies are killing and finish them off or pull them off of your CWs/DC's, all the while using unstoppable to give us that extra bit of life to hold off that four man crew just long enough for our team to arrive?

Or the full regen Sentinel Titan build, which steps in the middle of the fray and can hold off their whole party, pulling 50% health back up with each unstoppable and 15k regen every time they hit with restoring strike?

That's what I see in PvP, anyhow. There's simply a larger gulf between players who don't know how to play the class and those who do, now. Beforehand, the class was so OP that ANYBODY could play it with ease and win, even if they really had no skill.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

edited September 2013
    I think class balance in PVP and PVE is where it should be for GFs, GWFs, CWs, and TRs. I think this because there are threads almost everyday being created by someone wanting one of these classes nerfed. There would be only one class that everyone would want to nerf if it was majorly unbalanced. The only class that seem to not get these types of threads is the DC class because in my opinion most people agree it has been nerfed to much. Honestly, I think there should be no more nerfs and the DC class should be buffed up a bit because some of the nerfs to it were unreasonable.

Correction: Two threads asking for DCs to be nerfed have popped up, this means the game is balanced.

edited September 2013
    I think class balance in PVP and PVE is where it should be for GFs, GWFs, CWs, and TRs. I think this because there are threads almost everyday being created by someone wanting one of these classes nerfed. There would be only one class that everyone would want to nerf if it was majorly unbalanced. The only class that seem to not get these types of threads is the DC class because in my opinion most people agree it has been nerfed to much. Honestly, I think there should be no more nerfs and the DC class should be buffed up a bit because some of the nerfs to it were unreasonable.

Gotta agree here. DC's seem to be significantly lacking. I don't know enough about the class to really offer advice.

• baktanus666baktanus666 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Whether your playing an aggressive player with full destroyer spec, AOW gear and 20k crits on encounters, using unstoppable to help you get to the target faster and AP/Recovery to lay the pain deep?

Or a Sentinel aggressor and skirmisher, who uses utility abilities and takedown to get to the targets your buddies are killing and finish them off or pull them off of your CWs/DC's, all the while using unstoppable to give us that extra bit of life to hold off that four man crew just long enough for our team to arrive?

Or the full regen Sentinel Titan build, which steps in the middle of the fray and can hold off their whole party, pulling 50% health back up with each unstoppable and 15k regen every time they hit with restoring strike?

That's what I see in PvP, anyhow. There's simply a larger gulf between players who don't know how to play the class and those who do, now. Beforehand, the class was so OP that ANYBODY could play it with ease and win, even if they really had no skill.

Have you really played with these specs or are you just basing them on tooltips? 15k regen every time for sentinel? Really?
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Gotta agree here. DC's seem to be significantly lacking. I don't know enough about the class to really offer advice.

Have all five classes at 60 and mostly geared. DC's need some serious love and Righteousness needs to be seriously re-examined as it just doesn't make sense - particularly in PvP. Still love playing my DC, but the Hammer nerf was ridiculous.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

edited September 2013
    Have you really played with these specs or are you just basing them on tooltips? 15k regen every time for sentinel? Really?

Fair question.

I just recently respecced from a full destroyer build. It did a great job, and my crits where hitting between 15-20k for Indomintable Battle Strike. Very solid.

I am currently a Sentinel skirmisher, and while I lost about 5k on crits just by changing trees (same gear at first), I've got enough life that I can manage four aggressors in GG or Arena fairly well. I don't have the recovery or killing capabilities I had, but my tank is immensely better, especially with the number of bugged deflect bonuses from feats and the valiant armor set, so the character sheet doesn't even come close to reflecting my actual deflect chance.

And yes, my restoring strike can hit for 15k, has hit for 15k. I don't rely on it (9k is more the average), but I've seen those numbers before.

My guild mate, who I worked with side-by-side as we built our gear, put up a Sentinel/Destroyer AoW build which I didn't post, but works fairly well. He's a frontline guy who gets right in the mix and keeps them busy while we play support.

Finally, as many posters here attest, the full Titan-set Sentinel regen build has become a staple for many. I don't have personal experience with it, but you can witness what it can do in a pvp match as plain as day. I have respect for the playstyle, but it's not mine.

One of the crucial bits of information I would like to convey, though, is that they are DIFFERENT playstyles. It's not a one-size-fits-all approach. Between being very aggressive and standing at the point of conflict, soaking damage, to doing like I do and moving constantly harrassing multiple targets without focusing on any one kill, to using that speed to hunt down and execute one victim at a time ... each plays differently.

Which is another reason I feel GWF is such a solid class, and often misunderstood. People pick a destroyer and try to play him as a tank, or get uber aggressive with a regen build and wonder why they don't get alot of kills. You really have to personalize the armor, the feats and your power choice for your actual abilities and playstyle to really make it work, else you'll feel the whole class is broken because it doesn't work for you.

• ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited September 2013
    snip

That all depends on your Tab ability actually working. In 50% of my PvP matches my Tab borks out in the first minute of the match, and in 100% of boss fights when I'm tanking adds it stops functioning within seconds.

When it is working, tho, I run a full regen Titan/Imposing Scrapper Sentinel and it's great fun. I'm about to move my 6 tene's over from my Wizard to my GWF, which will make him insanely OP.

I'm mostly playing my GWF right now because his bugged class abilities affect him least of all from my other class's bugged abilities. My GF is completely ****ed from the block bug and at-wills while blocking bugs, my DC is so thoroughly bugged I almost vomit just looking at him, my TR isn't fun to play at all because stealth bugs as often as Unstoppable. I guess I could play my wizard, who is actually bugged least of all of the classes, but I'm just burnt out on him.

I haven't been playing any PvE at all lately because all my toons are at the point where the only dungeons they need to run are CN and Malabog, and the final boss fights of each are so bugged they aren't fun to play at all.
    edited September 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    That all depends on your Tab ability actually working. In 50% of my PvP matches my Tab borks out in the first minute of the match, and in 100% of boss fights when I'm tanking adds it stops functioning within seconds.

When it is working, tho, I run a full regen Titan/Imposing Scrapper Sentinel and it's great fun. I'm about to move my 6 tene's over from my Wizard to my GWF, which will make him insanely OP.

I'm mostly playing my GWF right now because his bugged class abilities affect him least of all from my other class's bugged abilities. My GF is completely ****ed from the block bug and at-wills while blocking bugs, my DC is so thoroughly bugged I almost vomit just looking at him, my TR isn't fun to play at all because stealth bugs as often as Unstoppable. I guess I could play my wizard, who is actually bugged least of all of the classes, but I'm just burnt out on him.

I haven't been playing any PvE at all lately because all my toons are at the point where the only dungeons they need to run are CN and Malabog, and the final boss fights of each are so bugged they aren't fun to play at all.

GF tabbed abilities are bugged too? Please make a thread similar to the two listed below in the same area and hopefully you will get a response. Panderus, a producer of the game, has responded to both threads and is trying to hopefully get fixes out soon.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?475741-Unstoppable-Bug!!!-FIX-THIS-ASAP <-Main Unstoppable thread.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?485551-Panderus-or-anyone-else-please-Stealth-Bug!!!-FIX-THIS-ASAP!! <-Main Stealth thread.

edited September 2013
    ranncore wrote: »

That's bad business.

My unstoppable has bugged once, during a Karundax DD I was doing with guildies.

Some people are lucky that way, I guess.

• seisem2seisem2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think this game has done a pretty good job balancing all the classes for PVE. Each class can be played at a high level if you play them with the correct build and play style. I'd say there is way more "user error" than game error (ex: people standing in damage or being careless during runs).

Oh and I'm tired of all the hate on GWF.... it's absurd.
    Seisem - DC 13K GS
    Catalina Erantzo - GWF 13.9K GS

<Future> Guild on Dragon - Legit Non Exploit Guild (We are always recruiting great players)

Future Guild Recruitment Thread: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?475381-lt-Future-gt-Legit-Non-Exploit-Guild-Recruiting
  • gek1956gek1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

And IMO the thing that brought down such a crippling nerf. Many premade teams are effectively neutralized when required to split up, like when a GWF goes to their back node and can't be removed by just one other player. It never gets through that a high kill ratio doesn't offset bad strategy and that you can lose most of the battles and still win the war. I have seen them become insanely annoyed and vocal in zone as they fall behind in team points because the rest of my team is owning the other nodes while they waste time chasing me all over so they can slog me down to death... rinse and repeat :D

It appears that Cryptic is just too stubborn to give up trying to use changes in the player character to balance both PVP and PVE, which has been messing up every game of theirs I've played since COX. I would be much more inclined to balance the PVE/PC evenly then use a system of selective factors/on map nerfs/ and other restrictions to render PVP more viable
    edited September 2013
    gek1956 wrote: »
    And IMO the thing that brought down such a crippling nerf. Many premade teams are effectively neutralized when required to split up, like when a GWF goes to their back node and can't be removed by just one other player. It never gets through that a high kill ratio doesn't offset bad strategy and that you can lose most of the battles and still win the war. I have seen them become insanely annoyed and vocal in zone as they fall behind in team points because the rest of my team is owning the other nodes while they waste time chasing me all over so they can slog me down to death... rinse and repeat :D

It appears that Cryptic is just too stubborn to give up trying to use changes in the player character to balance both PVP and PVE, which has been messing up every game of theirs I've played since COX. I would be much more inclined to balance the PVE/PC evenly then use a system of selective factors/on map nerfs/ and other restrictions to render PVP more viable

This going to sound funny but in one match that had two GWFs on the other team my team resulted to the horse racing trick. My entire pug team capped the node near our spawn, waited for the other team to come for it, capped the node nearest the other team's spawn, waited for the other team to come near, capped two, etc. the entire match. My pug team would use teamwork and kill the two players that kept going after us while the rest of their team was recapping the nodes. We did this the entire PVP match,very little fighting, and won by 100 points just by mainly racing from node to node. lol

• glanngalladglanngallad Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    gek1956 wrote: »
    I had the sad experience last week of just about single handedly causing my MC party to fail at the final boss. What did I do wrong? I brought my GWF. Wasted 50K ADs just to be a burden. I was NO USE whatsoever in that fight. You need ranged, fast reacting high single target DPS to shut Valindra down before she auto kills or starts that gate. We just couldn't shut her down fast enough to stop her and it turned into a wipe. I can't think of a worse balancing example than that. With my CW we could have beat it.

As for the toon herself I was lucky with her otherwise, she was already Sentinel specced, So the 'balancing' didn't force me to change her whole concept as it did some people. You don't balance with a sledgehammer. 60% nerf to slam rendered your best go to adds stomping AOE trivial. Its seldom in my tray anymore. Yeah I know the PVP players hated chasing a fast running US using hard to kill GWF around and getting whittled down by the daily, so they cried and cried and cried about node soloing, overpowered, yada yada, and got what they wanted, But it weakened the already gimped class usefulness in team PVE play even more. Still, for solo mission farming the GWF is hard to beat, she's just weaker now.

My CW on the other hand is a very happy camper. Fixing the damage procs for singularity turned it from a crowd herder to a real killer. In normal content it eats the adds and just spits out the boss , very much the worse for wear. I can see having as many as 3 CW on a dungeon team being a very good idea. Till they nerf it back. CWs are for sure the FOTM for now.

TR stealth has always been weak in this game. As a former DM, I know its the hardest thief skill to properly integrate into play. Weakening it more to stop the invisible ranged mayhem that poorer PVP teams got wrecked by didn't make it that much worse. When I get the adds I'm gonna respec mine for executioner like everybody else, and just follow the herd. Its sad though, and I think they should rename the class Thug or Streetfighter, because it is really defined by its single target damage rather than its traditional DnD roles.

Probably no sledgehammer nerf in the game hit as hard as reducing Astral shield's duration for 15 to 10 seconds. I can see this, and I wasn't even in game when it happened.Nerfing this little island of respite for the squishier classes IMO is one of the things that tipped play in the epics, and changed the necessity of hacking your way through endless spawns of mega adds from being merely boring to outright dangerous. Sudden knockdowns and deaths of a party's healer and/or another member often is a sure wipe.

I have 2 suggestions :

1) Put down the sledgehammer. Smaller more gradual changes are less likely to break the game or wreck the average player's playstyle to the point he gets angry and leaves.

2) Balance the PVP game to the classes, instead of changing the classes to improve PVP. The core to leveling and income in this game is still PVE. Simply changing PC powers and gear to fix PVP messes up the rest of the game. The characters are the core of the game, not the environment. You will have to change one side of the game or the other and PVE is your true foundation content. I like PVP and think it adds to the game, but you need to find a way to fix IT, not the characters. It must change to fit the game, not vice versa.

Well said and RIGHT ON!!