test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

On dungeon exploits and how to address them realistically

nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2013 in PvE Discussion
My personal opinion is that there is a sizable number of players that exploit dungeons primarily because of the so-called "trash-adds / trash-mobs" and the time and effort it takes to kill them versus the low reward for doing so.

Having played through every dungeon multiple times (except CN and MC) and levelled multiple characters to 60 in solo content, what I have noticed is that the hitpoints of dungeon (and Skirmish) monsters does not scale very well.

The most basic monsters are generally fine. They have roughly 5x the HP that they have in solo mode. This category includes Zombie Rotters, Imps, Decrepit Skeletons, Wretches, Goblin Cutters etc.

The next tier up monsters have moderately too much HP, but not quite so much that you will notice it all the time, depending on your group. This includes monsters such as Ash Disciple, Troll Grunt, Skeleton Warrior, Battlescarred Orc etc.

On the 3rd tier, monsters start feeling a bit like a grind to kill. They are not overly dangerous but the fight against them (5v1) seems to drag on and get boring. This group includes monsters such as Berserkers, Death Wights, Nothic Mindwarp/Plaguegazer, Eye of Gruumsh, Legion Devils, Hulks, Battlemasters, Arachnomancers

On the 4th tier, monsters tend to deal very high amounts of very avoidable damage but also have so much HP that defies their sometimes otherwise fragile appearance. This group includes Erinyes, Kobold Wyrmpriests, Ogre Savages, Battle Wight Commanders, Loremasters etc

On the final tier, these are what you could consider minibosses, except they are fairly numerous in dungeons and have so much HP that your group spends a good 2-4 minutes per kill, depending on DPS. These are also CC immune. This group includes Plaguechanged Maws, Rimefire Golems, Driders, Magma Brutes etc

While invisible walls can be placed everywhere to make a dungeon linear and prevent a large number of exploits, the run to campfire + wipe issue can never be fully resolved and is what is done most of the time to avoid lengthy unrewarding fights with high HP enemies.

My suggestion would be to look at, and reduce, the HP of these monsters by between 10 and 30% depending on tier in order to:
1. Reduce the need for exploits (which cost potions, kits)
2. Make killing enemies only marginally slower (rather than significantly slower) compared to exploiting

It would also reduce the willingness of individual party members (and thus the entire group) to exploit dungeons, including boss fights, as the adds there can actually be realistically be dealt with at the "required" Gear Score and equipment.

Tier 1 and 2 monsters can keep the HP they have.
Tier 3 monsters should have their HP reduced by 10%
Tier 4 monsters should have their HP reduced by 20%
Tier 5 monsters should have their HP reduced by 30%

Of course only reducing the HP of monsters needs to be compensated by other measures to make the dungeon difficulty not drop like a rock as well.

So I would suggest:
1. Increase the damage dealt by monsters' BASIC ATTACKS by 10% depending on type (The special attacks deal enough damage already, but basic damage is generally a bit low currently)
2. Increasing the number of tier1 monsters by 10% and tier2 monsters by 3% (This indirectly makes it harder to campfire rush)

Increasing monster number indirectly increases coin/loot drops, so little change is needed there, although it would be a nice touch to guarantee a blue item (profession, general) from tier 5 monsters with a small chance of level 5 Enchantments/Runestones or Purple General Item or Profession resource drop.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    People don't exploit because mobs take too much time to kill, they exploit because they are mean suckers.

Do you know how fast high level npcs can die with the right rotations and spells, even with 9k GS? If you can get enough debuffs in your party, driders or maws should be killed pretty quickly. They don't have a lot of HPs but a lot of damage resistance instead.

If you feel mobs don't die fast enough then i suggest you blame the rogue for not using duellist flurry and wicked reminder and the CW for not using the laser beam on some high HP last bosses like frozen heart.
  • zalcszalcs Banned Users Posts: 345 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    The real issue is that everything drops <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, imo. But yeah, they have waaay too much hp. (maws etc)
  • munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    They need to change the loot tables in the dungeons.

As it stands, people bounce anything and everything they can, skip, exploit etc past everything they can because 1.Its quicker, and 2.there is no point killing 800 adds because they all drop <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> loot.

T1 dungeons - Trash mobs need to randomly drop T1 items. Not items specific to that particular dungeon, but the whole T1 loot table, as in..could be a ring, neck, boots helm weapon offhand etc.

T2 dungeons - Same thing as above, except trash mobs randomly dropping T2 gear in T2 dungeons. As well as those Tokens that give you 40kad when turned in(cant member the name)

Last but not least. BOSSES SHOULD ALWAYS DROP 1 PURPLE ITEM!!! For the love of god stop making boss's drop ONLY blue items...seriously Cryptic, wtf were you thinking when you thought this was a good idea?

Do this..and I 100% Guarantee no one will be pushing mobs off ledges, and no one will skip ANYTHING.
  • k1ll3xk1ll3x Member Posts: 34
    edited September 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    People don't exploit because mobs take too much time to kill, they exploit because they are mean suckers.

Do you know how fast high level npcs can die with the right rotations and spells, even with 9k GS?
    Stop writing everywhere your pathetic BS about 9k gs and blaming everyone who skips. If u r unbelievably braindead that doesn't mean skippers should kill everything. You posted a video of 9 k gs party finishing ToS or spellplague without skipping and pushing off ledges? then shut up and go do your dailies and other bugged content.
    Reasons why ppl skip or exploit are listed before: no rewards, too much time, unadjusted difficulty, NO boss fight mechanics, NO special content in dungeons, dungeons are simply corridors with mobs rehashed from regular zones with buttload of hp added, and 3 bosses, which represent (apart from bugs) big mob with ton of hp (again) who summons other mobs with a bit less hp. their behaviour in fights depends on original behaviour of regular mobs in zones, no creativity, no adjusting, no scripts or even simpliest mechanics. Did I mention 90% of bosses are bugged?
  • alderonthedracoalderonthedraco Member Posts: 82
    edited September 2013
    I do not like to go on a dugeon and pick up the same items in boss blues I can foundrys and doing dailys ... Nobody like to stay in one place for an hour killing the same mobs that he killed hundreds of times to leveling your character.
  • kwequakwequa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Just make everything you don't kill show up with the final boss. Pushing off ledges seem a legal strategy to me in a fight as long as its a good drop or lava,etc. Seen than in other games.. Maybe more mini boss types and less trash mobs. Last boss ideas..2 bosses you have to keep seperate, pillars to activate, mobs to NOT kill, bombs to plant on boss, safe areas you have to be at for boss aoe..less adds.. Basic EQ2 stuff. Chance at certain purple from mini bosses that doesn't come from main.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeffjetsjeffjets Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    They could easily fix the run to campfire issue by making them not function unless you click on them and channel an ability that unlocks them. Make it only work if you don't have agro and make it like a 10 second cast. Then people can't just run and die at the camp fire. Problem solved.
  • geekheinzgeekheinz Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Here's a legitimate Speedrun of Morrowind including sequence-breaking and glitch usage.
    http://speeddemosarchive.com/Morrowind.html
    It's not legitimate in other categories.

I always ask the Party at the beginning how they want to do it.
    diogene0 wrote: »

Do you know how fast high level npcs can die with the right rotations and spells, even with 9k GS? If you can get enough debuffs in your party, driders or maws should be killed pretty quickly. They don't have a lot of HPs but a lot of damage resistance instead.

If you feel mobs don't die fast enough then i suggest you blame the rogue for not using duellist flurry and wicked reminder and the CW for not using the laser beam on some high HP last bosses like frozen heart.
  • odd111outodd111out Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Speed runs and exploits are a function of the economy and the AH, not because people are mean or because they don't like killing things. I rather like running dungeons, but let's face it... BoP has only made things worse. What leads to exploiting is the boss drop itself and the high cost of enchantments.

Level 9-10 enchantments are millions a peice and Perfect Vorpals run 7-10 million a peice. Calculate how many daily skirmishes and foundries it's going to take to earn one. And take a look at Castle Never weapons. I have run 141 Castle Nevers and won a end boss loot roll once. I have done either 2/3 or 3/3 153 Malborg Castles and won one fragment. What motivation do I have to spend 1 1/2 hr in Castle Never with a group that may wipe on the final boss only to get a bound T1 item from the end chest?
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Said it numerous time already, make trash rewarding so people would have a reason to kill it. Also stop the blue item drops from epic dungeons, what kind of insult is that to your players?!?

You don't know how to make this work, kindly take a look at World of Warcraft better expacs such as TBC and how raid tiers and itemization was done. Take a special, prolonged look at what raid trash mobs dropped.

It not a shame to learn from people that are better than yourself.
  • odd111outodd111out Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The level of making trash more rewarding to kill would be to drop preservation wards and rank 5 enchantments in T2 epics. Blue items should not come out of chests certainly, but dropping from trash isn't necessarily the problem. Pick up a Greater Ring of Health and that's about 200,000 AD last I checked. If you had random drops from trash there'd be little speed runs to the boss and a new bread of exploiters who trash clear and drop party at some point. If you tried to counter that by making the random purple drops BoP (which some T1 gear would likely be automatically), you will still make more AD per minute in GG. If you know what you are doing you can hit your daily conversion cap of 24,000 in 45 mintues of gameplay. So still, you'd have no incentive to clear the trash in a T2 just because random T1 purple BoP loot was dropped.
    edited November 2013
    odd111out wrote: »
    The level of making trash more rewarding to kill would be to drop preservation wards and rank 5 enchantments in T2 epics. Blue items should not come out of chests certainly, but dropping from trash isn't necessarily the problem. Pick up a Greater Ring of Health and that's about 200,000 AD last I checked. If you had random drops from trash there'd be little speed runs to the boss and a new bread of exploiters who trash clear and drop party at some point. If you tried to counter that by making the random purple drops BoP (which some T1 gear would likely be automatically), you will still make more AD per minute in GG. If you know what you are doing you can hit your daily conversion cap of 24,000 in 45 mintues of gameplay. So still, you'd have no incentive to clear the trash in a T2 just because random T1 purple BoP loot was dropped.

Nah, trash should drop awesome purple craft patterns, pieces of a legendary weapon that takes months to get, stuff like this. Bosses should be more rewarding than the trash so people would still go for them.

As for a new breed of farmers, farming is unavoidable in MMOs. This is how people make "money", unless they... you know. So farming is OK. Botting is not however, if you had that in mind, but I don't know if botting t2s is possible.
    edited November 2013
    double post please delete
  • elricthedullelricthedull Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    munkey81 wrote: »
    They need to change the loot tables in the dungeons.

As it stands, people bounce anything and everything they can, skip, exploit etc past everything they can because 1.Its quicker, and 2.there is no point killing 800 adds because they all drop <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> loot.

T1 dungeons - Trash mobs need to randomly drop T1 items. Not items specific to that particular dungeon, but the whole T1 loot table, as in..could be a ring, neck, boots helm weapon offhand etc.

T2 dungeons - Same thing as above, except trash mobs randomly dropping T2 gear in T2 dungeons. As well as those Tokens that give you 40kad when turned in(cant member the name)

Last but not least. BOSSES SHOULD ALWAYS DROP 1 PURPLE ITEM!!! For the love of god stop making boss's drop ONLY blue items...seriously Cryptic, wtf were you thinking when you thought this was a good idea?

Do this..and I 100% Guarantee no one will be pushing mobs off ledges, and no one will skip ANYTHING.

I like this idea, the exception to it would be this: Trash drops the t1 or t2 rings, neck, belt, etc. and the bosses drop comparable purples to t1/2, and the final boss drops the set item. That way your encouraged to kill trash, and not skip it entirely.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    When module 2 releases, the enchanting catalysts may provide a reason to kill the trash mobs. The blue quality refining catalysts needed for rank 6 to ? enchants cost 25k AD in the Wondrous Bazaar but can be found in skill nodes (or as boss drops) in epic dungeons. The top level catalysts are only found in boss drops, but this would be an incentive to clear the trash out and get the nodes. A 25k item for a few silver is nothing to sneeze at.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    The main fix would be adjusting the loot table of the final boss while the drop chances would depend on the content you skipped during your run (e.g. an item has a drop chance of 0.5% for a 95-100% cleaned dungeon but only 0.2% for a 70% cleared dungeon etc.). I have written in another post what bosses should drop. They should not only drop 1 item, but dozens, from vendor trash to crafting mats and AD to uber-rare stuff like special cloaks, mounts, companions, transmutables, dyes, fashion cloths etc. that all reflect the dungeon's setting. So for example a special spider mount that only drops in ToS while Karrundax would drop an Imp companion. All BoP items because it should not be a profit but a personal motivation to collect the stuff. On top of that fix some obvious problems (like click a campfire to activate it out of combat, reset health of bosses once they take damage but can't hit back in a certain period of time and so forth) and dungeons should have some motivation again.