test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Class that requires the least amount of turning? (motion sick issues)

jaxlee79jaxlee79 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering which class requires the least amount of turning the camera? My wife who loves these kinds of games and used to be a hard core raider in world of Warcraft really wants to play this game with me, however she is finding the game makes her quite motion sick, her first character was a trickster rogue and with in 20 minutes of playing she felt very ill. We were hoping that we could change the game settings from how the mouse currently looks around to a more standard camera style like other MMO's but alas that is not possible.
She asked me today if there was a class that did not necessarily need to spin the camera around so much.

Does anyone have any advice on a class that might be suited to her ? or is there some kind of video settings we could try to help reduce the motion sickness?

Thank you for your help!
Post edited by jaxlee79 on

Comments

• fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It's not a class solution, but has she tried popping a Gravol before playing? Maybe that is not feasible?
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Probably CW and the command /gfxsetdefaultfov <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> (Default is quite low iirc, 55 or so, I recommend trying 75 to 85).
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    In general, the closer you are to the thick of the action, the more your camera angle is going to be changing. So try a ranged class (DC, CW).
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • banecrushrbanecrushr Member Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Not sure if your going to find a toon that doesnt require you move and change views alot... they all have to be moving, and once doing dungeons, it's evern worst and more fast paced due to running off red areas which seem to find your toons feet no mater where you run to. She might try a cleric or CW, at the very least she may be able to get on the outside edges and still be viable to the group. as far as settings, I don't think I would want to lower anything, that will most likely make it worst for her.

GL bro
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Sir, were now surrounded"!
    Thats great news son, now we can attack from ALL sides"!
  • frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Wrong game for her, the key to become good at this game is to move, move, keep moving and then move.

The combat is so awesome, active, confusing, vibrant and chaotic that we kinda forgive all the other faults in the game... not a combat for static people.
  • goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I remember reading about this a while back, this affliction affects most women and some men. It always happened to me when I played fps games like halo or them stupid COD games my bf like to play, so I just quit and focused on other games. People will say take drugs but I think that's worse. I heard a bigger screen will cause this more often or the angle you're looking at the screen.
    But to answer your question every class I've played have tons of camera turning especially during pvp or boss fights. So she might be saved from "playing" this game. I would suggest she play PoE, it has 0 camera turning and really fun.:)
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I remember reading about this a while back, this affliction affects most women and some men. It always happened to me when I played fps games like halo or them stupid COD games my bf like to play, so I just quit and focused on other games. People will say take drugs but I think that's worse. I heard a bigger screen will cause this more often or the angle you're looking at the screen.
    But to answer your question every class I've played have tons of camera turning especially during pvp or boss fights. So she might be saved from "playing" this game. I would suggest she play PoE, it has 0 camera turning and really fun.:)

I can't play Halo for more than 30 minutes without being sick.

That said, I can play NW a long time due to camera is FAR back as possible and tilt as if I'm almost looking from the top (bird eye view)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hi im a female, ad I get motion sick as well, also I grew up near blind and wear thick glasses. It hurt a lot Especially when I first started playing this game. but I didn't want to say anything cause hubby had bought me a 200$ drow pack. I addition to motion fog and post production effects hurt a lot. I can NOT play halo and certain areas in WOW hurt as well such as undead starter zone, unless I adjust graphics due to blur they put on it.

Also my first character was ALSO a TR unfortunately which can be the worst class to play especially in stealth since you not only have a lot of motion and auto turning you cant even see yourself! , Lurkers assult was especially bad since the screen went all grey.
    this is what helped me the most.

Red dye

I got a big firkin hoopskirt with a huge red ribbon in the back. Not sure why but it really helped a lot. Maybe cause my eyes could track the color easier.

I also turned off shadows, dynamic lighting, and fog effects. ( after I got more used to the game I raised the graphics)
    I do similar to Champions online. they have less movement but the colors are painfully bright.

my...Best classes are CW and DC cause you sit half a mile away behind a box and shoot things.

but I also have a very motion oriented TR (not recommending this) now I actually got a lot of the immunity powers itc, deft strike and bloodbath. while on the surface these seem very motion intensive the motion is jerky not turny. and since you have immunity you can close your eyes while in use. I also often use aoes like path of blades and blitz. though id avoid blitz/decoy/bloodbath anywhere near ledges.(Particularly if you close your eyes)

for stealth I often don't even look at stealth bar I count.... during count im often rapid clicking duelst

stealth ...1...2..3..4....decoy 1..2..3..4... ITC or big blade.... AOE....Stealth ...1.2..3..4... thus I can literally play... blind... by sound since the attacks try to find a foe for me... deft strike is also good for trying to play blind since it auto puts you close enough to a foe to hit. this way you can just look at your health bar which is nice and still.

in use, also I rigged up some key binds to turn camera instantly (without a turn) then the character(not the camera) turns when you start fighting. /bind key adjustcamerayaw 180 <you can do lesser degrees for keyboard turning like -30 and 30 its choppier than the mouse but that may not be a bad thing.>

if she really wants melee a GF is good since its the only one without a dash move to avoid red
    the big issue with it is it only blocks in front of you so she may want to add an insta turn key-bind as described above. so that she controls the turning not the combat. also a really really good power for a motion sick person on a gf is Knights challenge it sticks a small translucent red line between you and your chosen foe. so you just play follow the line if the foe runs and don't even look at the foe at all just at the nice steady line.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The class that would be the absolute best for her would be a permastealth PvE Trickster Rogue. With permastealth in PvE the player controls the pace of the action, not the enemies, as most of the elements that cause the need for quick movement don't come into play. However, this only works well if playing solo or if all players in the group are permastealth PvE TRs, as if one player, or even pet, is visible, then much of the advantage of permastealth is lost. The build is also fairly dependent on PvP sets that boost the stealth bar to make it work well. Banelorne has an excellent guide for this build in the TR section if you are interested.

Another choice that could be good for her is a Guardian Fighter. With their ability to raise a shield, and other survivability elements of the class, they are the most forgiving when it comes to being caught in red patches. They do have some abilities that move the character very quickly, but they could be swapped out for less disorienting ones. This character can paired up with anything, which may make it a better choice than the permastealth TR, and also isn't tied as much to particular sets.
  • sevdaisevdai Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I have similar problems when playing. I get dizzy if things spin or move too quickly and end up with vertigo, sort of. I have an easier time with the ranged characters, CW and DC, since I can stay back more, out of the fray. I did try a GWF and just couldn't handle it at all.

Added in with the motion issues, I also have an older, slower computer, so things tend to lag a lot on me. I'll have no movement for a moment and everything catches up, so it moves all at once. Talk about disorienting! Trying to corral those stupid chickens in the festival has proven quite the challenge for me!
    edited September 2013
    trick to chicken carraling one go to a low pop zone (obvious) near the broken bridge there is a pig that spaws chase him out out from under the bridge into bush or river then circle behind it and just run it straight twards the lowest point in the fence. (if you did river then just the the right of small v shaped tree. its a streight shot along the road. you can sometimes even herd up to 3 chickens.

on the other side (a bit harder) but has less people on the big corn field left side next to big twisty tree a LOT of pigs spawn you can run the pigs along the ridge ( not on the road) twards the place where fence meets wall. ive seen a guy herd up to 3 pigs this way and it can be done on foot. but it is harder cause if the pigs hit the road they try to run into the bushes every time.
  • fennelfennel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Make sure to go to options/gameplay/camera shake and turn that off. I also turn off double tap to sprint, because it never does it when I want it to, only when I least expect it. :>

I play a cleric and don't need to do much in the way of dodging. Sometimes I calmly step out of the red zone on the floor.

The damage for a cleric is quite decent in this game, and you have the added benefit of being able to help other players, while staying out of the thick of the action where the most frenetic camera movements are going on.

There have been games that really made me queasy--sadly, Morrowind, a game I loved, basically had a timer on it for me. Go past that hour mark and be *urhgle* for another couple of hours. But playing cleric in Neverwinter, I haven't gotten that feeling--except for when camera shake has accidentally gotten turned back on.
  • nachobizniznachobizniz Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Cleric with low aggro so you don't have to move around as much. Heal spam and let others do the hacking.
  • yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've got all 5 classes and my usual playstyle is that I'm all over the place, keeping track of as much as I can.

That said, a TR who sticks to the boss is pretty stationary, and a DC with (a team with) good threat-management can be quite laid-back too. CW's tend to draw a lot of attention from the smaller mobs and require a lot of dodging.

But best bet would be to type "/gfxSetDefaultFOV xx" in a chat-channel to adjust your Field of Vision. (It's like using 'zoom' on a camera) The default setting is nice for when you have one of those very old monitors, but widescreens requires something else. It's trial and error but I reckon you'll end up with something like 80 or so.
  • jaxlee79jaxlee79 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Thank you everyone for your help, we will give it a go tonight and hope for the best!
  • goldmember7goldmember7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited September 2013
    Motion sickness (or in this case "simulator sickness") is caused by that the delay between your input and the visual feedback from the screen is too long. This is sometimes called input latency. If you can lower it, you might no longer suffer from the symptoms you describe. For that I recommend turning off any type of v-sync (but you will get tearing instead), make sure your frames per second is at least as high as your screen refresh (usually 60) and use a wired mouse. Also I found that ambient light in the room can make a difference, so you could experiment with that. FOV, like yerune said, can also make a difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ive heard of people who have such bad Motion Sickness that they keep a bucket near them when they play MMOs. I would first highly suggest a Ranged class. Something they won't require you to have to duck and dodge and ofc turn. At least with a ranged class you can strafe dodge and try to turn less.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drakesigardrakesigar Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Tell her to put some points in constitution.

Kidding! Motion sickness is an annoyance for me too, but thankfully it doesn't crop up in games often. I might also reccomend a GF, being one myself. They're basically able to just stand in one place and trade shots with the 20 foot behemoth in front of them depending on your specs. Costal erosion happens faster than I move.
    Check out Adventuring College! A 20 minute male-centric comedic solo adventure.
    Quest ID: NW-DPCZNUVQ7
  • insomniacgluttoninsomniacglutton Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I have the same problem so I can relate. It's especially bad on FPS games because of the vision range. Ranged classes are probably easier to play since they don't need to turn to see the enemies they need to hit in PvE (control wizards and clerics). Melees are a bit tougher since trickster rogues can pop up behind enemies and change the viewpoint and guardian fighters need to face the enemy to block attacks.

However, what I think'll be most helpful is widening the area she can view around her character. You can set it with the command '/gfxsetdefaultfov ##'. Try putting it to 70 to 90. It'll allow her to see behind her character so that she won't need to turn as much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    you know what really make me sick? Bloom and shadow. I have to turn those off in order to play.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    jaxlee79 wrote: »
    Hello, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering which class requires the least amount of turning the camera? My wife who loves these kinds of games and used to be a hard core raider in world of Warcraft really wants to play this game with me, however she is finding the game makes her quite motion sick, her first character was a trickster rogue and with in 20 minutes of playing she felt very ill. We were hoping that we could change the game settings from how the mouse currently looks around to a more standard camera style like other MMO's but alas that is not possible.
    She asked me today if there was a class that did not necessarily need to spin the camera around so much.

Does anyone have any advice on a class that might be suited to her ? or is there some kind of video settings we could try to help reduce the motion sickness?

Thank you for your help!

I'm afraid that ACTION based MMO RPG's are not a game designed for motion sickness players. Since the targets move around a lot and you have to face your character to attack there is a lot more motion in these types of MMO's than TAB target based ones.

You may even want to look at side scrolling games like maplestory as it's 2d side scrolling vs. 3d motion.
  • kwequakwequa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Try turning most stuff that makes it look 3d kinda. Bloom' shadows,etc.. smaller monitor, well lite room, use speakers not headset as it imparts "surroundings" more. Eat pickled ginger..we used it on boats when guiding fishing. You need a horizon to focus some of the time besides the monitor. Distractions I guess. Just ideas.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    Heh ive gotten just as sick in tab targeting games as I have in Action based. Especially the ones that try to keep you facing the target you tab to. And as that one guy said a lot of it is sensory input. you will find over time you will get used to the motion and you will need less special tricks to reduce motion.

Just follow the help full hints and give it a go. also keep in mind you don't have to marathon level, you can play with auction, tradeskills, roleplay if your feeling queasy. Take things slow. in a lot of ways the combat in this game is much more forgiving than most Tab target mmos.