test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Weapon/artificer crafting. What's the point?

maisaanmaisaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 166
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
From what I understand, you have to be lvl 20 in those crafts, get epic equipment to craft a bop weapon and everything else you can craft no one is going to buy anyway.
I'm wondering if this is the future for crafting in NW?

With this, your forcing people to craft a profession they didn't want to do and it's not good for the community either.
We have a member that almost only play NW because he like to craft for the guild, today he told me (after considering it a couple of days) that he would probable stop playing.

I feel forced to take up a crafting (I don't like crafting) if I want the Fomorian Fabled weapon.
If I don't want to craft it, there is no reason for me to do Malaborg or Sharandar at all.

I like to have goals when I play a game, but using my few crafting slots for a craft that is useless after one craft, is not a goal I aim for.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    That really is kind of an over sight. Nothing crafted should be bind on pickup, unless its alternate/better versions of the weapon that can only be made for the crafter.

If its the latter, thats okay to me.

But the way it is now is a bit ridiculous for the end crafter. The end crafter essentially wouldnt have no reason to craft or keep crafting.
  • Options
    yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Crafting in this game is boring, pointless and frustrating. In other games you can craft while adventuring and basically make stuff you need while adventuring. In other games you can make a living out of crafting, from making valuable weapons and armor, furniture stuff for homes, consumables like arrows, enhancements for weapons and armor or updates for spells/abilities. In other games there are crafting quests, stuff you can earn to level your guild, get titles, gain unique stuff usable in crafting or adventuring or whatever.

Crafting in Neverwinter gives you nothing. The items are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, nowadays blue items drop so often that anything you can craft is weaker anyway (besides shirts and pants). There is not even some kind of commission crafting system where you can craft bound items directly into the backpack of someone else while he pays you for it (similar to trading items). There are no receipes one can find over the world, from monster drops or that can be bought somewhere ingame or special receipes to buy for events. There is a set of receipes every crafter has and that's it.

Also the mechanic of craftig prerequisites is just old-fashioned. They could just make the final receipe and make it a 5 hour craft then - in the end it is the same anyway. Everything you craft as a prerequiste is a time-sink on the way to the final product.

In other games crafting really was useful. Making potions, food and drinks, arrows... for the guild or the high end spells or very good gear for endgame players. With that I earned lots of ingame currency in other games. In Neverwinter potions drop so often that every Alchemist must be dumb to craft hours to make one health potion or whatever for selling it.

The whole crafting needs to be redone. The current state is just plain boring and pointless. Like PVP it looks more like some kind of excuse that it is also in the game... because other games have that, too, so that had to bring something.
  • Options
    arcademasterarcademaster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    maisaan wrote: »
    If I don't want to craft it, there is no reason for me to do Malaborg or Sharandar at all.

Well you can sell the fragments you would have needed to craft it for pretty high amounts of AD. So at least there is that.
    But in general I agree, this was a bad idea.

Especially if the next Module brings a better weapon again that can be aquired without crafting. You'll look back at the 3M AD minimum you spent on this one (for assets) and I doubt many people will say it has been worth it.
  • Options
    marcioohmarciooh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited September 2013
    So many people complain, it's horrible. I would nearly believe that everyone on this forum plays solo and not in a guild.

A guild means:
    - Cooperation in epic dungeons
    - When doing these dungeons and the screw up loot system choses the same lucky player time after time; willing to give the Malabog's Fragment free to guild mates (or change the loot system to leader decides or free loot)
    - Sharing profession assets
    - Instead of selling items on the AH, put them in the guild for sharing first; if you do so, others will do the same
    - Progress is not made alone, unless you have deep pockets and spend tons of Zen, progress is made as a team
    - So many people complaining about queus for epic dungeons; what about you join a guild where is a team to do the dungeons?
    - Read all above things, put them into practice and many complains will just vanish from the forums
    - After all above, this game will look way more attractive to new players!

I spend a reasonable amount of Zen to get some assets, also spending AD on the AH for other assets. I put them all up for sharing in the guild. When people notice they need to spend halve or more than halve less on the AH they notice they save up AD. That either will lead to spending less time in AD-benefit events, like foundry, dungeons etc. and will lead to more people sharing what they got and invest more time in guild events.

Guild cooperation leads to satisfaction, solo playing leads to boredness.
    "Every online game requires more to give than it offers or it's not worth actually playing. Even though we all know this we still decide to play anyway."

:cool:
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    marciooh wrote: »

But there are so many things that actively discourage guild cooperation - one example being BoP crafted items - it is somewhat pointless to have a designated guild crater that can make items like reinforced gauntlets.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    marcioohmarciooh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited September 2013
    But the items you need from Malabog's Castle, the fragments, are not BoP. And you can change loot set up, I believe also something which allows the leader to appoint the loots to the person who needs it. That way you can gather quite some materials from there and distribute them effectively.
    "Every online game requires more to give than it offers or it's not worth actually playing. Even though we all know this we still decide to play anyway."

:cool:
  • Options
    chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Not to mention that the market will eventually be flooded with epic weaponsmithing assets. People will use them once for the t2.5 weapon, then sell. No one has any incentive to hold onto them and they will become as common as alchemist assistants. This sort of oversight makes me think they fired people who knew what they were doing and have brainless people running the show now.
  • Options
    kaltastickaltastic Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Most games have at least some sort of synch between the level of items you can craft and the level of your character if you do them together. In NW, char leveling is so fast and crafting so slow that you are pretty much crafting low level <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to vendor while leveling
  • Options
    koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    kaltastic wrote: »
    Most games have at least some sort of synch between the level of items you can craft and the level of your character if you do them together. In NW, char leveling is so fast and crafting so slow that you are pretty much crafting low level <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to vendor while leveling
    The only exceptions really is if you have a character that just crafts, or prays and crafts (I have one of these as an experiment). In that case you can craft items that keep up or are a few levels ahead of the level progression.
  • Options
    millertime197933millertime197933 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    The problem with crafting is that you can easily obtain better items just by playing the game. Even a casual player can. You are likely already decked out if you can afford to make the best items, and selling them on the AH isn't going to cover the millions of AD you have to invest to reach the high point. Gemmed shirts and pants may be the exception as the dragon eggs from the tymora event filter out.

I think the developers should focus on the "reinforced" items, where you can upgrade an existing item. I believe if they expanded this to where you can upgrade all of your items, not just your bracers, then that would make it viable again. Also since most epic sets re now bind on pickup, they should remove the auto bind on pickup that reinforcing does to items so that the crafter can purchase existing, much rarer, bind on equip purple items that dropped off bosses and improve those for resale. In order to invest time and money into a craft, it needs to be something that will be profitable and/or a way for an individual player to upgrade their own gear. Making something in between a t1 and t2 weapon, armor, whatever just isn't motivation to do it as it just isn't that hard as it is easier to run a dungeon and farm your drop vs. purchasing from a crafter.

In regards to alchemy, the potions made need to be unique. Isn't there one that restores AP? If so that is good. But making things that you can buy in the store for gold is a waste. I would want a potion that heals for more, or gives a larger buff than what you can buy, or some other creative buffs that there currently are not potions for such as movement, or bonuses similar to what feats provide (increase % dmg, stealth lasts longer, cooldowns on encounters decreased, etc).
  • Options
    rokoilrokoil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    upgrade an existing item / I would want a potion that heals for more, .

I too would like to upgrade equipment or make truly unique equipment. (something along the Diablo III crafting would be cool, in the manner of the unique items it creates.
    There are some Distilled Heals that give hp and regen effect. But the cost (time and ingredients) to craft them is far too great to sell for any profit. And, really not worth it for personal consumption.
    Bring back the Boots of the Gargoyle! -NWN-
  • Options
    krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    maisaan wrote: »
    From what I understand, you have to be lvl 20 in those crafts, get epic equipment to craft a bop weapon and everything else you can craft no one is going to buy anyway.
    I'm wondering if this is the future for crafting in NW?

With this, your forcing people to craft a profession they didn't want to do and it's not good for the community either.
    We have a member that almost only play NW because he like to craft for the guild, today he told me (after considering it a couple of days) that he would probable stop playing.

I feel forced to take up a crafting (I don't like crafting) if I want the Fomorian Fabled weapon.

I like to have goals when I play a game, but using my few crafting slots for a craft that is useless after one craft, is not a goal I aim for.

The BoP change screwed up this game for good... Everyone is complaining about it, and if it goes on and they keep ignoring us, everyone will leave soon for better games...
  • Options
    archomentalarchomental Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I think what their strategy behind these new "endgame" crafted
    weapons was to make it a grind for most people to give you a reason
    to log in every day (all the evidence points that way).

Oh yea, let me give more proof: Do the math on how many CN clears you need
    in order to buy the new armor set (BTW if you are planning to do that, hit it
    during the DD event since the chest drops more tokens).

The grind with the new summer event going on now I found actually fun for a day
    or 2. At least it didn't force me to do it.
  • Options
    sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    marciooh wrote: »

I suppose everyone's experiences are different but I'm of the opinion that Guilds suck dragon d@ng more often than not. I'm happy that this game is as solo friendly as it is.
  • Options
    maisaanmaisaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 166
    edited September 2013
    It doesn't matter to me that I have to grind Malaborg or any other place to get what I want and I don't mind if it takes months to get the items required(I'm having fun with my guild while doing this) but I think the items should be crafted, either in the campaign window or by a an npc in Shandara without any further requirements than the crafting items.

I know some crafters atm are selling their rare and epic weapon/artificer stuff, because they also predict that the price will go drastic down when these weapons are old news.
  • Options
    mytgroomytgroo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 165 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I have been selling +3 Battleaxes for around 1200 a.d. each. They are a different weapon appearance. I am hoping to get a very high level battleaxe eventually for my character.