test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Eye of the Storm vs. Chilling Presence

borken69borken69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
edited August 2013 in The Library
This is probably buried somewhere deep within another thread or 5, but why am I seeing so many people advocating CP over EotS? Based solely on my purely anecdotal evidence of farming dungeons with the same group, I see a fairly consistent 10% total damage increase with EotS. I'm using Plague Fire currently but I intend to switch to Vorpal.

Have numbers been crunched proving that CP is better?
Post edited by borken69 on

Comments

• vaschevasche Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I always take eye of the storm and storm spell. There is no way to have a higher dps than that.
  • freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 342
    edited August 2013
    I much prefer Eye of the Storm over Chilling Presence. I have no data to support my preference.

I choose Eye of the Storm because more crits = more damage and more AP gain.

Simple logic would say that if you crit without Eye of the Storm then Chilling Presence would have been better when you had crit. If you didn't crit and you don't have Eye of the Storm slotted, then it could be said that had you slotted Eye of the Storm, that normal hit might have been a crit... therefore at certain levels of critical chance, Chilling Presence will become more valuable.

Since I don't intend to pass well over 30% critical chance, I prefer Eye of the Storm.
  • kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    vasche wrote: »
    I always take eye of the storm and storm spell. There is no way to have a higher dps than that.
    Evocation in cases of AoE is even better :)
    edited August 2013
    Are there any numbers to support evocation has more dps over storm spell?
  • drsconedrscone Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Are there any numbers to support evocation has more dps over storm spell?

Well, it depends on what you have slotted. I used to have CS on tab, Steal Time and Shield - three AoEs. Now with only Steal time as an encounter it's no longer worth it since Sudden Storm and CoI aren't classed as AoEs...
    Tele Savalas, Dwarf Thaumaturge CW
    Putting the Buff into Debuff since 2013 \o/ (Does that even make sense)?
    edited August 2013
    Why is everyone using sudden storm? I have entangle mastery, coi, shard of avalanche, and steal time. What kind of utility does suddenstorm provide?
  • kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    High DPS.
    Btw, EF on tab is a waste of mastery slot.
    edited August 2013
    Why is everyone using sudden storm? I have entangle mastery, coi, shard of avalanche, and steal time. What kind of utility does suddenstorm provide?

If you switch SotEA for Sudden Storm, you will gain a lot of damage. Sudden Storm has a much lower cooldown and better damage than SotEA.

EF on mastery is not a waste, it provides a lot of AP gain on groups of mobs. I prefer CoI on mastery in general and Icy Rays on mastery for single target.
    edited August 2013
    No it is definitely not, the ap gain is awesome and the extended choke duration is a great lifesaver, and I do the highest damage in malabog runs by at least twice the person below me. I'm sitting at 10k gs with a t2 weapon.

And sotea has greatly extended my survivability in dungeons. Sudden is just straight damage, and does not build high vizier stacks
    edited August 2013
    Highest - what? If you run with useless classes, like rogues or GWF's, i can believe. With good mage with damaging spell on tab you will lose.
    I have enough AP to cast daily on every pack in malabog. SotEA, Sudden Storm, Steal Time and CoI mastery.
    edited August 2013
    I can say I have been significantly out geared and I still out dps people by 2x or more, this is with other hv wizards as well
    edited August 2013
    No it is definitely not, the ap gain is awesome and the extended choke duration is a great lifesaver, and I do the highest damage in malabog runs by at least twice the person below me. I'm sitting at 10k gs with a t2 weapon.

And sotea has greatly extended my survivability in dungeons. Sudden is just straight damage, and does not build high vizier stacks

One cast of steal time will get you HV stacks, won't it?

SotEA is great. I just mean that Sudden Storm has more damage.
  • drsconedrscone Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I use SS because of its massive damage, fast cooldown and, when it does a lot of damage, high AP gain. Since it doesn't have a target limit you can easily hit 10 or more targets, especially when used in conjunction with Steal Time or Icy Terrain and CoI on tab. Now that it crits it really does churn out some big numbers. You do need to make sure the rest of your build can keep things bunched up and stunned / frozen though because hitting a moving target is a lottery. It has it's uses against things that don't move so much though, like bosses and those irritating archers.
    Tele Savalas, Dwarf Thaumaturge CW
    Putting the Buff into Debuff since 2013 \o/ (Does that even make sense)?
  • kobrakai2kobrakai2 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    The perma-singularity build is dead, people need to adapt and stop using shield/entangling.

Lately I've been doing dungeons without using singularity, shield, or entangling force at all, and nobody has complained to me yet.
    edited August 2013
    I see thank you freedom and yes steal time will do that but I like to keep the stacks up constantly! And I really like sotea for the prone. It has saved me countless times, I would consider switching coi for sudden storm but since I am thaum I feel dirty if coi is not in my skill bar. I might try and do a brief write up later today. But for now I am at work haha. I used to run coi on tab but I feel that my current build really maximizes dps and control with ef on mastery. I cant wait to get a cat and half decent stats.

Perma singularity is not dead thats for sure! I have not touched shield since the patch but I am able to send out singularities along with the occasional oppressive force at a very good rate.

Again I'm running eye of the storm and storm spell.
    Ef master and
    Coi, SotEA, and steal time.

I also use chilling cloud and storm pillar as my at wills for most dungeon runs where there is not much opportunity for single target dps.
    edited August 2013
    Side note: Sudden Storm is terrible against those stupid runners :P they constantly position behind the player so it's almost impossible to hit them unless they are stunned.
    Again I'm running eye of the storm and storm spell.
    Ef master and
    Coi, SotEA, and steal time.

I use almost the same set up except:
    CoI mastery
    Steal Time, Icy Terrain, Sudden Storm

The same might be acceptable for you, but only if you're looking for a change. Could replace Icy Terrain with SotEA.

Since you use EF on mastery, it makes a standard CoI more effective because mobs are drawn in to the CoI... it's all about what works for the player.
    edited August 2013
    I am definitely looking for a change, I have not yet used my respec but after this thread, I will be polishing out a new build on the test server! I used to run a similar build except I had the shard :) sorry about the thread hijacking but the feedback from you guys is awesome. I will try to contribute some more of my experiences in the future
  • copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ...and I do the highest damage in malabog runs by at least twice the person below me

TWICE?! Either you're running with 4x DCs or Exploiting the dragon at the end with you being the only CW dpsing it :P
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
    edited August 2013
    No exploiting! I generally run with One of each class or an additional cw in place of one of the melees.
    edited August 2013
    I generally run with One of each class

That's why he overdps :) He runs with useless classes instead of wizards.
    Btw, best setup for malabog is 4 CW's and 1 DC. For other dungeons this setup best as well.
    edited August 2013
    That's why he overdps :) He runs with useless classes instead of wizards.
    Btw, best setup for malabog is 4 CW's and 1 DC. For other dungeons this setup best as well.

#facepalm #whygodwhy
    edited August 2013
    I disagree. A good gf makes the run much much better, and I have stated before that I out dps other wizards. Hell my ideal setup would be 2 gfs, 2 cws and 1 dc.

Maybe im not playing with skilled cw but they always have better gear than I do.(by better gear higher enchants).
    edited August 2013
    I disagree. A good gf makes the run much much better, and I have stated before that I out dps other wizards. Hell my ideal setup would be 2 gfs, 2 cws and 1 dc.

You'll have to excuse Kerrovitarra, that is just his opinion.

Check out the build in my sig on test server. Also check out Copticone's build. If you like Renegade, try out Grimah's build. I think that Kerro has a build too... Good luck.
    edited August 2013
    You'll have to excuse Kerrovitarra, that is just his opinion.

Check out the build in my sig on test server. Also check out Copticone's build. If you like Renegade, try out Grimah's build. I think that Kerro has a build too... Good luck.

haha thank you, I have seen all of these builds in the past so thank you and everyone else for the information!

I do not think I will be touching renegade but perhaps I will test it with the respec on the test server as well
    edited August 2013
    haha thank you, I have seen all of these builds in the past so thank you and everyone else for the information!

I do not think I will be touching renegade but perhaps I will test it with the respec on the test server as well

Give it a try, it won't hurt u since it's preview server.
  • uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I did compared Chilling Presence to Eye of the Storm--and besides that the damage output/time-to-kill was the same--my overall Critical strikes increased from 8% to 10%, which I do consider inferior.

PS: I've 24 INT and 23 CHA
    Proud member of Dragon Clan - German Gaming Community
    edited August 2013
    uurbs wrote: »
    I did compared Chilling Presence to Eye of the Storm--and besides that the damage output/time-to-kill was the same--my overall Critical strikes increased from 8% to 10%, which I do consider inferior.

PS: I've 24 INT and 23 CHA

But, what is your base Critical Chance?
    edited August 2013
    What is your crit chance? I think mine is around 30% and eots is still an amazing damage boost.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    chilling presence is good still, if you can chill em, currently its reported that bosses are dropping chills though.

As for EotS, here are some numbers with 35% crit chance when i was doing testing earlier was just testing some spells, damage/hits/crit chance.

Storm Spell

27%

Conduit of Ice

67%

Conduit of Ice: Flank

74%

Magic Missile: Flank

69%

Magic Missile

74%

Steal Time: Flank

54%

Steal Time

100%

Storm Spell: Flank

78%

Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • thorizdenthorizden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    grimah wrote: »
    chilling presence is good still, if you can chill em, currently its reported that bosses are dropping chills though.

Definitely true for Malbolg and CN. I haven't run any other instances since the patch, but I suspect its all "boss" category mobs.