test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crashing to desktop a LOT...

baeyornbaeyorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
I am seeing a lot of crashes to desktop, usually about 2 a night.

It appears to be quite random, but based the last 5-6 crashes...

a. I was standing in a prayer circle. Altar, campfire, or prot enclave, doesn't matter.
b. I had just closed an in game window and opened another.
example - buying greater ID scrolls then changing to professions...
or open the profession window, then open the sub-window for leadership/mailsmithing/etc..
c. Fashion set from knight of feywild pak is on the toon, but not necessarily active.

Those seem to be the consistent pieces of circumstances that have been in the last 5-6 crashes..

Hope this helps!!
Post edited by baeyorn on

Comments

• laguna89laguna89 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I can't even get past the Cryptic loading screen...for about the past 2 hours about 8 crashes in a row...can't even get on the game :(
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Lagging like crazy, today. The game is almost unplayable. Yesterday, everything was running smooth. :(

• chelseacrafterchelseacrafter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Crashing to desktop still ... and so are most people... random crashes that were said to be fixed in the last patch. So far I don't see anything fixed that was said to be fixed in that patch. AH still won't sort... a whole host of other things.
  • xenotorchxenotorch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The several times I've crashed have been near the AH or in it, with a lot o people around (all probably crashing!). Not yet had a crash outside PE.
    As for lag - ffs, still happening? Drives me nuts - stop go animation that leaves your character running into the walls is so 1990s. Seriously!
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I crash utterly randomly, maybe once every 15 minutes or so. First I thought it was something related to dialog boxes, as the crashes frequently happened when they should have popped up, but after the Aug26 patch, they seem just random. I have given up on dungeons until this is solved - solo content and skirmishes are playable, though.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • bazzerliskbazzerlisk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've been getting this randomly since the alleged *cough* fix. As the above poster said ,it's pointless even trying to do a dungeon when you get CTDT in the queue.

Please fix this ,it's been going on far too long now.
  • mhedivhmhedivh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Game crashed randomly specially at Prot Enclave and dungeons, but now after this patch I cant play for even 2 min without a crash.. its really annoying! I hope this can be repaired soon because we cant play like this... I dont know whats seems to happen with the game client that crashes constantly... Im using windows 7 64-bit... if there is a sollution please help!
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Same as OP for me. Started as soon as the FoF patch loaded. Was almost funny when it did it while I was trying to submit a bug report about it. Almost.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • twooftwotwooftwo Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I haven't had any problems with crashing to desktop, until this last patch. Last night, and the night before, I've crashed a total of 5 times, all while standing in Protector's Enclave. I was in a different place each time. The first time, I had just closed the Auction House window. All the other times, however, I was inspecting another player, because they were wearing some new, interesting piece of armor, or weapon, that I hadn't seen before.
  • amoebaxpirateamoebaxpirate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Can't even log into the game, it crashes after I choose a character and try to enter the game :(
    Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History
  • nanamusnanamus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5
    edited September 2013
    Hard crashes on Mair of the Mad Dragon but only in DD's...it never crashed before in non epic difficult.
    Also it crashes while closing windows like Char info to porfession etc...but never in Protector Enclave
  • alagos77alagos77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited September 2013
    Looks to me like the only fix they did was letting the game start in windowed mode most of the time because now it doesn't keep the fullscreen setting after a restart. And in fullscreen mode it still crashes.
  • firesoul31firesoul31 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 34
    edited September 2013
    I'm crashing all the time also. It doesn't matter what I'm doing. Solo dungeon for a quest, just standing in PE, doing professions. Also the game will crash in non-player filled areas also, such as areas of maps where there are no other players.

It's not my rig as I played FFXIV for 6 straight hours the other night.
    Playing, paying & Coding - My take on Neverwinter, mods be darned
    Opened up comments, because I would love to hear what everyone says, even the naysayers. :)
    http://goo.gl/TiX1kO
  • firesoul31firesoul31 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 34
    edited September 2013
    Not a 100% yet, but I think and I'm asking if all you crashing to desktop have the Gateway open while playing the game. I had my gateway closed last night (completely logged out) and didn't crash once. Opened game up today, opened up gateway also, crashed to desktop.

Coincidence? or linked? Not sure yet, needs more testing.
    Opened up comments, because I would love to hear what everyone says, even the naysayers. :)
  • belladoriabelladoria Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    firesoul31 wrote: »
    Not a 100% yet, but I think and I'm asking if all you crashing to desktop have the Gateway open while playing the game. I had my gateway closed last night (completely logged out) and didn't crash once. Opened game up today, opened up gateway also, crashed to desktop.

Coincidence? or linked? Not sure yet, needs more testing.

I crash on a regular basis (many times a day) and do not use Gateway. I usually crash in Protector's Enclave, especially in crowded areas such as the bank, the AH, the professions vendor, or the mailbox. Coriol Street is especially bad, probably because everyone zones in there from everywhere. I have also been crashing in Sharandar a lot. It was especially annoying the time I crashed while in Gnarlroot with a friend, during the final boss battle. When I came back I was right in the middle of the fight, with the "Welcome to Neverwinter" screen blocking my view (and my actions) as I tried to get oriented and avoid dying.

As someone above me noted, often the crashes come when I am opening or looking at a window (mail, inventory, shop, quest dialog), but they also happen when I'm running or riding, or when I'm changing characters or zoning through a gate to another area. I often get graphics-related error messages with my crashes (though not every time), particularly "out of memory while creating 2D texture" and "out of video memory." It's so bad I have been wondering if there's something wrong with my video card, but since everything else seems to work OK I rather suspect it's the game.
  • belladoriabelladoria Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Well, the patch this morning seems to have done wonders for my situation. I played for almost twelve hours today and only crashed once - in Protector's Enclave, about midway through the day. I am seriously impressed! Also very relieved that it's not my video card going south. :)
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Thanks everyone! We're investigating.
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • otmotormouthotmotormouth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Having the same issue that ruined over a week of gaming 2 patches ago: Constant crashes to desktop and a direct 3D error. I get to play once a week. Now it's down to once a month because of this issue. Getting bored now.
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    No crashes since yesterday's patch.. fingers crossed...
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
    edited September 2013
    Well, I've had no luck since the patch. I've crashed at least 10 times today and all I was doing was crafting, mailing items to alts, and browsing my inventory tab. Nothing else. Just scrolling would crash me to desktop. Very, very frustrating. I'm not kidding about the 10 times either.

I'll log into to pray but I'll do my crafting and AH from browser from now on. Not worth the frustration to log in only to crash.
  • jubjubxjubjubx Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm crashing hard and fast to the desktop often. No error code, sometimes not even an error handler. Over 4 hours about 5 crashes, which becomes a problem in pvp.

Aside from fixing the crashes, I hope that pvp will also be re-enterable after a crash. I play a GWF, so in addition to crashes, I get the Determination bug and have to re-log to be effective in the game. Usually the quick re-log is enough to kick me from the pvp instance. Leaving my team down one. This is especially frustrating in organized pvp, as I leave 4 friends in that situation.

I enjoy the game, and I hope this can be fixed, I can provide all the feedback I can. Feel free to ask questions.