test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Read some old "what companion" threads and want up to date info

itpalgitpalg Member Posts: 66 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Temple
Many were saying back in March of this year that clerics had a lot of heal aggro especially in the early levels, so they were taking the cleric companion to heal each other while solo.

Others were liking the MAR, or the dog (but some didn't like it saying it was either idle or slow to attack), etc.

What are the recent experiences today?

Keep in mind I have only played a little over a week, and I am not 14 yrs old with no job. Cleric is 16. Even the first character I made is only high 20s, and only had into the 100k AD range due to trying out the lockboxes and getting idols, but no more donations that way to PWE.
itpaladin.png

Post edited by itpalg on

Comments

• suxip01111suxip01111 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Ioun Stone of Allure is the ultimate Cleric companion.

Other companions that heal/attack/defend are prone to poor decisions made by shoddy AI. Some can be useful though, the Dire Wolf has a decent interrupt that can come in handy, for example.
  • itpalgitpalg Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I guess I need to qualify that I am not spending $20 for a pet/companion.
    itpaladin.png

• scionertscionert Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    you don't have to... you can exchange AD for zen.
    although at 375AD per zen it will cost you 750k AD.

got mine in a couple of weeks of farming. (although previous events gave me a nice AD boost. and zen costs 340AD ea.)
    edited August 2013
    Whip out your calculator and tell me how long it would take for someone just starting the game to get 750,000 AD playing 3 hours a day...
    itpaladin.png

• debbieharrydebbieharry Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2013
    suxip01111 wrote: »
    The Ioun Stone of Allure is the ultimate Cleric companion.

Other companions that heal/attack/defend are prone to poor decisions made by shoddy AI. Some can be useful though, the Dire Wolf has a decent interrupt that can come in handy, for example.

i am a fresh 60 so correct me if im wrong but is cat not better choice as it is essentially the same thing but also gains recovery + crit per level?
  • areys77areys77 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Stone has better item slots you can equip and give more total stats (power, crit, and recovery).
    Cat is fine if you want it but in general stone is better.
    edited August 2013
    areys77 wrote: »
    Stone has better item slots you can equip and give more total stats (power, crit, and recovery).
    Cat is fine if you want it but in general stone is better.

thanks for clearing this up i wasnt sure and wouldnt have wanted to do the wrong thing. By slots being better do you just mean slot type in general or because AT THE MOMENT the best in-slot gear uses those slots?
    edited August 2013
    itpalg wrote: »
    Whip out your calculator and tell me how long it would take for someone just starting the game to get 750,000 AD playing 3 hours a day...

not my problem...

Tried to help.
    You asked for companion advice... some one suggested stone.
    You said you don't want to spend $... i said you can do it without spending.
    Now you are complaining it takes time...

you have so many problems... good luck.

i have my stone.. you don't. so I don't care anymore.
    K, thanks, bye.
    edited August 2013
    thanks for clearing this up i wasnt sure and wouldnt have wanted to do the wrong thing. By slots being better do you just mean slot type in general or because AT THE MOMENT the best in-slot gear uses those slots?

For the third slot.. cat uses belts. BiS belts often have HP as the third option, which a DC don't need much.
    where as a stone uses an Icon for the third slot. BiS icons gives more beneficial options for a DC than belts.
    edited August 2013
    scionert wrote: »
    For the third slot.. cat uses belts. BiS belts often have HP as the third option, which a DC don't need much.
    where as a stone uses an Icon for the third slot. BiS icons gives more beneficial options for a DC than belts.

Excellent cheers
    edited August 2013
    not my problem...

Tried to help.
    You asked for companion advice... some one suggested stone.
    You said you don't want to spend $... i said you can do it without spending.
    Now you are complaining it takes time...

you have so many problems... good luck.

i have my stone.. you don't. so I don't care anymore.
    K, thanks, bye.

What an <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

I asked a simple question and this is what I get.
    itpaladin.png

edited August 2013

ok, just one more punch before i leave.

You asked a simple question... someone gave you a simple answer.

THEN YOU MADE IT COMPLICATED.

good god, so what if it takes you a bit of time to get them?
    That's how life is, you invest something to gain something.

Ok, you don't want the stone? well the first reply also said the dire wolf is a useful pet.

what kind of answer were you looking for anyway?
    i was being friendly then you bring out that "whip out your calculator..." bull....

I said i got mine after a couple of weeks of playing... what makes you special that you can't also farm for a couple of weeks like I did?
    edited August 2013

just clarified this nd stone uses ring,waist,ring whereas cat is neck,waist,ring. other difference being is the cat has a defence slot wheres all of the stones slots are offense.

They do both give a % of stats tho ye? no need for eldritch?
  • nbitznbitz Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    what kind of answer were you looking for anyway?
    i was being friendly then you bring out that "whip out your calculator..." bull....

I'm not picking a side here but "whip out your calculator" is generally accepted to be a joke, in that respect I think your replies do qualify as being a little rude.
    edited August 2013
    just clarified this nd stone uses ring,waist,ring whereas cat is neck,waist,ring. other difference being is the cat has a defence slot wheres all of the stones slots are offense.

They do both give a % of stats tho ye? no need for eldritch?

you were looking at "Ioun Stone of Might" (green)
    we are talking about "Ioun Stone of Allure" (blue)
    which uses offense, offense, defense slot. and Ring, Neck, Icon Slots.

Both cat and stone gives 100% of their stats.
    edited August 2013
    nbitz wrote: »
    I'm not picking a side here but "whip out your calculator" is generally accepted to be a joke, in that respect I think your replies do qualify as being a little rude.

yes i was being rude, because i got offended by the "whip out your calculator" snide comment.
    But before that, i was trying to be helpful.
    edited August 2013
    you were looking at "Ioun Stone of Might" (green)
    we are talking about "Ioun Stone of Allure" (blue)
    which uses offense, offense, defense slot. and Ring, Neck, Icon Slots.

Both cat and stone gives 100% of their stats.

better to get the green then upgrade later or save for the blue one? thanks for the help btw
    edited August 2013
    better to get the green then upgrade later or save for the blue one? thanks for the help btw

Go straight to allure (blue)...
    Stone of might can only be bought with Tarmalune trade bars, which can only be obtained from opening lockboxes.

also the AH price is not that far from each other. Might sells for around 650k AD. while Allure can be bought by converting AD to zen, which costs about 750k AD.
    edited August 2013
    There is nothing at all snide about saying, whip out your calculator.

I have only played this game a little over a week and have just 7,300 AD on my 16 cleric.

I think you need to have some chamomile tea.
    itpaladin.png

edited August 2013
    There is nothing at all snide about saying, whip out your calculator.

I have only played this game a little over a week and have just 7,300 AD on my 16 cleric.

I think you need to have some chamomile tea.

Well, I'm not sure how others are doing but as a level 60. I make about 4.000 a day from the PVP daily. Everything additional requires me to trade the drops I got from the new area on the AH. Depending on the drops a bad day can be just 4k AD, a good day (very rare) 100k+.

So a worst case scenario for average AD of say... 10k a day, requires you to save for 75 days :D
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    nbitz wrote: »
    So a worst case scenario for average AD of say... 10k a day, requires you to save for 75 days :D

That is not really realistic. I'd even go so far as saying that if you are not hitting the 24K rough diamond limit every day, you are doing something wrong - and on top of that you can make quite a bit from the AH.
    Hoping for improvements...
    edited August 2013
    adinosii wrote: »
    That is not really realistic. I'd even go so far as saying that if you are not hitting the 24K rough diamond limit every day, you are doing something wrong - and on top of that you can make quite a bit from the AH.

It is realistic. Not everyone can play for multiple hours a day. I play one maybe two hours a day. As a working man, that's a lot of time.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, I'd love to hear how you hit the 24K cap every day.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd love to hear how you hit the 24K cap every day.

Right now I am sitting on 440.985 rough AD, so even if I did nothing to earn more, I would still hit the limit for the next 18 days. So, how did I make that pile?

First, leadership - I have leadership at 20, and typically run 7 AD-generating tasks non-stop. This requires only a few minutes of work, every 8 hours or so.

Second, the "daily" tasks from Lord Neverember - yesterday it was 8000 AD for foundry - that's on top of the usual 4000 from Rix. I don't do foundries every day - I don't have the time, but I do them when it's worthwhile - same with the other tasks.

Third, invocation - I don't have much time to play, but I do log in once before I go to work, once when I get home from work, and once or twice in the evening when I actually have the time to play for an hour or two (well, a bit more on weekends), Now, sometimes the invocation generates AD, and it adds up.

Fourth - well, that's really a "one-off", but I made around a 100,000 AD by buying cheap purples off the AH before the salvage vendor went in the game and then salvaging them afterwards.

Fifth, I made a pile of AD from the Tymora event (buying the gifts on the AH and opening them).

I don't do many dungeon runs - maybe one or two each weekend, but they can add a bit of AD, either from salvaging, or from selling stuff on the AH.

However, my main source of AD income is not in the form of rough AD. I have a crafting profession (mailsmith) at 20. I used to make a *lot* of AD by buying T2 gauntlets and re-selling the reinforced version at a VERY nice profit. When the gauntlets were made BoP that income went away, but I still do a steady business selling gemmed shirts/pants - maybe 75.000 profit per day on the average. I also have Alchemy at 20, but as I don't have any purple assets there, it is really not feasible for me to make a profit on the dyes.

Finally, if I am logged in during the profession window, I frequently do a short profession run - enough to get a few level 5 enchantments and runestones per day - it's not much, but it adds up.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Ok, so if (for example) one didn't have leadership at 20, didn't have mailsmithing at 20 and didn't have 7 slots for professions, oh, and didn't have the time/access to check into the gateway every 8 hours, one might expect to see lower returns. Ok, fair enough.

I think it *might* be a tad overzealous to call not having all those things ....."doing something wrong", though. :)

Anyway, thanks for breaking it down!
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Ditto: Scionert is a typical bonehead with "greater than thou" intellect and understanding of the Universe. Go figure.

Okay - BACK ON TOPIC regarding in-game Companions, here's my experience:

I have played with the Dog, Man at Arms and Cleric.

DOG: Like the Panther (Hero of the North package) - it is kind of slow to react, but like the Wolf (Guardian Package - according to reports) it does do knock-backs and interrupts. It's decent.

MAA: I used this during Closed beta, Alpha and Open Beta periods, it may have changed, but I don;t think so. With my DC it was a good choice because he would hold some of the Agro off me as I handle minions and lesser adds. It definitely helped with Boss fights (for a Devoted Cleric).

SIDE NOTE: If you ever DO decide to spent the ridiculous $$$ for a SINGLE CHARACTER ONLY Z-Store Companion rip-off (because it's Character bound and not account bound) - then the Galeb Dur is the one to go with if you're looking for an Agro-magnet. My DC survived some Boss fights at higher levels (45-55) only thanks to that stupid animated rock. Seriously.

Best freebie Companion for other-than-Cleric player characters is: the Cleric. She's slow, but definitely a help in keeping your health points topped-off during and shortly after fights all day long. You'll still have to suck down health pots, but a lot less of them.

These are the only three freebie Companions I have personal experience with. I've not heard or read great things about the Wizard and whatever else there is in the Companion Hall or whatever the place is called.

I hope this contribution to your thread is considerably more useful that the previous comments, especially the bone-headed ones like Scionert's.
    edited August 2013
    Ditto: Scionert is a typical bonehead with "greater than thou" intellect and understanding of the Universe. Go figure.

I hope this contribution to your thread is considerably more useful that the previous comments, especially the bone-headed ones like Scionert's.

Hypocrite. All you did was ignore the fact that the guy gave some ACTUAL ADVICE originally and want to be the man coming into save the day and look good. Someone who spends time continuing an argument then says "BACK ON TOPIC GUISE" doesnt have any credibility. Enjoy your ego trip but its a bad colour on you.

It was clear 90% of the issue came from the assumption that OP was 60. There isnt a problem here, only people taking things too srs.

On or off topic....

Ive been playing for 10 days and im already up to earning 16k+ AD per day without any sweat, i even disregard doing some things that could earn me it such as foundries (duuuuure) because i cba. I dont think its going to take much time (relatively) to save for my blue stone and i dont intend to waste AD on a sup-par companion in the meantime (and im DEFINATELY not wasting real money on it), gonna just save for the stone. Will be better in the long run because i wont have wasted money on enchants and stuff for the companion and wont have to have a rune slot taken up by a ****ty eldritch when i do have a pet. Go figure. The guy gave some good advice, difference is im looking past his ill manner and actually doing something with the REAL info he gave.

Ive heard the Rock-dude actually holds aggro better than most GFs.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hypocrite.

I most certainly am. As is every single other human on the planet.
    Unlike you and most others, I admit it openly.

By the way: I couldn't care any less what "color" I am to you. You don't know me from Adam and vice-versa. At least my my comment contributed to the OP intended thread, unlike 90% of the other comments here, especially yours and now this one.

'nuff said.
    edited August 2013
    Sprite is correct.

Most of these posts I read with glazed eyes as I have no idea what you are saying.
    itpaladin.png

• hamjihamji Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Once upon a time I needed the Cleric companion to help with the debuff to self heals but not anymore.

These days I never use the Cleric companion.

First off why should you use a conventional companion over an augment companion and vice-versa. Simply put a conventional Companion will grant more over-all bonus than an augment companion due to Companions getting astonishing results from stats, their own health pools and their abilities. An Augment companion will buff you but at the cost of overything else.

What this means is when in a group it is usually better to use an augment companion. The buffs to you are significant enough to notice but it is more because the conventional companions can be a bit of a nuissance and get in the way while often being too weak to be of any real use.

I say most of the time though because conventional companions when levelled up and equiped with good gear and runestones can hold their own quite well.

So which is best? All of them for what they are intended. The Defender companions can be very tough, if you find yourself in a Tier 2 dungeon with no tank then a Defender Companion will be sufficient for all but the tough boss fights and even then maybe the rock can handle some of the bosses(I don't know, too poor). Defender companions are great for calibrating heals, basically keep your defender up and fighting and you know your heals are sufficient.

I always have a Defender companion ready to go should they be needed.

My Cleric is idle now since she literally never get's a run anymore. For my third companion slot I have tried many of the options, Strikers are okay but thus far I have not seen any of mine do sufficient dps to be worth anything. Controller companions at least the ones I have tried tend to aggro things they shouldn't by aoe taunting them with control powers which more often than not results in their death so they are kind of worthless too without an actual tank to keep them safe.

As a general rule I look at it like this..Keep at least one Defender and one Augment companion. Use the Defender whenever you need to which can be quite often. If everytbody in the party has a strong Defender Companion then in most instances you can fight well enough to make up for losing your tank mid-way through a dungeon.

Keep an augment companion around of course if you can afford it as this will be the one that gets used most.

While I have yet to see worthwhile dps from a striker I have not given up on them yet, maybe at rank 30 with smoking hot gear they can do okay.

As for the Cleric companions well with me in the party who needs them, in fact I would prefer people not bring them when I'm there since I don't want companions getting credit for my phat heals. To put things in perspective, my heals will take you from the brink of death to full health almost instantly and there is no way a Cleric companion can even get close to that.