test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do you still use sun burst now?

scionertscionert Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Temple
I've only run a couple of dungeon post-patch so i haven't tried running without it yet.

But from my experience, the AP gain of the "Fixed" sunburst is less than half of what it was before.
(i could fill up my AP with 2 sunburst during boss fights pre-patch, but now it takes at least 5)

Now it seems more like a nuisance.
The amount of heal, AP gain and damage is pitiful.
It generates unnecessary Threat (because it's both damage and healing in an area)

So should i just drop sunburst now? what would be a better loadout?
Post edited by scionert on

Comments

• Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am very close to dropping it. Useless except for knockback now. It gives less Divinity and AP than Divine Glow.

DG/FF/AShield is a loadout I am experimenting with, away from my default SB/DG/AShield.

The dilemma when solo healing is that I have both MH set and Invigorated Healing. This encourages as much Encounter spam as possible. With an FF loadout you have to be more careful when to use FF because you may need the burst healing in Divinity mode.

If I did not have MH, even with Invigorated Healing, I would almost certainly have replaced Sunburst permanently.

That said, I have only run one (very) long CN since the new patch and it was a 2x DC run where for much of the run I was the dps/support DC.
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Sunburst still procs a lot of goodies, so I plan to keep it in. Foresight on everyone, Repurpose Soul from any crits, option to use as knockback if necessary....
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    saved81saved81 Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2013
    vorphied wrote: »
    Sunburst still procs a lot of goodies, so I plan to keep it in. Foresight on everyone, Repurpose Soul from any crits, option to use as knockback if necessary....

+1

Even if it doesn't generate so many AP it still procs so much stuff I can't really drop it:
    - Foresight
    - Divine Advantage
    - Repurpose Soul
    - Enduring Relief
    - Linked Spirit

(these are the ones in my build)

You should add Cleanse, Invigorated Healing and many other (can't even remind em all).
  • Options
    scionertscionert Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    saved81 wrote: »
    +1

Even if it doesn't generate so many AP it still procs so much stuff I can't really drop it:
    - Foresight
    - Divine Advantage
    - Repurpose Soul
    - Enduring Relief
    - Linked Spirit

You should add Cleanse, Invigorated Healing and many other (can't even remind em all).

afaik, Astral Seal procs Cleanse, Foresight, Divine advantage and enduring relief, right?
    so if you have Astral Seal on the boss and on atleast 1 mob then those feats are almost always active, even without SB.
    Repurpose Soul proc on SB crit is very miniscule is it not? since SB hits like cotton.
    Linked spirit: Is the SB+Divine trick still not fixed?

the knockback i good though.
  • Options
    tancred300tancred300 Member Posts: 58
    edited August 2013
    i dont use it anymore, even though its tough, so used to it
  • Options
    oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    saved81 wrote: »
    +1

- Foresight
    - Divine Advantage
    - Repurpose Soul
    - Enduring Relief
    - Linked Spirit

There are many other encounters that proc all that stuff (if you spec on all of it, that is) and are like tenfold better than sunburst. If you ever used sunburst for any other thing that was not generating AP/DP your buil was pretty much doomed since we all knew that a nerf on SB was coming and we all know that there are more to come.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • Options
    insomniacgluttoninsomniacglutton Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm using DG/FF/AS for trash, HW/FF/AS for last boss (in CN anyway) right now but I still rather like SB for everything it procs so I might slot it back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The thing about Sunburst isn't so much that its raw numbers are amazing (obviously they aren't), but it can set off a chain reaction of procs that make it far more useful than it would appear.

As an example for healing potential, the Repurpose Soul heals are not huge individually, but if I'm not mistaken it can proc off of any damage or heal crits that occur in a single cast. Factor in the number of enemy and allied targets affected and Vorpal enchant for bigger crit damage and heals, and you have some nice, if somewhat random numbers on a short cooldown. Also doesn't require spending Divinity to make useful.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's still a good skill, a large AOE, ok damage, a short CD and very easy to use.
  • Options
    saved81saved81 Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2013
    oroness wrote: »
    There are many other encounters that proc all that stuff (if you spec on all of it, that is) and are like tenfold better than sunburst. If you ever used sunburst for any other thing that was not generating AP/DP your buil was pretty much doomed since we all knew that a nerf on SB was coming and we all know that there are more to come.

The only other encounters that will proc all those things are healing word and bastion of health since only "natural" healing can proc those things.

Astral seal can proc almost any of those feats but can't be controlled as well as SB.

SB still procs LS like a charm with the tab triggering (wich is what would do Astral seal otherwise it wouldn't be possible to trigger any of those things without that trick also with astral seal).

I suppose the DC had enought nerfs that some more nerfs would just make the game unplayable.
  • Options
    adaace2adaace2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yep. Still a great heal and damage dealer.
  • Options
    scozzersscozzers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    vorphied wrote: »
    The thing about Sunburst isn't so much that its raw numbers are amazing (obviously they aren't), but it can set off a chain reaction of procs that make it far more useful than it would appear.

As an example for healing potential, the Repurpose Soul heals are not huge individually, but if I'm not mistaken it can proc off of any damage or heal crits that occur in a single cast. Factor in the number of enemy and allied targets affected and Vorpal enchant for bigger crit damage and heals, and you have some nice, if somewhat random numbers on a short cooldown. Also doesn't require spending Divinity to make useful.

Good point.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For soloing, I still use it for the damage. In dungeons if I can knockback I'll use it. Otherwise 1 healing word grants more AP than sunburst... I decided to spend a point in Bastion of Health too but I figured that the buildup was not worth it. I really hope they buff if again. I don't expect them to make it as good as it used to be, but it does need to be somewhat effective to building AP, right now it just fails to deliver. In fact I think a lot of skills could do with a touch more.
  • Options
    fathomfulfathomful Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I am still using SB as many people said, it procs tons of stuff, sets off chain synergies in feats. Could be done with other encounters as well but its a fire and forget so easy to toss off in rotation.

Post patch things have been running very very smoothly. AS/BoH/SB with warding shield points (2/14/15 feats), is just way too effective.

I am really digging the patch for many reasons. Not having full AP every second of a fight caused me to move away from the quest to have dailies up 100%. Less emphasis on HG (lack of action points its situational almost as much as DA) means that i could lose moontouched which allowed me to pick up warding.

Between foresight, restoration mastery, deepstone blessing, warding shield, AS it is a constant huge damage reduction at all times. Just makes healing sooo easy. Sunburst, divine bastion and invigorated healing is way more than sufficient to keep everyone completely topped off at all times.

I know lots of builds got butchered with changes, but this one is working like a champ.
  • Options
    lordkelthornlordkelthorn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Holy Glow is way better imho.... and the dmg bonus on boss is 100 times better then spirit link(which is also proc with bug exploit).

Sunburst was initially painfull for me to use, i only used it because of huge AP gain...now i only use it for the bump in jcj/spider queen...its does terrible damage and heal and you need to have all your mater gathered around you to buff them....

With ok gear, your team should be safe with just divine AS and some HW here and there (HW proc all the goodies from sunburst and you can throw divine HW when you need to help a mate; i usually target my CW so they can keep mobile) just need to learn to cast HW wisely instead of just throwing it for no reason; check who is aggro or in the heat...

ps: i dont use linked spirit, tested it and considering my team mate are already soft capped its just garbage bonus of stat considering the other awesome talent you can get.....plus i dont want to really on bug exploiting to keep it up.
  • Options
    theosymphanytheosymphany Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I still like sunburst for what it does. It does good damage and healing, procs lots of feats and build decent DP/AP. Have done well over 50 fast runs of the Master of the hunt skirmish as solo cleric with High Prophet set with SB/DL/DG and it is enough to keep everyone alive with the occasional moontouched Hallowed Ground. The actions per minute (APM) is a bit crazy playing this way but you are always doing something useful with each ability. Sunburst to build AP/divinity/proc LS/ heal. Use divinity for DL and DG to buff/debuff, put stacks on mobs and gain AP. All your crits proc repurpose soul heals and as you're usually critting multiple targets it adds up. Alternate HG and Hammer daily as required.

Also done new CN still solo DC with AS/SB/DG all the way up to Dracolich without switching to MH set. The way I play usually I facetank a ton of adds (easier to target myself and TRs with DG, help teammates get combat advantage, and better that I tank than them squishy CWs) which allows SB to hit allies and enemies (and proc LS) for better AP gain. Hitting more allies and adds at once improve your AP generation, so your daily can be up more often when you need it (eg surrounded by mobs).
    Kaelac Symphony LaggyGamerz Community
    Guild and guide info

Module 4 Comprehensive DC guide |Module 4 MoF CW Handbook |New! Scourge Warlock Guide| NW Numbers and Mechanics guide |Crit, Power and DPS guide | Dungeon Delving guide and more
  • Options
    whistlingdixiewhistlingdixie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    scionert wrote: »
    Repurpose Soul proc on SB crit is very miniscule is it not? since SB hits like cotton.

Consider you Sunburst and hit a total of 10 people: yourself, 4 teammates, 5 enemies. Each crit, either healing or damage, will proc Repurpose Soul. If you get lucky and crit on 5 targets, then you just did an extra 75% extra healing of the critical amounts, which are at least already 50% more. So Repurpose Soul gives you 112.5% of the healing you'd otherwise get, more with Vorpal. It's actually a really nice burst heal if you have good crit -- probably better than BoH since you hit more targets. It's also on a lower cooldown, gives you an optional knockback, and deals damage. Being able to tab and proc Linked Spirit is just icing on the cake.

As for the knocback, you actually get a tiny bit of knockback without tabbing. So if you can lure something to the very corner of ledge, a normal Sunburst can actually push it over without annoying your teammates. Divine Searing Light has a similar amount of push and can be used the same way. (Divine Searing Light is also an amazing healing ability with Repurpose Soul.)
  • Options
    spani4rdspani4rd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I haven't really run many dungeons post patch, or much content that would make any diference for what my healing set up looked like.
    I still feel like DG/AS/SB is the best combo for clearing trash and pushing through the run. Boss set ups just depends primarily on the boss and your party too.
    SB still generates good DP and better AP than just about any other spell and as some people have stated it's great for proccing a lot of stuff. Sure there are other spells that proc the same stuff, but not as efficiently and not all the same stuff. The closest are HW/Astral Seal/BoH. The first two are unfortunately single target only, at least Astral Seal can proc onto everybody hitting the affected target, but only really great for bosses etc. BoH has a nice area and can proc everybody at once (needed for LS) but I still find it to be a horrible spell, if your build runs it though then using SB is overkill probably.
    I was still using my FF/AS/SB setup for pvp, SB is good for the knockback in pvp and FF sure is nice now that the snare ability levels up also. That said I'm currently using HW/AS/DG for PVP and it's insane but I doubt I'll find it very useable after they fix the MH/AS synergy
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Still using it and still love it. Fantastic panic button skill and useful in all kinds of circumstances.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    nordveignordveig Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I use it all the time, don't know what the fuss was all about.