test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bastion of Health really that bad

rnewton8rnewton8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2013 in The Temple
Can someone explain to me why bastion of health is soo bad that ppl refuse to use it?

I use AS and SB no matter what, but im stil trying to figure out whats best for the third slot... Healing word, FF, or Bastion.

Also, now that the tab exploit for link spirit is gone with sunburst, are poeple going to start using Bastion now to do a link spirit build?
Post edited by rnewton8 on

Comments

• Options
    flamexsoldierflamexsoldier Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2013
    Well originally it had such a long cool down that it was just ridiculous. The build up can be annoying too because people run out of the way, so you always need to use divinity mode, so you're not gaining much there since divine forge master's does damage and heals. That damage can be pretty helpful to your party at times.
  • Options
    holsacholsac Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The answer is -
    Yes, it's that bad and No, it's pretty good.

By itself, Bastion is pretty bad...but you combine it with Linked Spirit and the feat that reduces it's healing but adds DR it becomes pretty good. This is the way I use it.

Edit: The DR can be very useful for those seconds AS is down.
  • Options
    fathomfulfathomful Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I enjoy bastion quite a bit actually. It is my go to 3rd slot.

I have it slotted for warding, so in my AS downtime i pop it for a chunk heal, 10% damage reduct (feated) + foresight 11% bonus + (hopefully crit bonus 5%).

It handles that 3 second time period really well until AS is back up.
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    rnewton8 wrote: »
    Also, now that the tab exploit for link spirit is gone with sunburst, are poeple going to start using Bastion now to do a link spirit build?

You say that but,

1. Have you actually tested it? Linked Spirit change has even been removed from the patch notes. Calling something an "exploit" does not make it one or a label relevant to anything.

2. Even if Bastion of Health was the only way to proc an aoe version of Linked Spirit, the feat is simply not that good that players would change their entire playstyle just to pick it up. It is a minor bonus to geared groups that does not outweigh BoH's disadvantages.

3. Bastion is ok for some builds now after the stealth buff to it a few weeks ago, as hinted at by holsac, but it still retains some of its relative disadvantages. By itself, it is a far lower burst healing than Forgemaster's Flame's as well as not do any damage (resulting in lower Divinity gain option when you need it which in turn can impact which class feature choices you use). BoH is also not as directed as Healing Word which can be useful for kiting sometimes or certain fights.

BoH is certainly good enough to just try it these days and see if it works with your build. In general, that's the only way you can learn about your own playstyle. You cannot rely on others, especially when you can see no obvious flaws.

I have seen several successful DC spell combos on my alts. No single one is perfect for all things.

That said, with the HUGE AP nerfs, plus nerfs to CW control, plus inevitable incoming fixes to silly things like MH healing stacking with itself introduced by the latest patch, many previous playstyles will no longer be viable.
  • Options
    alagos77alagos77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited August 2013
    Who said Bastion is bad? If I have to choose between Bastion and FF, I'd almost always pick Bastion as my 3rd spell and emergency heal. I don't like FF because it needs a monster to cast on. In some situations like the Spider boss that is perfectly fine, usually it feels too restricting for me though. I like to heal whenever wherever it's needed.. and Bastion lets me do that in a very satisfying matter.
    I've not played post patch yet but might decide to run Bastion feated again now that Hallowed Ground probably won't be up all the time anymore. Before patch that wasn't really necessary and I went for feated Healer's Lore + Hallowed Ground instead.
  • Options
    rnewton8rnewton8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Havent tested it yet... I call the tab sunburst an exploit because to me, if you are proccing link spirit without using divinity like the description says, it is an exploit of a broken mechanic.

And there are posts all over the cleric temple forum saying bastion is not that good compared to FF or HW, so i was just curious as to the reasoning.

And I agree, its really about finding what works best for your build/playstyle in a given situation.

Cant wait to get out of work so i can use my free respec and start playing
  • Options
    insomniacgluttoninsomniacglutton Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sb-tab still procs linked spirit.

I don't like BoH because the long cast makes it difficult to use effectively without divinity and drains divinity when used in divine mode. Moreover, it's subpar without speccing into warding shield which I can't do without sacrificing feats in the faithful tree that I find more useful.

FF is far easier on divinity management and burst heals 3k/sec. While it might end up on a mob that gets pushed far away or on a mob that's about to die, if your party members stay close to it for over a second, it's better than BoH so most of the time, FF AOE heal is effective.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    banaman3banaman3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes... confirmed --> sb-tab still procs linked spirit but AP generation is much slower now

I actually prefer to use Divine Glow as my 3rd encounter rather than slotting in another healing one. This means I can use Healer's Lore instead of Divine Fortune passive. Besides the debuff (& damage buff if cast from divine mode) it also heaps with AP generation especially when u hit a whole bunch of mobs gathered at the CW's singularity.
  • Options
    spani4rdspani4rd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    rnewton8 wrote: »
    Havent tested it yet... I call the tab sunburst an exploit because to me, if you are proccing link spirit without using divinity like the description says, it is an exploit of a broken mechanic.

Well the description says that it procs from when people are healed from divine mode, not that you have to cast a encounter in divine moe. Get a grip. If anything blame the poorly written tool tips.

In regards to BoH. Well it used to be unusuable because of the CD. At least now you can fit it into a rotation. I still don't like it much though, it doesn't heall that much, even in divinity mode and it heals less when feated, although it does give the dmg reduction which is nice. It's almost usless in non divinity mode though so it's a big time drain and it requires your group to be constantly grouped up. that's going to be harder now with the AP gain changes. I prefer DG for trash clearing and FF/HW for the bosses
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    plus inevitable incoming fixes to silly things like MH healing stacking with itself introduced by the latest patch.

Sorry what is this?

and yes SB is still proccing LS but AS doesn't seem to
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Apparently since astral shield now counts as an actual encounter, miracle healer's effect inexplicably procs for every heal tick of AS. So you throw out broken amounts of healing.
  • Options
    derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    BoH is a good skill .
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
  • Options
    saved81saved81 Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2013
    BoH is a good skill .
    If you don't mind to generate any DP out of it and you like his f***ing long cooldown or his casting motion that will eventually be interrupted f***ing up all your intentions to use it as a "lifesaving" skill.
  • Options
    oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    BoH is a good skill .

Prophecy of Doom is also a good skill.
    But... is it convenient to use? efficient? better than most of the other skills?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • Options
    hadenxhadenx Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    fathomfulfathomful Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I use it extensively.

HF+Foresight - class
    SB/BoH/AS - encounters
    SF/AS - at wills
    DA/HG - daily

2/14/15 - feat spread

So far post patch i have tried Spell, Pirate, FH, Karru and had no troubles at all even with an undergeared group.

Nothing really different, just keep your AS in a good spot and for the four seconds its down use Divine + BoH to give 10% DR + Foresight 11% + feat 5%. The DR and the chunk heal fills it nicely.

Save your dailies for big problems instead of DPS boost. I primarily use DA unless we are just ripping through then i will use HG.

Yea its a healbot spec, but i like it. Divine is not a problem, AP gen is not a problem, all the tools needed to heal and buff DR%.

I really like the gameplay post-patch. AP gain is just good enough to reward good decision making and discipline bad decision making.
  • Options
    lordkelthornlordkelthorn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    banaman3 wrote: »
    Yes... confirmed --> sb-tab still procs linked spirit but AP generation is much slower now

I actually prefer to use Divine Glow as my 3rd encounter rather than slotting in another healing one. This means I can use Healer's Lore instead of Divine Fortune passive. Besides the debuff (& damage buff if cast from divine mode) it also heaps with AP generation especially when u hit a whole bunch of mobs gathered at the CW's singularity.
    ah man... divine glow is my trademark dont say it lol ......

Bastion sux for the OBVIOUS reason your mate need to have lose big chunk of life for it to be usefull.... and when your mate have lost enough life for you to maybe START casting it they should have drink a pot before you even END casting it.

Even if are casting it divine mode, it take you the time+lag to notice a mate took a big hit and cast it.... any semi decent player will either avoid RED circles or take a pot when they purposely stand in the heat.

what i use is AS/DG/HW or AS/SB/HW

regardless of SB cooldown i only cast it when AS is down to refresh the premonition bonus. this and HW is way enough.

and for people talking about spider queen; you actually prefer AS/DG/SB to burst her asap and help with the bumps when she is drinking life from her toons. IF CW is/are good then you can replace SB with FF because you will have stuff to target and burst heal way better then SB does.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    fathomful wrote: »
    just keep your AS in a good spot and for the four seconds its down use Divine + BoH to give 10% DR + Foresight 11% + feat 5%. The DR and the chunk heal fills it nicely.

Unless I'm missing something here I think you have an extra 5% mitigation. Foresight is 6% with an additional 5% when feated. I think you just jumped a step there and listed them seperately even though you alread have the sum value listed as foresight. If I'm wrong just let me know where your other 5% is coming from
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    spani4rd wrote: »
    Unless I'm missing something here I think you have an extra 5% mitigation. Foresight is 6% with an additional 5% when feated. I think you just jumped a step there and listed them seperately even though you alread have the sum value listed as foresight. If I'm wrong just let me know where your other 5% is coming from

You are wrong on reason, but not on numbers!

This post i made was before i was enlightened by the restoration mastery post. I was thinking it was 5% DR as opposed to the 5% defense boost only (.5% - 2% DR only depending on how much defense target has).

No longer accurate, only DR would be what is given from Divine Advantage where my 5 points from RM is going to go now.

Still having great results though with my build. I like the flexibility on some fights with having basically almost 2 AS. (BoH w/warding + AS). There have been some fights where i kept kiting tank alive with nothing but bastions and a divine armor here and there while keeping everyone boss healed with AS. (or vice versa)

I know its not for everyone, but **** if it dont work fantastic for how i play. I would urge anyone to try it.
  • Options
    alagos77alagos77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited August 2013
    Bastion sux for the OBVIOUS reason your mate need to have lose big chunk of life for it to be usefull.... and when your mate have lost enough life for you to maybe START casting it they should have drink a pot before you even END casting it.

You can always cast it fast in divine mode. Even the normal version is pretty useful if you can anticipate where your party will be in a moment (the problem are wizards dodging around). For example after running through a bunch of adds to the next push spot it's pretty obvious where your group is supposed to be next - no problem landing a normal bastion there. On top of that the slow cast time makes it quite clear to your group where they are supposed to stand.. so your follow up Astral Shield will cover them too.

Also you can anticipate some of the damage (big spiders shredding HP or a new add wave at boss) and still time your normal cast bastion to make it in time. I usually prefer to keep it off cooldown and cast it in divine mode, but sometimes there is just no need.

Overall the skill is situational.. but when I need a reliable good heal, Bastion is my choice.