test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

300K to upgrade companion?

ltdansotltdansot Member Posts: 56
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've played since open beta and have 4 level 60 toons and between all of them I have maybe 120K and four companions to upgrade. This will be impossible for me. Why would you do this?
Post edited by ltdansot on

Comments

• bel1eveeebel1eveee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    so you can spend money on zen?
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2013
    It's a lot more than 300k. It's 750k to go from Blue to Purple.

Nonetheless I find the price to not actually be that devastating. Especially since the only companions worth using are the passive ones, which get no special bonuses for going past Blue.
  • koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    So you will buy zen.
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Plus another 600K AD to play the new area per character LOL
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    1.6 million white to purple, and it's not even close to good value, buy an epic off the Zen Store or Ah & be done!
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2013
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    Plus another 600K AD to play the new area per character LOL

Close, but it's actually a 80k, divided between 3 one time fees of 10k and 1 one time fee of 50k.

Considering each of the new areas gives new daily quests, you will literally earn the 10k per each of the 3 areas just doing the missions there. More, because you'll need to do them more than once.
  • apokalupsis2012apokalupsis2012 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    Close, but it's actually a 80k, divided between 3 one time fees of 10k and 1 one time fee of 50k.

Considering each of the new areas gives new daily quests, you will literally earn the 10k per each of the 3 areas just doing the missions there. More, because you'll need to do them more than once.
    ...wait? What? You have to PAY to access the new content??
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Yes sir. Yes indeed
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • shafikmacenoshafikmaceno Member Posts: 55
    edited August 2013

Correcting: Paying for a whole new content bugueed ...
    edited August 2013

The first 2 areas are free, and come with about 8 new daily quests that award several thousand diamonds. You have to earn so much faction by repeating these quests. You'll probably earn about 20-30k diamonds before you have enough faction to progress to the next area, which requires the purchase of a key for 10k diamonds.

The fee is nominal, a very low cost AD sink. However, there will be whiners. There always are.
  • syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Can you all please elaborate on what you mean? I'm currently at work but chatting with a friend who is running around Sharandar right now without having spent a single AD.
    contents to be decided
    edited August 2013
    Nvm. Got distracted and your response came up after I posted. Sorry!
    contents to be decided
    edited August 2013
    Gah, can't merge or delete other posts.

In some ways you can hardly blame people for whining about AD expenditure in game, when the information isn't readily available unless you played through on preview shard, I'm assuming (and at least I think it isn't, given this is the first time I'm hearing about it. Very easily could be wrong about this.) When most things that cost AD seem to be to a casual player, astronomically high, information when presented in that manner will trigger the typical negative reaction based on past experiences. The most recent clearly being the cost of companion upgrades. But hey, I simply won't upgrade my companions.

Thankfully, it seems that this AD expenditure isn't going to break a bank and that Cryptic has actually put something in place to make sure it doesn't. Granted, I would love to spend all that AD on something else. =P.

I still don't see this as a P2W model, however. Pay for convenience, yup. P2W? Nope, because I can obtain anything I need in game in order to complete content without having to spend a single Zen (which I've yet to do and have been around a month or so before GG went live, maybe longer.)
    contents to be decided
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ltdansot wrote: »
    I've played since open beta and have 4 level 60 toons and between all of them I have maybe 120K and four companions to upgrade.

How did you manage that? Invoking on a lv60 character gets you 2k AD a day. You can sell the Celestial Coin 7-day enchant box on the auction for 20k+ (four characters, that's 80k every week). Leadership crafting tasks can get you at least 2-6k a day, even without obsessing over it (refreshing the tasks twice a day.... even at once a day, it's still a decent amount.)
  • koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    How did you manage that? Invoking on a lv60 character gets you 2k AD a day. You can sell the Celestial Coin 7-day enchant box on the auction for 20k+ (four characters, that's 80k every week). Leadership crafting tasks can get you at least 2-6k a day, even without obsessing over it (refreshing the tasks twice a day.... even at once a day, it's still a decent amount.)
    Well, since it only takes 4-5 days to reach 60...
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    The first 2 areas are free, and come with about 8 new daily quests that award several thousand diamonds. You have to earn so much faction by repeating these quests. You'll probably earn about 20-30k diamonds before you have enough faction to progress to the next area, which requires the purchase of a key for 10k diamonds.

The fee is nominal, a very low cost AD sink. However, there will be whiners. There always are.
    So I had spent a lot of money to buy the feywild patch and now I will have to spend other to play it? Good to know
  • drdoodlemandrdoodleman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So I had spent a lot of money to buy the feywild patch and now I will have to spend other to play it? Good to know

Yeah thats how I am looking at it too, this is beyond silly.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?841-The-Lower-Depths
    If you want a real look at the state of the game/customer service, check out the forum where they move all the "deleted"/banned "spam"
  • truwentruwen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As I was saying for last 2 weeks its PAY to win :)) but Im a "cry baby" lol

So if grinding in game currency, that can OPTIONALLY be purchased with real money is pay to win. Then Grinding gold in any other game is pay to win? Got it, I understand now. I was a fool to think every game out there was not pay to win. /shug I guess I was wrong.
  • truwentruwen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

You didn't buy the patch, everyone can play feywild. From the posts above it costs in game currency...astral diamonds... in order to progress deeper into the expansion. You can chose to purchase zen and sell that zen for Ad if you wish, but ultimately it's a choice. It is no different than grinding gold to buy a key to access a dungeon.
  • smidgysmidgy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013

You didn't spend a penny to get the Feywild patch - everyone got it for free. What you might have bought is the Feywild pack, all parts of which can be used perfectly well on the normal, non-Feywild content. If you didn't realise this, I suggest next time, you make sure you know what you're buying before you buy it.
  • apokalupsis2012apokalupsis2012 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    lol yes...you are LIMITED in how much of the new content you are allowed to play per day.

"Brilliant"...just like the Gaunt debacle.

Maybe Phil Fish was on to something when he claimed that most modern Asian games are "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>."
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    truwen wrote: »
    So if grinding in game currency, that can OPTIONALLY be purchased with real money is pay to win. Then Grinding gold in any other game is pay to win? Got it, I understand now. I was a fool to think every game out there was not pay to win. /shug I guess I was wrong.

In my opinion I would rather pay one fee for the game box and a sub fee a month and have ALL the content vs an f2p model any day. Then again I did spend $289 when I first started playing this game about 2 months ago. Since then I haven't done anything except occasionally post of the Neverwinter forums.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    smidgy wrote: »
    You didn't spend a penny to get the Feywild patch - everyone got it for free. What you might have bought is the Feywild pack, all parts of which can be used perfectly well on the normal, non-Feywild content. If you didn't realise this, I suggest next time, you make sure you know what you're buying before you buy it.

School is incession, let the learning begin.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • ltdansotltdansot Member Posts: 56
    edited August 2013
    chrono0812 wrote: »
    In my opinion I would rather pay one fee for the game box and a sub fee a month and have ALL the content vs an f2p model any day.

I agree, I think this f2p stuff is for the birds and I've about had it
    edited August 2013
    You didn't spend a penny to get the Feywild patch - everyone got it for free.
    No? My bank disagree with you:p
    edited August 2013

and I just laughed. It's like, No sir you did not spend a dime for this game, but my bank account on the other hand would beg to differ.
    Death_knight.jpg

~Sholom Aleichem
  • smidgysmidgy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013

http://nw.perfectworld.com/feywildpack/feywildknight

This is what you bought, yes? Notice what isn't listed? 'Access to the Fury of the Feywild patch'. You know how I know that, aside from being able to read? I haven't bothered with this pack, but I am currently downloading the patch you seem to think you paid for.
    edited August 2013
    http://nw.perfectworld.com/feywildpack/feywildknight

This is what you bought, yes? Notice what isn't listed? 'Access to the Fury of the Feywild patch'. You know how I know that, aside from being able to read? I haven't bothered with this pack, but I am currently downloading the patch you seem to think you paid for.
    Do you know why you are able to play the patch ? Because morons like me bought the pack and covered the cost to produce it. Go on and not worry I am the one that buy this round
  • axan22#6446 axan22 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I agree the Companion upgrades are too high I know they have to make money, (make the companions account wide and people might see this as an ok price to pay but not per companion per character) there have been numerous complaint threads right from preview about this.
  • zalcszalcs Banned Users Posts: 345 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Only problem is that you can't grind in this game. at all. probably 90% of the ad in this game is bought, its ridiculous