test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Now that module 1 is out top 10 changes community thinks foundry needs next?

boomba66boomba66 Member Posts: 221 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2013 in The Foundry
Just my top ten as I wait for the patch to get done to play with drop and drag!

1. Boss Encounters: You already have a good 14-15 solo boss encounters in the game as part of leveling process could these allowed to be let into foundry? I know you have stated you are working on this, just thought that might be easier in the short term.
2. Foundry Reward System: I know that most of the time a good story is its own reward. However, most players in MMO's are progression driven. If there was some type of token system that you use in all other aspects of the game I would imagine foundry plays would skyrocket.
3. Beast Skins and encounters: I know many people have complained that all enemies in the foundry tend to be humanoids. Add in a few animals like Bears, Tigers, Wolves(rather then attached to current encounters give them their own) some more exotic things like Ropers and Ogyauts, would be great too....nice long tentacles.
4. Timer.
5. Npc's patrol speed working.
6. Cut Scenes.
7. Branching story arc decisions.(This one would make players choices really change the outcomes.
8. Decisions in adventurers carry through the maps and or the campaign.
9. Party detection(You already auto scale for level, could this also be added to auto-scale for party size?) Most cleaver authors have sliding scale for difficulty so this would be lower on list.
10. Random chance of rare companions.(Maybe Just re-skinned, but a 1% chance per 15 minutes average in a foundry to land a new companion skin or type) this makes end chest count a little more without breaking the game with overpowered items.

Just some thoughts.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by boomba66 on

Comments

• Options
    runis12runis12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Top 5 things I harp on about: :)
    1)Music for non-threatening/non-fighting situations (music for town, celebration, serious/silly/sad/mysterious "dialogue" music, etc)

2)Ability to toggle OFF or ON any encounter as "guard" or "enemy".

3)More non-adventuring costumes and accessories, like dresses, hats, canes (I know what you're thinking), fans, etc....

4)New, Large/Huge/Colossal monsters.

5)More animals with appropriate and working battle/non-battle animations.
  • Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Foundry Reward System is a priority above all else in my opinion.

I agree with all those.

Plus I would add pvp foundry quests. As the devs are clueless in this area so far, may as well see what we can come up with.
  • Options
    lightbringer1102lightbringer1102 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ability to make an NPC SIT DOWN PROPERLY on a chair, or have sitting models like a king sitting on his throne.
    Part#1 (Belial) NW-DCVQ737WR
  • Options
    littlegoofball1littlegoofball1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'd like
    Bosses for foundry
    weapon selection for foundry costumized costumes
    Pvp sounds interesting
    more music sounds okay
    Haven't looked since the update this morning, but is there more wilderness assets now?
    rewards for story/puzzles are a big one!
    Easier to make a guild (just two or three players needed, that way we can go and start recruiting with our guild already set up!)
    quests to fill the gap between level 12 or so (broken idol) and level 17 (which i'm almost at, thanks to proffesions and foundry dailies) I understand if they want to force us to play foundries, but theres like no story at this point... I'm okay with the open endedness, just wish Sgt Knox told us "your on your own now, come back at level 17"
  • Options
    littlegoofball1littlegoofball1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I love the new gateway features!
  • Options
    perylousperylous Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    On top of what's been already mentioned, I'd like to see:

- Vendors! Just the normal pot vendors will do, but being able to a vendor so players can sell off stuff they don't really want would be nice. As extra bonus, if we could add custom items to a vendor as well, with price set by "expensive" (a few silver) to cheap (a couple of copper), scalable by player level. Maybe dependent on number of mobs that potentially drop saleable loot/money.

- Fixes so that the 2D editor fully works under Linux (yeah I know, not officially supported. Quiet you!)

- Custom encounters, with selectable weapon attacks for the mobs.

- Saving edited costumes/encouters etc so that they can be used in other modules.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.
  • Options
    karranorkarranor Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    These are some great suggestions! I would love to see these implemented ASAP. Especially since it seems this game is leaning so heavily on the community to develop content for the game.
    Main(s): Kyruel Foecrusher OP, Meriki The Mad CW, Mortalis TR, Gorebringer GWF, Karranor HR
    Loads of videos: Neverwinter Video Guides!
    Find Neverwinter Game Guides on DDM's Realm!

The Fyxt RPG combines digital convenience with the fun of a tabletop RPG. Play the Fyxt RPG now for free!

Play Smarter, Not Harder! ~ Karranor
  • Options
    kingdutkakingdutka Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I love pretty much all of these ideas and back them 100%! I can't think of anything to add to the list at this time.
  • Options
    blueboxerblueboxer Member Posts: 34
    edited August 2013
    1) Fix scaling. It's insane that an author should have to build in, and then provide instructions for, selecting a difficulty that scales to your level. An encounter should retain its difficulty for all character levels and classes. This "for a moderately difficult combat on a solo cleric under 30 pick X, for a cleric between 30 and 40 pick Y ..." just makes it hard for players to enjoy foundry content.

2) Timers and counters - you should be able to define timers and count how many kills in the timer duration. Timers should also be allowed as synchronization points for animations, or to change to a different animation cycle. Counters should be able to count things like how many times a player talked to an NPC, went through a portal, etc.

3) Auto adjust for really bad players - if a player dies 3 times in the first encounter, or has been fighting for more than twice the average length of the quest, cut them some slack and scale back the encounters a bit. If they are taking that long, they aren't exploiting. Maybe they have a poor connection, or maybe they are really young, or have some handicap. These players can run normal content by picking stuff below their level, but there is no way to do that in a foundry quest, so they just have to give up and quit.

4) Provide a bigger review comment area, the current review is way to short to get meaningful comments in.
  • Options
    moonchipzmoonchipz Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2013
    1. TIMERS
    2. Non-linear storyboard
    3. Allow us variables(for storing decisions a character makes)
    4. More music
    5. Ability to use the same sound marker more than once
    6. Ability to customize encounters(number of mobs, weapon types)
    7. More clothing choices
    8. Ability to turn multiple selected objects into a cluster and to be able to change the y value of multiple objects at once
    9. Y and Z coordinates swapped, so z represents the 3d axis like it does in every other editor out there
    10. size scaling(details, NPCs, Encounters)
    11. Support for cut scenes.
  • Options
    celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited August 2013
    All of the above mentioned are on my short list. Timers and bosses at the top of that list. For timers, at least for me, an expanded encounter budget does not take care of the issue. We need a real timer tool, so we can stop doing this very simple task in a very inefficient manner.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    celantra wrote: »
    For timers, at least for me, an expanded encounter budget does not take care of the issue. We need a real timer tool, so we can stop doing this very simple task in a very inefficient manner.

Yes, but UNTIL we can get Timers - at least an increase (even slight) in encounter budget would alleviate some of the pain.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    1. Beasts and Creatures: This is my number one. We need some non-humanoid stuff that works. We can reskin stuff to look like bears, panthers, wolves, etc... but they don't animate attacks. And we need more anyway. Fix the ones we have and add more.

2. Boss encounters: Wanting this a lot whenever they get it done. Will be great to have.

3. Reward system: Looking forward to any improvements to the current reward system.

4. Party Scaling: This would be great even if it was just an HP boost to the enemies. Add challenge to the maps without a lot of work. And keep speed running groups from cutting the estimated time on quests down as much.

5. Natural Small Cave Tileset: A small cave tileset that doesn't look like a mine. Tired of using half my detail budget filling in the holes in the large caves.

6. Sounds: Let us pick the sound-set an encounter uses. So we can avoid hearing "For the Nashers!".

7. Timer: Seems like a simple thing, but must not be since its not been added. Would be very useful.

8, 9, 10... Whatever. I could add a million things to the list. But those others are what I am hoping for most. And what I think we need.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    bottlerocket765bottlerocket765 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    you know what i would like them to the foundry? bring it back up so i can work on my stuff. put that on my top 10.
    nut yah, bossess, music, and new animations would be cool.
  • Options
    hybridx04hybridx04 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    (I got bored and decided to post here.)

1) A more competent publisher holding the reins on the game.
    2) Properly set up, dedicated Foundry dev team.

The rest should follow. =D
  • Options
    agentjasporagentjaspor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    1. Timer objects - This has been discussed plenty, so I'll just say that the workarounds are cumbersome and unreliable and this feature could single-handedly change the face of Foundry quests.
    2. "Make your own encounter" ability - I'm getting sick of reskinning the same encounters over and over again, and then realizing that the combat animations or sounds fit horribly, so I have to try another encounter. Building encounters by using NPCs and assigning a handful of "combat types" to them would go a long way.
    3. Better incentives/rewards - The ADs on the daily are a nice thought, but frankly the amount for the effort (4 in one day?!) are very low. For max level players, why not throw them an extra bone and give them a GG token or two as well?
    4. Zomg, bosses! - I'm okay with waiting for this a bit while they figure out their own bosses out and how to make the mechanics a bit more interesting than just spawning a hundred adds, but this has to be near the top of the list.
    5. Gateway/Online catalog - The Gateway is pretty awesome. Now that Module 1 is done and had some enhancements added to it, how about getting the Foundry hooked into it? ;)
    6. Custom PvP - I'm sure this is a huge undertaking, and the whole queue and review process would have to be revamped in order to get teams into the player made PvP maps, but this could be absolutely ground-breaking for an MMO if it's done well.
    7. Levers - Even if making them true functional toggle switches is a bit more complicated, at least give us the assets to make our own please. :)
    8. Or Logic - I've bumped this down a few notches since there are creative ways around it (outside the main story path that is), but it'd still be great to see this implemented.
    9. Cut Scenes - Nothing fancy, just the kind the current game uses where the camera zooms in right before a "boss" fight and shows their name and a quick little animation. It give a bit more epic feel to Foundry "boss" fights (which honestly don't feel incredibly epic right now considering there's only a handful of encounters that the thousands of quests re-use over and over again).
    10. Dragons! - Put the second D in D&D and watch the fun! :D

I think that about covers it for now. ;)
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What I'd really like is even better search UI. Like a Suggested page populated by missions that were highly rated by your friends, or that are highly rated by people who highly rated missions you highly rated.

We need some good networking tech to get people able to FIND stuff they want to play, and for authors to find their audience.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    veakariveakari Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    In addition to the suggestions already listed, I'd love to see:

Carts/wagons that can move (an NPC skin, with a horse/cart and/or Person/Cart type thing, that can patrol)

Appear/Disappear options on teleporters & AI nodes

A mute option for encounters - or a cone of silence (Like an invis wall, that mutes whatever is inside). Too often some noise attached to an encounter isn't appropriate for a story situation, even if the mob type is a good fit.
  • Options
    saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'd like to see a TR and GWF adventurer encounter (both friendly and not-so).

And everything else already mentioned.
  • Options
    nimhainnimhain Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Unicorn and Elk mounts available as NPCs- I would love to create some fey related quests and was very surprised that with the feywild being out the two mounts can't be used in the foundry.

Blank Snow Levels- Only pre made snow levels are available and if they don't suit want you want you can't do anything as there is no way to really create a snow level using another level.

Object Scaling- There are some awesome statues I want to use but they're too large or too small to suit what I want.
  • Options
    joe121303joe121303 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    1.)it would be nice if we could also get a second campfire for large scale maps.

2.) When we make our final boss it would be nice if we could add something similar to final bosses on dungeons where they can't leave the fighting area until the encounter is over. Right now we can add an invisible wall but then we are forced to place our campfire in the same room as our final boss so that the players will not get stuck outside the room.

3.) allowing us to add even if its just 1 class skill where they have to use thievery or religion or dungeoneering etc to get the runes/enchantments/treasures. You could even set it where it scales by level of player like in campaign mode.

4.) Roads/pavement.....The only thing even close is scattered stones 02

I love the vendor idea of adding just a simple potions vendor so that we dont have to send them to P.E. to get a B.S item so that they can buy potions if they want.
  • Options
    zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I didn't read this entire thread, so not sure if someone else already mentioned it or not. But one thing i think we definitely need now is a budget window in the 3D editor mode. Now that i can add all the assets from 3D, it'd be nice to know how my budget is looking. Did i maybe miss something, and it's already there? I couldn't find it, without having to go back to the 2D editor. I also couldn't find a way to save while in 3D after adding several new items.

And also, yes, i want the elk! :)
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Great stuff here, all, thanks so much!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just two:

Place Markers are triggerable (Appear/Disappear) - I've been requesting this one for 3.5 years (STO and now NW)

Reward system that does NOT rely on killing something.

Place Markers need to be trigger able so I can have a player traverse a hallways in one direction, then double-back - but only activate a place marker the second time through (it's hidden the first time through, then made "visible" when they reach the end - do their thing, then come back through and ready to activate).

Some way to reward players who play a quest that - for example - has ZERO (I know: GASP!!!) combat. ~cough~

I wouldn't create such a quest myself, but I'd come close to it (minimal combat that is completely avoidable). As it is now I feel compelled to add hostile encounters for no reason other than to allow the player to win loot or something. ~harumph~
  • Options
    trishanitrishani Member Posts: 41
    edited August 2013
    I would like guards to follow when not in combat.
  • Options
    boomba66boomba66 Member Posts: 221 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    trishani wrote: »

Unless this is bugged they can. I used guards to act as companions prior to the addition of adventurers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited August 2013
    trishani wrote: »
    Set the guard behavior to follow and set the follow when to the activity you want them to start. They will stop and fight with you and then continue following when combat is over. If you want to make sure that you maintain the same numbers and types of guards, you can periodically make the old group disappear and spawn a new group to take their place. Just make sure that the disappear, spawn trigger is the same on both groups or you may double up.
  • Options
    janderxjanderx Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This are not in order of importance, yet ALL are needed and must be a MUST for an adventure/module editor:

1 - Ability to create characters for the NPC: I want to create clerics or wizards, assign them stats, powers, level, inventory and loot to make a real NPC to dialogue and fight according to the need, the costume and make appear and disappear trick is, and sorry to say, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>! I want my NPC to be original or if making a conversion similar to published, no painted cut boards.

2 - Ability to use items as loot for containers, creatures and NPCs, as well as the ability to REALLY reward a player. If my NPC has a mission for the PC and is whiling to pay 30 GP I want to pay them, not use the phrase "you may take whatever is in the chest" (probably a useless pieces of gear in which the PC has to spend an id scroll to sell for 20 SP or less). This will not kill economics in the game, since all the best is in AD or Zen. Also if instead of GP the NPC wants to reward a magic sword I have to be able to put select that sword and put it in the final chest. Or if I want to reward XP, that also should be an option. And most critical, if the PC is ill prepared I don't want to randomly encounters pay him id scrolls or pieces of armor o worse healing pots. I don't want to see more the phrase "I have no control over the loot"

3 - Talking about encounters, I know that you try to emulate 4th edition rules for this but, let's be honest, is more like a free interpretation of the rules than an accurate translation. So why don't free encounters. I want to be able to group the creatures I want not using 2, 3 or more GROUPS or having to paint them as other things. If I want an counter that is 1 zombie, 1 kobold and 1 human I should be able to put them together instead, as well as to select what is in the pre made groups.

4 - CREATURES! You gave us the ones in the game, but those are in game due to plot. Perhaps I don't want to use a wight but I want to use animals, or I don't want to use a dragon (which are also missing), but I want to use a much lesser wyrm. Also there is a beholder in the game, and beholders (not that gargantuan specifically), are common trade in dungeons. Why there are goblins and not hobgoblins? There is too much to select from, but not enough for the normal, common, daily D&D adventure.

5 - And talking about the game and creatures, yes, if there are mid bosses and big bosses in game, there should be also in the foundry. Since is more action than RPG this is a must!

6 - THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE WORLD!!! THE ABILITY TO RETURN TO A PREVIOUS MAP WITHOUT DUPLICATING IT!!!!! Forgotten Realms is all about multi: multiverse, multi players, multi plots. Forgotten Realms is the quintessential definition of NON LINEAL. Is bad enough that the story board is lineal, should the mapping to??? Is ridiculous!!!

7 - Shaping the land: most of the pre made areas, especially in exteriors never fit my geography, I want to have a green area plain and the ability to lift up a portion to make a hill or perhaps a mountain division or separate two pieces of land by a river, one that can be cross bare foot or so deep that forces the player to find a bridge. I hate having to use huge cave rocks to cut the way or so.

8 - Real traps! The much used pit trap is missing and more commonly used than other traps and could lead to side dungeons or side treasures. Also setting up the DC for discovering the traps will be great since now there is a 50/50 of view the trap trigger or directly miss it with no skill whatsoever. Traps need to be smart and challenging to PCs not just hindrances in the way. Also set up the amount of damage is needed.

9 - Official in depth detailed tutorials from the Foundry creators are needed. Most of us learn to use the tool instinctively, by trial and error or referring to guides out there that maybe do not cover everything on the tool but just basic dungeon/adventures elements or tool functions. What if I wanna do a dungeon that is climbing a volcano just like the lair of the red dragon? Now, I didn't try it yet, but the landscape of that dungeon was amazing and yet with the little I've been using the tool I do not imagine how I could do it, but I'm imagining that it will be a headache trying to figure it out.

10 - Backgrounds, lighting, sounds, music, all that in helps dress a dungeon or an adventure in a computer game, all need to be more generic instead of having references to an in game area or at least have a "play" button in the editing just to know if that is what I want instead of playing the map and finding out. I should be playing the map to test a fight, a quest if responds like I set it up, the size of elements and placing, not just to see if the background music is too cheer or too grim for that particular area.

11 - BONUS NEEDS - Not having to publish the module to play it. Perhaps I want to play it with my friends with my character instead with a pre made "DM", perhaps I want to be DMing the module for my friends, this option has to be develop. Also, I notice that when I change the pre made PC I can't allocate all the power points, if I'm running the adventure testing it with a 30 lvl character I should be able to have more than 2 points in 1 at will and 1 encounter and 1 point in 1 daily (this actually don't know if it is me or the tool)

I know that perhaps most of this come to my mind just because I'm not that proficient in the tool or because I'm not that smart, but I find it in most basic cases very limiting.
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for these suggestions, all! We'll take a look at them!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!