test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP in a D&D game?

2»

Comments

• knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And even then, there were a LOT of attempts to fix that imbalance when the game was updated (until we finally got to 4e, which did it by dumping a lot of the problem child mechanics in the first place).

Heh, yes 4e did quite the job of changing the game. It appears, though, that 5e is harkening back to earlier editions from the bits I've seen of it. Perhaps 4e didn't do such a wonderful job after all, or perhaps deviated too much from the foundation.

We shall see when it comes out how much of it is of the new and how much the old.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    Ithis isn't a pnp game of D&D

..Well, yes. This is pretty much my point. It's barely a game of D&D at all. The place names are the same, and the gods are familiar, but almost every mechanic or implementation of those mechanics is very, very different (HP in the thousands?).
  • ukatoenasniukatoenasni Member Posts: 224 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Heh, yes 4e did quite the job of changing the game. It appears, though, that 5e is harkening back to earlier editions from the bits I've seen of it. Perhaps 4e didn't do such a wonderful job after all, or perhaps deviated too much from the foundation.

We shall see when it comes out how much of it is of the new and how much the old.

I think the only true guarantee we have at this point is that it'll be interesting. Each edition has been so far, with what has changed/what hasn't, and why those decisions were made (both the conspiracy theories roaming the net, and the 'official' lines from devblogs from WotC themselves). I'm kind of sad to see 4th go, but it doesn't seem like they were able to maintain the quality/momentum they had with it going in. :/ I'd really like to have seen them give it the full gamut of support they clearly intended to out of the gate.

I still wonder how much of that is Hasbro pushing unrealistic constraints on the development, though. But that's going into conspiracy territory.

[SIGPIC]Also, this poster rambles.[/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    I think the only true guarantee we have at this point is that it'll be interesting. Each edition has been so far, with what has changed/what hasn't, and why those decisions were made (both the conspiracy theories roaming the net, and the 'official' lines from devblogs from WotC themselves). I'm kind of sad to see 4th go, but it doesn't seem like they were able to maintain the quality/momentum they had with it going in. :/ I'd really like to have seen them give it the full gamut of support they clearly intended to out of the gate.

I still wonder how much of that is Hasbro pushing unrealistic constraints on the development, though. But that's going into conspiracy territory.

I wasn't keeping all that much track of it, but that edition seemed to have a pretty short shelf life. Perhaps it didn't resonate as much with their player base as they hoped it would.

From the bits I've read on WotC's site for 5e, they are heading for a much more streamlined game than those of recent editions. For one thing, the skill system was being described as optional in what I read.

Now, if the skill system is now optional, that says to me that they are at least going for some of the old school feel of the earlier editions, like AD&D 1st ed., and perhaps prior.

I have also seen references to spells to day per level, and the like.

They have also been re-releasing a lot of their older stuff, some of it in book form, and some of it in pdf, including AD&D 1st and 2nd edition rules and supplements, and adventures for them, and so forth.

I'm thinking, from all of this, they are taking an old school approach to the next edition, but likely with a more modern flair, perhaps with the idea that less is more.

I do miss the days where the character was generated quickly, and was more a product of the players own vision and imagination, than it was an example of a spreadsheet, recording endless modifier minutia.
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    voodoo12 wrote: »
    ive read a few posts..well a lot actually about the lack of pvp in the game... 2 things here. as far as i know these are PVE servers.and, how can you possibly have PvP in D&D world?... to pvp surely you need opposing factions. there arent any in this game.

another solution would be to set up a couple of pvp servers.like most other MMOs have

by the way im not a fan of pvp.but it does have its place in some games with opposing factions but not this type of environment

Discuss/

Why the hell would they make a pvp server? It isn't like pvp is forced onto any players. You can play neverwinter and never pvp. So what would be the point? I always like it when the players who either hate pvp or never play it make suggestions as if they have the perfect solution for pvp. This is a terrible idea and no need for it at all.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I wasn't keeping all that much track of it, but that edition seemed to have a pretty short shelf life. Perhaps it didn't resonate as much with their player base as they hoped it would.

I see this arguement a lot, but it lasted as long as 3.5ed did so they must have either got that just as wrong or got 4e just as right.
  • gannicsgladiatorgannicsgladiator Member Posts: 413 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    pvp is a huge part of the game. 90% my gameplay is pvp
    Dovahkiin Gannicus, GWF Sentinel- Enemy Team Guild
    Gannicus Destroyer, GWF Destroyer retired
    Kate Beckinsale NB DC, Link NB GF
    "There is only one way to be a champion..., Never ...ing lose"
    edited August 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    I see this arguement a lot, but it lasted as long as 3.5ed did so they must have either got that just as wrong or got 4e just as right.

Well, 3.5 didn't last all that long either, as I recall. Neither seemed to last as long as AD&D 1st Ed. However, I'm getting old, and my memory could be skewed on the duration of 1st. I didn't bother much with 3.5 and gave 4 a pass altogether.

I'm looking a bit more at 5, as it seems to be drawing inspiration more from the older versions than the newer.
  • yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    There is only pvp in D&D, its players vs the dungeon master. Unless your DM was a robot or something??