test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Shield is broken on the test shard?

stoxbox1stoxbox1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Library
So the way I read the patch notes shield would give only 5% AP gain per target in the new patch. Well to my horror we get 5% no matter how many targets we hit, that's 5% total!!!! I believe even all single target spells other than chill strike and repel give more AP gain than this.

WTF guys?

Really I mean a TR can use wicked reminder on a big pack and have 100% AP but we as control wizards with the singularity most groups rely on and we rely on for our survival, our best AP generating move in the past now gives us 5% total???

It's already bad enough there is no aggro control but now we have lost a lot a good chunk of our ability to control mobs. Weakest armor class in the game = biggest dps and tank already, and now I'm going to die all over the place because the GF mark doesn't really pull aggro or mark enough targets when CWs are doing any kind of aoe. Fix this, that is all.
Post edited by stoxbox1 on

Comments

• Options
    digesthisicknessdigesthisickness Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Pretty important. Wish it were in the neverwinterpreview section, so it would get noticed by those who claim to read it.
  • Options
    kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Shield on Mimic works as intended. And 22 this fix will be on live. Learn, how to kill mobs, not just control them.
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    stoxbox1 wrote: »
    So the way I read the patch notes shield would give only 5% AP gain per target in the new patch. Well to my horror we get 5% no matter how many targets we hit, that's 5% total!!!! I believe even all single target spells other than chill strike and repel give more AP gain than this.

umm not sure what patch notes you're reading. But here is the part about shield from the most recent one.

Shield: Shield Release no longer incorrectly multiplies its Action Point gain for every target hit.
    Shield: Shield Release no longer incorrectly builds a stack of Arcane Mastery for every target hit, resulting in situations where hitting 5 targets would both max the stacks while also instantly reducing its own cooldown.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Oh, right. Seems they're already aware.
  • Options
    freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 342
    edited August 2013
    Shield on Mimic works as intended. And 22 this fix will be on live. Learn, how to kill mobs, not just control them.

It's pretty annoying for you to keep on telling other people how to play =/

Shield is a primary part of most builds.

IMO, 5% is a bit too low for a shield pulse. I haven't tested it personally, though.

A 1% gain per target would even be superior.
  • Options
    derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Shield is a primary part of most builds.

IMO, 5% is a bit too low for a shield pulse. I haven't tested it personally, though.

Just ignore this troll why you even respond to him lol ?

OT : Nerfing the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of Shield will force the CWs to rethink their builds as a whole , we might even see groups picking up 3 CWs after the patch + 1 TR + 1 DC . If the devs made this change just to introduce tanks into the groups well played but it won't work . GFs and GWFs after the patch will be even less popular .

P.S. R.I.P GF/GWF in PvP . long live the CW .
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
  • Options
    darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I dont agree. When I have a good GF in the group I play very comfortable. I can take my time to use the powers, singularities, no stress. And I think I can play withouth shield, and use another encounter.

Withouth a GF, even with another CW you cant make errors, and shield is needed or you are dead (and I have 2k defense). The problem are the runs, people want to make dungeons in 10 mins. This patch will help on that too, fixing campfires and doing the chest items BoP. I want to make dungeons out of the DD event too.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • Options
    kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013

I have seen enough of singularity bots. They are useless cause of very low damage.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I have seen enough of singularity bots. They are useless cause of very low damage.

Then avoid CWs. You can start with this thread, then proceed to the entire section.
  • Options
    uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Everybody is free to voice his opinion--that goes for you and for everybody else. It is not kerrovitarra, who decides how you take his postings. It is up to everybody reading it, what to make of it. On a personal sidenote, I, actually, do like kerrovitarra's comments (even if he keeps repeating himself), but I never would go so far to claim that he is telling everybody how to play. I consider his comments related to the playstyle, he himself considers the best, just an advice.
    I've tested it and it is around 5% (fixed, not related to number of targets).
    Honestly, there are so many different ways to play the CW, just go and find another one.
    Proud member of Dragon Clan - German Gaming Community
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Players should be providing feedback. No other ability generates such a small amount of AP. It should be made more viable for AP gain than 5% AP. I don't mind the change but that is a bit too nerf.

There are way to get a point across politely...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    uurbs wrote: »
    (even if he keeps repeating himself)

Some1 doesn't understand first time, so I repeat for them. Again.
    Then avoid CWs. You can start with this thread, then proceed to the entire section.
    Sorry, I'm CW, so I simply can't avoid myself.
  • Options
    uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Some1 doesn't understand first time, so I repeat for them. Again.
    No worries, at least from me. As I do share your opinion by experience.
  • Options
    vnrenshivnrenshi Member Posts: 64
    edited August 2013
    people seem unhappy that they need to learn how to do something other than press 3 buttons to farm loot

those of us (like kerrovitarra for example) who have been playing the class as something beyond an exploit bot are happy to see this nerf to shield AP coming, because it makes us more valuable in groups

those of us who can't handle the notion of doing something other than easy mode field goal kicking should probably reroll at this point, or just suck it up and be happy that you get to actually dps stuff once in a while now
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    vnrenshi wrote: »
    people seem unhappy that they need to learn how to do something other than press 3 buttons to farm loot

those of us (like kerrovitarra for example) who have been playing the class as something beyond an exploit bot are happy to see this nerf to shield AP coming, because it makes us more valuable in groups

those of us who can't handle the notion of doing something other than easy mode field goal kicking should probably reroll at this point, or just suck it up and be happy that you get to actually dps stuff once in a while now

This is a very arrogant assumption. Most people would simply like a better AP generation from Shield Pulse because it renders the CW vulnerable after performing a pulse. 5% basically makes it pointless to Pulse and, in fact, not a useful ability to slot at all.

The risk to perform a Shield Pulse is too great in order to be rewarded with such a small generation of AP. Taking in to account that the situations where a CW would use a Shield Pulse are when they are being swarmed by many targets makes the situation worse for this encounter.

Hopefully we all get a free retrain with the addition of Fey.
  • Options
    iergoiergo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    If the intent of the balance changes to shield were meant with sincerity, then I think the ability to generate Action Points while using storm pillar outside of an encounter should be removed.

In one instance you are hitting multiple targets and with the balance changes you lose any multiplicative Action point gain. Whereas, using Storm Pillar freely outside of combat one can gain a great fraction of the reworked Shield's Action Point gain.
  • Options
    stoxbox1stoxbox1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And also, to my knowledge, neither the cast time nor the damage part of shield have been tempered with--just the AP gain part.

The part about gaining arcane stacks will increase our shield recast.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    stoxbox1 wrote: »
    The part about gaining arcane stacks will increase our shield recast.
    Yes, you cannot chain-cast Shield anymore. True. But I never did that anyway.
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    So shield not only went from the best AP generating ability to the worst, but I also have to wait the ~13 seconds to recast it after popping it? So we are forced to slot EF on tab, but even if I do that, and refill my AP quickly enough to throw out another singu I still have to wait the 13 seconds for shield to come back up, and I can't use repel cause I have to have EF on tab for even somewhat decent AP generation.

I guess the good part about this patch is that I have no problem respeccing my CW for PVP now as my best PvE character just got worthless.

Do you realize what this does? Now it doesn't matter what your GS is as a CW. You are absolutely forced to slot EF on tab if you want to use singu, and you can only knock mobs off the edge every ~15 seconds b/c of your shield cd. This is not going to solve bumping. This is going to make every group have 2-3 CW's and the CW's gear doesn't matter, they just need 3k+ recovery so they can keep the singu's coming...

I will definitely be trying out oppressor for pvp and will probably stop PvE altogether as there is no build variance anymore. EF on tab - Always, shield - always, steal time - must have now that there is such a long cd between bumps. that leaves one slot up for your own preference, and even then it should probably be icy terrain for another aoe root to keep mobs under control while you're waiting for shield to come off cd.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    pfft2pfft2 Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes, you cannot chain-cast Shield anymore. True. But I never did that anyway.

You can still come pretty close with the Archmage set bonus + Steal Time. ;)

(I realize that's not a terribly helpful or even relevant answer.)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    pfft2 wrote: »
    You can still come pretty close with the Archmage set bonus + Steal Time. ;)

(I realize that's not a terribly helpful or even relevant answer.)

Wait does archmage set proc multiple times during steal time? that would be pretty cool actually
  • Options
    pfft2pfft2 Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    Wait does archmage set proc multiple times during steal time? that would be pretty cool actually

Yup. Steal Time cuts about 5 seconds from the cooldowns of your other control powers.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So shield not only went from the best AP generating ability to the worst, but I also have to wait the ~13 seconds to recast it after popping it? So we are forced to slot EF on tab, but even if I do that, and refill my AP quickly enough to throw out another singu I still have to wait the 13 seconds for shield to come back up, and I can't use repel cause I have to have EF on tab for even somewhat decent AP generation. [...]
    If you excuse me objecting you vehemently, but there are more solutions to solving dungeons as to only use "Shield" and "Arcane Singularity". I never ever used just those two powers, therefore I do not consider the impact that game breaking.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So we are forced to slot EF on tab, but even if I do that, and refill my AP quickly enough to throw out another singu I still have to wait the 13 seconds for shield to come back up, and I can't use repel cause I have to have EF on tab for even somewhat decent AP generation.

There are a lot of other powers, that generates enough of AP. Why all of you are stuck with only one spell, that even do no AoE damage, which is your primary role?
    I guess the good part about this patch is that I have no problem respeccing my CW for PVP now as my best PvE character just got worthless.
    Only cause you can't adapt? You used to be a singularity bot, isn't you? Well, it's your choise. Bad wizards are dying, good wizards survives. Natural selection in all its glory.
    I will definitely be trying out oppressor for pvp and will probably stop PvE altogether as there is no build variance anymore. EF on tab - Always, shield - always, steal time - must have now that there is such a long cd between bumps. that leaves one slot up for your own preference, and even then it should probably be icy terrain for another aoe root to keep mobs under control while you're waiting for shield to come off cd.
    You stuck in stereotypes. As for me, I'll hardly ever use EF on tab. I didn't use it before, I won't use it after patch except maybe solo CW CN. As for long CD of shield, you can use repel... oh, wha~! You stuck with your EF on tab :)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    @ pfft - that is awesome I'll have to try that =)

@ everyone else - Ok lets not kid ourselves here. Yes other powers are viable, yes you can run things lots of different ways and any power can be useful in the correct situation, but what is the most effecient way to clear a dungeon? Bump adds over the ledge, it just is. Why would I take a CW over a GWF if CW isn't going to kill adds faster? I rarely used EF on tab either, but that's b/c I didn't have too, I could get a big chunk of AP from shield. Now that shield is going to be utter garbage AP gain you are going to find out very quickly that you miss that fast AP gain and will be (subliminally) forced to use EF on tab to achieve similar results.

For CN repel on tab is a must. So its going to be 1 CW with repel on tab to push, and the other CW is just going to be a Singu generator with EF on tab and all the highest AP gain abilities. "Support" wizards are going to start popping up, CW's that have like 6k recovery just so they can chain singu's like they did before the patch so that the 2nd wizard can push the mobs off. This is going to make other classes more and more obsolete and groups are going to lean more and more towards 3 CW 1 TR 1 DC for the sake of speed.

I am being realistic here, yes you can clear any dungeon with whatever set of abilities you want to use, but look at how it works right now. Groups are formulated for the quickest clear times possible and using the most time saving techniques as possible. Mark my words, people are going to be spamming zone chat with "LF2M 1 damage CW and 1 support or singu generator CW" ie 6k recovery.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Repel is good for ledge pushing too, you know. GF/GWF gathering a pack of mobs, CW repelling them. In Spellplague, for example, there are fat mobs "Maws". Gain AP on them, run to next ledge, drop AS, push with shield, find next Maw, repeat. Nothing changed, except situations, when you failed with shield. Other instances will be same, except CN last boss. But you are exaggerating with recovery. 3k would be enough.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Repel is good for ledge pushing too, you know. GF/GWF gathering a pack of mobs, CW repelling them. In Spellplague, for example, there are fat mobs "Maws". Gain AP on them, run to next ledge, drop AS, push with shield, find next Maw, repeat. Nothing changed, except situations, when you failed with shield. Other instances will be same, except CN last boss. But you are exaggerating with recovery. 3k would be enough.

3k+ is standard on all CW's right now. to get the same results post patch when our greatest ap gain ability becomes our worst ap gain ability you will need a lot more.

Yes spellplague is a good example as I already use repel there, and a GF makes the last boss a lot easier, but think of how many dungeons tanks aren't even brought to? Do you think that instead of instantly killing mobs groups are just going to say "ok we'll take the fighters to dungeons now and run them slow." No, they are going to say ok CW's can only put out half as many singu's and shield pops so we'll take extra's and run it just as fast (minus a little bit of time for less boss damage but not too bad)

Think about this in relation to the new patch as well. DD is worth nothing to those that are running the dungeons for money (ie the ones that are already geared and know what they're doing) So all the best CW's are going to be doing either malabog or CN. I have no clue about malabog but I know Draco isn't going down if you can't bump the adds properly, so most groups are going to be 3 CW 1 TR 1 DC. Hell they might even drop TR since he's cake once the mobs are glitched. So because of this CW nerf how are you the GWF/GF possibly even TR going to gear up after the 22nd? This patch hurts the other classes a lot more than it does us, as we are needed no matter how much they nerf our AP.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Other dungeons?
    Frozen Heart: a few dropping positions and golems. You can easily save AS for them and replenish AP on golems.
    Karrundax: no ledges.
    Spider: a few ledges. Same for frozen.
    Spellplague: mentioned above.
    Never: the only place, where you can't regain AS on fat mobs and maybe will require "support" wizard with EF on tab.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    lol ok if you haven't ever done speed runs don't comment on them please...

Karru 1st and 2nd boss can killed without agro'ing any adds by ranged classes ie CW's so you need at least 2 of them for fastest possible run.

Spider you can run forward to a knockoff point in every single situation, the only time I don't bump mobs is boss fights. Spider can completed in 15 minutes by running from knock off point to knock off point, see how close you come to that by killing all adds.

FH again you can run ahead to knock off points and if you position yourself correctly can even get the frost golems that are immune to CC to jump off the ledge on their own. another 15-20 minute instance if done right, it sometimes takes longer b/c trash takes a minute to despawn at the end.

I just don't understand how the developers were so short sighted with these nerfs, it seems like they didn't even think about any other possible outcomes. They just said, we'll nerf AP gain so that parties will have to take fighters. NO, parties will just take more CW's and continue to do things the fastest way until you give fighters more to bring to the table. But instead they are also nerfing GWF, the currently weakest class in PvE.
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lol ok if you haven't ever done speed runs don't comment on them please...

Karru 1st and 2nd boss can killed without agro'ing any adds by ranged classes ie CW's so you need at least 2 of them for fastest possible run.

Spider you can run forward to a knockoff point in every single situation, the only time I don't bump mobs is boss fights. Spider can completed in 15 minutes by running from knock off point to knock off point, see how close you come to that by killing all adds.

FH again you can run ahead to knock off points and if you position yourself correctly can even get the frost golems that are immune to CC to jump off the ledge on their own. another 15-20 minute instance if done right, it sometimes takes longer b/c trash takes a minute to despawn at the end.

I just don't understand how the developers were so short sighted with these nerfs, it seems like they didn't even think about any other possible outcomes. They just said, we'll nerf AP gain so that parties will have to take fighters. NO, parties will just take more CW's and continue to do things the fastest way until you give fighters more to bring to the table. But instead they are also nerfing GWF, the currently weakest class in PvE.

Maybe it is an attempt to decrease the use of exploits and abuse of AI. You're hilarious, upset that Devs are not making your speed runs any faster. lol
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.