test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Easy gold spammer solution

aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
The gold spamming is getting much worse it seems. I enjoy reading zone chat. Finding groups via zone chat in prot enclave. Selling keys, buying things for gold etc. Last night I had enough and just logged off though after an endless barrage of gold spammers. I realize it is hard to "control" them because this is a f2p game that allows people to make unlimited accounts etc. Here are a few thoughts that would at least partially fix or put a good band aid on the situation with minimal effort from pw.

The easiest/best idea in my mind would be that something could be implemented where only one thing of text can be sent from a person once every 5-10 seconds. This way, the spammers could spam once only instead of mashing whatever button they use over and over to make a huge wall of text that totally overwhelms everything in the zone. I mean, they do it so fast, it is nearly impossible to /ignore them w/o scrolling on the chat window to stop the text and then clicking the name. To me, this would be a very easy solution that would effect the community minimally. A really popular mmorpg had something like this where even if you were talking too much in the zone/trade chat you would get a message stating too many characters have been sent in x time. Please wait and try your request again shortly..

Another option which would be slightly more invasive would be to make someone be lvl 6 or 8 or 10 before being able to talk in PE. Again, I realize this option wouldn't be as popular because there are new people that have legit questions etc before they will reach that lvl.

Finally, maybe eliminate the copy/paste or whatever it is that allows them to spam the same thing over and over. If every spam has to be manually entered character by character, they will maybe get one spam out and be ignored by enough people to be muted before they have the chance to type it out again.

I think I could deal much more easily with 1 block of spam every so often easily. What really gets to me is the blocks of spam. I mean, the junk scrolls so fast it is ridiculous. Nothing else can be seen in zone chat. Anything that happens to be posted in the midst of the endless spam is instantly lost in their multiple paragraphs.

Again, I know this can be a tough problem to combat on a f2p game, but these (especially the first) suggestion would be so easy to implement and greatly improve the quality of the game. If something doesn't change soon, it will ruin the game for me and I will have to walk away with many others.

Thanks

Edited to add a blank line to make it more divided/easy to read.