test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Create two builds/character (Dual Spec) good/bad Idea?

osyriaosyria Member Posts: 15 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello fellow Adventurer's, Roleplayers, Bloodthirsty PvP'ers, Dungeon Crawlers, Treasure Hunters, Raiders, and Table Dancers,

Most of us who enjoy Neverwinter are all these things and more. Now I am not sure about you guys, but I like to play games that allow me to personally tailor my character to complement my personal play style and allow me to compete in the highest echelons of all aspects of the game with my fellows.

All games have small hiccups and balance issues etc, but most I can live around or live with until they are patched,and I have found Neverwinter to largely satisfy my core desires, and a few others, such as my new found desire to enjoy and create custom content quests. I'm not huge on the single story-line driven quests as they offer little replay value, but I enjoy the Foundry, Dungeoning, Skirmishes, and PvP.

Neverwinter for me, however, has one glaring flaw, I cannot enjoy all these aspects on any single character. While in other games people create alts to try different classes/races, in Neverwinter I have to create alts to just to fully immerse myself and compete in different aspects of the game on the same class. I currently have all my character slots taken up making two rogues, one that I create to enjoy PvP content and the other I use to enjoy PvE content.

Now I am not a leech, I am willing to invest money into a game I enjoy, so that it may survive that I can continue to enjoy it. Once I enjoy my Rogue a bit more, I would love to try a CW, then buy some more slots to maybe make a GF, and someday a Cleric. Of course all these characters will need bags of holding, and I'm big on fashion items, and companions, not to mention keys to open all those nightmare boxes... Never fear! The Zen will still flow. But paying 300 zen, and a butt tonne of astral diamonds to respec my character every time my PvP que pops is utterly ridiculous.
As is thought of having to make and level two of each of the classes I want to play, just so I can really focus my build; It is so abhorrent as to make me shiver. Especially when you consider having to level them each through a single story-line style game.

What I am hoping for is that we players may be allowed to create two builds for each of our characters. Either offered as a built in feature, or a feature that you activate by purchasing a one time Zen item or Pack. Then we can switch between these builds while in a rest zone (camp fire / altar) with a 10 sec hold on our abilities after switching (or something like that).

How many other players would like to see this sort of feature added?
Post edited by osyria on

Comments

• Options
    aerisodaerisod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I would like this.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I wouldn't say no.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    slayorianslayorian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It really doesn't take long to level another character to 60. And, you get extra profession slots/daily invokes... and pack space... and bank space... and dailies...

I suppose they could put the feature in for a zen cost or something along those lines, but I'd probably still just level up another character.
  • Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'll buy this if they package and sell it, or happily use it for free. Whichever way it comes, I like it.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I would like for it to be free, but I suspect PWE makes quite a bit of money on people buying zen to convert to AD for respecs, so I think it would have to be a store purchase.
  • Options
    yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    DCUO made the respec of a toon very reasonable (500 coin ingame) but that was because all thier classes are set up as dps or role, so if you were a 'healer' in heal mode, you would want one build, but say the party has its 2 healers... well 500 coin and 5 minutes and you respec to dps. you respec so often there, people request to have a 'set config' so i could go and swap to my config of choice rather than take the 5 minutes...

I think this is decent idea, but given the current cost of a respec (i assume it is a lot) i would not see this happening.
  • Options
    osyriaosyria Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Current cost to respec your character is quite cheap if taken as a once in a awhile thing. It's 300 Zen to respec your powers, and an amount of astral diamonds to redo your feats based on your level (at level 20 it's about 7000). However if you were wanting to switch spec to enjoy PvP/PvE content a few times each day you played it's simply not sustainable.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2013
    Definitely need this. I comment often how every threat management feat for every class is an absolute waste of points in PvP. Kind of silly. Add something to the threat management feats for PvP, or allow dual spec. I don't like having wasted points.
  • Options
    aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Any game with pve/pvp should have some dual spec option.. It just makes sense since different trees are obviously for different situations.
  • Options
    faeriestormfaeriestorm Member Posts: 460 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I'd love to see this in game. I already have 3 clerics to experience the different paragon trees (one still leveling) but I wouldn't need that third one if there is dual spec. Leveling alts through the storyline again is so boring!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2013
    Leveling alts through the storyline again is so boring!

Foundry.

But really - you shouldn't have to make 2 different characters to enjoy PvE and PvP, or purchase a respec to not feel as if you have wasted points for either or. One character should be able to do both at peak performance. If they don't tweak the feats to be useful in both PvE and PvP, they need to add dual spec.
  • Options
    faeriestormfaeriestorm Member Posts: 460 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    Foundry.

But really - you shouldn't have to make 2 different characters to enjoy PvE and PvP, or purchase a respec to not feel as if you have wasted points for either or. One character should be able to do both at peak performance. If they don't tweak the feats to be useful in both PvE and PvP, they need to add dual spec.

foundry give 0 exp for killing mobs inside it and you only get a pittance for completing the foundry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I would love this! But I don't think they can do it. If this game was just PvE, then there wouldn't be a problem. But the inclusion of PvP messes everything up.

Look at the nightmare we have now of trying to 'balance' the existing classes for PvP. Dual specced classes would be impossible to balance.