test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A message to CWs

bigbadbieberbigbadbieber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
edited September 2013 in The Library
Please use arcane singularity during boss fights, not your stupid ice Dailies that do garbage dmg

thanks
Post edited by bigbadbieber on

Comments

• Options
    captfreedom76captfreedom76 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah I agree with this. Nothing worse than having to chase down some mobs because of this.
  • Options
    ciopenhauerciopenhauer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Might want to make some friends instead of using the queue system, eh?
  • Options
    jawarisinjawarisin Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Might want to make some friends instead of using the queue system, eh?

+1 /10chars
    CW Renegade comprehensive build+guide PvP:
    Here for the build+guide
  • Options
    kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Please use arcane singularity during boss fights, not your stupid ice Dailies that do garbage dmg

thanks

Nope.
    /10chars
  • Options
    nasafurenasafure Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I only play a Control Wizard and not only is your post outrageous by asking another player to play as you want but sometimes by mistake I hit Ice Knife. And another thing if Ice Knife is used the right way it can do much damage.
    Parting is all we know of heaven, And all we need of hell.
  • Options
    meeggtoastmeeggtoast Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Ice Storm does more damage than arcane singularity, but you should be using singularity 99% of the time.
    Nevermore@meeggtoast 12.2 BiS TR
    Lanaya@meeggtoast 13.4 BiS GWF
    Shendelzare@meeggtoast 11.2k CN mule CW

Server: Dragon
    Stream: meeggtoast
    Guide: Meeggtoast's Destroyer Dps Guide
  • Options
    pfft2pfft2 Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    meeggtoast wrote: »
    Ice Storm does more damage than arcane singularity, but you should be using singularity 99% of the time.

Apropos of nothing, Oppressive Force seems a little underrated. It doesn't give you the positioning power of Arcane Singularity, but it has no target cap and it activates near-instantly, and OF prevents foes from attacking your party longer than Arcane Singularity does.

Singularity actually isn't all that great as a proactive mitigation tool; mobs attack pretty much as normal right up until the moment they're sucked up into the bubble o' doom. They're out of action for maybe 2 seconds. Singularity does have a significant indirect advantage with respect to its damage output though: it allows the Wizard to use Shield Pulse as a guilt-free attack.

Anyway, I've noticed that PuGs seem to miss it when I use Oppressive Force. "Why aren't you using Singularity more often?" The answer is that it isn't always obviously the best tool for the situation.
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

thanks

The objective of a CW is to control the adds to mitigate incoming damage and prevent wipes while doing damage, not to simply spam Singularity to pump up the dps score of others. Scattering mobs can be a form of CC at times. Randomly scattering mobs for no reason obviously isnt productive, but there are situations where Ice Storm is useful.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    wondraswondras Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013

thanks

This is troll, isnt he? :D
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    wondras wrote: »
    This is troll, isnt he? :D

Let's just say that if you check his previous posts it is pretty clear that we should all be carrying torches or acid...
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Is that a troll? Sometimes, killing things is better than controlling them. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    maicakatmaicakat Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As my main is a CW, I know that Singularity works better in a group. I say this because if I were to pop shield or ice storm to throw the baddies around it can interrupt the GF/GWF when using one of their powers, effectively wasting it. Singularity allows all the baddies to be grouped together better enabling the GF/GWF to mark/pull agro etc. Just my two-cents worth of opinion. :)
  • Options
    digesthisicknessdigesthisickness Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I have a level 60 CW and a level 60 DC and as a person who has grouped with both, I can say it's almost always a good thing not to scatter if there is nowhere to scatter them to or off that's productive. The DC throws down a sweet circle for the tanks and then suddenly NO ONE IS ON IT. Ha. They've been scattered around the room wasting the heal and buff. If there's a cliff or they're close to dead though, Ice Storm is a good finisher.
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I imagine he is talking about ice storm and not ice knife. Certain boss fights need singu and certain ones don't, in which case your job is to burn boss, so you use ice knife.

FH add are kited, so you use ice knife, Karra same thing ice knife, Spider if you singu the charging mobs will be able to use their charge like 3 times while your singu slowly drags them away and each hit does 4x more damage than a regular attack, daze daily is best for spider until she starts killing adds, and then ice knife b/c its all about burning boss. Spell plague depends on whether you have a good tank or not, if you have GF holding adds you won't need singu very much, maybe once or twice, otherwise ice knife for faster boss kill. Obviously CN all singu until mobs are bugged and then ice knife for damage.

So there are cases when each of the 3 dailies are useful, ice storm is really only useful in PvP though, and even then it's meh.

Oh and all other dungeons are worthless as they don't drop anything good enough to go there so I won't talk about them lol.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I have a level 60 CW and a level 60 DC and as a person who has grouped with both, I can say it's almost always a good thing not to scatter if there is nowhere to scatter them to or off that's productive. The DC throws down a sweet circle for the tanks and then suddenly NO ONE IS ON IT. Ha. They've been scattered around the room wasting the heal and buff. If there's a cliff or they're close to dead though, Ice Storm is a good finisher.

I guess it never happens that Astral Shield is on cooldown, half the party is at half health or less and 10+ mobs some with AoE and Cleaves overlapping. Yea scattering at least half of them, even killing 1-2 in the process, and buying the group 2-4 extra seconds is a very bad idea. Nevermind the fact that a single Shield Pulse or Ice Storm can do more damage then the combined Single target encounters of the TR/GWF/GF, if not killing adds out right, applying huge debuffs/procs and softening them up for melee to finish off.
    I am not saying constantly scattering mobs should be part of a rotation, but certainly not wise to brush off its usefulness either.
  • Options
    fallenjedi29fallenjedi29 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Crazy how these posts pop up when I've experienced the frustration first hand last night. I play CW as a main and GF as an alt and running with a group build up of 2 TR, 1 CW, 1 DC and myself as GF inside Epic Mad Dragon this very debate came into play. Now I agree there are scenarios where Ice Storm is useful and I also think that how you play is very personal and players should invest time into different skill sets to polish your skills. But I experienced a CW who hadn't even placed skill points into Arcane Singularity or Shield and trying to explain why knocking mobs all over the room was counterproductive, I was met with only resistance. I will say this, if people who have experience offer up valuable advice, try to suppress the ego long enough to learn something about the reason behind said advice.
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    pfft2 wrote: »
    Apropos of nothing, Oppressive Force seems a little underrated. It doesn't give you the positioning power of Arcane Singularity, but it has no target cap and it activates near-instantly, and OF prevents foes from attacking your party longer than Arcane Singularity does.

Singularity actually isn't all that great as a proactive mitigation tool; mobs attack pretty much as normal right up until the moment they're sucked up into the bubble o' doom. They're out of action for maybe 2 seconds. Singularity does have a significant indirect advantage with respect to its damage output though: it allows the Wizard to use Shield Pulse as a guilt-free attack.

Anyway, I've noticed that PuGs seem to miss it when I use Oppressive Force. "Why aren't you using Singularity more often?" The answer is that it isn't always obviously the best tool for the situation.

You do realize that most mobs are MELEE, aye?
    Unless the CW is dumb enough to be casting singularity on top of teammates, singularity will pretty much CC the mob threat for the duration of it's cast. (Archer mobs tend to be weak & even TRs can face tank them.)

But otherwise as long as the mobs aren't causing a party wipe, I don't care what CWs use.
    Go ahead and use your flashy ice knife if it'll kill the boss faster & we're safe from mobs.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    deaththroedeaththroe Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've ran a few dungeons where the CW kept spamming ice storm. It was frustrating with my TR because that DF attack is just wasted but then I realized something and stopped chasing the mobs. Who the hell cares?! When the CW constantly blasts all the mobs away I just chill and wait for them to come back. The daily almost always increases the CW's threat level so a portion of the mobs go after him. I take this opportunity to build up my stealth or take out some mobs busy trying to kill the CW. As a TR it works for me so keep it up. Party dynamics be dammed do what you want buddy!
    10PM CST

• Options
    edited August 2013
    healhamsta wrote: »
    Unless the CW is dumb enough to be casting singularity on top of teammates, singularity will pretty much CC the mob threat for the duration of it's cast. (Archer mobs tend to be weak & even TRs can face tank them.)

But otherwise as long as the mobs aren't causing a party wipe, I don't care what CWs use.
    Go ahead and use your flashy ice knife if it'll kill the boss faster & we're safe from mobs.

A.) The pull of the Singularity isn't totally irresistable; mobs typically do a pretty good job of running against the pull for the first few moments.

B.) A lot of melee mobs have some sort of charge ability that bypasses or temporarily renders moot the pull of the Singularity.

C.) A lot of mobs (whether you classify them as melee or not is probably debatable, but they're not lolarchers) have looong cone/aoe powers that they use pretty much with impunity even while under the effects of Singularity.

I don't know whether your point here comes from experience playing a CW or whether you're just going by what you've seen as a third party, but in my experience as the caster of Singularity, I get a crapton of aggro just from casting the thing, and mobs have very little problem attacking me during the initial stages of the Singularity's pull. In fact, there's often enough red stuff aimed my way during a Singularity that the basic tactic of positioning for maximum shield pulse damage (and/or for a directed Shield-pulse ledge push) can be extremely dangerous.

If, in other words, you're coming at this from the perspective of a non-CW, then it's entirely possible that what you're seeing is the Singularity taking aggro away from you, and directing it at the CW. That's not necessarily a bad thing mind you; my only point is that Singularity isn't necessarily the best panic-button CC in the arsenal.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    healhamsta wrote: »

Singularity isn't a good CC spell. It's only useful if you do singularity + something else (like shield, icy terrain, or just gathering mobs in a corner for the gwf). Ice storm can be a good spell. It's not always the best choice but sometimes it is.

A few examples come to my mind:
    - when there is at least 2 mobs including a non-controllable one. Ice storm makes more damage than ice knife. If the mobs you focused is bumped, then you were focusing the wrong one anyway.
    - the last phase of the last spellplague boss, you better kill all those non-controllable minions. Ice storm is a good start.
    - the final boss of the fardelver crypt. Sometimes, after a shield pulse, imps have not much hps left and ice storm will finish them off. Since the CW should be the only one dealing with adds (with the DC maybe), it's not your business. :p Killing is always better than controlling.

I'd say that midly experienced CWs will only use singularity/ice knife. Other CWs may have a wider variety of spells and will change spells depending on the dungeons, on boss fights, etc. Many CW spells are overrated, some are underrated. Ice storm is one of them, so is oppressive force.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Singularity isn't a good CC spell. It's only useful if you do singularity + something else (like shield, icy terrain, or just gathering mobs in a corner for the gwf). Ice storm can be a good spell. It's not always the best choice but sometimes it is.

A few examples come to my mind:
    - when there is at least 2 mobs including a non-controllable one. Ice storm makes more damage than ice knife. If the mobs you focused is bumped, then you were focusing the wrong one anyway.
    - the last phase of the last spellplague boss, you better kill all those non-controllable minions. Ice storm is a good start.
    - the final boss of the fardelver crypt. Sometimes, after a shield pulse, imps have not much hps left and ice storm will finish them off. Since the CW should be the only one dealing with adds (with the DC maybe), it's not your business. :p Killing is always better than controlling.

I'd say that midly experienced CWs will only use singularity/ice knife. Other CWs may have a wider variety of spells and will change spells depending on the dungeons, on boss fights, etc. Many CW spells are overrated, some are underrated. Ice storm is one of them, so is oppressive force.

Good summary.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    A few examples imply there are more cases, these are the only cases you shouldn't kick a CW for using Ice Storm
    Interesting point, but it is better to just save the daily for the next encounter
    That's 1 example.
    That's the second example.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    A few examples imply there are more cases, these are the only cases you shouldn't kick a CW for using Ice Storm

Interesting point, but it is better to just save the daily for the next encounter

That's 1 example.

That's the second example.

I have no trouble charging my AP bar, really. So i don't need to "save" it for the next encounter.

There are some other examples. It's just hard to make a comprehensive list. I use it all the time in Frozen heart (except during boss fights ofc), it's a great help to kill golems. Really, a lot better than ice knife. You can pull two golems, use ice storm, hit them for 7 to 15k each, charge your daily, do it with the next golem or get to a cliff with your daily up...

In epic DV, you also want thoon hulks to fly all over the place. The CW and the GF can take care of that. Chilling them is suicide. Singularity won't do much, unless you have a cliff, but using shield only should be a better choice even in this situation. So, ice storm is again a great help in there. It's the only spell allowing you to take care of 2 hulks at the same time. It's an interrupt, a bump and a stun. All you need to stop the black hole effect.

It is a good spell, better than ice knife for dps. But you have to learn to use it, because the bumps can be a negative side effect. Or a good one, depending on the situation.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Since you asked, the following are good scenarios to use Ice Storm:
    - To finish off a handful of adds at or below 20% health.
    - To deal significant damage to multiple CC immune mobs.
    - To toss a handful of adds of a bridge or area with more than one ledge instead of wasting 7-8 seconds throwing a singularity and shield punting, risking someone getting smacked in the face.
    - Someone is down and you want to clear the area instantly for a revive.
    - Astral Shield on cooldown and the party is taking lots of damage, to buy a few seconds for pots cooldowns and Astral Shield to come back up.
    - Situations where everyone is on the boss (example: final boss in Karrundax) and the adds are not a priority but still want some limited CC. Ice storm will do nice damage to the boss and toss a few adds out of the way for a few sec, while the CW never breaks single target dps on boss.
    - My personal favorite, a Huge heal burst for a CW with Lifesteal :)

Dont get me wrong, I am not running with Ice Storm slotted 100% of the time. The group make up also determines whether I would slot it or not. But you asked for examples :)

For CWs that have no issues with AP, saving Dailies is blasphemy :P
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Oh and i forgot a major use of ice storm: i always use it over sing during the spider queen fight. You want to remove HPs from blademasters, not gathering them. Since the queen will kill her adds, extra CC is unnecessary. And it's often a lifesaver when the blue circle of life is down. When i play my DC, i yell on the CW until he uses ice storm and stops doing extra control. :p It's a very common mistake and leads to epic failures.

Like the above poster, it's definitely not always on my spell bar, but it's a good spell and i can use it when it's required or a better choice.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I prefer casting arcane singularity at once on the next encounter (since it takes 3 seconds for Singularity's pull force to strengthen and actually pull mobs and place them in a favorable corner/spot), and immediately charging up for the 2nd singularity casting it again within 3-5 seconds.

It isn't an issue of not being able to charge up the daily fast enough, but min-maxing to the point where you have singularity up as much as you can to increase control and mob positioning efficiency.

The examples you provided are mostly swiss army type niche scenarios. Ice Storm is indeed useful in very specific spots, but I'll stick with my premise that CW should be casting Singularity as a rule of thumb on ALMOST all scenarios.

There are relatively few CWs with a lifesteal build, that is a case that I cannot comment since I have not built a CW stacking lifesteal nor do I have any experience with it.
  • Options
    freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 342
    edited August 2013
    There is literally no time in which casting an Ice Storm is better than casting Arcane Singularity.

In the example that, "Some mobs are left with a little HP." Guess what, another Arcane Singularity will kill them off too, along with still providing better control.

Someone mentioned that Arcane Singularity is not a good CC ability... what are you smoking sir? It's by far the most important spell for a great CW to drop as often as possible.
  • Options
    freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 342
    edited August 2013
    Oh and i forgot a major use of ice storm: i always use it over sing during the spider queen fight. You want to remove HPs from blademasters, not gathering them. Since the queen will kill her adds, extra CC is unnecessary. And it's often a lifesaver when the blue circle of life is down. When i play my DC, i yell on the CW until he uses ice storm and stops doing extra control. :p It's a very common mistake and leads to epic failures.

Like the above poster, it's definitely not always on my spell bar, but it's a good spell and i can use it when it's required or a better choice.

Gathering the mobs with the Sing and then Mastery EF + Shield Pulse is far better damage than a one time Ice Storm. Not to mention that the Mastery EF + Shield Pulse will restore nearly 80% of an AP meter, if not the entire AP meter.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Someone mentioned that Arcane Singularity is not a good CC ability... what are you smoking sir? It's by far the most important spell for a great CW to drop as often as possible.

To say that it's not a good crowd control probably is to overstate the case, but what he meant was that it's not the best CC ability we have for mitigating damage -- that is, to take as many mobs as possible out of the action as fast as possible and for as long as possible so the party can breathe. And that much is most certainly true, for all of the reasons discussed in this thread: Singularity allows many mobs to continue to attack for several seconds after it's cast. And Singularity itself has a non-trivial cast time.

So, for example, if you're surrounded and you need the mobs to stop attacking NOW, hitting Oppressive Force might be a better idea.
  • Options
    kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Mastery EF is a waste of mastery slot. It competes with shard of endless crappyness for worse choice on tab slot.