test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why are Dungeon ques so long?

lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
How does the dungeon que system work?

I mean come on cryptic says there is 2 million players then why does it take an hour and sometime 1.5hours to get into a dungeon.

Why not merge servers then to get that que time down to a reasonable time frame at least 15-30min max for higher lvl dungeons.

Come on with 2 million players it shoudnt take that long to que for a dungeon at lvl 60.

What have the devs said about this que system and getting the wait times down also.
Post edited by lostmarbleshere on

Comments

• klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    The dungeons are so horrible in Neverwinter, that I don't think there are many people that actually run them. I know I don't. I ran a couple when I first started playing, but I hated the experience so much that I've never run another one.

So I think your best bet is to look for a dedicated guild that likes dungeon running. I know there are a few of them out there.

Best of luck.
  • jedite2012jedite2012 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    No one does pug dungeons cause sometimes they wuss out on a boss fight after 1 wipe and leave you hanging after spending around 40 minutes in that dungeon

who does that c'mon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • uvirith1uvirith1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 124
    edited August 2013
    Because the dungeons in this game are horrible. Really, really horrible. Worst dungeons Ive ever seen. And I pretty much played every mmo in the last 20 years.
    They are way too long for not enough reward. The trash is too weak to have any use other than content stretching.
    And the bossencounters. Oh where should I even start. They are essentially all the same. Evade AoE and fight increasingly large numbers of adds. They used the same Script for all of them. The only difference is the mobskin.
    So thanks, but no thanks
  • omgnicktakenomgnicktaken Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Pre 60 many people just don't do them because its not exactly the best xp return and often makes you waste resources (pots and kits). At 60, most people only do them when the DD event is up, and to be precise start building groups around 20-40 min before the event to "preclear" (clear the dungeon all the way to the boss, then relog or exit/reenter when the DD is up to get the chest). Queing outside of DD preclear time window will eihter get you no party, or you get the remains of a disbanded party that failed and is more likely to fail again. Also, the epic dread vault is neglected by most experienced players because it takes too long and and the possible rewards are rather worthless.
  • meirrilmeirril Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Also you have to look at what class you are. There are a ton of rogues and wizards in the queue. When I queue up my cleric I generally get a group really fast. If you were a guardian fighter you'd probably be matched up to a group instantly.

As far as I can tell the queuing system wants 1 GF, 1 DC and then any 3 of the other classes.
  • hobokenboyhobokenboy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I mean come on cryptic says there is 2 million players then why does it take an hour and sometime 1.5hours to get into a dungeon.

Because the game population is two million(yeahright)...but everyone rolls CW and DC and TR but the PuG grouping system tries to balance the party with one of each class?
    I'm unhappy and I can't say why.
  • kulrigkulrig Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    uvirith1 wrote: »
    And the bossencounters. Oh where should I even start. They are essentially all the same. Evade AoE and fight increasingly large numbers of adds. They used the same Script for all of them. The only difference is the mobskin.

Aye, I was pretty disappointed when I saw that was the case. So far I've done cloak tower and cragmire crypts, and it's always boss and a few adds, then some more adds, then more adds, and a bunch of bad on the ground to avoid. Even the skirmish and quest bosses so far are like that. Sometimes the adds come on faster, sometimes the red does something other than damage, but really? Out of all of the boss encounters I've done, the only one that was different was the competing adventurer party. One of about 15 I've done isn't based around a big bad boss with a horde of minions.

I'm glad that dungeons aren't simply "hit what the tank does until it dies" like in a more trinity-focused MMO, but each boss fight still feels no different than another.
  • yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    meirril wrote: »
    Also you have to look at what class you are. There are a ton of rogues and wizards in the queue. When I queue up my cleric I generally get a group really fast. If you were a guardian fighter you'd probably be matched up to a group instantly.

As far as I can tell the queuing system wants 1 GF, 1 DC and then any 3 of the other classes.

It maybe cuts the waittime in half, meaning it still can take up to an hour.

And yes, I ragequit. When the whole group just zergs the endboss, forgetting everything and everyone. Especially when I have my cleric on I expect the group to peel the mobs away from me. After two or three deaths while being completely ignored by everyone but the mobs, I quit. I'm not spending any injury kits or pots to keep folks alive who have no intention of keeping me alive.

The past weeks I've run T2 dungeons with guildmates and we're all with gearscores between 8.6 and 10.5. I have yet to finish any T2, we always wipe at the boss. Mobs don't go down fast enough and they just keep respawning. Wiping with 40+ mobs around does not give a sense of accomplishment, it gives a sense of WTF, this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is undoable.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Really? Even pirates? Pirates is like the cloak tower of T2s.
    Totally do that one first.
    edited August 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    Really? Even pirates? Pirates is like the cloak tower of T2s.
    Totally do that one first.

40+ mobs following the tank around after the CW gets instagibbed, yes. I know it's the easiest one, that's why it's so frustrating to wipe every time with groups that don't have 10k+ gearscores.

Of course, I could be terribad, same as all the guildmates I run with. Somehow I doubt that though.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I don't want to turn this into a general pirate strat thread, but the general approach I've always used is one or two melees on boss to the right, other melees + CWs on the left by the ship's mast. TRs need very very little maintenance (keep a seal on the boss and they should be golden, fire 'em a forgemasters if they forget to dodge at any point) so you can keep all your focus on what the CWs are doing. If you have one CW and multiple spare melees, then you shield the melee while they whale on all the controlled monsters, and if you have multiple CWs and no spare melees, just shield the CWs and kite a lot. I tend to jiggle around between the two groups so I can hit them both with hallowed ground. If your CW is getting instagibbed, then I'd be tempted to suggest they're doing something silly.
    edited August 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    I don't want to turn this into a general pirate strat thread

I'll take strategies from anything, so thanks.

We tried rogue on the boss and/or with SmokeBomb to help with the mobs, cleric in the middle sealing whatever gets hit, tank on boss and/or tank on adds, GWF all over the place herding the mobs for the mage or on the boss, debuffing it.
  • aizenhart1aizenhart1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited August 2013
    ok so ive noticed most people saying, crappy dungeons, really long queues, , and leaving party members. Its actually easy to say that because you havent reached level 60 yet. here a couple of tips so you can enjoy the game

1. Get your character to level 60 as fast as you can
    How: Questing of course, ignore Dungeon Delves Event and Ignore Skirmish Events, just go quest quest and quest until your 60. You can pvp for a while if your bored. Gives good EXP even if your team loses. AD MOST OF THE NORMAL GAME CONTENT CAN BE DONE IN SOLO you will have no trouble leveling without a group. When i started NW i got to 60 just in 4-5 days by questing.

2. Once your 60, you'll have enough AD/Astral Diamonds to buy yourself a 2/2 Set Piece (Either 2 T1 2/2 Set, or PvP and T1 2/2 Set better if its T2 2/2). If you dont have enough AD go for PvP or Gauntlegrym you dont need to be strong to enter it. Also use Rank 5 enhancements since their cheap and increases your Gear Score a lot. Consider Buying accessories too

3. Once you reach 10k+ Gear Score this is the point when you can actually say the start of a good game. Once the DUNGEON DELVES EVENT starts ADVERTISE YOURSELF ON ZONE CHAT DONT QUEUE OR IT WILL TAKE FOREVER. Since most people would rather find a group with 1 Control Wizard 1 Devoted Cleric 1 Guardian Fighter this classes are mostly mandatory. Trickster Rogue and Great Weapon Fighter are your choices for other members.( But TRs are preferable than GWFs).

NW isnt a crappy game its how you play it that makes it crappy. Of all the MMOs i played i can say this is the most balanced and easiest MMO with tons of build. if your lucky enough you dont need to spend real money to get those cool stuff on Zen Shop since theres a Zen Exchange.

Remember you can never achieve anything without PATIENCE
    edited August 2013
    aizenhart1 wrote: »
    1. Get your character to level 60 as fast as you can

2. Once your 60, you'll have enough AD/Astral Diamonds

3. Once you reach 10k+ Gear Score this is the point when you can actually say the start of a good game.

Erhm... if you don't do DD's, Foundries and PvP dailies, how do you get AD's pre-60? And post-60, selling T1 stuff and running dailies for a couple of months?
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    yerune wrote: »
    I'll take strategies from anything, so thanks.

We tried rogue on the boss and/or with SmokeBomb to help with the mobs, cleric in the middle sealing whatever gets hit, tank on boss and/or tank on adds, GWF all over the place herding the mobs for the mage or on the boss, debuffing it.
    Tank, CW, DC all go to the left near the ship mast. TR attacks boss.

DC stays a little back from the left group throwing heals, debuffs and AS down as required. CW should be specced to charge singularity as much as possible to keep heat off the DC.

The GF or GWF grabs any adds that aren't running towards the CW, GF should be spamming Villain's Menace and Enforced Threat/Knight's Valor and recharging his action points from the singularity mob cluster. IF the party needs faster AP gain, also spam Into the Fray. GWF does the same thing, but can also take down archers if the singularity doesn't pull them in.

TR does what TR's do. Lurkers, damage spam and ITC, rinse repeat. If the TR dies, the DC is reviver so the add pain train doesn't merge with the boss. if the GWF is add free, they can also do the job.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Erhm... if you don't do DD's, Foundries and PvP dailies, how do you get AD's pre-60? And post-60, selling T1 stuff and running dailies for a couple of months?

You can buy most T1 sets for the amount of AD you make in a week or 2 just from praying and leadership. If you stack 2 pairs of 2 set bonuses your gs will be 10.5k or better and then you can look for T2 groups in zone chat in PE. Really very simple.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
    edited August 2013

As i said if you dont have the AD go for the PvP set...you'll still gain Glory even if you lose..you can start out with full PvP set... And come on Most Epic T1 Accessories now cost like what? 5k i dont think there no one who really cant afford it. After your 60 you can still do dailies Foundry is an easier. T1 sets roughly sells for what? 11k come on thats way too easy to get compared on the older times. I know you have been through it too.
    edited August 2013
    aizenhart1 wrote: »
    As i said if you dont have the AD go for the PvP set...you'll still gain Glory even if you lose..you can start out with full PvP set... And come on Most Epic T1 Accessories now cost like what? 5k i dont think there no one who really cant afford it. After your 60 you can still do dailies Foundry is an easier. T1 sets roughly sells for what? 11k come on thats way too easy to get compared on the older times. I know you have been through it too.

Thanks, as well as to the others with their advice.

I've got my 5 classes in at least pvp gear, gearscore ranges between 8.5 and 10.5. Yes, T1 stuff is cheap, pvp gear is also relatively easy, I have no real problems getting that. My problem is finishing T2's with that gearscore.
  • cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Thanks, as well as to the others with their advice.

I've got my 5 classes in at least pvp gear, gearscore ranges between 8.5 and 10.5. Yes, T1 stuff is cheap, pvp gear is also relatively easy, I have no real problems getting that. My problem is finishing T2's with that gearscore.

with 5 classes you should be getting a boat load of AD from prayer/leadership and also thats 5 chances at a coa each week so you can start building the weapon enchant you want (or sell them for even more ad) If you can't complete a T2 with 10k GS then you probably have a terrible group. I would setup your group before in PE zone chat rather than queu for a dungeon.

Even if you we're the best player with the best gear you could still easily fail to finish a dungeon when you queue, you get bad team comps, horrible gear scores, and just worse players in general.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »

Even if you we're the best player with the best gear you could still easily fail to finish a dungeon when you queue, you get bad team comps, horrible gear scores, and just worse players in general.

So true..

Last night I ran Epic Cragmire during DD with my new 4th toon whos a CW, so just some training for me:)
    Obviously we cruise through to the boss but that's where the problems set in, the TR in the group didn't want to dps the boss or help the CW/DC he ran around attacking snipers only..

The GF was absolutely clueless and didn't tank a thing.. just rubbish

At one stage it was me & the DC left and we managed to chop 30-40% hp off the boss before biting the dust and every time we tried it was the same issue, the TR and GF were utter rubbish..the oher member was another CW who dropped after the 2nd attempt

Now the problem with this is not only were the players rubbish but they had higher gear scores than anyone else so obviously AH purchases rather than earnt..

Im not the best player in the world probably 6-7 outta 10 an on a good day 8 if im lucky but some people in the pugs are just awful..
    edited August 2013
    Heres another tip so you wont have a hard time finding party members

JOIN A GUILD OF YOUR NATIONALITY OR A DECENT ONE WHICH ARE DD ACTIVES.... We on our guild which has 20+ members online a day and 100+ members are 95% level 60 and are all end game content items (Full T2 set Rank 7,8,9 Enhancements and Greater Enchantments). Its just a matter of luck finding really good guilds. We all share knowledge on how to finish dungeons fast and have a good communication with each other since we have same nationality.
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And yes, I ragequit. When the whole group just zergs the endboss, forgetting everything and everyone.

This , same for me , I'm a CW and yes I can pretty much spam AS but that doesn't mean I don't need support to help control the adds while I use the 1 to 3 skills needed to rebuild my action points , it annoys me so much when the TR, GWF AND the GF all pile into the boss and seem to think the adds will just magically disappear , cmon GF's , the TR and GWF have got the boss , you need to help us with the adds ffs ....
    edited August 2013
    with 5 classes you should be getting a boat load of AD from prayer/leadership and also thats 5 chances at a coa each week so you can start building the weapon enchant you want (or sell them for even more ad) If you can't complete a T2 with 10k GS then you probably have a terrible group. I would setup your group before in PE zone chat rather than queu for a dungeon.

Max is nearly 2000 AD per character on praying alone, if I log in three times a day (1000, 600ish, 300ish). In three weeks I had one Coalescent drop, the rest had 1 or 2 wards. Professions on a good day (with the rares) can give up to 3k a day on the characters with high enough leadership and with the proper assets available. I average on about 10k AD's per day in total but I'm sure if I spend more time on professions I could increase that a bit.

Still, most T2 sets cost about 2 million, and then there's the jewelry and underwear, another easy million.

Agreed.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Dungeon queues are always long if you play a TR/GWF/CW. It's pretty short with a GF or a DC.

I noticed the dungeon failure rates are increased when i don't queue with a char filling a critical role, such as CW or DC. My experience with my newly lvl 60 GF is dreadful. CWs not doing control (I don't even know what they had in their encounter bar since they barely used anything but magic missile), DCs not healing or complaining about the tank not getting aggro while they were using the mega DC aggro spell pulling the whole dungeon towards the cleric (healing word), and often 2 GWFs or more in parties, and this is really horrible. Because most of them are tank speced, don't really tank and have a dps close to zero.

So, the solution is easy: don't let others fill critical roles, do it yourself.
  • aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Why not merge servers then to get that que time down to a reasonable time frame at least 15-30min max for higher lvl dungeons.

Come on with 2 million players it shoudnt take that long to que for a dungeon at lvl 60.

What have the devs said about this que system and getting the wait times down also.

Not enough GF or Clerics quing for the pug.. Like others have stated, most lvl 60 groups are formed in PE zone chat.
    Also, that 2mil players is a very off number. 2 mil accounts sure. I know people with numerous accounts because they are free and many folks won't pay for extra char slots.
    Out of curiosity, I checked something that I feel gives a better feel of the "true account" numbers. Wow has around 8mil subscribers. On facebook, they have 5 million likes. Lets just say they had 5 million likes when they had 10 mil subscribers. So a double their facebook likes, you have their subscriber base. Again, this isn't a hard number just my theory. Neverwinter on the other hand is supposed to have 2 million.. Their facebook page has 160'000 likes. Let's out of fairness triple that number since maybe the fans just don't like their facebook.. That would still put subscribers under 500'000. Not to mention probably 1/2 or more of those 2 million have already left the game.
    The guild I am in has lost hundreds of players over the last month or so..
  • nethermonkeynethermonkey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 13
    edited August 2013
    The ques have not been the problem for me. I constantly get in but there's something broken. The problem for example when I que for CN. I get ported into a group with less than 5 constantly. So I don't think it's because people don't want to try pugs. It's because we can't! Like one night i tried to get into CN many times. Each time 1-3 people would zone in with me. Ok so re que now 2 different people with me. They are all different people so it's not because there are not enough players. Please fix this because yes I can run with my guild but the feature is there so it should work.
    edited August 2013
    The ques have not been the problem for me. I constantly get in but there's something broken. The problem for example when I que for CN. I get ported into a group with less than 5 constantly. So I don't think it's because people don't want to try pugs. It's because we can't! Like one night i tried to get into CN many times. Each time 1-3 people would zone in with me. Ok so re que now 2 different people with me. They are all different people so it's not because there are not enough players. Please fix this because yes I can run with my guild but the feature is there so it should work.

Yep that's because of the silly "ring farms". People exploit to get to the first boss, kill the boss, leave the instance, but people using the queue can get in to fill the missing people.
    edited August 2013
    aaronjf wrote: »
    Not enough GF or Clerics quing for the pug.. Like others have stated, most lvl 60 groups are formed in PE zone chat.
    Also, that 2mil players is a very off number. 2 mil accounts sure. I know people with numerous accounts because they are free and many folks won't pay for extra char slots.
    Out of curiosity, I checked something that I feel gives a better feel of the "true account" numbers. Wow has around 8mil subscribers. On facebook, they have 5 million likes. Lets just say they had 5 million likes when they had 10 mil subscribers. So a double their facebook likes, you have their subscriber base. Again, this isn't a hard number just my theory. Neverwinter on the other hand is supposed to have 2 million.. Their facebook page has 160'000 likes. Let's out of fairness triple that number since maybe the fans just don't like their facebook.. That would still put subscribers under 500'000. Not to mention probably 1/2 or more of those 2 million have already left the game.
    The guild I am in has lost hundreds of players over the last month or so..

A rought estimate i made was around 200K active players. I could give the details but the last time i did it, my post has been censored. :)
  • griffin230griffin230 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited August 2013
    So true..

Last night I ran Epic Cragmire during DD with my new 4th toon whos a CW, so just some training for me:)
    Obviously we cruise through to the boss but that's where the problems set in, the TR in the group didn't want to dps the boss or help the CW/DC he ran around attacking snipers only..

The GF was absolutely clueless and didn't tank a thing.. just rubbish

At one stage it was me & the DC left and we managed to chop 30-40% hp off the boss before biting the dust and every time we tried it was the same issue, the TR and GF were utter rubbish..the oher member was another CW who dropped after the 2nd attempt

Now the problem with this is not only were the players rubbish but they had higher gear scores than anyone else so obviously AH purchases rather than earnt..

Im not the best player in the world probably 6-7 outta 10 an on a good day 8 if im lucky but some people in the pugs are just awful..

Recently I've noticed a lot of new GFs with high gs that don't seem to bother grabbing adds aggro off the CW and DCs, even when you ask them to. They only try to tank the boss and let the CW and DCs get mauled by the adds. You would have thought that, at level 60, they would have gotten it by now, but they seem really clueless. Some GWFs that can help with adds, but don't, aren't much better either.
  • lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Joining a guild is BS. I been in 4 so far and they all have left the freaken game. I bet out of those 150 - 200 people cryptic still says they are some of the 2 million players.

What this game needs is to be shutdown like FF14 and rebuilt then launched properly. Or at least it needs 2 more years of patches and expansions. By that time thou there will be much more on the MMO market and this game will trail off just like Champions. Which its already started down the path of slow death MMO status.