test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thoughts about professions packs...

krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Let's start with a statement: "Professions booster packs are a ripoff"...

First, let's talk about the prices... 1600 Zen for a few chances to get some epic/rare "items" from boxes when for the equivalent number of ADs, you can guarantee getting 2 blue tools from the AH.

Second, who cares about getting "people" when you are after "assets". They should differentiate the two in boxes so that you know what you are getting. At least they differentiate between resources and assets...

Third, the probably is so low to get epic tools (see 2), AND you have to divide that probability by the number of professions (6)... If you are after leatherworking tools, who care about tailoring tools, etc... Same thing when you hope to get people...

Finally, in "Professions Special Packs", what is an "item"? Is it resource, asset or person? They should have special boxes for each

Bottom line is, you should never buy any professions package at all, either from the Zen Store, or AH.

It is due time to have a "Special" for truly getting some epic/rare tools FOR SPECIFIC PROFESSIONS...

My 2 cents.
Post edited by krisst0f on

Comments

• Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    my problem is that they aren't "boosters".
    "booster" implies you are buying something that you could otherwise get via some other, slower, method.
    this isn't the case. there is no other way to get the green people you need to advance in crafting.
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    People ARE assets. :D
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    walk2k wrote: »
    "booster" implies you are buying something that you could otherwise get via some other, slower, method.
    this isn't the case. there is no other way to get the green people you need to advance in crafting.

Next time I got to purchase a Magic the Gathering Booster Pack I will ask how I can gain them via some other, slower, method so I dont have to pay all the time.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    walk2k wrote: »

I take it you never played trading card games. Booster packs there do not give you something you could get from slower methods.
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    krisst0f wrote: »

Finally, in "Professions Special Packs", what is an "item"? Is it resource, asset or person?

One of the many annoyances in this game is the developers extremely vague tooltip descriptions , everything from skill effect descriptions to feats effects and everything in between seems to suffer from incredibly vague tooltip descriptions lol
  • Options
    k4pnkrunchk4pnkrunch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I pulled a Lillend out of a booster pack today. I can trade that for pretty much any asset there is. Also, got a Steel Billows I sold for 170k and promptly bought some swivel knives. It's a gamble. Sometimes you get <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, sometimes you get lucky. If you don't want to gamble then buy the assets outright on the AH. PWE is a business, businesses are there to make money. With the gamble boxes more people lose than win, without that risk the reward would be nothing. People need to stop being so negative about these boxes and either get it or forget it.
    Harlequinn - Lvl 60 Trickster Rogue
    [EX]Officer - Order of the Raven
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The 1600 Zen Profession Asset Pack gives you, IIRC, 5 assets of varying rarities.

The 300 Zen Booster gives you 1 asset, possibly a 2nd, and the rest are resources, (items consumed as part of a profession pack).

They question is which is a better deal. Also keep in mind that an "asset" is any profession item that is not consumed as part of a task, so you could get a person or you could get a tool.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    proteusknightproteusknight Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My two cents:

The "Professions Pack" should give you items specific to the Profession you were on when you bought it or your highest level profession. I have purchase some profession packs, RIPOFF, no boost to the Profession that I needed and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> items you do not need. Yes I got an Adventurer finally after 8 packs, I kept hoping I was wrong and but I was not. It is a lottery system PURE & SIMPLE and you get NOTHING, unless you are really lucky, you need for the profession you need! You are better off buying from the Auction House!

I will no longer purchase so called Professions "Booster" Packs!
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have purchase some profession packs, RIPOFF

I wouldn't call them a ripoff , they are purely a gamble , if you had dropped one of the rare companions from one you wouldn't consider them a ripoff then would you? When you purchase such items you are taking a calculated risk , maybe you could be super lucky and drop the companion , maybe you could get purple or blue assets or maybe you could get unlucky and drop trash , pure chance therefore a gamble.
  • Options
    krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »

That's my point... There is a tiny probability to get what you need with these boxes because you can get assets (people, tools) in 6 prefessions...

The already very small probably to get an epic is divided by 6_professionsx3_tools for each...

So it the probably is (I make it up) 9% to get a tool you need, it is in fact 1%.

Yes you can sell them and buy another one in the AH... but it is usually easier just to go for the AD buy in the first place without bothering to buy a box that's gonna be 50-100% more expensive in Zen compared to using the Zen Exchange.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    My two cents:

The "Professions Pack" should give you items specific to the Profession you were on when you bought it or your highest level profession. I have purchase some profession packs, RIPOFF, no boost to the Profession that I needed and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> items you do not need. Yes I got an Adventurer finally after 8 packs, I kept hoping I was wrong and but I was not. It is a lottery system PURE & SIMPLE and you get NOTHING, unless you are really lucky, you need for the profession you need! You are better off buying from the Auction House!

I will no longer purchase so called Professions "Booster" Packs!

Assuming the tiny probability to get what you need is divided by 10 (see post just above), it means the Zen price for these boxes should be 10% of what they sell for in the Zen store... My point exactly: just go buy it directly in the AH and let newbies get ripped off spending zen...
  • Options
    darklock101darklock101 Member Posts: 52
    edited August 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »

True dat. The slave trade is alive and well in Neverwinter. I send those mercs, tailors, etc. off to do work for me and never pay them a single copper. Not only that, I can also buy and sell them at auction.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I think they need to come up with boxes that are better targeted to specific professions, and with specific loot (people, asset, resources).

Then, we'll see more going towards buying them for zen.
  • Options
    veruganverugan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 100
    edited August 2013
    Sounds like somebody maxed a profession and doesn't have the epic tool for it =P
  • Options
    strykurrstrykurr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    k4pnkrunch wrote: »
    I pulled a Lillend out of a booster pack today. I can trade that for pretty much any asset there is. Also, got a Steel Billows I sold for 170k and promptly bought some swivel knives. It's a gamble. Sometimes you get <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, sometimes you get lucky. If you don't want to gamble then buy the assets outright on the AH. PWE is a business, businesses are there to make money. With the gamble boxes more people lose than win, without that risk the reward would be nothing. People need to stop being so negative about these boxes and either get it or forget it.

You are one of the very rare few who got Lillend. I know multiple people who spent a lot of real money to get it and never have. After 40 or more boxes they finally gave up. The odds are against you for getting anything worth much. It is turning out to be the most expensive game I have ever played if you want to do much. I personally watched how the many are losing so much $$ for junk from the boxes which suggest you will get something worth while. For $16 For a box I should be able to get the Lillend they advertise, etc. This gambling with extremely high odds against you is a crappy deal.
  • Options
    k4pnkrunchk4pnkrunch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Strykurr, I have always had a bit of extra luck it seems, but honestly (and not to get too existential here) I think a lot of it has to do with a positive outlook. I have probably received just as much <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> from those boxes as everyone else, but I keep trying with hope that I'll get it. Some might call me a sheep for falling into the business model, but the truth is I make the choice to gamble, knowing the odds and accepting whatever I get. People HATE on me in game for pulling that Lillend, but those are also the people who either gave up or made the choice that it wasn't worth it. It's really that simple.
    Harlequinn - Lvl 60 Trickster Rogue
    [EX]Officer - Order of the Raven
  • Options
    thylorethylore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 6
    edited September 2013
    krisst0f wrote: »
    I think they need to come up with boxes that are better targeted to specific professions, and with specific loot (people, asset, resources).

Then, we'll see more going towards buying them for zen.
    I agree I would love to see it ask me what profession am I targeting when I open it then the rewards can be geared toward that profession.