test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

size of the foundry world - max dimensions...

artgodartgod Member Posts: 90
edited August 2013 in The Foundry
Playing around with some of the 1000x1000 water planes...

It seems that ceiling and floor max is 500, -500.

It seems that max width and depth of the 'world' is 2000x2000, or roughly 2x2 water planes or 4 in a square...

If you create indoor maps, you CAN walk 'outside' on the water planes, invisible planes, etc. The troll bridge does hold you as long as it's right side up... upside down and it'll need an invisible plane under it to support your weight. The bridge when turned sideways does make a huge wall that is roughly the height of the big crypt rooms, so you can use invisible walls with that to make some stone walls, etc.

If you use water planes on -500 expect to die every time you 'play' in the foundry since you'll instantly fall to the floor...

Water planes on their side look like odd looking curtains with long vertical lines that move a little... vs what they look like right side up... upside down they are 'invisible' since the planes are only one sided... to fix that you can duplicate them and rotate to get both sides of a wall in the same spot.

I've created a 'cage' that I'm probably going to make a maze in on the inner plane of water as my next quest. It's been fun learning the limitations of what you can and cannot do with doing this experimenting.
Post edited by artgod on

Comments

• Options
    hybridx04hybridx04 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Small addendum: I've placed things at y=1024 on a Large flat outdoor map. (Admittedly if my ceiling max was 500, I'd cry because my floating island map would be impossible.)

On inside maps, AFAIK there's a death plane that is somewhere between -30 and -80 (vague but I never measured it) thought that -might- be attached to the cave rooms.
  • Options
    rogu3ishrogu3ish Member Posts: 84
    edited August 2013
    I read another post by someone here before (sorry, can't remember who) that said the death plane for caves is -81. I use a cave room for drop timers, and so long as they're simple they work relatively well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Felling the Forgemaster: NW-DOHCJ5VE3 (Elligible for Foundry Daily)
    Fleshrend's Big Adventure: NW-DBWJJYFDK
    (Elligible for Foundry Daily)
  • Options
    crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2013
    hybridx04 wrote: »
    Small addendum: I've placed things at y=1024 on a Large flat outdoor map. (Admittedly if my ceiling max was 500, I'd cry because my floating island map would be impossible.)

Most outdoor maps have a sky that goes to 1024ft, but there are some maps with a lowered ceiling due to performance reasons.

If you're trying to make floating islands and whatnot, it would probably be better to just have a big open map that has some low-resolution landmass and clouds below, rather than using a full-resolution map and having your quest take place in the sky above it. I'll add that to my list of stuff to add soon.
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ooooooh, if you are thinking up things to add for us, can we have a "death plane" that we can vary the height of so we can, for example, have Lava fields that kill if you enter them at all, rather than having to fall a long way in to them?

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ooooooh, if you are thinking up things to add for us, can we have a "death plane" that we can vary the height of so we can, for example, have Lava fields that kill if you enter them at all, rather than having to fall a long way in to them?

All The Best

This. If this was provided (perhaps with a floor on an outdoor map that looks to be a lot lower than it actually is), we wouldn't have that much need for 1024ft high maps.

..well, aside for those who wish to build skyscrapers, of course.
  • Options
    hybridx04hybridx04 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ironically, not having a death plane gave me nice ideas for what to do with my floating map XD but it would be very nice.

Yeah, I'm running the 2000x2000 blank Outdoor map for my floating map, so I'm not having any problems with that. A -completely- blank outdoor map would be nice, so some of us could build our own terrain (since I can see how including a terrain creator/editor would be well beyond the scope of what is implemented)

Wait, I am having -one- small problem.... the Outdoor maps have a unplayable 'edge' to put decorations, but my Depthfade Black 05s will not render when placed on that border (giving my map a weird green square ring in the horizon without resorting to using a Light Fog or heavier (very light will not cover it). Any info on this? =D?

Edit: Or will I just have to wait until Feywild? XDD

Edit #2: Sorry for hijacking your thread some. Seems best to not create a new thread at this point, though =D
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    saerrael wrote: »
    This. If this was provided (perhaps with a floor on an outdoor map that looks to be a lot lower than it actually is), we wouldn't have that much need for 1024ft high maps.

..well, aside for those who wish to build skyscrapers, of course.

What would be even better would be "death plane" planes of variable size like the water planes, so we can really be inventive with them.

Then add scaleable "damage planes" of varying sizes as well so we can actually make the fire effects cause damage, and we could really get to work on creatively designed maps that offer multi-dimensional challenges to the players.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What would be even better would be "death plane" planes of variable size like the water planes, so we can really be inventive with them.

Then add scaleable "damage planes" of varying sizes as well so we can actually make the fire effects cause damage, and we could really get to work on creatively designed maps that offer multi-dimensional challenges to the players.

All The Best

Most definitely, yes. Which would lead to the question what a deathplane requires, in terms of coding. Would it be possible to create planes like this at all? It does 'feel' it should be doable.
  • Options
    celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited August 2013
    We had asked for a death plane in beta, and it was explained that this created a great number of possibilities for griefing, and exploit maps. I too would love to have something like this, but I also understand the concerns.

I think that in most cases the community would respond to griefing, and exploits with reports, but that still leaves it to someone in cryptic to then remove those quests, and deal with the player that created them and such. It becomes a larger issue then simply a technical implementation I think.

I am just talking from a certain set of assumptions, but I thought I would throw those out to the community, with the knowledge that this was discussed before and what was said.