test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GF ability score advice

d20masterd20master Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Hey, all.

I've gone through the GF portion of the master list of guides thread. I was wondering if there were any viable alternate routes for stat building either dex/con or dex/str focusing rather than str/con for PvE given the game's current state and possibly forthcoming changes?

Thanks.
Post edited by d20master on

Comments

• mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Do you have a goal in mind? Tanking or dealing damage?

Str and Con are the best for tanking. Con adds to your max health while Str adds to your shield gauge, both of which are very important for keeping yourself alive.

Str and Dex are best for dealing damage, since Str adds damage while Dex penetrates defenses. You sacrifice durability for damage.

Dex and Con is probably the weakest of the three. You has less Str, meaning you have less shield gauge and less raw damage.

TL;DR: Con may be a GF's main stat, but Str ends up being his/her more important stat.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I recommend going STR+CON for base ability scores since that gives you the most flexibility for both tanking, damage and pvp.

CON also gives a lot more in effective stats than the other stats (make a test toon, press "C" key and look at the tooltip as you hover over CON). HP is very important in a game with much burst incoming damage and weak healing (especially burst healing) and AP is very useful for many reasons.

While levelling, you can ofc, put as many points as you like, including max points into DEX, which will help enormously with damage in both pve and pvp while questing. Then you can respec at 60 out of DEX and into CON.

Focussing on DEX for base abilities will come back to bite you unless you are making your GF solely or mainly for pvp.
  • d20masterd20master Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Appreciate the replies.

I was thinking more along the lines of tanking but is the damage dealing path that of an off-tank or a straight TR/CW/GWF type?
  • chipsterchipster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    d20master wrote: »
    Appreciate the replies.

I was thinking more along the lines of tanking but is the damage dealing path that of an off-tank or a straight TR/CW/GWF type?

It would be better for you to play TR/CW/GWF for burst damage.