test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tanking Advice (How to?)

bkloesbkloes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Militia Barracks
So I have never played a tanking character but I know how it works on other games. This game does not seem to have a spam this skill for aggro and thus tanking seems more of a generalization....can you hold aggro?....I often actually play a healer so I am used to the general complaints. I am only L44 and haven't have complaints until tonight....and I should have known better cause they seemed like obnoxious kids.....XXXX this and that (you get the idea)

What I do and I have not been in a dungeon where I was not receiving the most damage....I try to use my mark skill on any boss type enemy.....I also try to use the AoE skill (Something Threat) as often as I can. I read someone talking about using knights challenge and the valor skill that takes on damage which sounds great....Curious if anyone else does all that....Or do you just try to mark boss and AoE spam for mobs. I need to join a guild so I stop relying on Que for squads.
Post edited by bkloes on

Comments

• mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Aggro is generated by damage, healing, and attacking targets marked by you. Another word for this is "Threat".

Enforced Threat is one of your best aggro skills. When tanking, it's an absolute must in most situations. It generates a large amount of threat to 5 nearby enemies with every cast. For me, the skill guarantees that they will switch targets to me.

As for other abilities, Knight's Valor is also good for tanking. It gives a party-wide buff to everyone you have a direct line of sight with. While the buff is active on allies, you take 50% of the damage they would have taken as well as have a higher chance of aggroing them.
    Ex: Ally is hit with 100 damage. They have 20% damage reduction, reducing it to 80 damage. They take half of that at 40 damage. You are then hit with 40 damage, which is further reduced by your 30% damage reduction turning it into 28 damage. Grand total of 40 damage to your ally and 28 damage to you. The enemy then has a higher chance to switch targets to you, even more so if you damage them.

Knight's Valor can also be combined with Supremacy of Steel. It's a daily that summons two golden swords that circle around you. When you take damage, you'll shoot a golden sword at the enemy who caused the damage(amount of swords you're able to fire is infinite). This is nice because not only is the damage decent, but it will also shoot swords at enemies who damaged your allies as long as you have Knight's Valor up. The threat built from dealing damage to them and stealing damage that your allies would have taken is very effective in turning mobs towards you.

Knight's Challenge isn't really all that good for tanking. You basically pick one enemy with it. They will only deal 50% damage to allies, for the duration, but both you and your target will deal 200% damage to eachother.
  • bkloesbkloes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Thank you for explaining how Enforced Threat, Knights Valor, and Supremacy of steel work....I consider myself a gamer but I don't feel some of the game descriptions are very clear....Maybe getting old:) Now at 44 in many of these dungeons I feel like I am barely surviving myself.....Spend alot of time getting bounced around by red circles, popping potions....Especially after using Threat a few times.

My build is a Tiefling, Con/Str main stats.....Been building towards the top pathway (DPS). What gear stats will help me be more tanky? I use armor penetration for PvP but keep the highest defense pieces I can find for dungeons. Again the reason for my post is last night I was told....your the tank you need to have aggro and if this game truly does have clear jobs I would like to know how to do mine the best I can. I really wasn't under the impression this game was clear cut in this manor....I felt it was more, yeah my job is to be out in front and aggro as much as possible but for example a TR attacking boss only is going to get aggro. It reminds me a lot of PWI....sins would go all out on boss and then complain...why did I die!!??? The answer learn to control your own aggro. Anyone who played that game will know what I mean:)
  • jeepinjeepin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There are some really good guides on tanking in these forums. I'm using Rokuthy's Hybrid Tanking Build and it works for my play style. PvP and PvE. I disagree with their gear choice, but that's personal preference. I prefer mixing set bonus' vs 1 4 piece set bonus. Again, personal preference. At this point, don't focus so much on gear. It's really irrelevent. Focus on leveling. Gear will come at 60. Everything you get at this point, you will out level quickly. But if you look at some of the guides at http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?182621-Sticky-gt-Master-List-of-Class-Builds-lt it will help you a TON!!

Good luck and welcome to the club!
  • petpet2petpet2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    in Spider Queen, how do u make the blademasters charge to you (as a GF)?

i have marked them from far, and enchanced mark passive on, and DPSing the boss. yet they prefer to charge the CW.

any ideas?
  • feiergiantfeiergiant Member Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    petpet2 wrote: »

i have marked them from far, and enchanced mark passive on, and DPSing the boss. yet they prefer to charge the CW.

any ideas?

if you use knockback on blademasters, they will charge you. so your CW might be doing this mistake of pushing them after/during singularity to gain AP or for whatever YOLO-reason.

try to spam enforced threat and your threatening rush at-will as much as you can, especially after a singularity to ensure the blademasters jumping you.

another thing is to use frontline surge, to knock them down yourself to guarantee they jump you :)
  • chidy1776chidy1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Op tanking in this game is a little more involved than most because we have to know what and when to block and make sure were holding threat on multiple targets. First part is using enforced threat, this and or threatening rush combined with the passive enhanced mark will go a long way toward keeping threat, outside of those abilities cleave will be most of your threat generation. Knights valor can help but unless youre a really turtle tank it will probably just get you killed. I would try using the abillities i stated above and constantly cleaving different targets. Outside of that its really just practice, but i can tell you enhanced mark will help a ton. With this passive you can often get aggro just by marking an enemy, and it will build even more than normal threat if u hit them while marked. Hope this helps, if youre on mindflayer you could whisper me ingame for more info as im typing this on mu phone. Private message me on here and ill give you my info.
    Paul 60 guardian fighter on mindflayer.

Rising Star, fun friendly, community focused guild on mindflayer. We strive to help each other and enjoy the game together. Talk to me for info, or feel free to check and join our community at risingstarneverwinter.enjin.com
  • healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

any ideas?

Positioning & timing.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited July 2013

any ideas?

What I started doing was timing my Knight's Valor and Enforced Threat.

Basically, keep an eye out for when they spawn, since they all usually spawn at once. When you see then prepare to lunge at an ally, activate Knight's Valor. Wait for all the Blademasters to hit one of your allies, then use Enforced Threat and hack away at them with Cleave.

The thing is it's hard to aggro the Blademasters before they can jump after an ally. It's better to just half the damage they do to an ally instead of working really hard to mark all of the Blademasters as they spawn. Knight's Valor builds threat on you every single time you absorb half an attack, which makes it even easier for Enforced Threat to make them charge targets to you. It's also good to have Fighter's Recovery in this fight. It allows you to heal up very fast as well as build even more threat off of the healing you do.

As long as you can keep enough threat up, then most everything HAS to turn its attention to you.
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited July 2013

any ideas?

Threatening Rush/Lunging Strike to rush around and tag them all, or knock them down. It gathers them all up rather nicely. :)
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• crowdpleasingcrowdpleasing Member Posts: 30
    edited July 2013
    Everyone forgets to mention that the stab over your shield is a huge threat generator and basically a taunt. If they're already marked you stab them a couple of times and they will switch to you. If they're not marked just use Threatening Rush and cancel recovery frames of the move to Block then stab which is also an AOE like cleave.
  • cyberdoxcyberdox Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Not sure how viable this would be for you, but you can try this (I'm currently lvl60 using Timeless Hero set focusing on power defence and Armor pen in my Ioun stone (its crp for pvp, but the power on the stone is not doubled.)

On your passives have enhanced mark and combat superioty (level 1 and the feet that alows you to start it)
    Your At wills will be Cleve and Threatening Rush (TR
    Your encounters will be:
    Encountering treat (ET)
    Knights Valor (KV)
    Frount line surge (FLS)
    Knights Valor (KV) (use Into the fray (ITF) if you die to much (both used to fill Daily, but KV is better imo)
    And dailies will be villance menace (VM) and fighter recovery(FR).

For each group of adds, you will want to start off with TR to mark the first set of meleers
    Run past the first few while using KV (or ITF), this will build up your daily and help reduce archers damage
    Then use ET to ensure Meelers agro, and to hit some ranged.
    Then TR to a ranger on one side of the group, then flank them with FLS.

At this point you should of been able to hit everything and hopefully maintained agro (its all takes about 5seconds) and have fille all/most of your daily bar.

From here you want to keep the meleers at the rangers so the CW AOE can hit everything. Then just proceed to keep marks with TR and attacking with cleve, then using ET and FLS on cool down (use KV when daily bar is low to gain alot of daily (around 20% per party member).

As for the use of dailys, if you have a poor cleric, then use FR when need and ignor VM.
    FR is best used when both FLS and ET are off cooldown so you can activate all in one go, resulting in a 80% lifesteel followed by two high damage attacks (this has taken me from about 5% hp to full hp, but intill you start getting double power the damage delt might not be significant enough to fully heal, but still use it).
    And if you have a good Cleric, then using VM between the TR and ET and this will lead to pretty much everything instantly focusing you (VM has no hit limit, unlike most attacks which have a limit of 5), and then the ET and FLS will be 20% more damaging).

The thing you need to remeber is that you are not the only defence in the party, the cleric is responsible for keeping you alive so you can keep the rest alive, and the CW are ment to assist you in controlling (arcane singularity helps alot (their black hole daily) and they are ment to help keep agro of the cleric (clerics heals on themself do 40% less healing). And the GWF has tones of defence during unstopable, so you dont need to worry too much about gaining agro off them, and a TR is single target so the only reason he will have more than 1 thing attaking them is cos henran ahead and agroed everything befor you slow legs can >.<")

Other notes:
    The TR usaly solos the boss in epic dungeons (not all though, but most), so if they complain that they cant sureove these, the complain that they are sht at doing thier own job
    Your goal should be taking twice as much damage as the second person (or 3rd if you had a idiot TR or decent GWF)
    And last note, once you have enough power then you can forgo enhanced mark as your damage output will be high enough to maintain agro without marks.

P.S if everyone knows what they are doing, a good party set up for farming Carstel never is 2DC, 2CW and a GF, did that couple nights ago with guildies, one CW was mostly controll, the other was 1/2 control/dps, and with the group we where able to clear out two rooms at a time instead of the general drag adds out and clear 1/2 a room at a time... Must say, was epic fun and a major lag feast ^.^
    And even with the 20+ adds i was maintaining agro though use of the rotaion above as my daily bar filled quicker than my encounters where comming off cool downs ^.^ which ment i could use VM and hit everything consistanly.

And wow, didn't realise i wrote such a big wall of text... Hopefully its not as bad on s computer than on my phone, so sry, and thx if you read it all, message me if you want any more help or advice