test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The word "steal" for wizard's power name is controversial

ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
Greetings. The power I'm talking about is Steal Time.

This is a D&D role playing game, and I'm playing a lawful-good wizard. Because of his alignment, he is unwilling to steal.

I wouldn't care if the word were used for rogue's power name because rogues are more or less stealth. But it becomes controversial when the word is used for wizard's power name.

The association between alignment and role playing is core in D&D games. For players who value and are really into role playing, may we have the above mentioned power name changed into "Collect Time" or something even less controversial?
Post edited by ianthewizard2012 on

Comments

• Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    One sec, while I respec to be able to better facepalm.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    One sec, while I respec to be able to better facepalm.
    You don't really understand the core spirit of role playing, do you? Otherwise you wouldn't have problems understanding a lawful-good character being unwilling to steal.
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Good thing they omitted the alignments from the game then.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    You don't really understand the core spirit of role playing, do you? Otherwise you wouldn't have problems understanding a lawful-good character being unwilling to steal.

No, I don't. The concept is far too complex for me, and I certainly never played PnP AD+D.

Still, /facepalm.

Oh, and nice RP name.. shades of:

"Some call me... Tim!"
  • Options
    desjardiniidesjardinii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Greetings. The power I'm talking about is Steal Time.

This is a D&D role playing game, and I'm playing a lawful-good wizard. Because of his alignment, he is unwilling to steal.

I wouldn't care if the word were used for rogue's power name because rogues are more or less stealth. But it becomes controversial when the word is used for wizard's power name.

The association between alignment and role playing is core in D&D games. For players who value and are really into role playing, may we have the above mentioned power name changed into "Collect Time" or something even less controversial?

Since roleplaying is important to you, then just refuse to use the skill. Nothing is forcing you to use it. Maybe on the other side of the coin there is some evil wizard relishing at the fact that he can "steal" time. You made the choice to play a lawful good character, now live with the consequences of your actions and realize there is a spell that goes against your "beliefs".

There are more pressing issues in the game that need to be addressed than a name change to fit your roleplaying wants.
  • Options
    riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Because "Borrowing" Time from enemies before you kill them is so much more moral??
    I suppose you don't pick up loot after you kill enemies either? And you leave chests and skill nodes alone?
    Yeah?
    Words speak louder than actions for your Paladin?
    Really?
  • Options
    balthezar2balthezar2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Do you even KILL your enemies, or just ask them to leave so you can win?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Since roleplaying is important to you, then just refuse to use the skill. Nothing is forcing you to use it. Maybe on the other side of the coin there is some evil wizard relishing at the fact that he can "steal" time. You made the choice to play a lawful good character, now live with the consequences of your actions and realize there is a spell that goes against your "beliefs".
    Yeah. That's a choice, but is also unfair. Why does a specific alignment get one more power.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    riqita wrote: »
    Because "Borrowing" Time from enemies before you kill them is so much more moral??
    I suppose you don't pick up loot after you kill enemies either? And you leave chests and skill nodes alone?
    Yeah?
    Words speak louder than actions for your Paladin?
    Really?
    Well, loot is a feature in D&D games. If it were inappropriate, it surely wouldn't be included in D&D games.

It's highly possible that enemies got those treasure illegally, so it's okay that we get it and use it on the right things.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    balthezar2 wrote: »
    Do you even KILL your enemies, or just ask them to leave so you can win?
    That shouldn't be regarded as meaningless kill. Instead, that's called defeating and eliminating criminals and evils.
  • Options
    chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Oh, crumble-cookies! And here I was thinking my team did good by 'Cheating Death' in that one dungeon this morning. Darnit! Now we have to die in the next one to make up for it, or risk pain of re-alignment!

You've got it wrong. If said Lawful Good Wiz had issue with a power by that name (for some strange reason that no Wizard could ever fathom, because Wizards are generally too high on intelligence for such silliness,) he wouldn't complain about the name. Or he might, but the scroll he likely learned the spell from would certainly not rewrite itself on his behalf... No, what he would do is fill the slot with a different spell.

Now maybe you can come to better terms with it if you consider that he is stealing time from core of the universe. Its kind of like cheating death.. Victimless crime? No crime. You are taking time from infinite pool and adding it to your own.

Now.. I'm off.. Being chaotic neutral and all.. I'm gonna 'Sneak a Peek' at the next forum article.

=P
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The problem is not the name of the spell, but the people who make up a character concept with self-imposed restrictions, then fail to accept the actual consequences of those choices, rendering their character concept moot and pointless.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    The problem is not the name of the spell, but the people who make up a character concept with self-imposed restrictions, then fail to accept the actual consequences of those choices, rendering their character concept moot and pointless.
    Or maybe the problem is that a wicked power was introduced and there was no virtuous contrary being introduced.

I understand that they don't want to introduce two similar powers. But at least make the introduced one less controversial, otherwise it's unfair.
  • Options
    brataccasbrataccas Member Posts: 57
    edited July 2013
    Here's a roleplay solution for you - said spell was discovered/created by evil wizards whom you (or your master) defeated - on gaining the knowledge of this power you've turned it against those who created it and now use it to bring punishment to the wicked and order to chaos. :)
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Are there any other powers you want changed to suit your personal whims?
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Member Posts: 6,694 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well people, there is roleplay and there is "roleplay".
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This thread has got to be a troll.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    abramerlinabramerlin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    eermmm why not look at it in the light of each Alignment group has developed its magic from differing actions and energies, but they have a similar effect, though differing names. The Game has just chosen 1 particular name to reduce confusion. So if you want to call it "Tempos Figit" or "Distort Time" for your characters POV go for it.

as for "Killing" the various Mobs in-game why not view it as Subduing the sentient creatures (knocking unconscious) and loot is bounties granted by Neverwinter Guards and it is "sped up" so that things are not complicated too much ;)
    untitled.png?t=1370827869