Options

Scribes Enclave: For Authors and Reviewers

2»

Comments

• Options
    karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    lolsorhand wrote: »
    I could post it though, no worries :) - It's a great thread.

I suppose that makes up for the abusive things you have planned for Burkhard ::snootyface::

Seriously though, that's very kind.
  • Options
    zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just wanted to share this post from our site, as there seems to be some confusion about it. My apologies for not being more clear sooner.
    Members and Reviewers: The Differences

We have two statuses for our members, basic members and registered volunteer reviewers. There is very little difference between the two. Any member can have their status changed at any time by simply sending a GuildLaunch mail to the Site Manager, Zeirlynn.

Members' Privileges
    1. Create their own author biography in our Scribes' Directory forum.
    2. Request reviews for their quests in our Review Requests forum.
    3. Review and give feedback for other members' quests, following the Scribes' Enclave Reviewing System guidelines.
    4. Showcase their quests in our Members' Quest Catalog forum.
    5. Offer or request tutoring in our Tutoring forum.
    6. Post and reply to topics in our General Neverwinter Foundry Discussion forum.
    7. Post and discuss links to other listing sites in our Neverwinter UGC Links forum.
    8. Browse and reply to reviewers' threads in our Scribes' Enclave Reviewers forum.
    9. Browse and reply to reviewers' threads in our Review Offers forum.
    10. Use our Scribes' Enclave TeamSpeak 3 server.

Reviewers' Privileges
    1. Create their own author biography in our Scribes' Directory forum.
    2. Request reviews for their quests in our Review Requests forum.
    3. Review and give feedback for other members' quests, following the Scribes' Enclave Reviewing System guidelines.
    4. Showcase their quests in our Members' Quest Catalog forum.
    5. Offer or request tutoring in our Tutoring forum.
    6. Post and reply to topics in our General Neverwinter Foundry Discussion forum.
    7. Post and discuss links to other listing sites in our Neverwinter UGC Links forum.
    8. Browse and reply to reviewers' threads in our Scribes' Enclave Reviewers forum.
    9. Browse and reply to reviewers' threads in our Review Offers forum.
    10. Use our Scribes' Enclave TeamSpeak 3 server.
    11. Required to post their own introductory thread in our Scribes' Enclave Reviewers forum.
    12. Post their events in our Review Offers forum.
    13. Post their events on our site Calendar.

Keep all comments clean and respectful. The Site Manager can remove any comment, post, thread, or member at any time.
  • Options
    remorselordremorselord Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I will join sometime around as a possible reviewer but from my first visit to your site I want to mention a few things. The template you are currently using for the website is very bland and simple. It might have been intentionally designed to be this way, but from the looks of it I'd just say that it's not very attractive for newcomers who would be registering on your website. Additionally, the colors of brown and grey don't exactly mix together well when the text is another shade of grey. As a designer myself, these minor things stuck out to me first. I would go for a more contrasting template, something simillar to this website or anything else that has contrast and possibly texture.

Your site banner is extremely simple and could definitely use some work to make it look nicer and more fitting to the Neverwinter theme.

Another thing I noticed was the fact that all of your threads are locked unless a user registers. Although useful in situations where you are running a project that is "private," this works the other way when it is not. Given the fact that these forums are open for anyone to see and a Free to Play game in general, I don't see any reason for you to hide the content when the point of your website is to give and receive reviews. By allowing guests to see some of the discussions present on your website, you are actually opening a door for a few things. You create curiosity and interest for people who do not play Neverwinter and as such want to try out quests posted in reviews. You are also giving the chance for those of us who are undecided on these forums to still see what you are upto and maybe if enough interest is developed, register.

So instead of posting counts for how many members joined the website, I would strongly consider working on the website first and make it more presentable. Once your website is interesting, you will no longer need to beg for users. They will come to you themselves.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    27 members now! :) Good thing too, because i was getting lonely all by myself on the second page of our roster. ;)

@remorselord: Thank you for taking an interest in our site. :) I spent hours looking for a good template, and the ones with Neverwinter designs all had a solid content background with a metallic-ish radiant tone. There was no separation of sections or widgets, and the text was hard to see. The same with most of the other non-game-specific templates. I really like the framed content background of the one i chose. I then spent two days trying to do some customization. They have made changes to the CSS editor and i'm having a hard time figuring it out, i've even posted on their support site for help, only to be told i should just choose another template. Most of the information i can find tells me to download Firefox and a Firebug plugin, which i tried to do, but my antivirus kept deleting the .exe file because it saw it as a threat. The way the links are set on this template, new links are yellow, and old links are grey. Yes it makes it a bit difficult to see the grey ones, but that makes the yellow ones really stand out. Which, for our purpose, makes newly posted quests really stand out, which is a good thing. I will continue looking for ways to make the site look a bit nicer, but it is not our priority.

Our threads are locked purposely, for privacy. That is the point of our guild, a smaller, private group. If it were open to the general public, it would be no different than these forums, thus really serving no purpose. It is not intended for the entire Neverwinter gaming population, it is intended for like-minded individuals who want to be a part of a smaller group. I didn't create Scribes' Enclave for a mass-scale popular public guild, i created it for a specific purpose, and so far it's fulfilling that purpose very well. :)

I am not "begging for users," i am offering help to newer authors. That is my intent, and that is the purpose of our guild, to offer help. Since this is where newer authors look for help, this seems a fitting place to offer it to them.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Alright, after delving and snooping and finding where some kind soul posted a way to sneak back in to the "phased out" template builder, and a few hours of tinkering, our Scribes' Enclave site has a new look. :)

http://scribesenclave.guildlaunch.com/

I better get back to reviewing now.
  • Options
    remorselordremorselord Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Much better look. Just change the header font color to something bright like white, red, or orange. I'm busy this week otherwise I'd make you a nice header.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    We had a busy weekend of reviewing our members' quests and giving feedback. :)

We could still use some more new quests to review! Some of our reviewers scan these forums for new quests also, so we still may get to yours if you don't join Scribes' Enclave. But some of us do look for members' quests before coming here.

Again, thank you to everyone who joined during our opening weekend. :)

Much better look. Just change the header font color to something bright like white, red, or orange. I'm busy this week otherwise I'd make you a nice header.

It was white at first, but it made the top look a bit too bright, and the dark orange from the rest of the site looked weird on that background. I might need to fade the background, or try removing it altogether. I'm trying to find out how to change the top menu bar to black, then maybe white font will look better for the logo. I've posted on the site for the codes to change some other font colors and sizes also.
  • Options
    cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I already belong to a guild, but happy to help out. Can I join your group to help review, but at the same time not join you in-game?
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I already belong to a guild, but happy to help out. Can I join your group to help review, but at the same time not join you in-game?

Of course. :) It's not an in-game guild at all, we're all from different shards and different in-game guilds.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Oh, duh me. :) You wrote that in the OP and on the site but I only skimmed it before posting. Time to read it all.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I signed up to be a reviewer on your GuildLaunch site, but I don't have privs to post my intro in the section for reviewers.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I signed up to be a reviewer on your GuildLaunch site, but I don't have privs to post my intro in the section for reviewers.

Yeah i just fixed that, sorry. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    zbkolde wrote: »
    Yeah i just fixed that, sorry. :)

No problem, thanks. :)
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    irtoof75irtoof75 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well since I like to do all the things listed I will have to join as well but don't think I like all of you or anything......cause I do :)
    "Crayons taste like purple"

Campaign: Night of Embers - NWS-DQX5GVNKO
    1: A Flame In The Darkness - NW-DE47BTDI9