test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Control Wizard in PVP

jessicaomgjessicaomg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Library
I understand a "Control" wizard is all about cc and damage but its ridiculous how long they can keep you cced. By the time their last CC is done, their first one is off of cooldown. And if you do happen to get through the cc, then they just blink away again, and again.

There should be some sort of diminishing return on cc. Like 100% first one, 50% second one, 25% third one. Otherwise you're cced the whole time and if you do manage to get near them, they can just blink away up to 3 times.
Post edited by jessicaomg on

Comments

• Options
    mctankypantsmctankypants Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi Jessica,

What class are you playing? Knowing your class can better help us as a community to give insight into how you can combat this.
  • Options
    kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    GF has more single target CC than teh common CW. Oppressor CW or other chill based CWs might be close to the CC a GF has, but still prone is a much better disable than choke/chill/freeze due to unstoppable and ITC note being able to function while prone.

But yes, the CC in neverwinter is ridiculous and lowers the skill ceilling of pvp gameplay drastically without diminishing returns.
  • Options
    balorinbalorin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Diminishing returns is a nonsense when you already have immunity and block spread on all other class except the cleric and the wizard, and i don't talk about perma stealth silence and all other control for other class, who are not controler.

SO cool story bro.
  • Options
    kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    balorin wrote: »
    Diminishing returns is a nonsense when you already have immunity and block spread on all other class except the cleric and the wizard, and i don't talk about perma stealth silence and all other control for other class, who are not controler.

SO cool story bro.

So what your saying here, is that we should all play Rogue, GWF, GF. That sounds real balanced.

So, cool story bro.
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kevinf08 wrote: »
    So what your saying here, is that we should all play Rogue, GWF, GF. That sounds real balanced.
    If you're interested in control spells, yes.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    You can dodge/block just about all of a CW CC, the only one that you can't, most don't carry, and it is not instant, and often times will not cc the opponent, if they know the spell. I use it sometimes just so I can see the rogues who permastealth

Our CC actually doesn't last that long, many think that it is too short considering how squishy we are. You are prob face either 2 Wiz working in tandem, or a Wiz and Rogue working together--a rogue can disable you as well, all be it in slightly different ways.

Really need to know your class to give you better insight.
  • Options
    pfft2pfft2 Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    For what it's worth, in my experience CW's can't kill you in a single stunlock attack cycle.

GFs and Rogues can. I don't know enough about either of those classes to say exactly what they have to do to perform that feat, but it can be done. Suffice to say that CWs have the best long-range crowd control, but they don't necessarily have the best control available on the PvP battefield.

That said, PvP balance in this game is nearly impossible to discuss intelligently. There's such wide gap between the best teams (pre-mades) -- and the best gear -- and everyone else, that it's hard to evaluate class-specific capabilities in good faith. In one match, I'll kill every Rogue I come across. In the next match, I'll get dazed and two-shot by every Rogue before I even see him. Any duel with a melee class is almost always a struggle where I win, or a total laugher where I'm crushed.

Against other CWs? It basically comes down to who has his Daily charged -- dueling Ice Knives.

All I can saywith any certainty at this point is that the format of Domination PvP inherently discriminates against squishy characters who don't have stealth. It's all about holding ground, and you can't hold ground very well as a CW, because CWs depend on mobility. That doesn't necessarily mean that the class is underpowered, though. Just because a 5'10" NFL running back can't play professional basketball, it doesn't follow that he's not a world-class athlete.

Treat PvP as the amusing but frivolous mini-game that it is. Don't take trash talk to heart. If you really want to test your individual skill against other players', there are about six bajillion better places to do it.
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kevinf08 wrote: »

So, cool story bro.

Actually this is the closest to PvP balance we've had in the game. Besides the stupid Unstoppable nerf they just added, every class now can do well in PvP if played right. The problem is people don't like to break their habits. Many are still using the same Powers, same spec, same tactics, they have been using while leveling up, not to mention also disregarding all the changes that tool place in the last month.
    CWs used to dominate just standing still and shooting. Hec for a long time there was this bug with the shadow weaver set that lets a CW hit for millions. 2 DCs used to dominate any cap. Good CWs are using completely different tactics today and good DCs contribute the most in GG PvP.
    Now if they just completely eliminate the stupid Tenebrous enchants instead of doing more class nerfing/buffing, things would be good enough.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You cannot perma-CC anyone as CW, not even from full to close to their death with reasonably equal gear. The closest you can get is Repel + Ray of Frost specifically against GF's and even they can mitigate that with a Daily or good positioning. or just escaping (you just pushed them a large distance after all).

Also, unlike CW, a GF can slot Powers and a Daily that can kill anyone who is not CC-immune in one chain of CC if you treat them with contempt every time they slide up to you and think they only poke you a little with their stick over their board all the time.

So, without the OP giving at least some information about their class and context, as far as I'm concerned this is a whine post by a newbie to pvp...