test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Longevity of Neverwinter

spanky2014spanky2014 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 78
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Things for the Development team to consider when making new modules to get people to stick around for longer than a couple of weeks:

1. Make 10 or 15 man Dungeons. It brings people together and gives the game a "community".

2. Allow some "World PvP". Not in levelling areas, but in the new Lvl 60 ONLY areas. Let these areas have a quest hub with nice rewards... at the risk of getting ganked. It can be like Gauntgrym P1 with actually fighting? It can be FFA or it can be "faction" based. Preferably with more than 2 factions. Have 3 factions for a different dynamic!

3. I think some of the boss mechanics are decent in normal dungeons. Adding more HP and 10x more adds in "EPIC" doesn't really make it EPIC at all. Think about other things to make the fight challenging and fun rather than adding more adds. I can make many suggestions, but I'm sure people have made suggestions before. I'll leave it at that.

4. I don't mind the Zen, pay system. However I do believe that it is a little pricey. I've spent $200 to buy the Found Pack in support of the game. Despite feeling ripped, I bought the Feywild Pack and have about $200 in keys/bags/tokens/stone etc. Over the 10 years playing WOW I spent $1500 on subscription fees and the game. I'm willing to spend this much if not more as long as you provide good content. However I have spent $500 so far to support the game and feel a little let down. Lower your ZEN item prices some more.

5. Make the next Tier gear hard to farm. That is make the dungeon bigger (say 4-6 bosses all dropping different slots) and make it you can only do it "once" per week. This way gear doesn't get flooded by people "farming" and give those who play for casually an hour or two to kill a boss each day till the Dungeon resets. I don't agree with BOP since you have spent time killing the boss and having fun. After you get all your stuff, there is no longer any reward or incentive to keep at it. If gear was BOE, at least once you have everything you can sell it to help others but won't be enough to flood the market as you can only do it once a week.

6. Reconsider the "unbinding" costs of gems. It is ridiculous to say the least. Considering how "expensive" it is to get it to max level, I don't see why you would not want me to have my Rank7 gem? Gems cost more than the gear? If people are willing to pay 1M AD and the item they slot it in only costs 100k AD? I think there is something wrong.

7. Introduce the features we have been hanging out for i.e. Unbinding of Companions. I got a stone for my Wiz but I want to make a GWF. Having to spend another $20 for this pet a bit much. Yes I have bought another stone in the meanwhile, but hope they will let me unbind so I can use for my other characters. Let us upgrade our companions so they are more "viable". While you are at it, give them passive modes so they don't aggro the whole dungeon and die.

I think the above changes would keep me interested, happy and willing to part some money for at least 6 months to 1 year.

Thanks for listening.
Post edited by spanky2014 on

Comments

• zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Improve Foundry.

I don't give two wet slaps about any of the rest of it.

Also upgrading companions will be available with Feywild patch.
    FINALLY.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    1. Make 10 or 15 man Dungeons. It brings people together and gives the game a "community".

Great, now I get to deal with 9 noobs in a pug opposed to 4... 10-15 person dungeons rock for those who have a guild w/ solid players. When it comes to pugs though, the more players, the more chance of getting noobs who will fail the encounter..
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited July 2013
    I prefer 5 man groups. I had enough of 10-25 man raids in WoW. Plus the devs in the interview did mention that their focus would be 5 man party.
  • realborealbo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I prefer 5 man dungeons, MAYBE a 10 man raid at the most. This is Neverwinter. I enjoy the game as it is. I don't want another WoW wannabe.
    Admiralsig.png
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2013
    all I know is that I am pretty much done with this game..... zero longevity or re-playability IMO.

I still play CO and STO, have since beta of both ...but this game? nah...no thanks. It has none of the appeal of its predecessors.... no connection to character at all.
    Some good ideas, especially about the T2+ gear. Putting a limit of one run a day/week to prevent farming and various "speedruns" just to make a nice stockpile of ADs is a nice idea.

Unbinding gems is also 10 times too expensive. While i understand we need an AD sink, the devs are creating the problem by giving 600k ADs or more to people buying packs. This makes playing the game and earning ADs through dailies pointless. ADs is supposed to be a time currency (trade zen for time, or time for zen), but it's just another store item atm.
  • kentuckyfriedfookentuckyfriedfoo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Open world pvp is the worst idea ever, it is only enjoyed by silly children, pvp is not meant for this game, go back to wow, anyways, the game will die soon at this rate of lazy development.
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    all I know is that I am pretty much done with this game..... zero longevity or re-playability IMO.

I still play CO and STO, have since beta of both ...but this game? nah...no thanks. It has none of the appeal of its predecessors.... no connection to character at all.

This is one complaint that has legs. There is a great ability to customize characters in the other games, a real connection with your particular style and look.

That is almost entirely missing in NW -- avatars don't vary much (at least for a western game), gear is only moderately varied, fashion options are pretty limited, character design is jaw-droppingly limited (I can be a GWF with a large sword, that other large sword, a weird large sword, a large mace, ... um...).

I've worked hard at making my characters distinct, and I suppose you could write 'backstories' in Foundry, but ... there doesn't seem to be much connection to who your character is.

It doesn't help that there's the oh-so-typical 'you (all) are heroes of the bridge!' Great. MMO written as if it was a single player game.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • brunhildhabrunhildha Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    A Paladin is too similar to the GF and has some aspects of the Cleric so it's kinda pointless having a clone class when we need already missing classes like the Druid, Ranger, Bard (more geared toward buffing people and groups through their music) or even a War Mage that can use weapons or wear heavy armour.
  • smbryant916smbryant916 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As a gamer and a Game Designer I have to look at NW in many lights I understand how much money it cost to make and support an MMO, but with that in mind if you advertise a game to be 100% free than why charge for races, races and classes are part of the game and should not be sold, sell keys,mounts, companions ,clothing,packs, all day but don't sell stuff that should be part of the game. NW has the possibility of longevity of WOW if they would listen to there community witch are the ones supporting the game.

NW is need of some new classes or new trees or lines to give players more options and duel specs, the pvp needs some love such as new maps and new modes. 10 man 20 man epic dungeons, raiding that's why we play MMOs and make guilds.

Don't get me wrong NW has one of the best F2P models i have seen to date, I have spent my share at the cash shop but people need to speak up they will not change a thing if we keep pouring are money into the cash shops that's just the nature of this business.
  • spanky2014spanky2014 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 78
    edited July 2013
    The point of my post is that although Neverwinter has been fun to play a lot can be improved and not everything I have suggested will suit EVERYONE. However the changes suggested will retain people of all tastes. I've read some of the posts and just like to clarify a few things:

Someone saying saying Neverwinter should only be 5 man? This is really limited and doesn't build friendships and community. Friends and community are what keeps people playing. So you are not keen on Raid, fine. You can continue doing solo or 5 man dungeons. No one is forcing you, but there are many people who are just waiting for a 10 man raid. The loot for raids doesn't have to be better, maybe more drops from a boss i.e. 3 items instead of 1. This will also give a higher chance for a certain class to get a chance to roll on their loot.

World PvP in an instance only. Due to how the game maps are, you can enter with "like" minded "kids". You don't have to enter. It would be like Gauntlgrym. You are trying to "feed" the giant and someone from another faction comes and tries to kill you. Its a PvP aspect that some people enjoy and keep those people happy.

Arena after the first 10 doesn't seem fun. Have "match making" system so it is a challenge. So far I have had 2 challenging fight out of countless games. Not to brag but with my friends (4 or more of us) we have not yet lost. I have tried pugs a few times but the case is always one team is made up of better geared players than the other making it a steamroll. I mention gear and not so much skill. Add match making to the system to match people of the same skill/gear to make it more enjoyable and challenging.

I think most people who have read this thread agree with some of the changes suggested above if not all.

If it helps, I would like to point out that I'm not a "free loading" customer and have spent $800 on this game so far. Most of my friends have spent about $100 each and we will most likely get the new pack. But if its the same old stuff, then a small part of your paying customer base will disappear.

Thanks for listening.
  • nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    1. Allow companion stacking in solo dungeons, make them more challenging and more rewarding. :)

2. Lower cost of Mount Training. R1->R2 by 50%. R2->R3 by 70%.
  • nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    As a gamer and a Game Designer I have to look at NW in many lights I understand how much money it cost to make and support an MMO, but with that in mind if you advertise a game to be 100% free than why charge for races, races and classes are part of the game and should not be sold, sell keys,mounts, companions ,clothing,packs, all day but don't sell stuff that should be part of the game. NW has the possibility of longevity of WOW if they would listen to there community witch are the ones supporting the game.

NW is need of some new classes or new trees or lines to give players more options and duel specs, the pvp needs some love such as new maps and new modes. 10 man 20 man epic dungeons, raiding that's why we play MMOs and make guilds.

Don't get me wrong NW has one of the best F2P models i have seen to date, I have spent my share at the cash shop but people need to speak up they will not change a thing if we keep pouring are money into the cash shops that's just the nature of this business.

I understand all that. But you get two of the same races under different dressing. Seems OK to me.
    Classes are needed indeed but I remember so many games which start with so little and expand classes only after some good cash in-flow from playerbase. Looking at bad boy Eden Eternal. And Vindictus to an extent. So I think the same scheme is here.
    They can always add extra group and solo content with the same rewards as standard content.
    You know, standard dungeon A with bosses 1, 2, 3 dropping loot X, Y, Z.
    And a paid dungeon B with bosses 4, 5, 6 dropping loot X, Y, Z. But I will be mugged for this suggestion.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    spanky2014 wrote: »
    2. Allow some "World PvP". Not in levelling areas, but in the new Lvl 60 ONLY areas. Let these areas have a quest hub with nice rewards... at the risk of getting ganked. It can be like Gauntgrym P1 with actually fighting? It can be FFA or it can be "faction" based. Preferably with more than 2 factions. Have 3 factions for a different dynamic!

In order to have world PvP, you'd probably need to start with "world". The game as it currently stands would be just a bit of "zone PvP", without the ability to have people control chokepoints, travel routes and other interesting bits, as we have in other games with a proper open world.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    oh god no raids please, i dont want to have to log in every tuesday thursday and friday at 7pm to raid or get kicked from guild if i dont attend them.

Raiding killed WoW for me.

What MMOs offer (differs) usually is either endless dungeon/pve content, endless PvP content (competitive etc). All of this is carrot on sticks for players who just need a reason to log in kinda sad when you think of it like that.

However neverwinter is sitting on gold, and that is the reason why the reviews from review sites have given neverwinter a positive score.

FOUNDRY!!!!

Just improve foundry,

1. Could give it its own currency for every new one you try or something, or game length. or just have drops in foundry that is not seen outside of it. Improve the chest reward, instead of a random green, why not a handful of scrolls, potions or injury kits.

2. Let foundry items be more flexible and fun, let players have custom weapons that shoot fireballs etc, but remove them when you exit the map (load back into neverwinter etc).
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • vientorvientor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited July 2013
    grimah wrote: »
    oh god no raids please, i dont want to have to log in every tuesday thursday and friday at 7pm to raid or get kicked from guild if i dont attend them.

Raiding killed WoW for me.

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with raids, and raid content, and EVERYTHING to do with your guild. If you don't want that kind of raiding structure, don't join that type of guild. Pretty simple. You don't need to eliminate raiding from a game to avoid that.

I hope they add raiding to the game. Though it may not matter if they don't get this greed thing under control.
  • brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The thing is that the economic model of the game is not to have a really restricted amount of items available on the market.

Why?

Because having lots of gear on the market encourages zen purchases whereby people convert zen to AD to buy things on the market, like gear and chants. In order for this to keep "flowing", you need a market that has a lot of stuff in it that level capped characters are going to buy in terms of gear and expensive upgrades to it like chants. It drives zen purchases, which is the entire economic basis of the game.

As for raids, I am fine with adding raids as long as they don't become the only way to get the best gear in the game, which is what they almost always become following the logic of "it is harder to do, so therefore needs the top rewards". If that is the way the design goes, I'll just leave. Always disliked raids and the "community" around raiding.
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    Improve Foundry.

I agree with this post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spanky2014spanky2014 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 78
    edited July 2013
    As for raids, I am fine with adding raids as long as they don't become the only way to get the best gear in the game, which is what they almost always become following the logic of "it is harder to do, so therefore needs the top rewards". If that is the way the design goes, I'll just leave. Always disliked raids and the "community" around raiding.

Agree, don't need to make raids drop the best gear in game. It's unfortunate that I have 7 friends and can only do 5 man and 3 people get left out. I rather do 10 man and invite 2 randoms/PUG.
  • johnygwapojohnygwapo Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    the game is dying

90% of game reviews NW gets 6-7/10 LOL
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    more classes, more classpaths more feat choices, more armor weapon variety, more race options more quest paths, ect.... What's the point this is going nowhere, I tell ya just look at the 4th edition books and add what's there simple
  • cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't care what they add to the game as long as we're getting more content. The biggest problem with the game now is that it feels so barebones. I'd be happy with anything at this point.
  • johnfelljohnfell Banned Users Posts: 408 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I really wish there were more threads like this, with opening posts such as this have. Constructive ideas for improvement, and the idea that people add to it is great - hopefully Devs see it, the players here continue to add to it (if they care about the game) and don't let it die out and be forgotten 10-20 pages back on the forum.

+10
  • ind1go99ind1go99 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    Improve Foundry.

100%. And stuff the raiders. I'm more likely to stick around if they are not pandered to.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am anxious to see how the repeatable solo-able dungeons pan out from Feywild, (I don't want to spoil it by doing them on the test server). This type of approach is great for those times when you want to play but there's no DD or Skirmish event going.

If the Foundry gave rewards that were enticing to a level 60, then I might be more apt to play them. Even after 5X through the regular campaign, I still want to experience it on any new characters I make, so I wouldn't want to miss any by doing Foundries on them, but at level 60... give me better rewards and I'll give 'em a whirl!
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • hirosakisanhirosakisan Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    regarding pvp a mass pvp thing like territory conquest or siege like many mmorpgs out there would help

hardest drops? no! i would like to have items even easier to get

right now a lot of ppl quit because they reach lvl 60 in 2 weeks or less (DC and GF, the others are even faster) and they realize that they need at least 3 months of farm for BiS gear / stone / perfect enchants / p2w mount

difference between a -pvp geared (glory) toon with rank 5 enchants and no rare ench- and a -bis geared toon with rank 7-8 and rare enchants- is ridiculous

also fixing some more would help (i'm a full-tank gf and seeing other gfs doing more dmg than rogues and gwf together thx to a broken set makes me wonder what devs were drinkng)
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    regarding pvp a mass pvp thing like territory conquest or siege like many mmorpgs out there would help
    hardest drops? no! i would like to have items even easier to get
    right now a lot of ppl quits because they reach lvl 60 in 2 weeks or less (taking it slowly) and they realize that they need at least 3 months of farm for BiS gear / stone / perfect enchants

Well, a more realistic way of getting items with seals at the lower levels would help...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • hirosakisanhirosakisan Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Well, a more realistic way of getting items with seals at the lower levels would help...

problem is seal gear is useless at best, it gives no bonus and has bad stats... so better stick to glory equip till you get a guild that invites you to t2 dungeons