test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Great Weapon Fighter mitigation

freehugs9freehugs9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2013 in The Militia Barracks
There's a few GWF tanking threads popping up and every likes to stay alive, so I thought some of the theorycraft on mitigation might help.

Damage Reduction from Defense and defensive bonuses hard cap at 80% (Deflect is separate).

e.g.
( 2494 Defense (30.13%) + 28 AC (9%) ) x Armor Specialization (1.15) = 45% damage reduction

Clerics (if they're not horrible) will buff your damage reduction with additive bonuses:
45% DR + Foresight (11%) + Astral Shield (24%) = 80% Hard Cap
45% DR + Foresight (11%) + Hallowed Ground (30%) = 80% Hard Cap
45% DR + Foresight (11%) + Divine Armor (40%) = 80% Hard Cap
Foresight will be on you if you're getting any heals at all, the rest are blue and yellow circles on the ground.

Or you can buff yourself with additive bonuses:
45% DR + Foresight (11%) + half-strength Unstoppable (25%) = 80% Hard Cap
45% DR + Foresight (11%) + Daring Shout (25%? not sure, will check) = 80% Hard Cap
45% DR + 70%-strength Unstoppable (35%) = 80% Hard Cap

So for the best effect, use Unstoppable when you aren't standing in a friendly cleric circle, and use Daring Shout when you don't have a circle to stand in or Unstoppable.

5 more AC from Master At Arms lowers the required Defense to 2035 to hit 45%.
With Sentinel's Aegis on top of Master At Arms it would take 1463 Defense, less than you're likely to have on DPS gear.

The damage reduction from Dex vs. AoE and Str vs. DoT's is also additive, so 21 Dex and 21 Strength can help make up for a lack of the Foresight bonus if you're not getting heals for some reason.

Deflect works separately, taking away half the damage after damage reduction is applied (e.g. taking you from from 80% mitigation to 90% when you Deflect an attack). Deflect is a nice bonus from Feats etc but the stat itself scales horribly, you'll get a lot larger effect from putting points into Life Steal.
Post edited by freehugs9 on

Comments

• Options
    railcarrailcar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    freehugs9 wrote: »
    Not sure how Sentinel's Aegis stacks, but if it works like and is additive to Armor Specialization, you would only need 1559 Defense to hit 45%.
    With both talents it would be 1275 Defense, less than you're likely to have on DPS gear.

I need to check a few numbers, but it appears to be multiplicative...the net damage reduction result being greater than an additive bonus.

My listed value is 45.9% which is 12% from AC and 33.9% from defense, but the net reduction is actually 59.7% per the combat log. Assuming multiplicative bonuses the math looks like this for defense 33.9x1.15x1.2 = 46.8, then add the AC back in it comes to 58.8 which is close, but still off by about 1%.
  • Options
    charvildcharvild Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    About Sentinel's Aegis and Armor Specialization, i made some test on preview (on skeleton archer) and they are additive, so with both feats we have:
    Defense(damage reduction)*1.35 + Armor Class(damage reduction)*1.15 = Damage Resistance
    or with flat stat
    [50*Defense/(1643+Defense)]*1.35 + (Armor Class-10)/2*1.15 = Damage Resistance

With this formula, 1460 defense and 33 armor class give you 45%.
    (Please tell me if anyone can find same result)

Anyway your work is very interresting, as a Sentinel GWF i was trying to stack defense (with scrapper set, +5% def per encounter/per target).
    Maybe i'll just get some deflect with passive/feat and minimum defense !
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    freehugs9 wrote: »
    ...So for the best effect, use Unstoppable when you aren't standing in a friendly cleric circle, and use Determination when you don't have a circle to stand in or Unstoppable.

Ok it is too early in the morning for me, so I may be missing something here. Determination? Did you mean Daring Shout?
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    freehugs9freehugs9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    charvild wrote: »
    About Sentinel's Aegis and Armor Specialization, i made some test on preview (on skeleton archer) and they are additive, so with both feats we have:
    Defense(damage reduction)*1.35 + Armor Class(damage reduction)*1.15 = Damage Resistance
    or with flat stat
    [50*Defense/(1643+Defense)]*1.35 + (Armor Class-10)/2*1.15 = Damage Resistance

With this formula, 1460 defense and 33 armor class give you 45%.
    (Please tell me if anyone can find same result)

Anyway your work is very interresting, as a Sentinel GWF i was trying to stack defense (with scrapper set, +5% def per encounter/per target).
    Maybe i'll just get some deflect with passive/feat and minimum defense !

1463 defense! Your formula is very very close to Railcar's numbers but not quite (0.1% off). I wonder what's going on there? Still it's closer than anything I can think of.

So, does Daring Shout hit 25% as I've read elsewhere? I swear I'll test this....at some point. ;)
    If you find that you can alternate cleric circles, Unstoppable and Daring Shout then you really don't need the stacked Defense. Without that combination the extra Defense will make a huge difference, so I guess it depends on the boss fight.

copticone wrote: »
    Ok it is too early in the morning for me, so I may be missing something here. Determination? Did you mean Daring Shout?

Yes. Yes I did. (fixed)