test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gear scores dont match the requirements demanded by majority of the population

shajib1234shajib1234 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
As it stands the 9.3k gs requirement to enter castle never almost never cuts it to join a pug. People demands at least 10.5-11k+ gs to just enter the party.

The 8.3k gs req for t2s is also outdated. Its almost impossible to join a pug t2 with 8.3k gs. If you enter through que and your not the party leader, you will most likely be booted.
Post edited by shajib1234 on

Comments

• Options
    farfig1337farfig1337 Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    The solution is make the Dungeons easier specifically in the area of adds and trash that no one wants to spend all the time killing. OR make gear drops better earlier and allow players many options to farm Runestones so they can have a resonable chnace to get the required gears scores without having to buy all there gear.
  • Options
    jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    it's not outdated.

people just demand that everyone to be horrendously overgeared for everything.

it's like that in every MMO. no different here.

it's just how it is.
  • Options
    jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    farfig1337 wrote: »
    The solution is make the Dungeons easier specifically in the area of adds and trash that no one wants to spend all the time killing. OR make gear drops better earlier and allow players many options to farm Runestones so they can have a resonable chnace to get the required gears scores without having to buy all there gear.

no, this is not a game problem.

it's a player problem.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well you can reach 11k GS by equipping <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with a lot of regen, life steal and armor pen. But most groups will not check your gear so feel free to say you have 11k when you have 9.
  • Options
    rishzothrishzoth Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jmadfour wrote: »
    no, this is not a game problem.

it's a player problem.

This...

I could care less what your GS is, just as long as you can get into CN. Now, if you can successfully navigate your way through the dungeon without killing your party several times and have the skill to kill all the bosses, then you have done well. I have seen many players with higher GS than mine fail miserably throughout the dungeon. It takes a specific player with the right group dynamics to make CN a success. GS has nothing to do with it other than getting into CN.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    farfig1337 wrote: »

Sorry, dungeons are pretty easy with the right group of people. They can clear trash quickly and efficiently. There is nothing wrong with the dungeons in the current game. They are quite simple to finish.

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Gear Scores aren't there based on player demands. Gear Score is there to prevent players who are simply unable to do the dungeon from queuing.

Players want higher GS players because it makes things easier but a group of players with the required gear scores should be able to complete the dungeons, albeit more difficultly. If the minimum gear score was raised all we would see is a shift that players would demand higher gear scores.

Honestly Gear Score isn't everything anyway and eventually people will figure that out. I'm still traumatized by my recent Castle Never attempt which was thwarted by our own GF who was fully specced for PvP and couldn't keep threat if his life depended on it.
  • Options
    cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Well you can reach 11k GS by equipping <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with a lot of regen, life steal and armor pen. But most groups will not check your gear so feel free to say you have 11k when you have 9.

Indeed. I bought myself some cheap, crappy blues for my GF to tide her over while I save up for a better purple set. I almost **** myself when I saw the resulting GS. Then I got the purples. All BiS or 2nd best gear and my GS went down...a lot.

Gearscore, like a lot of things in this game, simply doesn't work correctly even if it's working as intended. According to Cryptic, you're better equipped to run CN with a bunch of random blues than a Stalwart set. ****, I could've saved some serious diamonds if I'd known that. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Gear Scores aren't there based on player demands. Gear Score is there to prevent players who are simply unable to do the dungeon from queuing.

Players want higher GS players because it makes things easier but a group of players with the required gear scores should be able to complete the dungeons, albeit more difficultly. If the minimum gear score was raised all we would see is a shift that players would demand higher gear scores.

Honestly Gear Score isn't everything anyway and eventually people will figure that out. I'm still traumatized by my recent Castle Never attempt which was thwarted by our own GF who was fully specced for PvP and couldn't keep threat if his life depended on it.

CN requires expert wizards. GFs aren't useful most of the times. No one can/should hold the aggro and aoes of a battle wigh commander, and 30 rotters attacking you at the same time is also too much damage for anyone. The only place GFs is boss fights, especially the last one. He can gather red wizards and tank them while CWs load their daily to throw everything off the edge. But don't expect a GF to do anything useful but raw damage during the dungeon itself, there's way too much damage to tank and control is more critical.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    CN requires expert wizards. GFs aren't useful most of the times. No one can/should hold the aggro and aoes of a battle wigh commander, and 30 rotters attacking you at the same time is also too much damage for anyone. The only place GFs is boss fights, especially the last one. He can gather red wizards and tank them while CWs load their daily to throw everything off the edge. But don't expect a GF to do anything useful but raw damage during the dungeon itself, there's way too much damage to tank and control is more critical.

I agree on the CW part, as this is a vital component to success in CN. Having inexperienced CWs usually means disaster.

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013

It was a pug obviously and we simply got matched up with him. He had a 13K GS but during the Beholder fight he couldn't keep threat off any character. 2 CW and 2 DC's and we couldn't stay alive through the cutters. I am a DC with just under 11K GS and running past him trying to get the cutters off me was actually peeling the few cutters on him to turn and fight me.

Honestly I think the average person hasn't played with a good GF and that's why they are so under-appreciated. A GF designed to generate threat and lock down adds is something I want in every single dungeon despite this suicidal rush logic so many pugs think is a good idea.

However, no matter what, as a guardian fighter there's absolutely no excuse to not be able to hold threat. If the cleric is peeling threat off of you just by walking past mobs and you have the higher gear score you better not expect to ever do anything besides PvP.

13K GS and the only reason we won was because we (despite the protests of the GF who wanted to tank the boss) pulled the beholder to the hallway so we didn't spawn adds because the CW's would basically die the second the 75% HP wave spawned.
  • Options
    cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ^ Sounds more like a game issue than a player issue, quite frankly. If a GF is attacking and trying to hold mobs and a player just walking past is able to draw aggro like that, then I can hardly fault the GF for a flaw in the game's design.

If I was the GF in that fight and I was accused of failing to do my job over something I had no control over, I'd be rightly offended and tell you to tank the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> yourself because I'd like to see how better of a job you do at it.

Everybody likes to point the blame at somebody no matter what, though. It would be too much for people to take a mature attitude about things and just say "**** happens".
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have a pretty decent gear score (12.4K) myself, but I have found that gear score is actually less important than skill and communication. If you are running with a well-balanced and skilled guild group, with everyone on voice chat, you can successfully run through a dungeon even if people barely meet the minimum GS. On the other hand, I have run the same dungeons with overgeared PUGs, and we have failed miserably.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    adinosii wrote: »
    I have a pretty decent gear score (12.4K) myself, but I have found that gear score is actually less important than skill and communication. If you are running with a well-balanced and skilled guild group, with everyone on voice chat, you can successfully run through a dungeon even if people barely meet the minimum GS. On the other hand, I have run the same dungeons with overgeared PUGs, and we have failed miserably.

This is the other element for success in CN: Communication.

• Options
    mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I feel as though GS really needs to be tweaked per class and feat tree.

I have a GF with the Tactician tree. She has full stalwart, purple neck/rings, blue belt, gemmed blue shirt/pants, and 7/9 rank 7 enchants(not counting utility). She is only 10.4k gear score. All those GFs you see with 13-14k GS are using Conqueror and/or non-set pieces. So they're basically built for dps and/or are an inferior tank, but have a higher GS and a better chance at getting invited to good parties.

It's very unsettling that I made my GF to be a useful tank for T2 dungeons, but she's ignored much more often than my GWF who can't pull aggro much harder than CWs can.

http://gateway.playneverwinter.com/#char(Astha@mutantdemocracy)/charactersheet
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    cinj216 wrote: »
    ^ Sounds more like a game issue than a player issue, quite frankly. If a GF is attacking and trying to hold mobs and a player just walking past is able to draw aggro like that, then I can hardly fault the GF for a flaw in the game's design.

If I was the GF in that fight and I was accused of failing to do my job over something I had no control over, I'd be rightly offended and tell you to tank the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> yourself because I'd like to see how better of a job you do at it.

Everybody likes to point the blame at somebody no matter what, though. It would be too much for people to take a mature attitude about things and just say "**** happens".

That's not a game issue. A halfway decent GF will lock down aggro. The Guardian Fighter is the only class which actively attempts to generate threat (except for some select Sentinel GWF feats/powers)

Since the threat mechanics were changed GF's can lock down entire rooms of mobs depending on how they are built. A tactician GF will literally pull mobs from across the room but no GF should lose the aggro of the monsters they are actively attacking.

The only time I have ever seen that happen since the threat mechanics were changed was this GF with 13K Gear Score. He had the highest gear score on the team but he was the least effective part of the team because his GS couldn't compensate with the fact his GF build failed to fill the GF role.
  • Options
    malkaviermalkavier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You responded to someone who either misunderstood or didn't even read the comment they replied to in which you mentioned they were straight DPS-PvP specced.

And yes, those GFs are useless in CN.

HOWEVER, I have been watching videos lately of the following party composition:

3 GFs
    2 DCs

They've been clearing CN with no issues at all, and without the silly "punt the adds" nonsense us poor CWs -always- get relegated into doing.
    How Cryptic trolls the entire NWO playerbase: 9200 GS listed for CN, implying anyone who needs more has no skill.
  • Options
    nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    shajib1234 wrote: »
    As it stands the 9.3k gs requirement to enter castle never almost never cuts it to join a pug. People demands at least 10.5-11k+ gs to just enter the party.

The 8.3k gs req for t2s is also outdated. Its almost impossible to join a pug t2 with 8.3k gs. If you enter through que and your not the party leader, you will most likely be booted.

It's like that in all games.
    There are 2 types of people asking LF overgeared team:
    1. the ones seeking carriers. they themselves barely qualify but want others to carry them.
    2. the ones seeking easy loot.
  • Options
    geargogglesgeargoggles Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    That's not a game issue. A halfway decent GF will lock down aggro. The Guardian Fighter is the only class which actively attempts to generate threat (except for some select Sentinel GWF feats/powers)

Since the threat mechanics were changed GF's can lock down entire rooms of mobs depending on how they are built. A tactician GF will literally pull mobs from across the room but no GF should lose the aggro of the monsters they are actively attacking.

The only time I have ever seen that happen since the threat mechanics were changed was this GF with 13K Gear Score. He had the highest gear score on the team but he was the least effective part of the team because his GS couldn't compensate with the fact his GF build failed to fill the GF role.

Actually it is a game issue. As a GF you simple cannot build threat unless you have the right combination of powers and feats. This also means sacrificing feats which can help with survivability and it means sacrificing a slot to put in a power that doesn't do anything other than build threat.

In a pug group as a tank, healers are a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> shoot. You can either power yourself to stay alive, or power yourself in hopes you will get good heals.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Current composition in a guild CN run atm:

3 CWs
    1 GF
    1 DC

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Actually it is a game issue. As a GF you simple cannot build threat unless you have the right combination of powers and feats. This also means sacrificing feats which can help with survivability and it means sacrificing a slot to put in a power that doesn't do anything other than build threat.

In a pug group as a tank, healers are a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> shoot. You can either power yourself to stay alive, or power yourself in hopes you will get good heals.

So you can either tank OR dps OR heal yourself. Sounds ok to me. It's a player issue if you complain about not being able do to all this at the same time. If you have trouble finding a good DC, it's another player issue. Most of them don't know how to play with a GF in the team and keep using aoe heals like FF instead of the single target one we have. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Make your own groups.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    shajib1234shajib1234 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Dont forget to add Exp is a must for cn these days lol. Very hard to form cn cause it takes way too long, consumes too much resources and people are scared of wasting their time for just trying out the dungeon.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Success. The dracolich was killed in 8 mins.

• Options
    kellian11kellian11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Gear score is probably one of the most useless and divisive things ever created in the history of MMO's. MMO's used to be about community, now its about can we run this content in 15 minutes instead of 16 minutes, and this guy has 100 more gear score so he is obviously better suited for the content.

In other games when I see people using GS as a pre requisite for anything, I just avoid the group. Chances are they die one time and all leave anyway.
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    ^^This.

Was in a pug yesterday and we had a new CW for Spider. He was trying and did a decent job but he couldn't cut it on the final boss. Wiped once and the second time, he went down almost immediately and the Rogue went down 3/4 of the way through. Still she was in Spider form and the GWF was whittling away at her slowly. Could have wiped, gone again and gotten her, or they could have just stuck it out and gotten her. Instead DC says "well this is going nowhere" and her and the GWF just disappear mid fight. So freaking tired of leavers.

Honestly, if you have made it all the way to the boss with a pug and put the time in to get there. Give it more than a couple of wipes. The group needs to get used to one another and it may take a few tries. If you are not willing to "stick it out" do not queue.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    kellian11 wrote: »
    Gear score is probably one of the most useless and divisive things ever created in the history of MMO's. MMO's used to be about community, now its about can we run this content in 15 minutes instead of 16 minutes, and this guy has 100 more gear score so he is obviously better suited for the content.

In other games when I see people using GS as a pre requisite for anything, I just avoid the group. Chances are they die one time and all leave anyway.
    allaerra wrote: »
    ^^This.

Was in a pug yesterday and we had a new CW for Spider. He was trying and did a decent job but he couldn't cut it on the final boss. Wiped once and the second time, he went down almost immediately and the Rogue went down 3/4 of the way through. Still she was in Spider form and the GWF was whittling away at her slowly. Could have wiped, gone again and gotten her, or they could have just stuck it out and gotten her. Instead DC says "well this is going nowhere" and her and the GWF just disappear mid fight. So freaking tired of leavers.

Honestly, if you have made it all the way to the boss with a pug and put the time in to get there. Give it more than a couple of wipes. The group needs to get used to one another and it may take a few tries. If you are not willing to "stick it out" do not queue.
    Completely agree with both statements.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ocampusmaximusocampusmaximus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Agreed with Kellian. GS is bull. I've seen players with high GS who are terrible team players or just lack skill.

On top of it, the game is supposed to be fun.
  • Options
    neverhofneverhof Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    verdonix1 wrote: »
    welcome to the world of MMO "elitism"

This.

There is such a wide range of player 'skills'. While it maybe ok to demand X amount of gearscore, experience or ability for high end dungeons, you are alienating a huge portion of your player base and pushing them out of the game.

Some people simply don't have it in them to perform at the extreme levels that the majority of players demand from you for you to even join their groups. And whats wrong with that? Don't you want more players to enjoy your games? For those players, what does a new game with limited end game content have to offer? Well, nothing basically, and all it results in is those players quitting the game.

You are left with a bunch of elitists that know every trick in the book to get the most currency or items out of the game with the minimal amount of effort. Imo these players will be the least likely to spend any real cash on the game as they know all the ways around the systems to get everything for free. This in turn encourages others to simply buy the gear they need from the AH once they have accumulated enough AD(which is probably about a week as the AH is so flooded with items)then join a group with their newly aquired 11k GS only to have no idea of what to do once inside a dungeon.

While there are only very few instances available in the game, imo the fights should be toned down to allow the full range of players to experience and enjoy the content. Bring the hard content later once more players have gotten used to the game and at least provide options for all level of player skills.

As it is, only full Tier 2 geared/experienced players can get into/complete Dungeons that drop...Tier 2 loot...wait, what?

Don't get me wrong I think this is a fantastic game but lately I have been less compelled to play because running an instance is far too stressful because of elitist quitters and moaners who would rather abandon a group and waste 4 other peoples time than stick it out and try and have fun with other people or do the unthinkable and try and impart some of their knowledge onto others.