test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic: Is this a joke?

realborealbo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Just wondering.

Instead of fixing the insurmountable bugs in the game, wolves, trolls and goblins are getting sound updates?

That's some great prioritization.
Admiralsig.png
Post edited by realbo on

Comments

• Options
    huckasevenhuckaseven Banned Users Posts: 470 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    cause the artwork and model staff is the same as the coding staff, right?
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Those are two completely different departments. ;)

The graphic artists, audio guys and animators wouldn't be much use solving bugs which aren't graphical or audio based. Heck most of the bugs which are graphical and audio based aren't with their actual work but issues which are derived from coding errors in the game engine calling software.

Fact of the matter is the things being put into the game now are being done by separate departments and likely in their "off time" between assignments that are directly "Module 1" or maybe even "Module 2" by people completely unrelated to most of the bugs you would complain about. :D
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    realbo wrote: »
    Just wondering.

Instead of fixing the insurmountable bugs in the game, wolves, trolls and goblins are getting sound updates?

Actually, if you were correct and the problems were really insurmountable then there wouldn't be any point in Cryptic wasting time trying to fix them.... :)
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Those are two completely different departments. ;)

The graphic artists, audio guys and animators wouldn't be much use solving bugs which aren't graphical or audio based. Heck most of the bugs which are graphical and audio based aren't with their actual work but issues which are derived from coding errors in the game engine calling software.

Fact of the matter is the things being put into the game now are being done by separate departments and likely in their "off time" between assignments that are directly "Module 1" or maybe even "Module 2" by people completely unrelated to most of the bugs you would complain about. :D

Pretty sure the point of the OP is being missed. PRIORITIES. Like Craptic putting out store content while the game was still being advertised as in "Open Beta", where the PRIORITY should have been on fixing bugs and exploits. Don't much care that it's a separate department, it still shouldn't be pumping out stuff in open beta.

Now that the game is live, it's quite normal to be spitting out content, but I'm reasonably certain the OP is trying to say that it seems like bug fixes and quality of life game improvements are taking a back burner to store content, which makes this look even more like a money grab.

Next time try to be more responsive to the actual issue rather than spout off the canned, knee-jerk reaction every post of this nature seems to elicit? Please?

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    Pretty sure the point of the OP is being missed. PRIORITIES. Like Craptic putting out store content while the game was still being advertised as in "Open Beta", where the PRIORITY should have been on fixing bugs and exploits. Don't much care that it's a separate department, it still shouldn't be pumping out stuff in open beta.

Now that the game is live, it's quite normal to be spitting out content, but I'm reasonably certain the OP is trying to say that it seems like bug fixes and quality of life game improvements are taking a back burner to store content, which makes this look even more like a money grab.

Next time try to be more responsive to the actual issue rather than spout off the canned, knee-jerk reaction every post of this nature seems to elicit? Please?

So you're saying shame on the graphic, sound, animation employees for doing their job? Are you suggesting that they get laid off until the "QA" department fixes every bug in the game?

What would you're reaction be if you were doing animation work for Cryptic (please, humor me with a hypothetical situation), and they suddenly said, "Sorry, we have priorities here. You made some great animations and stuff, but our coding department keeps <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up different parts of the game and creating more bugs. You did a good job with your work, but we need to let you go until those guys can fix their mistakes. We'll call you."
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of "different departments". The graphics, sound, and advertising guys don't have any part in fixing bugs. Having them stop working on stuff would be wasteful. Not only that, but the additional income their efforts generate are necessary to keep the game going.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    rathelasrathelas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why not the graphic and sound team fix the endless roaring of pets and mounts in PE? Change the sound so its not as annoying.
    Why not the graphic and sound team fix the clipping of weapons into your character, or clipping of cloaks into your character? Its really stupid to be riding a mount with your shield or weapon sticking into your character.
    Why not the graphic and sound team fix fashion items so that they don't completely suck and just clip or out right don't fit on your character correctly?
    Why not the graphic and sound team fix the dungeon graphics or world graphics so there aren't any holes in the floor for you to fall through?
    Why not the graphic and sound team fix animation speeds of some class skills such as GWF unstoppable (make it faster) so that it actually fires off and you don't get knocked down on your behind?

There are so many other items that should take more precedence over an update of goblin and wolves sounds. I think this is what the OP meant. Priorities and how the game is being handled.
  • Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

This is exactly what is happening. Its a mad cash grab to get thier money back before people give up totally on the game and they end up loosing money over all.
  • Options
    justkazjustkaz Member Posts: 67
    edited July 2013
    I think the problem is, Cryptic has bad and/or lazy coders and a non-existent QA team. They rely on the players to do most of the testing for them. That's why there are so many bugs and exploits in this game. They don't properly test stuff before it's put out onto live servers. Then when the bugs and exploits are found by us, it takes them several weeks and sometimes months to fix problems that players have found for them.

Then when a patch comes out and people read that minor things that nobody cared about in the first place are being fixed, they get upset. Because the major issues are being ignored and causing grief among the playerbase. People quit in droves because they see that it takes Cryptic way too long to address major concerns.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    rathelas wrote: »
    Why not the graphic and sound team fix the endless roaring of pets and mounts in PE? Change the sound so its not as annoying.
    Why not the graphic and sound team fix the clipping of weapons into your character, or clipping of cloaks into your character? Its really stupid to be riding a mount with your shield or weapon sticking into your character.
    Why not the graphic and sound team fix fashion items so that they don't completely suck and just clip or out right don't fit on your character correctly?
    Why not the graphic and sound team fix the dungeon graphics or world graphics so there aren't any holes in the floor for you to fall through?
    Why not the graphic and sound team fix animation speeds of some class skills such as GWF unstoppable (make it faster) so that it actually fires off and you don't get knocked down on your behind?

There are so many other items that should take more precedence over an update of goblin and wolves sounds. I think this is what the OP meant. Priorities and how the game is being handled.
    none of that (well, maybe the roaring but that might be intended) has anything to do with the sound and graphic designers
  • Options
    malkaviermalkavier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    huckaseven wrote: »
    none of that (well, maybe the roaring but that might be intended) has anything to do with the sound and graphic designers

Weapon clipping, fashion item stuff, and animation speed actually IS everything to do with the graphic designers, but not so much the sound guys.

Holes in the floors is all on the level designers, those naughty imps of cliff-jumping.

Cape physics has to be patched in the game engine itself, so that would be the lead developers/programmers.
    How Cryptic trolls the entire NWO playerbase: 9200 GS listed for CN, implying anyone who needs more has no skill.
  • Options
    xenobiasxenobias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Graphic designers build the graphics-in other words they draw the pretty pictures they do not code those pictures into the main engine. Most bugs with graphics are caused by conflicts in code. Conflicts graphic designers are not paid to know how to fix.

Bugs come in many sizes shapes and complexity. The easiest ones are repaired first. The toughest ones are dealt with at a time the game gets a large update. If a bug is not game breaking but requires that half of the game engine be dismantled to fix it--it will most likely not get fixed. Not to mention any bug fixes completed may cause other conflicts elsewhere that will have to be dealt with. If you can't understand this then at least try to remember that this game will ALWAYS have bugs. If they tried to release it bug free it would never be released.

The game has several departments and each aspect of the game is over seen by specific groups. Some groups may oversee several aspects. Some groups may also be handling the design of new content. Some groups (heaven forbid) may also be handling other games-running and in development. Each group is producing something, and when that something is deemed ready it goes into the game.

There are priorities on the bugs and those are based on a simple path-fix the easiest first. The others will follow.
  • Options
    cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    xenobias wrote: »
    There are priorities on the bugs and those are based on a simple path-fix the easiest first. The others will follow.

I think the point being hugely missed here is that the others are following very, very slowly (if even at all). Even if it is an issue of different departments putting out fixes, couldn't they just roll these minor fixes out along with the major ones? Even if just to stop people from complaining. It's all about the image they're putting out here. You can't expect people to know how the company works or even care; people's patience with this developer is wearing thin, and I can't say I blame them.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    So you're saying shame on the graphic, sound, animation employees for doing their job? Are you suggesting that they get laid off until the "QA" department fixes every bug in the game?

Most certainly not, for there are bugs in graphics, sound and animations. Those departments can be working on BUG FIXES, for chrissakes.
    I'm also fairly certain these departments can(and possibly do) work hand in hand with the coding and programming departments. Kinda makes sense for them to, y'know? But wait. It's Craptic. I forgot that momentarily. Each department is its own separate entity, with no contact outside their computers and cubicles.

That last sentence? Sarcasm, in case anyone was wondering.

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    *looks at the most recent patches*

Nah, they definitely aren't doing anything! I mean they aren't fixing any bugs or adjusting the game at all. Most of the holes in the Dungeon Maps haven't been removed (and the handful that remain being patched as we speak)

Nope they certainly aren't fixing any bugs.

The exploits are banged out as quickly as possible. The rest come slower after QA gets through them when they can get through them. Understand, though, what you deem important might not be what is really the most important to the game...for instance the list raethelas of "bugs" posted were mainly opinion based "bugs." Certainly I agree with some such as the howler but whether an animation is too fast or slow is completely opinion based and is not necessarily a bug.

And ultimately...nothing which has gone into the cash shop took much time, if any, away from any bugs which needed to be fixed. As some posters have been so kind to point out a lot gets borrowed from elsewhere. The tiger animations and model is largely borrowed from the Panther.

I remember people complained when the tomb spider came out which literally literally involved bringing nothing new into the game but rather used existing content. Just because things are put up for sale doesn't mean it was a laborious task to create.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Just because things are put up for sale doesn't mean it was a laborious task to create.

It does however, sometimes give the impression that Craptic is money grabbing.

I know it's a business. They have to make money. But sometimes the actions can be interpreted in a negative way. Also, having seen this kind of action out of Craptic before....I tend to go with what seems most logical. In my gut, there's this feeling. I'm sure you've had them too. That feeling says, "Money Grab". It screams it, loud and from the tallest spire around. Doesn't really matter if it's right or wrong, no company should ever let a customer near a feeling like that. Simple logic says that's bad for business, no?

Sure, there are lots of glitches and fixes going on. And sure, I'll posit that those fixes are on Craptic's list of to do things in THEIR order, not mine, nor any other customer's. It is, after all, their business.

I still have the option of voting with my wallet, however. And I choose to exercise that option when things please or do not please me.
    Right now? You can probably guess where I'm at. But, I'm not giving up yet. Soon™.

Edit: It's late, however. I am off to sleep. Perhaps with the dawning of a new day, Craptic will finally break the cycle. We shall see!!

• Options
    justkazjustkaz Member Posts: 67
    edited July 2013

The exploits are banged out as quickly as possible. The rest come slower after QA gets through them when they can get through them. Understand, though, what you deem important might not be what is really the most important to the game...for instance the list raethelas of "bugs" posted were mainly opinion based "bugs." Certainly I agree with some such as the howler but whether an animation is too fast or slow is completely opinion based and is not necessarily a bug.

Again, the problem is "as quickly as possible" isn't nearly quick enough. In fact, it's way too slow. The Castle Never window exploit went on for well over 2 weeks. This exploit was reported to Cryptic 2 days after it went public. I was one of the people that alerted them to this MAJOR exploit, yet nothing was done for over 17 days.

People happily exploited supposedly the toughest dungeon in the game and acquired dozens of the best weapons in the game and sold them on the AH for tens of millions of AD. Nobody was banned either. I know because a lot of the people I've played with that exploited this daily are still playing the game, sitting on their fully geared out toons due to this MAJOR exploit that wasn't fixed for so long.

That's just 1 example. There are countless other examples of how Cryptic simply didn't care enough to fix MAJOR exploits until weeks, almost months later. Frozen Heart speed runs went on since mid May. It was only recently fixed a little over a week ago. Took them a month and a half to fix this MAJOR exploit where you can finish this dungeon in less than 10 minutes with a good group. Spider Cave has been exploited for months too, until recently. Karrundax is STILL being exploited daily.

Are these exploits "not what is really the most important to the game?" Are they simply a list of unimportant "bugs" that should have went on for weeks and months like they have?

P.S. Castle Never is STILL being exploited to this day. The speed runs aren't as fast as they used to be, but it can be done in less than 45 minutes with a good group. Not to mention, a lot of PUG groups are doing 1st CN boss spider speed runs where it insta-kills itself. STILL not fixed...
  • Options
    skyewolf1skyewolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say graphic and animation (*true* graphic and animation, some of the things you guys are tying to graphics and animation are NOT graphics and animation) are a faster fix than code.

It's a lot simpler for the graphics team to fix the skinning issues with a set of armor than it is for the programming team to dig through 100,000 or more lines of code to find that single missing semicolon that's messing everything up. Therefor, it takes more man-hours for coding problems to get fixed than graphic ones.

Would you all rather they sit on all the graphic fixes until all the coding fixes have been finished and then just dump a 20GB patch on us once a month? Because I can guarantee that the graphic fixes are larger file sizes than the coding ones.
  • Options
    cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    skyewolf1 wrote: »
    Would you all rather they sit on all the graphic fixes until all the coding fixes have been finished and then just dump a 20GB patch on us once a month? Because I can guarantee that the graphic fixes are larger file sizes than the coding ones.

I can guarantee it's gonna be a large "patch" either way because Cryptic requires that we download the entire file every time instead of the difference and then truly patching it.
  • Options
    skyewolf1skyewolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    cinj216 wrote: »
    I can guarantee it's gonna be a large "patch" either way because Cryptic requires that we download the entire file every time instead of the difference and then truly patching it.

Aside from the large balancing patch a bit ago I've never had a patch much larger than 250mb.
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ...a back burner to store content, which makes this look even more like a money grab.
    If they really want this to be a money grab they could try putting stuff I would actually want to buy into the zen store. How many freakin' mounts can they expect to sell to the kiddies?
  • Options
    koldmiserkoldmiser Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131
    edited July 2013
    I wanna know why the janitorial staff is still cleaning and not fixing the cloak bug!!!
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    cinj216 wrote: »

Are people still being confused on how the patcher reads?

The top line is the filesize of the patched files after patching, the bottom line is the amount downloaded, if you watch carefully then you'll notice that the two never match up after the first few seconds.
  • Options
    badxideasbadxideas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 42
    edited July 2013
    realbo wrote: »
    Just wondering.

Congrats on finding a way to complain about improvements being made to the game. I know hating things they like is what all of the cool kids are doing these days, but why don't you challenge yourself by getting out of mom's basement and learning how to think for yourself?
    Amillion Bucks L60 obsolete GF
    Amillion Dollars L60 'easy mode' GWF
  • Options
    rishzothrishzoth Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    koldmiser wrote: »
    I wanna know why the janitorial staff is still cleaning and not fixing the cloak bug!!!

The HR staffers are handling the GG spawn camping situation. The President/CEO is personally coding all the fixes. The mail room staff is writing all the new upcoming content. The duty of the programmers is to plan the annual company picnic. The art department is in charge of all marketing aspects.

• Options
    griz024griz024 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    rishzoth wrote: »
    The HR staffers are handling the GG spawn camping situation. The President/CEO is personally coding all the fixes. The mail room staff is writing all the new upcoming content. The duty of the programmers is to plan the annual company picnic. The art department is in charge of all marketing aspects.

I know you are being sarcastic, but considering some of the bugs that have been in this game for months, i think you got it right.

Look at cws. Several of their feats dont work, the ones that do work only affect some of the skills they should alter/improve, and some do the exact opposite of what they should.

Case in point- cws combat advantage on crit feat. It gives people combat advantage vs you!!

Im just happy my cw was only in the 30s by the time i realized the build i wanted wont work purely b/c critical feats/abilities didnt function correctly.

If devs mixed in new zen store garbage with a bug fix here and there, im sure most people would be much happier and this post would ever have existed.
  • Options
    chidy1776chidy1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    cause the artwork and model staff is the same as the coding staff, right?

For details regarding this issue please refer to your sig...
    Paul 60 guardian fighter on mindflayer.

Rising Star, fun friendly, community focused guild on mindflayer. We strive to help each other and enjoy the game together. Talk to me for info, or feel free to check and join our community at risingstarneverwinter.enjin.com
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    chidy1776 wrote: »
    For details regarding this issue please refer to your sig...

That could be an art error, it could also be a coding error causing the model to be scaled incorrectly.

That's the wonderful thing about 3d models, they can be rescaled without the art team being involved if necessary.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    That could be an art error, it could also be a coding error causing the model to be scaled incorrectly.

That's the wonderful thing about 3d models, they can be rescaled without the art team being involved if necessary.
    its an effect from one of the lesser alchemical potions to be exact :)
    not a bug at all
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    its an effect from one of the lesser alchemical potions to be exact :)
    not a bug at all

That's even better.

It fact it proves my point perfectly showing that models are so easy to rescale that you can actually rescale them on the fly.

Anyone recall the giant bug in Champions Online that could rescale your character to be larger than the buildings in Millennium City?

That wasn't an art issue, that was a coding issue with a specific low level item ingame although it caused a similar issue to the one in huckaseven's sig although on a much larger scale.