test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best time to recast Shield

morthanosmorthanos Member Posts: 41 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Library
I do not like Steel Time or Shield due to the long casting time for the former, the need to recast the latter before using it, and the fact you have to be "in the thick of it" for both.

In the chaos of an Epic dungeon, if ANYTHING goes wrong, it becomes extremely difficult to cast either spell.

I'm curious how the more experienced/skilled handle this problem. I know the best time to cast Steel Time is generally just as the mobs land after Arcane Singularity.

When is the best/preferred time to recast Shield? What tactics/strategy do you employ to deal with this problem?
Post edited by morthanos on

Comments

• copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Recharging your Shield is generally done right after Steal Time. Steal Time buys you plenty of time to recast shield. If Steal Time is not available, then don't worry about it. Then next Singularity will buy you enough time to recharge Shield while they are being pulled, AND still time left to pulse before they are up in it.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • apehceapehce Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You recast Shield whenever able to, it's a no-brainer.

A tip on casting them would be: You can cast channeling spells after jumping.
    Try: While running, jump and start casting shield/steal time. It gives you like half a second of additional movement before standing still.

Also, be careful not to bring yourself in a situation where there are a swarm of enemies and you got your big aoe encounters on cd. What I want to say is, don't waste them on just a few enemies so you won't be caught unprepared when there are lots of 'em
  • cleanorcleanor Member Posts: 40
    edited July 2013
    I refresh as soon as CD is over. The important lesson is that if a red circle/cone appears under you mid-refresh, tele out of it and restart. It's always better to move and interrupt if you are in danger.
  • dexymandexyman Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Its just experience with these spells that gives you the best timing to use them. As has been mentioned casting shield after steal time is often the best time to do it. IMHO become comfortable with these spells they often (not always) make the backbone of your rotation in dungeon runs. Infact you'll probably get ppl screaming at you if you don't. one little tip with steal time, map your teleport to a "press" on the mouse wheel. this allows you to teleport in drop steal time and easliy teleport without getting caught.

It may feel a bit unnatural to start with but stick with it after a few days you'll wonder how you did without them. hope that helps.
  • shultzillashultzilla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    AS then Shield/Shield Repulse. Depending on how many mobs are sucked in, you can cast Shield Repulse, have no CD, cast shield again, AS will expand and allow you to drop a 2nd Shield Repulse, resulting in a fully charged AP bar and allowing you to chain cast AS.

As cleanor said, refresh Shield when it's off CD. You should always be going into a pull with Shield Repulse on standby and refreshing whenever the opportunity arises, which is usually after an AS cast.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    dexyman wrote: »
    one little tip with steal time, map your teleport to a "press" on the mouse wheel. this allows you to teleport in drop steal time and easliy teleport without getting caught.

It may feel a bit unnatural to start with but stick with it after a few days you'll wonder how you did without them. hope that helps.

I would not recommend anything that speeds up casting of Steal Time after a teleport.

There is a longstanding, if not the most critical bug of CW class in PvE, that immediately casting Steal Time after a teleport results in no effect and the Steal Time going on cooldown.

As for recasting Shield, I normally do it after an AS or Steal Time.

If you have enough Defense (2k) and know the type of mobs you get so, you can CC the ones that cause the most damage, you can do huge pulls (15+ mobs easily) as long as keep moving and re-cast Shield after one of the above. The only time this is generally not viable is when there are too many distant ranged mobs that hit super hard, they all somehow have aggro on you and your CC cannot stop them all casting.
  • johnygwapojohnygwapo Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    cast anything after red circle/cone appears :)
  • dexymandexyman Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    I would not recommend anything that speeds up casting of Steal Time after a teleport.

There is a longstanding, if not the most critical bug of CW class in PvE, that immediately casting Steal Time after a teleport results in no effect and the Steal Time going on cooldown.

yes your right about the bug....but you only have to wait a second or 2 after teleport to negate this issue.
  • amlawddamlawdd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    dexyman wrote: »
    yes your right about the bug....but you only have to wait a second or 2 after teleport to negate this issue.

Dam I thought I imagined that... :eek: