test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

NPC interactions are apparently WORKING for me

elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Just logged in, patched, ran to the bounty guy and the seals guy in Blackdagger and everything is fine.

Those of you having trouble, make sure you disabled on demand patching and try again.
Post edited by elawyn on

Comments

• Options
    elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I didn't have any problems with the NPCs and I have on demand patching enabled. Can't play though since I'm still rubberbanding badly.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Tried your suggestion but still have the same issues as before. Hopefully it will work for other people though.
  • Options
    hybris13hybris13 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    elawyn wrote: »
    Those of you having trouble, make sure you disabled on demand patching and try again.
    Doesn't work :(
  • Options
    raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yea it's weird, some folks are having this issue, some aren't.

I wonder if there was some sort of optimization in this patch that's messing with some folks video card drivers.
  • Options
    skjutepigskjutepig Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just logged in, patched, ran to the bounty guy and the seals guy in Blackdagger and everything is fine.

disabled on demand patching, now its patching a 2gb file.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Also , in the launcher, after logging in but before hitting play. options - language.

Mine is English. Check that to see if it's actually a 'localization' issue.
  • Options
    c2n2c2n2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Biggest reason why this game shouldn't have been taken out of beta. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why it works for some and not for others.
  • Options
    zerokunoichi7zerokunoichi7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's not a solution if you never had the problem to begin with and change something. How is turning off on demand patching related to a component inside a dialogue window anyways? Someone has to replicate the bug or have it and find a solution by doing a lot of different cfgs changes.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Knowing that I don't have the problem tells us all that it's not 'everybody'.

So Im simlpy stating what I've done and NOT getting the problem. On demand patching sometimes causes 'fun'.

What else? Nvidia GTX680 maxed out, all graphics maxed out, latest whql drivers.

If we can all compare things, perhaps we can figure out a workaround for the folks having problems, or at least let the devs know the difference between those of us who are NOT having problems and those who are.
  • Options
    d3l337d3l337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes this bug can be due to new localizations! Try to change it to your mother language it will be patched again it may fix problem.
  • Options
    cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
    edited June 2013
    For players whose NPC dialogue options work fine, which language version are you playing?
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For players whose NPC dialogue options work fine, which language version are you playing?

English.
    /10char
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    dodecadodeca Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013

So Im simlpy stating what I've done and NOT getting the problem. On demand patching sometimes causes 'fun'.

What else? Nvidia GTX680 maxed out, all graphics maxed out, latest whql drivers.

If we can all compare things, perhaps we can figure out a workaround for the folks having problems, or at least let the devs know the difference between those of us who are NOT having problems and those who are.

The source of the issue has pretty much been established in the Bugs section now - it's connected to Keyboard language.

If your NPCs work, it's because your system is using English (U.S.) keyboard input. If they don't work, that's what you need to change - just tried it myself and I'm having no more issues.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

U.S. English
  • Options
    zerokunoichi7zerokunoichi7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

What? That makes no sense at all. I can just say the same exact thing and say "Oh my mouse sensitivity is 0.6 instead of 1.2". You don't have the issue and you may as well post every single detail of your cfgs and hardware specs and other options before just pointing things out 1 by 1.

If you actually made a list of what you have on or off and someone who has this problem test it one by one we'd get to the solution.
    What you listed is just something random.

Here, I don't have the problem either and I have post-processing checked on. I am basically doing the same thing you are.
    Oh, also I have all settings maxed out and run FPS uncapped.
    Oh I also have a GTX 780 which almost all the people on the forums can't afford.

Also, it's not a language issue since the people who report this issue run English.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    English here too.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    What? That makes no sense at all.

Bit harsh. The OP has made the point that this is not an universal thing so at least we have more information on the bug.

*shrug*
  • Options
    vampir888888vampir888888 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Changing language (English to German in my case) didn't help.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Also English U.S.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Bit harsh. The OP has made the point that this is not an universal thing so at least we have more information on the bug.

*shrug*

thanks. Simply trying to eliminate as many possible things as fast as possible. Folks who are not having the problem probably aren't reading forums , looking down in the bug reports section and so on. Someone else suggested graphics drivers, that's easily and quickly eliminated (and fairly important since if something breaks backwards compatibility it's a massive problem).

Looks like it took less than a half hour to figure out the cause, between this thread and the ones elsewhere. So the devs (or us players) can post the workaround(s) which will help folks out.
  • Options
    d3l337d3l337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    d3l337 wrote: »
    Yes this bug can be due to new localizations! Try to change it to your mother language it will be patched again it may fix problem.
    Not changing language, nor patching new language nor disabling ondemand patching
    helped. Also resetted all game settings. That did not helped either.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    d3l337 wrote: »
    Not changing language, nor patching new language nor disabling ondemand patching
    helped. Also resetted all game settings. That did not helped either.

Did you try this?

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?375712-Possible-Solution-to-blank-NPC-Dialogues
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    This worked for me and was originally posted by Imathi here:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?375551-Cant-talk-to-npc-after-patch&p=4763252&viewfull=1#post4763252
    imathil wrote: »
    All NPCs
    English
    WITH US International Keyboard under Windows settings...resetting to straight US keyboard and rebooting game fixed issue for me but I had to change the DEFAULT keyboard to US not just switch keyboard setttings.

Hope it helps other people too. If it does please consider bumping this thread:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?375712-Possible-Solution-to-blank-NPC-Dialogues

so everyone can benefit ;)
  • Options
    fabaelfabael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited June 2013
    It is to with the keyboard input changes, appears to affect certain keyboard types for uk people if you change to US then start the game it fixes this once it is fixed you can switch back.

Nothing to do with the patcher....
  • Options
    havkarrohavkarro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Pls tell me what u got inside Neverwinter/Neverwinter folder.

I know there should be two folders. I got only one - called 'live'.

It can be cause of patch problems - turning things back.
  • Options
    baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    fabael wrote: »
    It is to with the keyboard input changes, appears to affect certain keyboard types for uk people if you change to US then start the game it fixes this once it is fixed you can switch back.

Nothing to do with the patcher....

Confirmed on this, wasnt working so changed to US..tested and working so changed back to UK and still fine..
  • Options
    havkarrohavkarro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Confirmed on this, wasnt working so changed to US..tested and working so changed back to UK and still fine..

For me its not working on ENG / US keyboard set as default and ENG / US lang active nor PL.
  • Options
    fauust01fauust01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I am playing English Version and its broken - also t2 Gaunt chest was broken for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, it's something with the already dodgy localisation code interacting with the NPCs. The NPCs only work in US English locale right now.

(I am in UK English)

That code is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> anyway, if someone with a french locale triggers a boss cutscene, everyone gets a french title, rather than the appropriate language for their client. The localisation code has been lamentably bad all along. Hilarious that it's even more broken now :)