test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Greater Lightning Enchant Insane on CW

stoxbox1stoxbox1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Library
So this buffed my damage by sooooooo much. There seems to be something weird with it though and I'm not sure if it's a bug, but like with steal time on training dummies it's supposed to be a max of 9 chains of lightning, but instead I average about 40. What appears to be happening is that lightning procs storm spell and storm spell procs lightning. All tics from dots proc it as well on multiple targets, so icy terrain, steal time, shield, coi, all proc insane lightning. The chain range is far though so it might get you in trouble at times, but if you want to boost your DPS by a TON check it out.
Post edited by stoxbox1 on

Comments

• fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Did you go straight to the Greater? Does it do the same thing with the Lesser, version?

Hmm, the tooltip for the lesser seems to imply it has 0 chaining. So, this is strictly a Greater version effect?
  • lupita170lupita170 Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    stoxbox1 wrote: »
    So this buffed my damage by sooooooo much. There seems to be something weird with it though and I'm not sure if it's a bug, but like with steal time on training dummies it's supposed to be a max of 9 chains of lightning, but instead I average about 40. What appears to be happening is that lightning procs storm spell and storm spell procs lightning. All tics from dots proc it as well on multiple targets, so icy terrain, steal time, shield, coi, all proc insane lightning. The chain range is far though so it might get you in trouble at times, but if you want to boost your DPS by a TON check it out.

I'd like to see some numbers to back this up.
  • everwindgaleeverwindgale Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited June 2013
    I could only afford creating a normal lightning, but it does seem to proc and arc a lot. I imagine that the higher level one can really go to town. I am not sure if it will proc on the storm spell., but it works great on AOE DoTs. My goal is to make a lightning themed CW. Not sre I can pull it off and be effective, but it sounds fun. Too bad I spent all my AD getting the normal lightning. I have the thundehead armor enchant ready to made, just cant afford the blue wards.
  • takata87takata87 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've done a lot of testing on the test server myself. I compared Perfect vorpal with perfect lightning on those 3 dummies using a parser to check the actual dmg output. Lightning is nice of course and will do about 5-10% more dmg output. However, you will end up generating a lot of threat and im not so sure that a perfect lightning is worth the investment. I prefer going with vorpal, as it will be very good also in pvp and still do well in pve.
  • copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    takata87 wrote: »
    I've done a lot of testing on the test server myself. I compared Perfect vorpal with perfect lightning on those 3 dummies using a parser to check the actual dmg output. Lightning is nice of course and will do about 5-10% more dmg output. However, you will end up generating a lot of threat and im not so sure that a perfect lightning is worth the investment. I prefer going with vorpal, as it will be very good also in pvp and still do well in pve.

Of course that 5-10% could vary greatly depending on build/spec/playstyle. What rotation/powers were you testing it with? Did you have Storm Spell? Elemental Empowerment? Using AoEs on all your Encounters? Chilling Cloud as main At-Will? Obviously the more AoE oriented you are, them more it will put out.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • hellorcohellorco Member Posts: 82
    edited June 2013
    Perfect vorpal is 50% crit severity which is a huge boost. It's about a 30% boost on every crit (with eots and 15% base crit you end up with ~30% effective, you gain less the more crit you have)
    Does lightning chain caps? does it have a hidden cd? It states it has 50% x 3 chains and will boost lightning damage by 20%. If sudden storm wasn't bugged it may be a good investment for certain builds, otherwise it's only storm spell to be buffed, right?
  • everwindgaleeverwindgale Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited June 2013
    hellorco wrote: »
    Perfect vorpal is 50% crit severity which is a huge boost. It's about a 30% boost on every crit (with eots and 15% base crit you end up with ~30% effective, you gain less the more crit you have)
    Does lightning chain caps? does it have a hidden cd? It states it has 50% x 3 chains and will boost lightning damage by 20%. If sudden storm wasn't bugged it may be a good investment for certain builds, otherwise it's only storm spell to be buffed, right?

I think you are reading the text wrong. It doesn't boost just lightning damage it ads the % amount of lightning damage to all of your damage + the chance to chain to add more damage. So lesser is just basically a 10% damage boost. Once you get to normal and above you have a 50% chance to get a chain lightning attack. This really adds up with lots of mobs and an aoe.

I am not sure it is working properly with all of the daily and encounter powers but it is sure fun with icy terrain....I am not sure it will trigger of a storm spell proc, but if so that would be awesome.
    edited June 2013
    Wow really? that's beyond stupidly good then.. 20% damage or 20% weapon damage? and the chain is dealign the same damage or is it a fixed one?
    edited June 2013
    "You deal an additional 12% of weapon damage as Lightning damage with every strike. This damage chains 1 time at a 50% chance for each chain."

So on my orb of the gladiator mage with a range of 626-725 it works out to be around an additional 80 points of damage or so. I think the chain is for the same amount.

How weapon damage and the spell damage interact I have no idea......it is one of those weird mechanics I never really looked into.
    edited June 2013
    Just try the procs on a single MM and on something like RoE and che ck if there is a difference.
    edited June 2013
    hellorco wrote: »
    Just try the procs on a single MM and on something like RoE and check if there is a difference.

No real difference, all between around the 80 range which is as expected for the orb I own.
  • johnygwapojohnygwapo Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    im using lesser lightning atm
    600-800 dmg adds 76-80, which is not bad for a lesser lightning. gonna save up for greater lightning :D
  • exarkun007exarkun007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 113 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    What exactly does it proc from? Will it proc storm spell? I'm halfway working on a greater atm.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    it procs 6 times on conduit (to everything it hits). 8 times with icy terrain, 6 times with steal time. before this patch.

havent noticed this 40 times using steal time recently though. And it didnt used to proc stormspell. steal time always did (whilst channeling) you sure it is not that?

Also i ahve to agree with some, it is great for damage/aoeing. but the amount of agro you draw, because your damage is so high. it can become problematic... with no aoe limit, things are very messy if you run a group without a tank to watch yourself, so many times with just icy terrain down i can agro everything before the tank gets a chance.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • vindicitvindicit Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So any results with the Lightning enchant that only chains once? Is it good enough or do you need to get the perfect one? Or has anyone with the Lesser version have any results?
  • malkaviermalkavier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As will all enchants, you want Normal/Greater/Perfect.

BTW, the cost on a Perfect will be $285 USD if you are starting with just shards.
    How Cryptic trolls the entire NWO playerbase: 9200 GS listed for CN, implying anyone who needs more has no skill.
  • exarkun007exarkun007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 113 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Not spending any RL money on it. Run t2, sell loot, buy shards/coal wards. Sure it's slower, but what the hell else do I have to do in this game?