test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need Advice: GWF (Destroyer) PvE build

kelbornxkelbornx Member Posts: 83 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Here's a link to a power simulator for my build.

As you can see, I'm Half-Orc... and I put my +2/+2 into STR and DEX. With the recent patch, I wish I did STR/CON but too late now as I'm lvl 46 and not rerolling. I bought a retrain token and plan to use it to move my other ability points from DEX into CON. I plan to end up with 26/19/17, or 25/19/18. Not sure if 1% dmg or 1% crit chance is worth more. That CON will give me 9% ArP, so I'd only need 1450-ish for the 24% cap on bosses.

With that said, would Disciple of War (25% of Rec = ArP) be a good feat investment? Or should I spend those points elsewhere? I still have 5 feat points that I'm undecided on. I'm torn between Deep Gash, Focused Destroyer, and Powerful Challenge. Deep Gash looks like it'd be a nice bleed... but 15% of Power really isn't that much. Focused Destroyer lets you stack up Destroyer when hitting any number of targets, which is great since at 3 points and 3 stacks that's +12% damage. But Powerful Challenge is 15% damage against Marked targets... which to my knowledge Guardian Fighters should be keeping as many targets Marked as possible at all times, yes? I know that as a GWF I have some skills that Mark as well. Just not sure which of these Feats is worth more. I'm obviously going with a "Slam Spam" build, hence Battle Awareness. Additionally, how does Student of the Sword stack with ArP? Is it added to it like the CON bonus, or is it separate like the Weapon Master Strike debuff?

Speaking of Destroyer... what's "the best" combination of Class Features? Destroyer + Steel Blitz? Steel Blitz + Weapon Master? Weapon Master + Destroyer? Assuming Destroyer is Feated, of course. While leveling I've been using Steel Blitz and Weapon Master and it's working pretty good so far, but I'm not sure if that occasional damage proc is worth more than a 12% dmg buff, and same for the 7.5% crit chance.

As for my loadout: Slam + Cresendo, Sure Strike + Weapon Master's Strike are obvious. For Encouters I plan on rotating Indomitable Battle Strike, Flourish, Restoring Strike, Takedown, Roar, and Not So Fast as needed. Some input on when each is "optimal" would be nice.

Also, a few points I spent in the Powers tree in that build are of course fillers. I don't ever plan on using Reaping Strike, but I'd rather have something like that at 3 points should it be useful later than have a bunch of 1 point Powers hanging around.

Thanks for reading this Wall 'o Text, and for any and all replies! :D

Edit: Should mention that I plan to use Takedown mainly in PvP and soloing.
Post edited by kelbornx on

Comments

• kelbornxkelbornx Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Bump. Also considering this Instigator build. Feats for this one are pretty obvious, though I'm still torn between the three Class Features.

I really like the looks of Destroyer's final feat... but Instigator kind of seems more useful for AoE DPS, which is what this class leans towards. Thoughts?
  • drungorthdrungorth Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2013
    Hey, it really depends on what you wanna do.

For now investigator does fine aoe damage...destroyer is useless...sentinel is ok and OP for pvp if you go full tank + tene enchant.

Just did a T2 with all 11k+ gs and finished 2nd dps not that far from rogue....i m a pvp senti player...so yeah maybe a bit op ^^
  • belladanbelladan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Disciple of War is gear dependent. If you don't have a min of 1200 recovery, then you aren't going to see much gain to you ArP tree.

A number of your abilities is crit dependent, so Dex is actually still quite good for a GWF.

Feats are situational. Some delves will have to use Bravery, others will be a dps option, while still others will be that one that grants damage immunity. (due to spawn quantities and heal/threat issues.)
  • kelbornxkelbornx Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    With DEX vs CON I guess it's more of a trade... whatever you lose in one you're going to have to make up for in gear for the other. The most DEX I can get with my stat roll is 22, so I only lose 4-5 points depending if I want that extra 1 STR or not. The reason I wanted to switch to CON for two reasons: bonus hp is nice, and the resistance ignore now stacks with ArP, so that's less ArP rating I need to get which would allow me to put more focus on, say, Recovery... which with Disciple of War would further reduce the amount of ArP rating I need to get.

I'm also still torn on Steel Blitz vs Destroyer vs Weapon Master. That's 7.5% crit chance from Weapon Master, 12% bonus damage from Destroyer, and a chance for X damage from Steel Blitz.

Which brings me back to Focused Destroyer vs Deep Gash vs Disciple of War. Deep Gash doesn't seem to be a whole lot of damage, especially if adds die fast. Disciple of War, as stated, is only good with a moderate amount of Recovery (as I was already aware of). Focused Destroyer lets you get the 12% dmg bonus on single and dual target fights, but is that even worth feating for since I'm "supposed" to be an AoE class?
  • mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Destroyer is what I'd consider a sustained fighter. A well built Destroyer is almost impossible for monsters to kill in PVE, while dealing decent AOE damage to everything around him.

bgd1mo.jpg

My build is based around getting my action points and determination up as quickly as possible, as well as providing some decent utility. The fast determination gain means that I can quickly activate Unstoppable to prevent CC while I revive allies at any time. I should also mention that I'm sitting on 3200 recovery.

I may not deal the most damage, but my build allows me to help my team by a lot.
    -For the TR, I can debuff defenses, help with damage, and soften targets.
    -For the CW, I can help push enemies with Roar and quickly dispose of any squishies gathered with Singularity.
    -For the DC, Slam works well to slow everything around me, allowing my DC much more room to operate.
    -For the GF, I can aid in reapplying Mark as well as taking some of the aggro off of him.
    -For all classes, I live through impossible situations to revive them through CC.

Final notes: Lifesteal is invaluable on a Destroyer GWF. In a decent sized mob with Unstoppable and Slam active, you'll gain anywhere from 200 health to around 1k+ health per second, by yourself.

Building Con on a Destroyer GWF is pretty nice. When combined with Disciple of War and 3000 Recovery, you can easily get 24% armor pen without ever investing items into it.
  • gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    @OP
    I have good news. You no longer have to stress over not going Str/Con with your racial points. The Half-Orc's racial bonus points are Dex/Str or Dex/Con. So you wouldn't have been able to roll Str/Con with a Half-Orc anyways.
  • xkalmaxxkalmax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    @kelbornx, sent u a reply via PM, hope it helps.