test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What's gonna happen with the GWF if they give us the Barbarian?

vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I made this thread because in the future I am pretty sure that the barbarian class will be introduced as either: Rageblood Barbarian or Thaneborn Barbarian.
Both of them are Strikers, but the Rageblood is Defender (secondary) and the Thaneborn is Leader (secondary).
So, since what everyone non-familiarized with d&d 4e, me included, thinks on the Great Weapon Fighter as it's described in the official neverwinter wikia: "The Great Weapon Fighter is an unstoppable force of damage and steel, skilled in using the weight of a greatsword to dispatch those that stand in the way. The epitome of strength, the Great Weapon Fighter is also resilient enough to defend allies in need."
I wonder, what's going to happen if they give us the Barbarian, in the future? Is there a plan to differentiate him of the GWF?, because even IF I have a level 60 GWF, I will not think it twice before than building myself a rageblood barbarian... man, even the name sounds <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>! :p
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
Post edited by vold316 on

Comments

• Options
    ceryndrionceryndrion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I very much doubt that Barbarians will be added as a class, as one of the considerations that they have to take into account when developing a new class, is not to copy things already done by the 'other' D&D based MMO..
    I reject your reality and I substitute my own!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
    [ Rules of Conduct - Terms - FAQ - Support Centre - Important Stuff ]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ceryndrion wrote: »
    I very much doubt that Barbarians will be added as a class, as one of the considerations that they have to take into account when developing a new class, is not to copy things already done by the 'other' D&D based MMO..

Yeah, that's an option. But with that logic, then the Paladin (Avenging Paladin / Protecting Paladin) will not be an option either because both build options are really close to the Fighter's.
    IMO, they will add the Barbarian and/or the Paladin; I just don't know what they are going to do with the GWF.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    druidofdisasterdruidofdisaster Member Posts: 60
    edited June 2013
    Paladin and barbarian should be paragon paths.
    I'm not saying it was humans, but it was humans.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Paladin and barbarian should be paragon paths.

Not at all!

If they get added, they will be added as a build option of the class (Avengin Paladin, Rageblood Barbarian, etc). Paragon Paths are something different, cryptic has already added 1 paragon path of each class to the current classes; Iron Vanguard and Swordmaster are both a paragon path of the Fighter, they fit the current build options added of the fighter: Iron Vanguard - GF ; Swordmaster - GWF.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    edited June 2013
    vold316 wrote: »
    Not at all!
    A GWF with all the toughness feats and with the Destroyer paragon path is a barbarian. Max HP, scale mail and a two handed weapon that deals heavy damage is what barbarians are all about.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nothing will happen to the GWF if they decide to add a Barbarian. They will simply have to find a way to make the Barbarian different from the GWF.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Paragon Paths are something different, cryptic has already added 1 paragon path of each class to the current classes; Iron Vanguard and Swordmaster are both a paragon path of the Fighter, they fit the current build options added of the fighter: Iron Vanguard - GF ; Swordmaster - GWF.
    Then what's with the new paragon classes "Coming soon!" icon in the paragon choice menu if you won't be able to choose from more than one paragon path?
  • Options
    kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

I this were true we wouldn't have fighters, cleric, wizard or rogue.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    kevinf08 wrote: »
    SO, what's makes a barbarian different considering they use the same gear that GWF uses? Bad manners?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Then what's with the new paragon classes "Coming soon!" icon in the paragon choice menu if you won't be able to choose from more than one paragon path?

It is about adding paragon paths of the respective class, not adding a class inside of a class, because that makes no sense. Are you saying that they are going to add the Bard and Druid as a paragon path of the Cleric, and the Monk as a paragon path of the Rogue? I really doubt it man. :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    edited June 2013
    It is about adding paragon paths of the respective class, not adding a class inside of a class, because that makes no sense.
    Weapon master is a prestige class in D&D. I'll quote myself because it's the last reply on the previous page and others may be too lazy to check the entire thread.
    SO, what's makes a barbarian different considering they use the same gear that GWF uses? Bad manners?
  • Options
    vilocviloc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 55
    edited June 2013
    pretty sure barbarians are light armor users

Barbarians would have a different tab skill like rage and paragon paths =/= classes
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

So far they have taken paragon paths from 4th edition and used them as the paragon paths for the class they go with. They haven't used 4th edition classes as paragon paths and I don't see them switching to that.

For example, for the rogue the available paragon paths from the player's handbook are cat burglar, daggermaster, master infiltrator, and shadow assasin. The two martial power books added in even more paragon paths for the rogue and other martial classes.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Well, first of all, the barbarians are Strikers, not defenders. Secondly, if they were the same they wouldn't have created them in D&D 4e. Also, they could be added using two weapons, dual axes. :drool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Well, first of all, the barbarians are Strikers, not defenders. Secondly, if they were the same they wouldn't have created them in D&D 4e. Also, they could be added using two weapons, dual axes. :drool:
    Try telling a barbarian with 12 HD per level and 18 constitution he can't tank.
    viloc wrote: »
    pretty sure barbarians are light armor users
    They typically wear scale mail or a breastplate and are medium armor users.
    Barbarians would have a different tab skill like rage and paragon paths =/= classes
    Weapon master is a D&D class.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Weapon master is a prestige class in D&D. I'll quote myself because it's the last reply on the previous page and others may be too lazy to check the entire thread.

Ah, I understand now you mistake. This game is not based on previous versions of D&D, its based on d&d 4e, so there are not prestige classes; the multiclassing is not the same either. If they add the Barbarian as a multiclassing paragon path of the Fighter(as it happens in D&D 4e), it would be a mess. I really doubt that they'd add the rageblood barbarian as a multiclassing paragon path of the GWF; because that would probably render useless the other paths.

The paragon paths will be added to improve the depth of the character customization; that is where this game will start to shine, imho. But they will never add paragon path multiclassing, that'd be awesome but too hard to balance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Try telling a barbarian with 12 HD per level and 18 constitution he can't tank.They typically wear scale mail or a breastplate and are medium armor users.

Weapon master is a D&D class.

Weapon master isn't a class in 4th edition, which is what this game is based on.

In 4th edition barbarians are limited to cloth, leather, and hide and are primal strikers.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Try telling a barbarian with 12 HD per level and 18 constitution he can't tank.

Not anymore. :(
    They are strikers now, not defenders. Even if you manage to build a tanky version of the new 4e barbarian, it won't be as good as the main Defenders of the game, imo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    musashinokamimusashinokami Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Maybe the GWF will then become what he truely is : a defender able to dps. If implemented, the barbarian would certainly be something more resilient than the rogue with less dps, like a tanky rogue.
    Compared to the GWF, the barbarian should be more mobile, more deadly but less resilient. Barbarian should be able to become something like berzerk, which should allow them to drain life for example, helping them to kill enemies one by one. Whereas the GWF would still have its defender role : multi targetting enemies to slow/interrupt them, hurt them and finally kill them while soaking fair amount of damage.
    Yeah barabarian could totally have a place in this game without taking the GWF or TR roles. People willing to play a more ballsy rogue or a more deadly single target oriented GWF would definitely pick a barbarian.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited June 2013

For the purposes of this game, the difference will be whatever the developers say it is, which we won't know until the class is released, assuming it will be released at some point.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Maybe the GWF will then become what he truely is : a defender able to dps. If implemented, the barbarian would certainly be something more resilient than the rogue with less dps, like a tanky rogue.
    Compared to the GWF, the barbarian should be more mobile, more deadly but less resilient. Barbarian should be able to become something like berzerk, which should allow them to drain life for example, helping them to kill enemies one by one. Whereas the GWF would still have its defender role : multi targetting enemies to slow/interrupt them, hurt them and finally kill them while soaking fair amount of damage.
    Yeah barabarian could totally have a place in this game without taking the GWF or TR roles. People willing to play a more ballsy rogue or a more deadly single target oriented GWF would definitely pick a barbarian.

That's what I would expect to happen; Although, I find it a bit silly the fact that they introduced the Half-Orc as a race and not the Barbarian as the obvious 2h class, which is in my opinion, more appealing than the GWF (given that both Half-Orc and Barbarian, are part of the PH2, and not PH). I think that it was a bad move from their part; besides, since they included 2 build options of the fighter, this also gives us (or me at least), the idea of that they may add additional build options for other current classes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,715 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The Barbarian and the GWF will be stepping on each others' toes a lot, true (they do so in multiple versions of D&D, both generally vying for the role of tough guy with a big weapon). 4e's Barbarian gives him a bit more of a mystic aspect, calling on the spirits of his ancestors and of the wild to empower his rage. It's been a while since I've looked at the 4e Barbarian in practice, though, so I can't really give much insight as to what else they do differently.

I think the Neverwinter Barbarian may focus more on single-target DPS, as opposed to the GWF's AoE-heavy DPS.
  • Options
    osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Oh about 1d12 HP :D
  • Options
    ceryndrionceryndrion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kevinf08 wrote: »

We don't, we have "guardian fighter" "devoted cleric" "control wizard" and "trickster rogue". Which by way of being based on 4th edition D&D and not 3.5e are subtley different..

Furthermore the 4th Edition's Player's Handbook differs from that of 3rd Edition by excluding the Barbarian, Bard, Druid, Monk, and Sorcerer (though these classes returned in the second and third editions of the Player's Handbook) in favor of the new Warlock and Warlord classes.

So I still doubt that Barbarian will show up anytime soon.
    I reject your reality and I substitute my own!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
    [ Rules of Conduct - Terms - FAQ - Support Centre - Important Stuff ]
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Really hmm,,,, thinks really hard,,,, they did 2 builds of fighter which funny enough that other dnd mmo has!

On the whole though I agree don't hold your breath even if I don't think the reason listed here is valid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pilf3r wrote: »
    Really hmm,,,, thinks really hard,,,, they did 2 builds of fighter which funny enough that other dnd mmo has!

On the whole though I agree don't hold your breath even if I don't think the reason listed here is valid.

I think things will come in time, with about 47 potential "suggested builds" at Cryptics disposal to make new classes from I think a lot could happen. Then again, we already know the Archer Ranger and Two-Weapon Ranger have both been confirmed by devs along with the Scourge Warlock(see H2orats posts last year and the Neverwinter Online Crossroads Show Podcast Episode 2)
    I find it less likely to get certain classes such as the Barbarian or Paladin soon, if they are working on anymore than the confirmed I would bet on a Druid most likely one with Animal Shape as this would fit the Fey Wild Module and potions can already give Animal Shape(see "unstable potion")
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Awww I miss playing Barbarians. A fighter is not my Thor-wanna character. Aethelmar Halricson you will live again...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]