test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Getting into D&D. Thinking of trying this game. Should I?

discotrashdiscotrash Member Posts: 17 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi all,

I've recently been thinking about getting into D&D and after talking to a few players on forums etc, I thought I might try Neverwinter out. I was a big fan of the HeroQuest game as a kid and spent many hours playing that. The idea of dice rolling and dungeon running really appeals to me!

I did try this game when it got released but at the time I was tied up playing another title at the time so deiced to return to Neverwinter at a later date.

Are there any guilds out there made up of D&D/HeroQuest players who currently play Neverwinter at all? I'm from the UK and not really had much spare time to look around the forums here. I do have a lot of experience when it comes to MMO games but I'm kinda looking for something that's a little more mature in terms of community.

Thanks
Post edited by discotrash on

Comments

• Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is about as close to D&D as Los Angeles is to Pluto. This is a heavily instanced, tiny world MMO with a few D&D references thrown in for flavor.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    This is about as close to D&D as Los Angeles is to Pluto. This is a heavily instanced, tiny world MMO with a few D&D references thrown in for flavor.
    Okay many thanks.

I've been looking at D&D Online from Turbine and thought about giving that a try.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Of course you should try it. The game is totally free. Download it and see what YOU think.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    axetomouth86axetomouth86 Banned Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Of course you should try it. The game is totally free. Download it and see what YOU think.

This is the answer
  • Options
    griffin230griffin230 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited June 2013
    discotrash wrote: »
    Okay many thanks.

I've been looking at D&D Online from Turbine and thought about giving that a try.

Yeah, I think Turbine's DDO will probably be a better fit for you. That's probably closer to what you're looking for.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Okay many thanks.

DDO is closer to tabletop D&D (it has all the stats & shows dice rolls, etc).... but as a warning, it is amazingly min-max. If you don't plan out your entire character growth (or find a guide to the build you want to do) before you even hit "create charater", odds are that you'll find yourself somewhat-to-totally crippled by lv11-12.
    Also, it's "f2p" in the "have to pay for additional chunks of quests & map areas" style.

(I know they're not MMOs, but if you're looking for D&D games - like Heroquest & other boardgames), you could try some of the single-player games. Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, or.... <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition was just pulled from distribution temporarily due to contract disputes, or something like that.)
  • Options
    capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    This is the answer

Yep the game has good and bad points but its worth a spin.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, DDO is more like Calculators and Spreadsheets than D&D, and it's very easy to "screw" up a character, and not realize it until you've invested hundreds of hours into the toon. And you have to buy content, otherwise you tend to run out of good leveling quests around 10ish. Basically, you can't really get to max level without spending a lot of time or money.

It's nearly the exact opposite in Neverwinter. Yes, the character customization isn't as deep...BUT...how much customization is there really in a game where you HAVE to follow pretty rigid build instructions if you want to make a 'viable' toon for the later levels? That's the real question.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    chidy1776chidy1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The game overall is pretty fun, and being free to play theres no reason not to give it a shot. Its pretty far off from table top d&d outside of having the same names like action points, but i think the leveling alone is worth the time spent for a fun experience.

Edit: i also want to note that this game is pretty user friendly for ppl new to mmos. The game mechanics arent so in deoth that youve got to check a website every 5minutes but in deoth enough to provide interesting choices and an amazing combat experience.
    Paul 60 guardian fighter on mindflayer.

Rising Star, fun friendly, community focused guild on mindflayer. We strive to help each other and enjoy the game together. Talk to me for info, or feel free to check and join our community at risingstarneverwinter.enjin.com
  • Options
    erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you like D&D then Dungeons and Dragons Online is a better way to go. Don't let the people scare you about messing up a character. Simply type "DDO class build" into google (where class is replaced with the class you want to play) and will easily find some suggestions. Your best bet is to follow such a build until you get a feel for what the game is like (though even if you just totally wing it you will probably be fine). Builds only get "screwed up" to people that are min-maxers and feel like there character is garbage if they can't be the best. If you want to pick less than ideal feats you will have less than ideal power, but will still probably be fine.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    I hated DDO with a passion. "Extremely" min max doesn't begin to describe that monstrosity.

Neverwinter is free so there's no harm in trying it but the rules are heavily adapted but generally there. Hopefully the players can bring a bit more of the standard rules into play in Neverwinter in the future though.

However what Neverwinter lacks in D&D rules it excells in lore. The lore and visuals are extremely good in Neverwinter and as near as anybody can tell is 100% accurate.
    *Before you try to prove me wrong make sure you look up the official FOURTH EDITION lore. Everytime players have tried to bash the lore in the game it's simply because they either do not realize or accept that Fourth Edition changed some key parts of the lore.

On the other hand the lore in DDO is...is there any? Haha. Decent quests but so limited and very few references to anything about D&D outside of the class mechanics.

So yeah, they each have their strong points and weak points. However the worst thing about DDO is it COMPLETELY gates content. The free game is beyond limited. You can get to, possibly, level 6 before realizing the only way you can advance is by grinding the same quests over and over again or by spending money. Neverwinter doesn't do that.

In fact Neverwinter has The Foundry which has some truly, truly epic content on there. Honestly better than the developer content. Sadly the rewards aren't quite equatable to the Developer content but if you care to try some great D&D themed stories The Foundry is a D&D Players Haven.

Alternatively NWN 1 & 2 is great. I loved them for many years and are pretty close in rules adaptations. Try them and see what one suits you. I hated DDO, I loved NWN and I love Neverwinter but everybody is entitled to their own opinions.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As a counterpoint I loved DDO and think NWO has potential especially with the Foundry. I also found that DDO was always very friendly and there was lot less elitism than here in NWO - there is no such thing as Gear Score there, and unlike here I never ever came across a situation where certain classes were simply not taken for dungeons/raids.

Both are good choices, although DDO will be MUCH cheaper if you have more than one or two main characters since extra Bag space, Mount and Cat/Ioun Stone companion (let alone wards for high level enhancements fusing) are very expensive here.
  • Options
    efaiciaefaicia Member Posts: 71
    edited June 2013
    Why would you need to ask in the forums before trying something free? I mean, I could understand if you were asking before spending money ...? *confused*

P.S. How can Foundries have epic content when the authors don't even have access to boss mobs?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    czarkazmczarkazm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you are just getting into D&D then Neverwinter is probably going to be closer to what you are used to. DDO is closer to the older ruleset, Neverwinter is closer to the newer one.
  • Options
    juliusmalemajuliusmalema Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Play both :D

As mentioned a few times, WAY less elitism in DDO than Neverwinter, but complex character creation (I like it). I played DDO for 4 years, got bored, came to Neverwinter, and LOVED the levelling process here. Once at cap I prefer DDO, as I like the combat mechanic more. Neither have an end game imho.

But yeah, play both as both are great for what they are. Ideally if we could have DDO character creation and combat mechanic with Neverwinter visuals/lore - I can only dream about such a game :D
  • Options
    osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »

This LOL

OP, this costs you nothing to try out. Just download and try it, delete if you hate it.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    efaicia wrote: »
    Why would you need to ask in the forums before trying something free? I mean, I could understand if you were asking before spending money ...? *confused*

P.S. How can Foundries have epic content when the authors don't even have access to boss mobs?

If you play the foundry missions for gear or boss fights then you will be disappointed...
    But as somebody who is contributing to a discussion about "Dungeons and Dragons" I'm honestly disappointed that you define epic based on boss fights and loot.

Most people would say that the limitations on class builds in the biggest issue with NW. I disagree.

The main game runs too much as a hack and slash game. Kill the mobs and steal their loot.
    That's not D&D to me.

But thankfully the Foundry Authors have picked up the slack. They've made quests which actually translate the D&D PnP experience better than most of the NWN and NWN2 content which is amazing and with the future foundry tools it will only get better.

The main game is fun. The combat is enjoyable...
    But the Foundry content is the real D&D experience. If you define D&D as killing the mobs and stealing their loot you're not grasping the true value of D&D.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    efaicia wrote: »

Two possibilities.

1: This person can not independently try something for himself and needs to see what the group mind thinks.
    2: "Is worth it?" threads are a never ending source of opportunity to bash a game.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Two possibilities.

1: This person can not independently try something for himself and needs to see what the group mind thinks.
    2: "Is worth it?" threads are a never ending source of opportunity to bash a game.

Additionally, time may be a limiting factor for them - why not ask some questions to see if you want to spend your limited time on Game 1 or Game 2, since you can't really just "try" both.

edit: or to put it a different way.... it's not really free. It costs time.
  • Options
    dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi all,

I've recently been thinking about getting into D&D and after talking to a few players on forums etc, I thought I might try Neverwinter out. I was a big fan of the HeroQuest game as a kid and spent many hours playing that. The idea of dice rolling and dungeon running really appeals to me!

I did try this game when it got released but at the time I was tied up playing another title at the time so deiced to return to Neverwinter at a later date.

Are there any guilds out there made up of D&D/HeroQuest players who currently play Neverwinter at all? I'm from the UK and not really had much spare time to look around the forums here. I do have a lot of experience when it comes to MMO games but I'm kinda looking for something that's a little more mature in terms of community.

Thanks

Not if you want to like D&D or MMO's afterward.
  • Options
    juliusmalemajuliusmalema Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not if you want to like D&D or MMO's afterward.

classic! :D
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It has a lot of fun aspects of Forgotten Realms. I personally like playing this game with a PS3 controller.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Additionally, time may be a limiting factor for them - why not ask some questions to see if you want to spend your limited time on Game 1 or Game 2, since you can't really just "try" both.

edit: or to put it a different way.... it's not really free. It costs time.

If your time is so limited that you have to ask complete strangers on the internet you have bigger issues than what game to try.
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Are you getting into D&D 4E or D&D3E/Pathfinder? Neverwinter is based on the D&D4E rule set. It isn't a perfect match but it is definitely based around the 4th edition rule set. Most of the people claiming NW isn't D&D want it to be based around 3rd edition and are dissapointed that Wizards of the Coast is not licensing the older game system for new games.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Are you getting into D&D 4E or D&D3E/Pathfinder? Neverwinter is based on the D&D4E rule set. It isn't a perfect match but it is definitely based around the 4th edition rule set. Most of the people claiming NW isn't D&D want it to be based around 3rd edition and are dissapointed that Wizards of the Coast is not licensing the older game system for new games.

That is putting it mildly. :rolleyes:

We have these folks at my game shop (or did until the owner told them to never step foot in the store again) Not only do they loathe anything that isn't 3.5 or Pathfinder, they have to get in the face of anyone who plays 4e. Those games are synonymous with min/maxers so it's to be expected, but it's an odd little subculture. The 1st and 2nd ed players are like whatever....but the 3.5/pathfinder players are like these really irritating religious fanatics.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That is putting it mildly. :rolleyes:

We have these folks at my game shop (or did until the owner told them to never step foot in the store again) Not only do they loathe anything that isn't 3.5 or Pathfinder, they have to get in the face of anyone who plays 4e. Those games are synonymous with min/maxers so it's to be expected, but it's an odd little subculture. The 1st and 2nd ed players are like whatever....but the 3.5/pathfinder players are like these really irritating religious fanatics.

I think you just make stuff up to bolster your arguments. Militant game fans who hang around game stores getting in people's faces because they don't play a version of a game they do. Where do you live?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! I didn't expect so many!

I decided to give Neverwinter a try again and see how it goes. Like a few people have said, the game is free to try so why not give it a go. The client is almost finished so I'm not far off testing the game out.

I'm kinda not playing anything else at the moment and after finding a HeroQuest fan forum last night, I fancied getting back into the whole dice rolling/D&D way of things. I played a lot of HeroQuest when I was younger and enjoyed every moment of it. I'm also getting kinda of bored of the current MMO's out there these days. They all feel the same to me. So it will be nice to try something else I guess.

I will update this post as I play the game :)

Thanks again!
  • Options
    twisted0utlawtwisted0utlaw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »

Then don't play the game yourself, DDO is still running or is that not "D&D" either?
  • Options
    rizoguerizogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    He's considering starting playing D&D, and wants to use this MMO game as a reference to see if he wants to.

If you want to see if you like MMOs, try this out, if you want to find out if you'll like D&D, PLEASE don't use this as your measuring stick. Buy the books and some dice, and give that game a try.

It's really like deciding if you want to buy a pool table by playing some andriod-based pool app....

Rizogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join our Neverwinter Discussions: http://www.menzoberranzan.net
    Now Recruiting - All races and classes! Menzoberranzan Guild Recruitment
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    If your time is so limited that you have to ask complete strangers on the internet you have bigger issues than what game to try.

Spending an hour or two looking for opinions & reviews online (before committing to a dozens-of-hours+ game), doesn't seem like such a big deal. /shrug