test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Shard of the Endless Avalanche - don't understand?

devilinitydevilinity Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11
edited August 2013 in The Library
I don't understand the description nor do I see a difference between mastering it and rank 2? One says "push away" other says "propel" ..... :(
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    everwindgaleeverwindgale Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited June 2013
    The tool tips are horribly written and very "cryptic". Cryptic as a company philosophically does not want informed users IMHO. The spell is pretty simple. You summon the bowling ball, you press the button again and whatever direct you are facing will push the ball in that direction. "It works exactly like repel" In fact it is really is a specialized version of repel for the shard.

The mastery version of the spell allows you to place the ball instead of summoning right next to you. I like the spell, but what I have learned is that the game is fast, and this is a very slow spell to run and with the cool down it will actually really hurt your dps because of the significant time it takes to cast. In the time it takes to cast and if it doesn't hit 2 targets you could have likely cast 2 other encounter powers in the time it takes to cast the shard so I have determined it is not worth it.
  • Options
    bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Best use of SotEA is to get somewhere high up in town, get naked, put SotEA on Tab.

Cast it far away but don't explode it, then quickly type "/e airguitar" into chat and play some rockin' airgitty with awesome glowing hands! Everyone in town will think you are mega cool!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bcvapor wrote: »
    Best use of SotEA is to get somewhere high up in town, get naked, put SotEA on Tab.

Cast it far away but don't explode it, then quickly type "/e airguitar" into chat and play some rockin' airgitty with awesome glowing hands! Everyone in town will think you are mega cool!

lol. Wish I'd thought of that during the night events. :)

Do it in an outfit with Negation Armor Enchantment + Delzoun orb with Lightning Enchantment or something and its like you've just brought your very own concert in middle of town!
  • Options
    agiletalentagiletalent Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    SotEA has some pretty good uses. If you're working on a lot of trash mobs, it's very good at being yet another "control" spell, insofar as it knocks down mobs, and does pretty fair damage. It also doesn't knock back, (only knocks prone)so it will keep the angst-ridden melee classes who don't want to chase mobs around a room from getting mad at you.

In the mean time, while they're prone, and standing back up, that's two seconds or so where they aren't hitting anyone and timed with a sudden storm, makes for a nice 1-2 punch of stationary mobs taking damage from you and everyone else.

And, to top it off, it's one of the funnest spells in the game. What other class gets to go bowling on Friday night? :)

Oh, and to the OP - I haven't found a use for using the mastery version of the spell. Far too many other more useful skills to slot in the tab key.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you drop it at your feet with the intention of going bowling makes sure the game has enough time to realise that you are stood behind it relative to the mobs you're wanting to hit.

I've found that if I don't do this it will sometimes scoot off at odd angles or even behind me which is more irritating than amusing when it happens mid combat.

Works nicely if you've gathered up a group with singularity and roll it into them, singularity will also prevent melee getting annoyed that the mob they were hitting is no longer in front of them.
  • Options
    bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Dropping it before a fight and building mastery stacks is a use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ice Bowling:

Cast the Shard, use Conduit of Ice and tabbed-Entangling somewhere in the center,wait until a nice little bundle is formed, push the Shard.

For variation you can toss in a chill strike at any appropriate moment.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    To be serious, I found Shard pretty fun and useful in Skirmishes. Probably good in tight confined dungeons too, though I haven't tried it like that.
  • Options
    joeliu01joeliu01 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I can't get the correct operation of dropping the shard onto your targets.any good guy could help me by describing it detailedly.
  • Options
    digesthisicknessdigesthisickness Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I tried it and practiced with it some, but it just took to long with the aiming, etc. to be useful for me personally. I wanted it to be great though as it's a huge boulder and appears powerful when using it. If I could just cast it like any other spell, I'd definitely use it.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    joeliu01 wrote: »
    I can't get the correct operation of dropping the shard onto your targets.any good guy could help me by describing it detailedly.

Normal slot:
    1. Press normal slot key.
    2. Get behind the purple bowling ball in direction of where you want to push.
    3. Press normal slot key again and giggle as it crashes into the enemy.

Tab slot:
    1. Press tab slot key.
    2. Left click ground where enemy stands (maybe before use your imagination for other spells to ensure enemy cannot move).
    3. Wait a second (yes its a full second or more) for purple ball to pop out of thin air and drop onto enemy head. Pray you are not CC'd before ball appears or you lose it!
    4. If ball did not explode on enemy, pray you are not CC'd before you can use it or you lose it!
    5. If ball did not explode and you did not lose it, then click again near you or wherever the enemy is rushing to, and watch purple ball chase them and hopefully either knock them down or explode.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Amusing vs GFs advancing under block in PvP. Drop the ball behind them, pull to towards you proning them then force choke, RoF, etc. Not very useful in most fights, but kinda amusing.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    pfft2pfft2 Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    Amusing vs GFs advancing under block in PvP. Drop the ball behind them, pull to towards you proning them then force choke, RoF, etc. Not very useful in most fights, but kinda amusing.

Yeah, the tactical possibilities are tantalizing. Unfortunately, Shard is just plain ole clumsy to use.

But what ultimately kills it for me is the cooldown, which doesn't even start to count down until the Shard has exploded. If the cooldown started counting when you summon the Shard, I might invest in the power, its other various warts notwithstanding (namely that Shard is clumsy to use, and doesn't benefit from various gear-set, feat, and feature bonuses that it should, etc).
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    pfft2 wrote: »
    Yeah, the tactical possibilities are tantalizing. Unfortunately, Shard is just plain ole clumsy to use.

But what ultimately kills it for me is the cooldown, which doesn't even start to count down until the Shard has exploded. If the cooldown started counting when you summon the Shard, I might invest in the power, its other various warts notwithstanding (namely that Shard is clumsy to use, and doesn't benefit from various gear-set, feat, and feature bonuses that it should, etc).

I wouldn't mind any of that clumsiness and slowness if it were not for one thing: being CC'd at any point before actually using the ball, i.e. even after the purple ball has been summoned, causing you to lose the spell and start the cooldown is just ridiculous! You are under constant barrage and potential CC in PvP, for example.

In PvE, it can be quite nice, even how slow it is now, to punt into Arcane Singularity clusters, especially with Thaum feats. It won't gain you as much damage as other Thaum combos but it will not be miles behind either (assuming all the various Chilling Cloud exploits have finally been fixed).
  • Options
    meeggtoastmeeggtoast Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Shard of Useless avalanche is only useful in pvp for stunning and applying high vizier stacks.
    Nevermore@meeggtoast 12.2 BiS TR
    Lanaya@meeggtoast 13.4 BiS GWF
    Shendelzare@meeggtoast 11.2k CN mule CW

Server: Dragon
    Stream: meeggtoast
    Guide: Meeggtoast's Destroyer Dps Guide
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    tang56 wrote: »

Lol nice. I was wondering about this in pvp, I see it a lot lately especially tabbed, have a lot of CW's done well with this over say tabbed icy rays? I guess this could deal with GWF along with ice knife for prone until dead combo.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    Lol nice. I was wondering about this in pvp, I see it a lot lately especially tabbed, have a lot of CW's done well with this over say tabbed icy rays? I guess this could deal with GWF along with ice knife for prone until dead combo.
    A guild mate uses it to prevent GWF from using unstoppable before EF is off cooldown.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    viaporiviapori Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Not so usefull in real combat situtations.

But it is extremely useful for out-of-box thinking/playing. Glitching fights/bosses. For example you can pull mobs 2x of your normal max range and more. Most useful spell when you want to break the game mechanics especially in PvE. :)
  • Options
    lordgallenlordgallen Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developers Posts: 91
    edited August 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    Normal slot:
    1. Press normal slot key.
    2. Get behind the purple bowling ball in direction of where you want to push.
    3. Press normal slot key again and giggle as it crashes into the enemy.

Tab slot:
    1. Press tab slot key.
    2. Left click ground where enemy stands (maybe before use your imagination for other spells to ensure enemy cannot move).
    3. Wait a second (yes its a full second or more) for purple ball to pop out of thin air and drop onto enemy head. Pray you are not CC'd before ball appears or you lose it!
    4. If ball did not explode on enemy, pray you are not CC'd before you can use it or you lose it!
    5. If ball did not explode and you did not lose it, then click again near you or wherever the enemy is rushing to, and watch purple ball chase them and hopefully either knock them down or explode.

On the bright side, Shard going away when you get CCed should hopefully be fixed soon...ish. (No solid ETA as it's a code fix)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    lordgallen wrote: »
    On the bright side, Shard going away when you get CCed should hopefully be fixed soon...ish. (No solid ETA as it's a code fix)

That's great to hear! I look forward to it, thank you very much!
  • Options
    pfft2pfft2 Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    That's great to hear! I look forward to it, thank you very much!

Me too!

... At the risk of asking too much, though -- now Shard can haz a summon-triggered cooldown and proper interaction with control/aoe-flavored feats/features and gear set bonuses?

:D