Options

Neverwinter reviews are coming in!

sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in News & Announcements
Reviews of Neverwinter are coming in! See what they have to say:

Forbes: 9/10
"The combat is possibly the best in any MMORPG on the market today…"

Escapist: 4/5
"Neverwinter takes the most satisfying aspects of D&D's 4th edition in terms of combat and development, and turns it into a D&D adventure that left me squeeing with the joy of seeing my favorite monsters and mechanics."

Ten Ton Hammer: 89/100
"Neverwinter is a pretty city, and the designers at Cryptic have done much to bring that beauty to life."

OnRPG:
"Neverwinter is quite possibly the best free to play MMO released in a long time."

Bag of Games: 8.5/10
"Thank you Peter Jackson for Lord of the Rings, and thank you Cryptic for Neverwinter."

College News:
"Neverwinter implements a unique active combat system that relies as heavily on player skill as it does on character development."

GamingUnion.net
: (Part 1)
"the mixture of action-oriented combat and easy exploration does Neverwinter wonders in world building."

GamesRadar: 4/5
"a game that feels finished, refined, and enormously fun at launch."

Capsule Computers: 8.5/10
"With great quest structure, quick, solid combat, and evocative sound design, anyone interested in the world of Dungeons & Dragons or MMOs would be remiss to pass this one by without giving it a try."

411mania.com
: 8.2/10
"Neverwinter is a great MMO title for PC players wanting something new."

Neufutur: 9.2/10
"The sheer amount of things to do on Neverwinter ensures that it will be the MMORPG of the summer"

The Koalition: 85%
"With so many things to do and see in this well-envisioned world, Cryptic Studios and Perfect World Entertainment have crafted one of the finest free-to-play MMORPGs ever made."

GameZone: 8.0/10
"Neverwinter is the MMO that brings Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition to digital life"

GamingBolt: 8/10
"Neverwinter is a double assault on the preconceptions you may have of the MMORPG genre, doing both free to play and MMORPGs much better than many of its competitors."

Good Game: 17/20
"it's nice to see a game that genuinely encourages a flourishing creative community."

GotGame: 4/5
"I would recommend you download this game asap and start enjoying it tonight."

Polygon: 8/10
"With its fast-paced combat and ubiquitously streamlined design, Neverwinter nails the concept of what an action-MMO should be."

Inside Gaming Daily: 8/10
"it delivers retail-quality gameplay, endless expandability with user-generated content, and a fantastic twist on crafting that had me obsessively checking my crafting queue for hours"

The Gamers Hub: 4/5
"I think that everyone that’s a fan of MMOs should really give this a whirl"

Gamezebo: 4/5
"Neverwinter offers up as much action and instances you could want in an online Dungeons & Dragons adventure."

GamesReviews: 9.0/10
"Neverwinter is the best free to play MMO I have played to date."

PC & Tech Authority: 5/6
"Dungeons and Dragons' iconic Forgotten Realms makes for a great MMO setting – and it's free!"

GamingExcellence: 8.5/10
"This game has come out of the corner swinging with plenty of content, no subscription fees and a top quality gaming experience."

Gaming Nexus: 8.8/10
"Neverwinter is one of the best free-to-play games this year, with its fluid combat, extensive amount of quests, and Foundry tool in which players can create their own adventures."
Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
Post edited by sominator on

Comments

• Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Awesome news and even though I am biased cause I still play, I concur with these reviews.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    In before "PWE/Cryptic bought these reviews"
  • Options
    raynedwolfraynedwolf Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the only problem i have so far with NeverWinter, is that im capped out at level 60, why cant we level any higher at this point. I thought with the game going live and everything, we would be able to level higher?
  • Options
    dignamdignam Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    having to stand still to fight prevents a high combat score
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The game has some great features that help it stand out, and it's good to see recognition. The care that went into the text, the environments, the largely better-than-average voice acting...all great things. There's a lot to celebrate and a lot of room to grow.

The only thing that concerns me at this early stage is the relative lack of communication regarding severe bugs and glitches that impair the basic functions of the few existing character classes. I look forward to hearing more about upcoming fixes as well as further balancing to promote greater diversity of end-game builds (i.e. not only fixing the laundry list of bugged powers, feats, and sets, but revamping powers and feats generally regarded as useless).
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    mavalonmavalon Member Posts: 88
    edited June 2013
    Yep an average score of 72/100 on metacritic isnt bad.
    But a review is just someone's opinion.
    In my opinion it deserves more then 80/100.
  • Options
    syllvvsyllvv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wish they did a survey on customer support. :\
  • Options
    reiklingraiderreiklingraider Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have been playing for a couple of weeks and I am happy to see some good reviews. Neverwinter still has problems but it is still a fun game to play.
  • Options
    izoldaizolda Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm only waiting for Gametrailer, Gamespot and IGN review.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I agree completely with you on all facets stated here, though I believe the game would be a lot better if they made it possible to level up even more.
  • Options
    mark370mark370 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It'd be nice to be able to play again, but I can't get the friggin game to even startup after the update.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Fun game, but the bug fixes need to come as fast as the reviews.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    v0li0nv0li0n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    syllvv wrote: »
    Wish they did a survey on customer support. :\

Agreed, why we do a customer service score as part of the breakdown in our new review system, however I'm not sure when our team will review Neverwinter.
    holdtheline.com - gaming advocacy network
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    yes, it would be nice to do a survey on customer support, but are the team of Neverwinter going to address the issues for those gamers who want to go further in the game?
  • Options
    thundersparkthunderspark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree with the reviews mostly, but I think the game could benefit a lot from some more endgame activities. Reached level 60 some time ago and it seems to be mostly grinding dungeons which are repeats of older dungeons made harder, and not everyone is terribly invested in PvP.

Still, it has a lot of promise and I'm sure it will build on its strengths as time goes by. So, congratulations to the devs!
  • Options
    censurelycensurely Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The economy in-game feels pretty terrible (pricing of things between Gold, Zen and AD is, at best, weird and, at worst baffling) but the gameplay is pretty fun. This is a hard title to beat in the F2P MMO sub-genre.
    mark370 wrote: »
    It'd be nice to be able to play again, but I can't get the friggin game to even startup after the update.

Wait it out. I had the same problem after the last patch (hangs at startup) until I loaded up the game and went afk to do the dishes. When I came back it finally finished loading and everything has been normal since.
  • Options
    urteniurteni Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The only problem I have is that at several points the servers cause me to lag, reset positioning, die, and of course: rage.

Could there be a possible creating of a purely EU server?
  • Options
    huckasevenhuckaseven Banned Users Posts: 470 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    nope, there wont be an EU server
  • Options
    fiatluxinvictafiatluxinvicta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Customer support so far SUXXX!!!
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    While i agree this game is good it's not fair to show only one side if a review. Anyone can sound good in a review if you just pull the most positive sentence out of context. lets see if i can level the playing field in the other direction.
    Forbes wrote:
    " But as of launch, the dream of the Foundry being an endless fountain of user-created content seems to be one deferred."
    "some of the exploitation had on the game’s economy will likely resonate for months to come."
    Escapist wrote:
    "a highly linear game in both content and mechanical progression."
    "I felt as if I wasn't actually making any kind of actual decisions for my character at all.
    "Neverwinter often feels closed and static."
    "the actual questing and storytelling is rather tepid."
    "Character models are somewhat primitive."
    "Neverwinter currently uses a huge and confusing array of currencies,"
    "F2P marketing in-game is aggressive and off-putting"
    GamesRadar wrote:
    "The cash shop...sells non-essential but very useful items...at some relatively steep prices."
    "The quest variety rarely bubbles above the “fetch” and “kill ten rats” variety"
    " It’s a linear experience, with no branching story paths."
    "There’s no denying that Neverwinter is derivative. It’s a game of borrowed parts and tweaked ideas that sometimes seems a little behind the times."

I could keep going but i feel i have made my point.
    21.jpg
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This would be like taking a review for one of my quests that said "This is a great big failure." and just quoted it as saying "Great." Lmfao.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited July 2013
    Gamespot only gave you a 6.0

http://www.gamespot.com/neverwinter/reviews/neverwinter-review-6411124/
    Neverwinter's combat is very good, but not quite good enough to carry the thin game built around it.

The Good

Entertaining combat system
    Dungeons and skirmishes feature some challenging encounters
    Foundry gives rise to some wonderful player-created content.

The Bad

Incredibly dry, predictable world structure
    Mediocre writing and lack of diversity make for boring questing
    You can run through the central content in a matter of days.
  • Options
    rasiel95rasiel95 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    this game rules:D
  • Options
    bowdidlybowdidly Member Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Neverwinter reviews are coming in!
    Seriously ? i like how there is no dates from when the reviews were wrote, most of these reviews were published a month ago, and thats published, not wrote. i'm pretty sure any up to date reviews would differ slightly, especially those from reviewers that actualy played past lvl 5, lol

Quote from Eurogamer 'there's an awful lot of it waiting for you and it quickly starts to feel samey. Enemies spawn everywhere in hostile areas, constantly, sometimes right next to you, and never with any variation. If there were three orcs there a moment ago, those three orcs will soon be back.'

'The problem is that pretty much all of it is boring'
  • Options
    zombieelviszombieelvis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Some more reviews:

IGN review is a 6.8.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/26/neverwinter-review

" But that's when I picked up my cleric companion. With her steady stream of heals, I could just spring into a pile of enemies and slash away for the rest of the journey, and be all but invincible as long as I remembered to keep them off of her"

OMG but what game was playing the IGN guy?
  • Options
    symonhumbleuksymonhumbleuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
    edited July 2013
    Here's mine, i decided to review it whilst i took a break for a week, but i wrote this as a gamer first and a blogger second, so i am being honest, unlike other sites who seem to play it for about 5 hours and know all about the game somehow.

http://symonator.net/news/neverwinter-online-review/
    My Web: http://www.symonator.net
    Toons:
    New: CW Level 60
    GF = Level 60
    DC = Level 60
    TR = Level 60
  • Options
    dionrayderdionrayder Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Когда введут русский язик в игру?много игроков прибавилось би.
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    dionrayder wrote: »
    Когда введут русский язик в игру?много игроков прибавилось би.

Current languages supported is English, German and French. I do not know if or when Russia language is supported. My Russia language skill is really bad and I am not sure if you asked about some new form of PvP kind of battle. However if that was the question we do not know when any other form example Capture the Flag PvP or other might be included or if it will. Personally I hope Neverwinter will get Capture The Flag and other forms of PvP one day.

Google Translate:
    Текущий поддерживаемых языков является английский, немецкий и французский. Я не знаю, если или когда Россия язык поддерживается. Моя Россия языковой навык действительно плохо, и я не уверен, если бы вы спросили о некоторых новых форм вида PvP сражения. Однако, если это был вопрос, который мы не знаем, когда любой другой форме например захват флага PvP или другие могут быть включены или если он будет. Лично я надеюсь, что Neverwinter получите Capture The Flag и другие формы PvP один день.

Please keep to English in the forums. Пожалуйста, имейте в английском в форумах.
    Privjet Russia:cool:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vh4czSuQHx4

I like Russian music:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN63T9cE9Jo
  • Options
    jeepinjeepin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    http://thegamershub.net/2013/07/dungeons-dragons-neverwinter-review/

Painful to read. There are more gramatical and spelling errors than an 8th grade book report. I'm far from perfect and I rely on spellcheck A LOT! But it really detracts from the credibility of the review. First, it's LICH not LITCH. Second, "discovering that you ship has sunk and it’s just you left to save the world" ....Huh? Third, "Companions also feature in Neverwinter but need to be purchased with Zen" Not true....

Please for the love of all things good...If you are going to do a review, proof read it, give it to a friend to re-read it again, then call your school's English Teacher and have them proof read it.