test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where Can I Buy A Mace Or Flail For My Cleric ?

13»

Comments

• ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, so many more bludgeoning options: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Bludgeoning_Weapon

I'm not a huge warhammer fan either, but some of those unique hammers in BG2 worked great. Also, a nice thematic weapon for dwarves as an alternative to the waraxe. Light maces make decent offhands - especially for clerics who can craft rods/maces with unique magic properties.

3.5 DR on basic skeletons is 5/bludgeoning, which is a plenty at early levels. IIRC creatures like Galeb Duhr also had fairly high slashing resistance. More powerful/unique monsters could probably have more. Like the giant skeletons in the Sub or the Abbot in DDO.
  • eaglerock1eaglerock1 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I remember that like it was yesterday! That goes way back to the roots of D&D! Thanks for sharing.

Heres the reason, as presented in the old AD&D 2nd Edition...

"Reluctant to shed blood, clerics are limited to blunt, bludgeoning weapons unless allowed other weapons by their dogma/mythos. Being trained for battle as well as spiritual works, they may use any armor or shield."

Sauce: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleric_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29
  • shefenhowshefenhow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 61
    edited June 2013
    First and Second Edition restricted classes to use specific weapons. Clerics had to use blunt Weapons, Druids needed to use non-metal, wizards had to use small daggers or staves.

I don't think this is right. The armor could not be metal but the weapons while restricted by type, could be metal like sickle etc...
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085
    edited June 2013
    And that's why it baffles me why players still use the blunt weapons. In Neverwinter it's purely visuals but in PnP and in other games the other weapons have always been much stronger in my opinion and well within the rules to use in Third Edition.
    All my clerics in 3rd ed were always using longswords. :D Mostly because they were LE aligned and sword either was deity favored weapon, or simply looked more aggressive than not-so-big mace.
    Well, my only dwarven cleric was using axes. As every dwarf should be.
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    shefenhow wrote: »
    I don't think this is right. The armor could not be metal but the weapons while restricted by type, could be metal like sickle etc...

Yeah, it was more like "a list of lore-related weapons". Sickle and scimitar are the only metal weps I can think of.... Oh wait, dagger also.