test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Any way to spawn mobs/NPC's during the quest?

olepiolepi Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
I'd like to place an NPC or a trigger, that would spawn mobs during the quest. For example, I walk up to an NPC, and select the "Nightmare" mode. That causes a lot more mobs to spawn, than if I didn't select that mode.

Is that possible? Or can I set up a trigger, such that if the player triggers it, mobs and/or NPC's are spawned?
Post edited by olepi on

Comments

• ash4llash4ll Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Of course, I wonder why haven't anyone replied to you yet. It's called difficulty slider, simply make certain mobs appear on dialog prompt reached. There is only one rule: it must happen on the same map.
    One thing - they can not be used as mobs for quest (otherwise their spawn requirements will reset)
    Review trades - Need to trade review? Read first post for further info.
    Siegebreaker - NW-DGDPWV2U5 - story about the ambush, escape and great rescue of the city.
    I'm a streamer and I know it!
  • ovaltine74ovaltine74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I know what you are trying to do. I guess it is kinda like a difficulty slider, but for just one encounter in the quest. Mobs can become visible when dialogue prompts are reached. At the end of the foundry quest "All is fair in love and war" by @oortexplorer. He does exactly what you are trying to do. Depending on what dialogue option you choose it will spawn a different set of mobs. Check out that quest or contact him for specifics on how to accomplish it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5
    Awaiting a serious response from the developers on the abuse of the review system by other authors.

Video Preview
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've never called it a "difficulty" slider because that's a misnomer (it doesn't change difficulty levels, it just adds adds). In either case there a lot of ways to spawn NPCs or encounters, including a method of "randomness" if that's what you're going for. However, because you aren't describing very well what your goal is then I concur that the "visible" trigger should be a particular dialog. The most common way of spawning encounters in a somewhat random fashion is with place-markers.

It's a very interesting fight if the floor is "salt and peppered" with a dozen place markers (about 1 Meter in diameter) and each one spawns new encounters. The PC starts the fight and if they move around a lot, rather than silly traps, they get new spawns. If they are all minions or normal difficulty it creates a lot of fun.

As for the "difficulty slider" thing? It's more like a "Solo/Party" play selector. Old school method for solo or group play we've used for years in STO. ~shrugs~
  • olepiolepi Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks! This is just what I needed. I had a couple of ideas:
    1) let the user pick what kind of mobs he wants to fight
    2) put down triggers (place markers) to cause surprises
    3) let the user select a difficulty on top of the normal slider.
  • swordswornswordsworn Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Easy in dialog tree.

say blah blah blah

response1: I would like it easy add response --> resposne 2: I want it hard

Make two new dialogs under each response

1: it will be easy 2: then hard it is

now go to every mob you want to add for hard mode and set the option "apper when" to "Dialog reached"

Then in sub window that opens chose the dialog box "then hard it is"

the mobs will now apear the second the player sees "then hard it is". If they chose response one, the dialog "then hard it is" is never reached and the mobs will never spawn. thus easy mod hard mode can be achived. I had an idea to do somthing simuler by asking how many are in your party for party scaling but as of yet have not.

P.S. to understand why I do the above you need to know you cant pick a respose as a "dialog reached" and you dont want to refence the qwestion or the mobs will always spawn so you need have a dialog after the responce to link too. Same for an effect. In my map "In Defence of the Beggar king" i have a guest npc disapear and blow up a gate you can see behind her in conversation, To activeate this i had to add a dialog box after the response ment to end the conversation. This dialog says and she disapears, but you never read it as she disapears when it is reached so the gate disapears, a crystal explsion happens(makes the gate apear to shatter) and the npc disapears on a dilog the player never see's after the response that ends the conversation. if you tie it to the dilog containing the final response it all goes off before you can read the respond to the last dialog. So anything you want to trigger off a response needs to be qued to a dilog after that response.
    45 min story driven solo dungon. Branching dialogs. Multiple mid boss encounters. More small groups of tuff mobs then trash spam. "In defence of the Beggar King" now elidgable for daily foundry. NW-DHJPT25G4

10 min short but sweat. Amusing story and dialog. Light humor. Creative hord/survival mode hybred. Detailed eviroment. Entense combat with little no respite. Lovable contact npc. "The Infinity Chest" NW-DHKAAXTP4W