test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bind on Pickup - How to Not Screw up Dungeoning

thekevrletthekevrlet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I have a personal disgust for all forms of binding, but they're an evil that will not leave, so let's at least not implement them in profoundly self-destructive ways, yes?

The core of the problem with making most gear BoP in this game is that dungeons give out almost no loot as it is. One dungeon, taking anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours, will drop 1 blue or purple item per boss. Most of the time, this drop is a worthless belt, ring or necklace or an almost-as-worthless boss item (thickgristle's dagger, everyone?). Even if you get lucky and a best-possible-tier item does drop, it's most likely not for your class (20% chance for any given drop) and it's also not likely the set you want (33% chance). That means there's about a 6% chance that any given useful drop will be the one you want. The math gets even more depressing if we consider the likelihood of a useful item dropping. And the DD event really doesn't make it much better. We all know DD chests tend to drop T1 belts, necks, or rings even in T2 dungeons.

Now make every useful (and most non-useful) drops bind the moment someone picks them up. Suddenly, you can't even rely on that slow trickle of AD to eventually buy you that item you want. Now, you have to run a dungeon dozens of times to have a reasonable chance of one item you want dropping - and that's assuming a 50% drop rate of useful items, and we all know it's nowhere near that high. 10% is probably closer, which makes it ~166 runs for what you want. Assume a 20% rate from DD chests, that makes it ~16 runs - which is also on the generous side. As an aside, we can see why so very few people run dungeons when DD isn't on - there's almost no point, and there will be even less reason to when BoP is implemented.

So, how can we counteract this? Very easily, and I am stunned this isn't already implemented. Have, at the very least, each end boss drop more than one item! I've played many, many MMOs and I can't think of a single one off the top of my head that only drops one item per boss. Heck, TERA drops 10+ items per boss. Why do we have to get so shafted on loot in Neverwinter? Why can't end bosses have a chance to drop coalescent wards, preservation wards, rank 5 enchants, lesser enchants, and gold (for potions/kits) in addition to the current drops? Or maybe more than 1 purple item? Especially with most drops being BoP, having end bosses drop multiple purple items makes sense - if you can't buy the items, they should at least have a reasonable chance of dropping.
Post edited by thekevrlet on

Comments

• leftsideoftheyarleftsideoftheyar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    While you have a well-reasoned response to the bop changes in contrast to the raging from most of the players I will disagree with your post on one point (and one point only). There will never be a reason for cryptic to allow coas and pres shards to drop; it directly hurts their income. However I do like the idea of the multiple drops as well as hopefully expanded loot table.
    u13fd8a.png
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    While you have a well-reasoned response to the bop changes in contrast to the raging from most of the players I will disagree with your post on one point (and one point only). There will never be a reason for cryptic to allow coas and pres shards to drop; it directly hurts their income. However I do like the idea of the multiple drops as well as hopefully expanded loot table.

This is 100% accurate, Cryptic needs to add a bigger loot table to bosses. Instead of dropping one item, they need to have at least one item per class drop. They can the system in place like we do in world of warcraft to scan and see when you either queue for a raid dungeon or if you put your group together to run a scan of your group make up and allow the boss to drop one item that's usable per class participating.

That still means you may not get the exact tier piece you want, but at least this way it gives you a chance to put together another set too use why you run that dungeon over and over trying for that one or two items you need. It's beyond stupid to have Bop items in a dungeon where their is only ONE item that drops. The reward for time spent running these end game (Aoe ****holes) is atrocious and needs to be fixed.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • aerisdarkstalkeraerisdarkstalker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    BoP is a bad idea. Not everyone can play for hours each day, and run instance after instance until finally the epic item they want drops. Leave the system as it is - those who farm the dungeon can sell the items on the auction house to the rest of us.
  • sogronnwosogronnwo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 96
    edited June 2013
    I second the idea that end bosses should drop 1 class-specific item for everyone in the party if they go along with making drops BoP.
    I've been through more than 3 dozen T2s under Dungeon Delve event and only got my first T2 set item yesterday.
    Can't see how a 100 stat upgrade for that amount of time invested is cool or fun.
    I have guildies who payed money and got their T2 instantly, and honestly, that doesn't bother me, it's their choice whether they like to work for their loot in real life or in-game. I like working for my loot in-game, but this rate is ridiculous.
    And btw making loot BoP would mean ppl can't pay anymore for their gear so it would cut your revenue too I imagine.