test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

BoP, BoE, respec & economy madness

icecreamcarticecreamcart Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So I've been playing Neverwinter since the start of open beta. I made a character, leveled it to 60 and rerolled because I realised my base ability score was not that great. I leveled a second character to 60 with a good ability score roll and spend a lot of time to get the best available gear. From there on I just did dungeons to help out or get some AD's.
I don't care about exploits, glitches & inflation/deflation.. Great! I'm a happy camper and enjoying the game, slowly building more AD's and better enchantments.

Patch day, nerf/buff day.

My mythical "perfect" ability rolls are now not that great anymore because of the change to some powers. Cryptic/PW gave me a free respec, which is totally useless since I can not reroll my base ability score or change my race.

I thought: "Sigh, I could make a third character, I did save up some AD's". Since everything is BoE, all my (end-game!) gear on the second character is totally useles. I would have to spend a ton of AD's on a companion, gear & enchants. HOWEVER I still like the game and I would be willing to spend so much AD and time on a reroll.

End-game loot changes! A lot of epic gear and sets will be BoE. So now I cant:
- Reroll my ability score or race with a respec -> I have to make a new toon.
- I can't use the gear/companions of my old character -> I have to buy new gear/companions for the reroll char.
- I can't use my hard earned AD's to re-gear a new character -> I have to grind all those dungeons again.

Are you kidding me?

A small note on he economy and BoP:

Since gear has static stats and there is no way to remove gear from the game, it will constantly devaluate. Long term this can become a problem. Dungeons might not be "worth" it anymore.
However BoP would be worse. Why would I ever want to go to Epic Frozen Heart again once I get my t2 boots? I don't mind helping people out but if there's not even half of a carrot on that stick... I'm sorry.

There's other problems with the economy, loot & rewards but they are not that game-changing or breaking.

Possible solutions:
- Get rid of BoP.
- Allow me to unbind gear for a price.
- If you nerf/buff classes, make a propper respec available.

Too long, don't read version: Patch nerfed my build. I have to reroll since I can't reroll ability score or race. Can't use my old gears & companions on my reroll (BoE). Can't buy new gear sets (BoP). I am a sad panda.

disclaimer: I'm a theorycrafter and perfectionist at heart, that's why I love mmo's. I understand not all people are looking for the same experience as I am and would continue playing with a "not so perfect" character. I have put a lot of time and effort in this game and enjoyed doing so.. however it's all getting a bit too much for me. /sob
Post edited by icecreamcart on

Comments

• lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So you complain because you are min maxer, but for a min maxer you are extremely lazy, you want best possible stats and gear, but you don't want to work for them like you would in any other mmo, am I reading you right?

A friendly hint from someone who loves to play underpowered classes and prove to others they aren't that weak:
    1% more or less crit won't make a difference, ability score respec was eniough for me to correct my **** mistakes, it should be just as good for you to correct yours, if thats not enough for you, do what all other perfectionist min maxers do, reroll another char.
  • osadamaskosadamask Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ack, that is pretty frustrating. I really appreciate you giving your well thought out point of view on the recent changes. I have taken a snippet of your post and added it to my own.

Respecs should really allow for ability score/race changing as well. In the future, when your Diety plays a factor resets should include that as well.
  • icecreamcarticecreamcart Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »
    So you complain because you are min maxer, but for a min maxer you are extremely lazy, you want best possible stats and gear, but you don't want to work for them like you would in any other mmo, am I reading you right?

A friendly hint from someone who loves to play underpowered classes and prove to others they aren't that weak:
    1% more or less crit won't make a difference, ability score respec was eniough for me to correct my **** mistakes, it should be just as good for you to correct yours, if thats not enough for you, do what all other perfectionist min maxers do, reroll another char.

I already "worked" for my toon twice. It not only includes leveling and grinding dungeons/AD's but also an amount of time reading, spread sheats and maths.

I agree with you that it is a good thing that your ability score roll will never be disastrous. It prevents more casual and intuitive players from frustration. Your toon will still work properly and the biggest factor will be the player's skill.
    Yet the game still offers enough differences in ability rolls and gear that it is interesting for me to find a mathematical "best" build for my toon. From my perspective 1% crit is prety big and in most cases the difference will be somewhere around 5% when comparing an optimised build vs a non-optimised one.
    If you think about getting 5% extra crit (or any other stat) on your toon, you will need a lot of stats coming from runestones/enchants.

Hitting players with a nerf bat and not offering a propper respec, is not a very nice thing to do. It doesn't matter if you are hardcore or casual, f2p or p2w. Sadly they made it worse by using BoE/BoP. Nobody likes to start from zero

osadamask wrote: »
    Ack, that is pretty frustrating. I really appreciate you giving your well thought out point of view on the recent changes. I have taken a snippet of your post and added it to my own.

Respecs should really allow for ability score/race changing as well. In the future, when your Diety plays a factor resets should include that as well.

Well, thank you. I'd agree on deities, though atm it seems they wil stay as a roleplay feature for a long time. But since it is not game-breaking, I still don't understand why you should not be able to change it.