test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Wonky movement

thunderfoot23thunderfoot23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
I've been searching the forums but can't see anything that addresses this specific issue, so time to post myself.

Basically I have a huge problem moving in this game, not because of the keys or the mouse, but because of the collision detection.
About 20% of the time I get near another character or a wall or a tree it bounces me back 5 or 10 feet.
I cannot reliably run around town because of the problems I have near any other characters. Questing is easier because there are less people (it still happens with walls and trees but not as often).
But it's just horribly painful. Can we please stop it? Can you just do NOTHING when there's a collision detection instead of bouncing us back to where we were?
It's the absolute worst part of the game and something no other games do.

Thanks.
Post edited by thunderfoot23 on

Comments

• Options
    intheclloudsinthecllouds Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I was having the same issues after I friended someone. Turns out they didn't have the proper system requirments so I unfriended them. Problem solved but I don't know why.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    My only friend has adequate requirements but he's never on anyway, so it shouldn't make a difference.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I unfriended him but it didn't change anything. I figured it was a longshot.
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    This is a new one. I've never heard of this problem before.

Have you tried playing on a different PC? If you still have the same problems, then it looks like it's your account (I have heard of people with buggy accounts). Maybe you could make a new account and see if that fixes it.

Sorry, I can't think of anything else to try. But I wish you luck.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Hi,
    I can't check my other PC at the moment since it gets stuck at the Launcher white screen "Loading. Please wait." and never loads the game or patches. (It patches the launcher but the problem stays.)
    So I'm kind of stuck.
    It looks like it's not exactly collision detection. It certainly happens more often near things, but sometimes will happen just running down the road.
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It certainly happens more often near things, but sometimes will happen just running down the road.

Aha! That sounds like rubberbanding to me. This is a lag problem (and being in Australia I'm very familiar with this). You run a few paces forward, then you suddenly bounce back to where you were, as if a giant rubberband had snapped you back. It's definitely worse in 'Protector's Enclave' or anywhere else where there are a lot of people and NPCs.

Does this sound like what you're experiencing?
  • Options
    alzitaralzitar Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is latency related (lag). It wont be better until either you get closer to the physical server location or PW gets more servers/faster ones.
    to check latency type /netgraph 1 (/netgraph 0 to remove).
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    A little bit yes.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Netgraph shows all green, does it change colour at high levels?
    There are occasional spikes but none that look high.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It also doesn't always move me towards where I've been, sometimes it moves me sideways, which is why I thought it was bouncing me off things.
  • Options
    cuteschmooplescuteschmooples Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That's rubberbanding. Worst thing to happen in dungeon for me.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It happens less using my phone as a modem but still happens. obviously that's too expensive to do much