test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Last boss in lowbie Wolf Den Dungeon needs a nerf

captobvious8captobvious8 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
I've attempted this dungeon 3 times now. I'm at the recommended level for it (42), as well as most of my group mates. The dungeon isn't that tough till the final boss, but when we get there, the boss is a nightmare. My last group had TWO healers, and we couldn't keep people up. Mostly cause we couldn't keep ourselves up.

ONE single shadow wolf will hit me with a bite for 4k. I'm usually followed by 3 or 4 of them. My health is usually GONE in a couple seconds. Kiting doesn't work because they're faster than me. These mobs need to be nerfed, because my tank doesn't even have time to realize he needs to taunt before I'm dead.

I don't mind the red circles. I like the mechanic, because it keeps you on your toes. I don't even mind that they hit you so hard initially, because they're only mildly difficult to avoid once you get the hang of it. However, the 10 second stun-lock and the mysterious HARDER hit from out of nowhere while I'm prone needs to be changed. I get knocked up, I land, and I'm stunned for a bit. That's fine. But I'm stunned for maybe 8 or 10 seconds, which is way too long. I get eaten alive by wolves when this happens, or the boss charges me for ANOTHER 4 second stun or something. Then, while I'm prone, even if no one attacks me, I get inexplicably hit with another attack that does more damage than the red circle attack. But it's invisible. It seems like it's the second part of the red circle effect, but it's pointless and overpowered, because there's no animation for it, and I've been hit for over half my health a few times by it.

Please fix this, because this dungeon is a lot of time and effort spent trying to get to the end, just to have people quit over and over again at the end boss. I like that he's hard, so don't nerf him TOO much, but the last boss is currently impossible to do without a 60 with you. No one I know or have talked to has done this with a lowbie group.
Post edited by captobvious8 on

Comments

• morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It is a stupidly hard boss. There are a few tricks that help, however: every time the boss lands a melee hit, two wolves spawn. So get hit a little as possible. This means dismissing companions is actually a good idea. LittleMissHealBot loves to stand in the red, so she's just gonna produce more wolves. Send her home.

Next, pick a melee team member with good dodging skills (probably a TR), stick them on the boss. Just the one person. This minimises chances of wolfspawn further, since there's only one person in range to be hit. And if they're good at dodging, then woo.

The rest of you either keep that one guy alive, do ranged damage, or handle the adds. Adds spawn at about 70% and 25% health, and should be handled immediately. Especially the archer adds, who will kill your poor DC in short order if you're not careful.

The rest of the time just play "avoid the big boiling doomhands".
  • visinjivisinji Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Our group wiped a few times and only a few stayed to watch but I managed to kite the boss (the last party member died when the boss was at 80%), his wolves and random adds for almost a full hour. I used my level 43 CW, a health stone and one rez scroll, and just ran circles up and down the rock staircase. You have time to get one or two hits on him then you instantly dodge since he jumps simultaneously with his first red dot on you. If he manages to hit you, he gets a ton of cheap shots in and takes you very low in health. As soon as you stand, heal with a health pot, dodge and start kiting again, while cutting corners on that staircase area. The wolves will appear, after he hits you, and they just suck the life out of you, literally. So keep running and using your dodge. I didn't bother with killing the wolves unless they got in the way of my one hits on the boss, since they die after a very short time.

I'm sure folks have done this in my situation without a heal stone and a rez scroll, but my CW is a bit squishy and that's how I got through it. It just took forever since I had to chip away at the boss and constantly run for almost a solid hour. The worst parts were when the old adds would respawn. I just kept doing the same thing and since I'm a CW, my areas whittled them down eventually.

After all of that, I ended up getting a gwf's sword for the drop. Figures.

I've only ever completed this dungeon with one other group and I was the DC on that run. The other few times I was in pugs and those were total fails. The extra hits that you were talking about are what I referred to as the 'cheap shots' that the boss gets when you're down. I love the challenge but it is a bit tough for a group in there, much less a very lucky CW.
  • visinjivisinji Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    It is a stupidly hard boss. There are a few tricks that help, however: every time the boss lands a melee hit, two wolves spawn. So get hit a little as possible. This means dismissing companions is actually a good idea. LittleMissHealBot loves to stand in the red, so she's just gonna produce more wolves. Send her home.

Awesome idea. Seriously, we talked about it but didn't try it!
  • brostynbrostyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This boss take a lot of coordination.

Sadly, PuGs just aren't going to be able to do it consistently in a game that is f2p, and where one can get to 42 literally afking.

Don't expect a lot out of f2p PUGs.
  • darkstorn42darkstorn42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This boss is getting a nerf in the big patch.