test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

More D&D and less of whatever this is, please.

vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Please. :rolleyes:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
Post edited by vold316 on

Comments

• huckasexhuckasex Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    while i never played 4th edition, from what i gathered from my regular PnP group, its **** close to D&D
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Lol. Agreeeeeeeeed! Agreed, agreed, agreed. The topic says it all.
  • warfluxwarflux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It has aspects of dnd. Not sure what you want but it's not going to be just like pen and paper.
  • xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    gfs_45443_2_11.jpg

agreed.

oh wait. disagreed.
  • andomiindandomiind Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vold316 wrote: »

Can relate to you for sure,
    as there are thousands of different d&d type of dice, card, table and papers games
    and numerous way to play each of them.
    This is one form of mmo,
    sure Im all for a game where it actually mean something triggering a trap.
    That its necessary to strategist before entering a potential hostile situation.
    Clear a room, exploring and getting into the environment is key for building a story,
    and not burst run trough scenery to get to an objective and run back.
    Makes you use your brain, as in good old adventure games.
    Would love a sandbox game like that, that does not rely on RP alone.

But this is also a form I like, get together and go against the odds with fellow guildies.
  • vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree that there are aspects taken from d&d, I'm not going to argue about that.
    I will name one of the things that I consider far from being close to d&d 4e and is one of the main aspects of it:

Skills.

Now, think about that.:rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited June 2013
    Where i get confused is when people say "its an MMO" D&D rules wont work...

"MMO" is short for mass multiplayer online correct?

Which means lots of people play it and its an online video game.

This in no way, shape, form, or fashion explains the lack of D&D content.
  • teacherboiteacherboi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    If you want to play with D&D rules in an MMO, ply Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO).
  • kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    teacherboi wrote: »
    If you want to play with D&D rules in an MMO, ply Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO).

yea in the crappy world of Ebberon...
  • huckasexhuckasex Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    yea in the crappy world of Ebberon...

next update will be in FR
  • kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    huckasex wrote: »
    next update will be in FR

Oh good... I might take a look at it again... It could be better than what ever this junk labeled as DnD is. Their definition of cleric is punching bag worthless meat sack that they want to further nerf in to the ground.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013

You haven't played 4th Edition have you?

While Neverwinter isn't exact on 4th edition it is fairly on target with powers, classes, and play style to 4th edition.

Unfortunately Wizards of the Coast is only licensing 4th edition and presumably 5th edition when it comes out. There likely will be no new 3rd edition or older computer games.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    teacherboi wrote: »

Hmm, I don't know. I've read that you can't play properly without paying a cent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited June 2013
    Hmm, I don't know. I've read that you can't play properly without paying a cent.

while its abit more strict on the quest you have access to, you can play till cap without spending anything (and since you dont know them already, they also wont bore you)...esp since you get the points to buy more quests just by playing

i mean its free, just test it out :)
  • fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    How about no.
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • flatfootsamflatfootsam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree that there are aspects taken from d&d, I'm not going to argue about that.
    I will name one of the things that I consider far from being close to d&d 4e and is one of the main aspects of it:

Skills.

Now, think about that.:rolleyes:

Skills would be awesome.. I would love to see them introduced. Everything from jump, intimidate to even diplomacy and bluff. Having them could really improve upon the games customization aspects. This is one area Neverwinter could improve.
    The lost Halflings~Code:NW-DC5DGPFJR
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There's been a wide variety of digital D&D games over the years. From the SSI "gold box" games, to Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, to NWN, to the arcade games (like Shadows Of Mystara), to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, to DDO, to this..... who are you to say that a D&D game must display X% of the rules & mechanics of PnP D&D in order to be considered "D&D enough"?

/shrug
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nice to know that the OP is the Oracle on what is and isn't D&D.

:rolleyes:
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    There's been a wide variety of digital D&D games over the years. From the SSI "gold box" games, to Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, to NWN, to the arcade games (like Shadows Of Mystara), to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, to DDO, to this..... who are you to say that a D&D game must display X% of the rules & mechanics of PnP D&D in order to be considered "D&D enough"?

/shrug

You are right, what am I thinking... Who am I to say that I would enjoy it much more if they'd add skills, alignment, etc. I'm sorry, I'm way out of line.

Nice to know that the OP is the Oracle on what is and isn't D&D.

:rolleyes:

I can say that Truth or Dare isn't d&d, does that make me the oracle?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    bracer2 wrote: »
    Where i get confused is when people say "its an MMO" D&D rules wont work...
    "MMO" is short for mass multiplayer online correct?
    Which means lots of people play it and its an online video game.
    This in no way, shape, form, or fashion explains the lack of D&D content.
    Well, it's shorthand. MMORPG players understand the intended meaning.
    The turn-based mechanics of p&p D&D become problematic for an MMO environment. Even more problematic for an action crpg, like Neverwinter.
    Neverwinter is an action crpg in a D&D setting. And the setting and storylines are classic FR. So, in that sense it is spot-on D&D.
    For me, the important issue is whether the classes feel like like they actually fulfill they're roles.
    I would love to have more meaningful skill checks... but, there's plenty of time for that.
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »

/shrug

Ohhhhh about 90% of the gaming community, hence why WoTC scrapped 4E already and moving on to 5E.

I could take a poo in a plain cardboard box and write Dungeons and Dragons on it and it would be a better game than 4E.
  • delionivercourtdelionivercourt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 86
    edited June 2013
    I personally preferred d&d pre-fourth edition loved original and 1st edition through 3rd. Most people I knew who played it hardcore quit at 4th and continued playing D&D and AD&D through 3rd.
  • llfritzllllfritzll Member Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    You have to look at what an mmorpg really is.

90% combat, 10% other things.

roleplaying and things like that cannot really be programmed into the game. you will always get the same canned responses or results.

I am sure there are things they could add for flavor, but fluff usually comes later down the road after the major issues have been ironed out.
    edited June 2013
    I personally preferred d&d pre-fourth edition loved original and 1st edition through 3rd. Most people I knew who played it hardcore quit at 4th and continued playing D&D and AD&D through 3rd.

With you on that. 4e is quadruple garbage compared to previous versions of D&D. Nothing short of awful.
    edited June 2013
    llfritzll wrote: »

roleplaying and things like that cannot really be programmed into the game. you will always get the same canned responses or results.

I am sure there are things they could add for flavor, but fluff usually comes later down the road after the major issues have been ironed out.

..... MMORPG.....

Lots of people play it, and its and online Role Playing game. Thats even more confusing.

From what i see its a shoot um up, hack and slash with no RP.

Action MMO seems to describe it pretty well though. Just gotta cut out the RP, and the D&D:cool:
    edited June 2013
    llfritzll wrote: »

That is the problem that I see with MMORPG nowadays. The companies are not willing to innovate; they stick to the same old-structure, most of it taken from game that were successful a decade ago. They will keep entertaining those who are relatively new to MMORPG, but personally I am fed up with the same... When I started playing OB, I enjoyed NW, I really did, but I always thought that they would improve it a lot more before release, because there is a lot of d&d 4e features missing (Skills, Alignment, etc) that would make this game shine.
    Anyways, so far it seems that my expectations were too high.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited June 2013
    That is the problem that I see with MMORPG nowadays. The companies are not willing to innovate; they stick to the same old-structure, most of it taken from game that were successful a decade ago. They will keep entertaining those who are relatively new to MMORPG, but personally I am fed up with the same... When I started playing OB, I enjoyed NW, I really did, but I always thought that they would improve it a lot more before release, because there is a lot of d&d 4e features missing (Skills, Alignment, etc) that would make this game shine.
    Anyways, so far it seems that my expectations were too high.

Thats common, your not alone there. The standards and expectations i had for this game were very high, too high. I expected a vastly improved NWN2/DDO. With awesome graphics and a flawless walk-mesh, with of course D&D rules through and through. Its simply another ActionMMO though... Its fun, but it obviously did not live up to D&D standards.
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Its a game its never going to be 100% like the PnP game.
  • trocan678trocan678 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 65
    edited June 2013
    For those that say "it's an mmo, what do you expect?" Well, even though Eberron is a terrible setting, it was still much closer spiritually to D&D than whatever this is. These people must also not be familiar with the "Neverwinter Nights" franchise, with which this shares a name. While not an MMO, it was a PERFECT example of how tabletop concepts can be adapted to a computer game, AND it had a really cool multiplier environment.

Unfortunately I don't see this game ever doing justice to the D&D name. It's just a tera clone skinned in D&D concepts.

It's like when I was a child, I begged and begged for a remote control plane for Christmas. When I finally got it, what I received was one of those little six inch long toy planes tethered to a remote that simply flew around in circles on the tether. When I asked why that's what I was given, I was told "you asked for a remote control plane, and you got one." While TECHNICALLY true, you get the idea. You can call something by a given name, but it's not actually what it was meant to be.
  • trocan678trocan678 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 65
    edited June 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Its a game its never going to be 100% like the PnP game.

This isn't even 25% like the PnP game. That's the issue, and why this argument doesn't work. The only thing it shares with the PnP game are some ideas, skins, and vague concepts. Did you ever watch the Legend of the Seeker? Based on the books by Terry Goodkind? It's the same idea. The writers took the book series, got the rights to make a show, and then COMPLETLY remade the show in their own image while only vaguely referencing the source material. It was simply not the same, beyond some names, the environment, and the "Legend of the Seeker" theme.

It's like when someone takes your favorite book and makes a movie out of it that is in NO way like the book.

Mind you, I do not mind the game in a sense. It's fun, but.... it's not D&D, that's what I'm getting at. I've been waiting years and years for the "perfect" d&d game, and I had hope for this. But I'm extremely disappointed at the outcome. Will I still play it? Yes. Will I spend money on it? No. Because it's not the product I was expecting. If it was, I'd have GLADLY dropped 200$ on it, easily.
This discussion has been closed.