test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can this be done?

belberkbelberk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 81
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
Before I spend hours trying to figure this out, I thought I would post here to see if it is even possible.

In short I would like the player to "get arrested" in a tavern, fade to black, (map transition) fade in to awaken in a dungeon cell. I guess, from my limited knowledge of the Foundry, this would happen at the conclusion of the dialog prior to the map transition, but how would you piece that together so it isn't a choice?

Thanks for any help.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quests:
The Eternal Light NW-DO335J3SZ D.F.E.
Revenge Of The Companions NW-DMHJNCEY5

Campaign:
The Light In The Darkness NWS-DJIAO4D3J
An Unlikely Hero NW-DCFZNQZLR D.F.E.
The Puppet Master NW-DM8BI99QJ D.F.E.
Post edited by belberk on

Comments

• crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Go check out the fade to black effect in this quest and see if that is what you had in mind.
    Mind of Darkness:
    NW-DMIME87F5

also: check this thread:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?290442-Need-some-tips-for-dream-sequence-transition&highlight=dream
  • katah1969katah1969 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
    edited June 2013
    I suppose it could be done, but I'm not sure it would happen as you might think. If I were going to do this, most everything would be through dialogue prompts. Essentially what you would do is create your bar and fill it with whatever bar stuff you want - everything in the bar would be set to appear at the start of your quest. Through some interaction, reading a menu for example, you could put in place your guard coming to arrest the player. Again through dialogue the player would interact with the arresting character, a dialogue prompt would trigger a fade to black (hit on the back of the head or something) and then another dialogue prompt or start of another quest would end the fade. Now at the same time the fade happened, every item in your bar would be set to disappear and then when the fade to black ended every items you used in your jail would be set to appear.

Basically you are building walls up and everything inside for two sets and based on where you are in your story, you simply trigger one room or the other to be visible.

Smoke and mirrors really, but it can be done.
  • mosby1mosby1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 288 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It's done VERY well in Mind of Darkness. You can also see an example of this in the DM's Studio (NW-DHZ5DAV4R), without doing a quest. There's a portal where you spawn in to the "Blackout Room". Take that portal, and talk to the DM. He'll explain in more detail how it works. Enjoy!

Also, if you don't mind putting your respawn point in the prison cell, you can do this effect with a lot less work. Just force the player to move (by spawning something under him, or a fade-out box on him. In the published version (not in the Foundry editor version), this will port the player to the respawn point. But - that only works for one player, so....
    DM's Studio - NW-DHZ5DAV4R
    The Cursed Emerald:
    1. Weird of the Weather-witch -- NW-DEZAK4QPA
    2. The Ambitious Apprentice -- NW-DLRAVW4S4
  • belberkbelberk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 81
    edited June 2013
    I'll check out the link and do the DM's studio. If I had an item that is part of an interact with object event, could I use that item to map transition?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quests:

Campaign:
  • belberkbelberk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 81
    edited June 2013
    The DM's Studio is a great resource, but I decided to try something simpler. Well....it's eight hours later and I still can't figure out how to click on an item (specifically, a scroll) and transition to my next map. Any help?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quests:

Campaign:
  • myrmecoleonmyrmecoleon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 94
    edited June 2013
    Place the scroll in Map 1. Make sure you have both Map 1 and Map 2 in your Story tab. On the Map Transition objective between Map 1 and Map 2, select the scroll in the "Leave from" box.
    Crimson Descent (NW-DRWNLMGYV) - Solo 15-20m combat-focused adventure
    edited June 2013
    Place the scroll in Map 1. Make sure you have both Map 1 and Map 2 in your Story tab. On the Map Transition objective between Map 1 and Map 2, select the scroll in the "Leave from" box.

Thanks, I'll give it another try. I think I was doing it that way, but the scroll wasn't coming up as a select-able item for the leave from prompt..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quests:

Campaign: