test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gauntlgrym is 5 man content

gunbahahagunbahaha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 139
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've seen a lot of posts about the upcoming Gauntlgrym 'raid'. I'm going to make two statements about my interpretation of the released video preview of Gauntlgrym. Orange text are links and will be included throughout the post.

1. You will not be able to queue as a 20-man group for the PvP component of Gauntlgrym

I make this assumption for a few key reasons
  • The video indicates just a 5 man group UI - why wouldn't they include imagery of a raid UI just two weeks prior to launch? (proof)
  • The dungeon itself is a 5 man dungeon (more on this later) - what happens if you queue with 13 people?
  • They could solve the second point by FORCING a 20 man queue - but then content would not be accessible to anyone

2. Gauntlgrym is a 5 man PvE dungeon

Again, a few key details about the video give this away
  • The video displays an image of the final boss with a dungeon delves chest (proof)
  • Only five people are displayed in the dungeons, one of each class, for both dungeons (proof)
  • The dungeons are specifically referred to as 'EPIC DUNGEONS' (1:50), a classification currently used for the hardest 5 man content.
  • There isn't a single command in the entire game referring the string 'raid'. (proof)

If I had to make a guess as to how it's going to work - you queue with 5 players for the PvP zone, and you then are matched with 7 other 5 man teams, forming a 20 v 20 instance. The 4 groups on the winning side are allowed to enter the tier 2 dungeon seperately, and the same for the losing side, most likely just once.

There appears to be no system in game that allows for more than 5 people in a group at any one point, nor has any indication been given that this is the plan. If Cryptic (or a user with more information) could give some clarification that would be appreciated. I don't mind if the whole thing is 5 man content but that is information that needs to be clarified.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• desorodesoro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nothing new here Ghostrider. Raids are usually split into "Groups" of 5 for the purpose of UI, healing, and buffs. WoW adopted a "raid" wide system later in its development.

Adding a raid wide grouping system is essentially recreating a lot of abilities, buffs, commands, and etc.

EDIT: Guilds will still be able to form their own 20 man team. But they will have to make up 4 "Groups". I played WoW during that era of development.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dafuq you cryin' about? You first MMO??!
  • danxbxdanxbx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I wouldn't put any stock in the number of people in a marketing video. They may only have 5 showing because to looks better for promotion.
  • xaazxxaazx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The stupidity of the average NW player is staggering. I'll gladly refer back to this post when all the blind lemmings realize that this is a 5 MAN DUNGEON.

This game will never have a raid because the developers are too stupid to come up with a raid fight.

You will queue up or join with a 5 man, be added to other 5 mans to allow for 20v20 PvP(lol in this game). Once that is over, you will take your group - and god help you if it's a pug - and go into the probably much overhyped add filled dungeon fights.

After checking on what's coming, I can be happy that my decision to quit this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> was justified.
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xaazx wrote: »
    You will queue up or join with a 5 man, be added to other 5 mans to allow for 20v20 PvP(lol in this game). Once that is over, you will take your group - and god help you if it's a pug - and go into the probably much overhyped add filled dungeon fights.

PvE "resource gathering", then PvP, then the option of two 5-man instances. But basically.
  • gunbahahagunbahaha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 139
    edited June 2013
    danxbx wrote: »
    I wouldn't put any stock in the number of people in a marketing video. They may only have 5 showing because to looks better for promotion.

That doesn't explain the specific use of the term 'Epic Dungeon' and complete lack of a raid UI (despite all the other fully functional Gauntlgrym PVP UIs). I just see a lot of evidence, or clues that indicate that the entire thing is going to be a 5 man affair (except for the part where they glue 4 groups together for PvP).

I mean I'd love to be proven wrong, my guild seems to be convinced that this is a 20-man deal and is gearing up people appropriately, but I just can't find any evidence (in this video or in any form of developer correspondence) that indicates this is the case.
  • deacon777deacon777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    gunbahaha wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of posts about the upcoming Gauntlgrym 'raid'. I'm going to make two statements about my interpretation of the released video preview of Gauntlgrym. Orange text are links and will be included throughout the post.

1. You will not be able to queue as a 20-man group for the PvP component of Gauntlgrym

I make this assumption for a few key reasons
    • The video indicates just a 5 man group UI - why wouldn't they include imagery of a raid UI just two weeks prior to launch? (proof)
    • The dungeon itself is a 5 man dungeon (more on this later) - what happens if you queue with 13 people?
    • They could solve the second point by FORCING a 20 man queue - but then content would not be accessible to anyone

2. Gauntlgrym is a 5 man PvE dungeon

Again, a few key details about the video give this away
    • The video displays an image of the final boss with a dungeon delves chest (proof)
    • Only five people are displayed in the dungeons, one of each class, for both dungeons (proof)
    • The dungeons are specifically referred to as 'EPIC DUNGEONS' (1:50), a classification currently used for the hardest 5 man content.
    • There isn't a single command in the entire game referring the string 'raid'. (proof)

If I had to make a guess as to how it's going to work - you queue with 5 players for the PvP zone, and you then are matched with 7 other 5 man teams, forming a 20 v 20 instance. The 4 groups on the winning side are allowed to enter the tier 2 dungeon seperately, and the same for the losing side, most likely just once.

There appears to be no system in game that allows for more than 5 people in a group at any one point, nor has any indication been given that this is the plan. If Cryptic (or a user with more information) could give some clarification that would be appreciated. I don't mind if the whole thing is 5 man content but that is information that needs to be clarified.

You put way to much **** thought into this.

The email you got when you dinged 60 TELLS YOU the two dungeons in Gauntlgrym are 5 mans.

Durrrrr.
  • gunbahahagunbahaha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 139
    edited June 2013
    deacon777 wrote: »
    You put way to much **** thought into this.

The email you got when you dinged 60 TELLS YOU the two dungeons in Gauntlgrym are 5 mans.

Durrrrr.
    If Cryptic (or a user with more information) could give some clarification that would be appreciated.

Thanks! Needed to be 100% certain that preparing for any sort of raid content was a waste of time.
  • kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    From the video:
    "In this epic 40 player end-game event, competing heroes are divided into 2 factions of 20 and must wage war across 3 phases which includes player vs player and player vs environment encounters."

During the whole video the word faction is used presumably being all 20 players on the "faction". The way it is worded leads me to strongly believe the pve will be 20 player dungeons.

I think it's highly unlikely that the pve side of Gaunt will be 5 man dungeons.

The screenshot OP provided of the 5 classes is from the video. The only reason the 5 classes are together is because they are showing what hte new armor will look like, for all 5 classes. They do this twice for both t1 and t2.

As far as the delve chest and labelling of "epic dungeons" I don't think they are indicators of party size at all. It's quite possible delve chests will be in raids imo, just as possible that raid loot would be BoE. The label of epic dungeons to me doesn't mean 5 man pve content either, just means it'll be a place where an epic monster lives.

Edit: I stand corrected, the email does indeed say it is 5 man.
  • maiku217maiku217 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    How does it work when there're bots in the queue? :/
    ElfenLiedSig.gif
  • desorodesoro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My god, you cannot even reason with you people. Why don't you all move on so we can use the forums again? So sick of constant bashing by people that left the game on these forums.

You guys need to realize how sad it is to sit a game's forums that you hate, and constantly bash it. Test Shard is up, that is where I will be, because I PLAY the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dafuq you cryin' about? You first MMO??!