test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Upcoming CW changes

13»

Comments

• nelexnelex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm not exactly sure what "no dmg when you don't have line of sight or are out of range" means, but the fact that CoI, RoE and EF become DoT's also seems to mean it won't proc Eye of the Storm/Storm Spell after the initial hit anymore. Only on the first hit, if at all.
    Seems that isn't the case. Just tested it out on the preview server and I proc'ed Nightmare wizardry, storm spells and Eye of the storm few times during CoI and RoE ticks. (mind you, I only got EoS only once during the spell effect, but I will attribute that do the low percentage chance, rather then the DoT thing, as couple times when it activated was in the middle of the ticks).
  • capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    xratas wrote: »
    1. It is beta. Expect changes.
    2. Build upon most overpowered combination. Expect to get nerfed.
    3. GWF is not a tank, it is AoE DPS. It says so in it's description. I don't care what it is in tabletop game, this is far from it.

Being completely OP is fun for a while, yes. Enjoy while it lasts, don't expect it to be permanent. It is time to learn to play now... ; )

Coming from someone who rolled a GWF and you tell me to lrn to play. You rolled a broken class in the first place. You choose to do it or was it you didnt read up or play beta. Lol
  • crystal892fcrystal892f Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    I am pretty sure the list of "fixes" will be a lot bigger than what was already stated. 3 weeks of fooling around with the updates on the test server will definitely contribute to additional fixes/tweeks.
    Okay, there you are more optimistic than I am. :-D
    With regards to PvP, I think we still have major advantages. It's just been so easy for us CWs staying on Caps while getting kills, that most of us refuse to even consider getting less points by sniping from a distance or elevated grounds. Also, every Renegade and their mother want every opportunity to inch closer just to make use of Reaper's Touch.
    I think the classes are closer now to being balanced, at least for PvP. Players now just have to play their advantages, instead of just thinking bursts.
    Maybe you have made different PvP experiences. Or I'm just bad - I don't know. :-D But I find PvP as a CW quite hard:
    - TRs burst me down more easily than I can and disable me before I can even disable them (out of stealth).
    - DCs are unkillable for me in their Astral Shield unless I proc Eye of the Storm.
    - GFs can disable me to death (what I find quite funny, since I, as a _C_W, can't do as effective) and have a block to come near enough to do so.
    - GWFs have their CC immunity to stay on top of you.

Additons to the above:
    1. I don't play on the test shard. My experiences are from live PvP.
    2. I read the PvP guide here in the forum and tested it, but
    3. I don't lose every 1on1, but players who have a understanding of their build and class are a real challenge for me.

Edit to avoid double post:
    nelex wrote: »
    Seems that isn't the case. Just tested it out on the preview server and I proc'ed Nightmare wizardry, storm spells and Eye of the storm few times during CoI and RoE ticks. (mind you, I only got EoS only once during the spell effect, but I will attribute that do the low percentage chance, rather then the DoT thing, as couple times when it activated was in the middle of the ticks).
    That's interesting to know - thanks for your research.
  • honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sounds like you have low gear compared to your opponents.

TRs are a joke unless they have their daily up. Watch for the hints they are nearby and use your dodges properly.

DCs are also easily killed. You should have RoE on Tab in PVP, keep it up on them constantly and burn them down.

GFs are stupid. They can hit you for 15-20k+ in a single hit while keeping you on your back constantly. Yes, in PVP they CC ten times better than we can. Hope for some lag and spam dodge to the SIDE, then time your next 2 dodges good until you've got distance and can CC and burn them down.

GWFs are also fairly easy, just be sure to dodge their big slow attacks. Sometimes they can do pretty good if they pop everything they've got.
    edited June 2013
    Sounds like you have low gear compared to your opponents.

TRs are a joke unless they have their daily up. Watch for the hints they are nearby and use your dodges properly.

DCs are also easily killed. You should have RoE on Tab in PVP, keep it up on them constantly and burn them down.

GFs are stupid. They can hit you for 15-20k+ in a single hit while keeping you on your back constantly. Yes, in PVP they CC ten times better than we can. Hope for some lag and spam dodge to the SIDE, then time your next 2 dodges good until you've got distance and can CC and burn them down.

GWFs are also fairly easy, just be sure to dodge their big slow attacks. Sometimes they can do pretty good if they pop everything they've got.

I have the PvP set and T1 accessories. No weapon or armor enchantment.

TRs don't need their dailies to kill me. I encountered some TRs who threw me to death with their knives out of stealth. No joke.
    I use RoE on my Spell Mastery. Still I don't do enough damage against DCs without EotS to negate their heal.
    Thanks for your tips for GFs and GWFs.

I would consider myself quite good with dodging, but I find 3 dodges just too few to get away from those close combat fighters (no offense :-D). One more could already do the trick.

Edit: Spelling.
  • copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Okay, there you are more optimistic than I am. :-D

Maybe you have made different PvP experiences. Or I'm just bad - I don't know. :-D But I find PvP as a CW quite hard:
    - TRs burst me down more easily than I can and disable me before I can even disable them (out of stealth).
    - DCs are unkillable for me in their Astral Shield unless I proc Eye of the Storm.
    - GFs can disable me to death (what I find quite funny, since I, as a _C_W, can't do as effective) and have a block to come near enough to do so.
    - GWFs have their CC immunity to stay on top of you.

Additons to the above:
    1. I don't play on the test shard. My experiences are from live PvP.
    2. I read the PvP guide here in the forum and tested it, but
    3. I don't lose every 1on1, but players who have a understanding of their build and class are a real challenge for me.

Edit to avoid double post:

That's interesting to know - thanks for your research.

Yes, I've been PvPing from lvl10 all the way to 60. As you go up in tiers, you get to learn alot about the other classes. Then you dabble some more playing some alts, and then you really understand them. Once you know exactly how other classes function, it becomes a lot easier to beat them.

- With TR, you can actually Teleport from some of their big hits, if you time it right. You get a good distance from the TR and he is toast.
    - DCs should never kill you. And attempting to burst them down while they are standing on their shield is not ideal. So you just need to knock them back away from their shield, and it's game over for them.
    - GFs are really tough actually. But their block cant be up all the time. Dont waste your encounters/dailies while they are blocking. Just spam your at-will on them until you see them taking damage, then CC and burst.
    - GWF just need to be kited while they are Unstoppable. It only last a few seconds, and you have 3 teleports to use. They can be tough if they are specced for PURE PvP, which in that case they can stunlock you.

Slotting for PvP makes the biggest difference thought. Powers like Ray of Enfeeblement, Ice Knife, Icy Rays, Entangling Force are like staples of PvP. You need to think single target burst and CC, when choosing your powers.

It's a learning curve. The more PvP you do, the better you get at it.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • threeravensthreeravens Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2013
    Might also consider the control buff passive instead of Storm Spell - even a tiny increase in cc uptime can mean life and death in pvp.
    edited June 2013
    Might also consider the control buff passive instead of Storm Spell - even a tiny increase in cc uptime can mean life and death in pvp.

If you have lots of DoTs, like I do in my build, and if you are using Plague Fire enchants, Storm Spell is will actually be your 2nd or 3rd most damaging ability. Storm Spell is THE most insane class feature.
  • wudwaenwudwaen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    But when are we actually going to have spells worth putting in our spell books?

Since nothing in the books means anything:
    Adamantine Arrow (bonus pen), Fog of Debilitation (DoT to stats and health), Armor's Bane (rusts armor down to clothing stat), Summon Nightmare (renders victim convulsive and screaming until struck), Tathlum (skull catapults forth causing fear and weakness for 5 m radius from point of impact), and so many more possibilities.

What I would really like to see is a FRACKING WIZARD to begin with, since there really isn't one currently in the game.
    Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. ~ Cecil Beaton
  • johnygwapojohnygwapo Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    **** no changes for oppressor (still useless huh?). need reset coin! fck it! haha
    edited June 2013
    There is nothing changing to make the game worth playing as more than a log in to see if anything is worth playing yet.
    Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. ~ Cecil Beaton
    edited June 2013
    wudwaen wrote: »
    But when are we actually going to have spells worth putting in our spell books?

Since nothing in the books means anything:
    Adamantine Arrow (bonus pen), Fog of Debilitation (DoT to stats and health), Armor's Bane (rusts armor down to clothing stat), Summon Nightmare (renders victim convulsive and screaming until struck), Tathlum (skull catapults forth causing fear and weakness for 5 m radius from point of impact), and so many more possibilities.

What I would really like to see is a FRACKING WIZARD to begin with, since there really isn't one currently in the game.

You do understand that by asking for these types of changes, you're also asking for a COMPLETE overhaul of the ENTIRE End-Game content, right? Otherwise you would get really cool Powers, that sound great on paper, but have absolutely no practical use in any T2 with their current mechanics.
    I am not saying I don't want variety. But I also know Cryptic well enough to guarantee you they won't put in the effort to change the content. The latest update is a perfect example of how they intend to fix things moving forward.
  • kaasdoekkaasdoek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Trying Opressor. Did Evocation + Chilling Presence and all the aoe feats for maximum damage on Chillstrike on TAB.

I still need boots for High Vizier's they went to 400k on Beholder <_<. Chill still sucks in PvP. the Freeze hardly lasts and when it breaks your damage output can decrease by around 30% for the first few seconds.

Also sad to see that the AOE feats do not affect CoI. Ray sucks now, the debuff is hardly noticeable :(
  • riffduckriffduck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ok so I was a self built Renegade CW. I just randomized my feats and powers with what made sense and as such, had 9305 GS with full Gladiator Mage Orb and all 4 pieces on. I log in today and now have 8840 ish I also had a founder respec and wonder if I will still get a free one in case I screw up (again) or is it 1 regardless?

I am using my respec from Founder and wonder how to get my GS back up so I can do Castle Never. I don't know which stats and feats will boost my GS, anyone have a link that can help now that I'm locked out of content I previously had access to but hadn't tried, before I just delete the game and kiss off the $60 and go back to other games? Tried the google machine and didn't see much, still searching here but running out of patience :(

Great job PWE you are about to lose this cash cow.
  • drussivdrussiv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't see what's all the fuss is about. I still consider us CW OP, even after these change. First of all, I dont see ANY nerf to our "Primary" role, and that is crowd control. Second, most of the people complaining are those who started with the cookie cutter Renegade build, without really exploring what other synergies are available. If you never thought a crit focused/stacked build with a bugged Crit Severity T2 armor set was going to be toned down, then you were delusional.
    CWs will still be the cornerstone of any T2, and that alone makes the class OP. Changes to other classes, and mechanics, may make our job harder. But I think it is all for the better. Now we really need to focus more on control and less on the Scorecard.

Then take away control from other classes. Knock down, silence, on the melee classes and now a huge deal more damage than nerfed CW means in PvP "crowd" control CW will be useless - there is no crowd to control. It will work in dungeons with huge mobs to control them with almost perma AS but that won't work in PvP.
  • abandinusabandinus Member Posts: 62
    edited June 2013
    drussiv wrote: »
    Then take away control from other classes. Knock down, silence, on the melee classes and now a huge deal more damage than nerfed CW means in PvP "crowd" control CW will be useless - there is no crowd to control. It will work in dungeons with huge mobs to control them with almost perma AS but that won't work in PvP.

Does anyone have a good PvP build after the patch? TR, GWF, GF can 3 shot me and my dmg sucks now that RoE is nerfed hard. Everyone says go control that we are supposed to doing control not dmg but the tank can 3 shot me? What good is control when GWF are immune and 3 shot me? I'm sure ppl will say I suck so plz share your build and video AFTER THE PATCH and let us see your awesomeness.

I will now be rolling GWF.
  • qinnuxqinnux Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dissappointed.
    Too many pvp based nerfs.
    Just like every <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> game - nerfs are based off endgame chars with ultra sets and upgrades + pvp.
    Leaving casual pve players who dont have the ultimate gear yet into deep ****.

TBH i specially dotn understandthe Storm Pillar nerfs. It was THE weakest dps skill already - its dps is a joke and it has no bonus attributes of any kind (chill, stun, debuff or anything) + the recharge is long just to get little extra dps out of it.
  • honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm actually doing fine in PVP. Had almost 20 kills last match and was top by far, did fine the 2 matches above that (Renegade, Shadow Weave set, vorpal enchant). That said, I think being careful is a good idea because I still see nightmare wizardy proccing on myself occasionally lol

But yes, some other classes have gotten ridiculous. GWF can kill you while they CC you now, and GF still can (always have been able to).
  • qinnuxqinnux Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    thats for pvp... pve is even worse - the nerf of making many skills proper dot based means that each one has separate crit calculation (unless changed) - so overall less bonus from crit-s for those skills - each tick hasa chance for crit and at small damage the crit bonus is small also.

Useless skills are still useless/weak and good ones got some nerf.
    It all looked based off best/highest geared players and pvp - not normal gameplay and pve. Cant you just add to skills like "-20% debuff effectiveness in pvp" -_-.
    edited June 2013
    abandinus wrote: »
    Does anyone have a good PvP build after the patch? TR, GWF, GF can 3 shot me and my dmg sucks now that RoE is nerfed hard. Everyone says go control that we are supposed to doing control not dmg but the tank can 3 shot me? What good is control when GWF are immune and 3 shot me? I'm sure ppl will say I suck so plz share your build and video AFTER THE PATCH and let us see your awesomeness.
    Yeah, I would appreciate some tips now, too. Going chill still isn't very effective - at least I haven't found a effective way to utilize it. The damage is too low.
    Maybe you are supposed to go with the other classes now and help them kill a player by locking him down. But TR, GWF, GF can do this quite good on their own.
    So I'm not sure what my role is in PvP anymore. My damage can be tanked by a GWF and GF like a champ and control to help other players in your team is not really needed, since they can do that on their own.
    qinnux wrote: »
    the nerf of making many skills proper dot based means that each one has separate crit calculation (unless changed) - so overall less bonus from crit-s for those skills - each tick hasa chance for crit and at small damage the crit bonus is small also.
    So that means the change from tick to DoT. Was wondering. Thanks for clarification. And yeah, this sucks. :(
    edited July 2013
    You do understand that by asking for these types of changes, you're also asking for a COMPLETE overhaul of the ENTIRE End-Game content, right? Otherwise you would get really cool Powers, that sound great on paper, but have absolutely no practical use in any T2 with their current mechanics.
    I am not saying I don't want variety. But I also know Cryptic well enough to guarantee you they won't put in the effort to change the content. The latest update is a perfect example of how they intend to fix things moving forward.

They should never have limited the classes by role. They should have established the classes with optional builds to play various roles. Design Fail!
  • drakonadrgoradrakonadrgora Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    wudwaen wrote: »
    They should never have limited the classes by role. They should have established the classes with optional builds to play various roles. Design Fail!

I have to disagree with you on this. Each class should be limited to what it can do so there is no one super class that can do everything at once. Each class in the game is meant for a specific role, not the devs fault if you cannot understand that and just want a super build like in Border Lands where it did not matter really which toon you choose you still could easily dominate the game. This is the way that NW is meant to be played. Each class has a role to play so each is needed in a group for optimum playability.
    edited July 2013
    I have to disagree with you on this. Each class should be limited to what it can do so there is no one super class that can do everything at once. Each class in the game is meant for a specific role, not the devs fault if you cannot understand that and just want a super build like in Border Lands where it did not matter really which toon you choose you still could easily dominate the game. This is the way that NW is meant to be played. Each class has a role to play so each is needed in a group for optimum playability.

It is the Devs fault. They took a system that was designed based on classes which could effect various roles and reversed it to roles controlling a single class. They utterly failed to comprehend the vary basis of Role Play and set role play in an MMO setting back decades. Even the original Bard's Tale was closer to role play than this.

What those supporting this system want is lazy games where you don't have to think about what your setting up and what you are doing. They want the character defined for them, like Gauntlet, and avoid all imagination. Well, the devs gave it to you. However, this is not D&D, is not themed like D&D, is not related to D&D, and is effectively fraudulent in claiming any connection to D&D. It should be "New Gauntlet" and drop all names, locations, and maps based on D&D.

And limiting the classes to what they can do does not limit them to specific roles. Rogues, through the use of poisons, targeted attacks on specific body parts, etc. should be able to provide control at a melee level - completely through the Rogue style of play. Clerics should use divine powers not throw fireballs, while wizards are limited to one and only one narrow and myopic spell set. Wizards should not be CONTROL WIZARDS they should be WIZARDS, PERIOD. The choice of spells and theme of powers should cover the entire gamut of magic, not force all wizards to be backdoor bartenders keeping peoples whiskey cold. All classes should be able to effect all styles of play within their venue. Otherwise you do not have an RPG you have an old fashioned video game. If that is all you want, go play Frogger.
  • alaerickalaerick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    It's unfortunate but CW just feel broken in pvp now. At lower levels they feel godlike at higher levels they feel inept.
    A beautiful death awaits you...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
    Campaign: The Battle of Neverwinter - NWS-DOQXFA4ZD
    Prologue: A not so simple plan - NW-DCJG75B9D
  • cleanorcleanor Member Posts: 40
    edited July 2013
    Hardly, read some of the recent pvp threads for help.
  • gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    cleanor wrote: »
    Hardly, read some of the recent pvp threads for help.

You mean where they demand CWs be nerfed because they are immune to everything? Those are about as valid as the complaints that Rogues are OP because they have 100% dodge against all attacks.

Please don't confuse the activities of cheaters as actually representative of the state of a class.
  • cleanorcleanor Member Posts: 40
    edited July 2013
    I'm not referring to any such cheating threads.

There are many of us that feel CWs are great in PVP, and some experienced players have taken their time recently to give feedback on the things that make them successful.