test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A good OR logic trigger method.

zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
Pretty much using a similar method to the timer method described here, you can create an OR logic trigger by using 1 encounter, 1 room, 2 patrol points, and X details (where X is the number of operands).

Here is the method:
  1. Place a Cave or Royal Crypt room, which has a deadfall in it, near enough to the location you will need the OR logic that the player will never be further than 250' away.
  2. Place a number of small platforms, I like "platform woodscaffolding 10x10", in a line over the deadfall.
  3. Place any single mob encounter on the line of details, set to looping patrol with two patrol points, one at each end of the line.
  4. Set the "disappear when" of each platform in the line to a different operand, dialogue prompt, component complete, objective, etc.
  5. Use "component complete" pointing to the encounter in step #3 to take advantage of the OR logic.

Hope this helps until new logic is added by Cryptic.
Don't Panic.
airplane-2-o.gif
Okay, Panic.
Post edited by zoiks100 on

Comments

• ash4llash4ll Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Well played, sir. Well played.
    Review trades - Need to trade review? Read first post for further info.
    Siegebreaker - NW-DGDPWV2U5 - story about the ambush, escape and great rescue of the city.
    I'm a streamer and I know it!
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wow. I just... there's something so amazingly cool about working around lack of features like this.

Reminds me of stories of programming with extremely limited memory, like back in the 80s.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This sounds interesting. Yet I'm not sure how it is to be used to what end. To be used for something other than the dialogue prompts? I'm not following, can you give me an example how this can be used?

I'm planning on linking all these tricks (timers, random generators, OR gates, etc) to the FAQ.
  • zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well for example, say you have a situation where you have 5 doors to choose from, 1 which is the real exit, and 4 which are red herrings but interacting with any of those 4 will trigger an ambush.

You would use 4 platforms in your line, each set to disappear when one of the 4 red herring doors is completed.

Then you would place the ambush encounter somewhere near those doors and have the appear when the trigger mob is completed.

What would happen when the player interacts with one of the red herring doors is the associated platform would disappear, meaning the trigger mob would fall into the deadfall as soon as he tried to patrol across it. That would then trigger the spawn of the ambush.

Without OR logic you would have been forced to have 4 separate ambush encounters, and after the player defeated an ambush the others could still be triggered unless you somehow blocked it off.
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.
  • aggropotatoaggropotato Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Awesome! Bookmarking this thread for future reference.
    JtuEMvw.jpg
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zoiks100 wrote: »
    Well for example, say you have a situation where you have 5 doors to choose from, 1 which is the real exit, and 4 which are red herrings but interacting with any of those 4 will trigger an ambush.

You would use 4 platforms in your line, each set to disappear when one of the 4 red herring doors is completed.

Then you would place the ambush encounter somewhere near those doors and have the appear when the trigger mob is completed.

What would happen when the player interacts with one of the red herring doors is the associated platform would disappear, meaning the trigger mob would fall into the deadfall as soon as he tried to patrol across it. That would then trigger the spawn of the ambush.

Without OR logic you would have been forced to have 4 separate ambush encounters, and after the player defeated an ambush the others could still be triggered unless you somehow blocked it off.

I think I follow you, selecting one keeps the others from being effective. So only one mob would ever spawn.

You have created an effective NOR gate, which is also helpful. Nice!