test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Leadership path broken

angelwings1337angelwings1337 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I just got lv 15 Leadership and the ability to "Train Adventurer" But to do that it requires 4 Man at Arms. I do not have the ability to make man-at Arms. I just have footman. So obviously the man at arm button is missing from the Leadership tree.
Post edited by angelwings1337 on

Comments

• Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Footman-at-arms?
    x:<
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    miasmatmiasmat Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 318 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2013
    Man-at-arms come from the leadership reward boxes. That task to Train Adventurer lets you turn 4 of the green quality Man-at-Arms into 1 blue quality Adventurer. There's a task to turn 4 Adventurers into 1 Hero at level 18 Leadership.

If you never opened a box, or got unlucky, you might only ever have the white quality Mercenary, Guard and Footman assets. Those don't seem to be upgradable to the green quality ever.
  • Options
    nalravnalrav Member Posts: 33
    edited June 2013
    yea. Part of their plan to get you to buy from the zen market, either professions pack or lockboxes. Yay for pay to craft.
  • Options
    izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A friend has several man-at-arms. He says he made them, though he is only level 14. He think they might have been on the rare tab, the ones that change. He has in fact opened lockeboxes, and I am not myself certain he is forgetting that he got them from a box.

In any event, I do know for certain you can buy the man-at-arms on the auction for 19,000 astral diamonds on dragon shard. So you really don't need zen.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    izatar wrote: »
    A friend has several man-at-arms. He says he made them, though he is only level 14. He think they might have been on the rare tab, the ones that change. He has in fact opened lockeboxes, and I am not myself certain he is forgetting that he got them from a box.

In any event, I do know for certain you can buy the man-at-arms on the auction for 19,000 astral diamonds on dragon shard. So you really don't need zen.

Yes, the lockboxes have a pack that has leadership assets. You cannot get them just from profession tasks.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I just got lv 15 Leadership and the ability to "Train Adventurer" But to do that it requires 4 Man at Arms. I do not have the ability to make man-at Arms. I just have footman. So obviously the man at arm button is missing from the Leadership tree.

It's not broken. It's working exactly as intended. Every man-at-arms comes from a player purchase except those that are farmed from the graveyard quest.
  • Options
    angelwings1337angelwings1337 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That is complete and utter B U L L. I have been opening profession packs every week in order to advance my crafting skills and I cannot reach end crafting ever without buying the tools needed to craft, Via Zen keys? Or paying someone AD who has go these items with Zen?

pay to Win OMG.. I Quit.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That is complete and utter B U L L. I have been opening profession packs every week in order to advance my crafting skills and I cannot reach end crafting ever without buying the tools needed to craft, Via Zen keys? Or paying someone AD who has go these items with Zen?

pay to Win OMG.. I Quit.

Buhbye then.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

pay to Win OMG.. I Quit.

2 things:

1. You can buy man at arms from the AH. They run between 18K and 25K buyout each on my server. You don't have to spend any Zen.

2. While they are very nice, you do not need any of the green, blue or purple assets. A rank 3 footman (white quality) can be used for any and all leadership tasks. Same with the "worn" quality tools sold in the profession shop.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    dexymandexyman Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    flappyj wrote: »
    I'm looking to swap out some games I'm not going to play again for some stuff I would make use of. Up for trade I have:

1) Darkfall: Unholy Wars account - hardcore, full-loot, PvP-focused MMORPG good in both NA and EU but has no playtime remaining. $15 per month to play, but if you were planning to spend $40 on the initial purchase price this would save you $25 off that. There's a very low level character with some random items you can feel free to delete or use as you prefer.

2) Neverwinter Online - MMORPG game account with a level 60 rogue and about 150k Astral Diamonds, full set of epic PvP gear, lots of other assorted items and things.

3) Simcity (2013) Limited Edition + Deadspace 3 - 2x Origin accounts with these two games on it, and the associated hotmail accounst which were create specifically for them. Bought the copies of Simcity as preorders to play with gf but the launch of this game was not pretty, to be polite. On the other hand, they are up to patch 4.0 and I've heard its improved but I've got no desire to play now.

What I'm looking for:

1) GW2 account - I'd like to try the PvP in this game, doesn't matter what level the character is or anything like that.

2) TERA Online account - any with a level 60 character

3) TERA Online gold/items - would have to be on Mt. Tyrannus server, I've got a 43 priest I'm slowly leveling

4) Steam trades - open to whatever offers

5) Other offers - surprise me

If interested you can contact me at flapjackstack1@live.com (have Steam and Ventrilo as well) Thanks!

someone ban this muppet
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

pay to Win OMG.. I Quit.
    You can advance without getting these assets.
    dexyman wrote: »
    someone ban this muppet

Hopefully also his game account so he can't swap it :p
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    someone ban this muppet

Please stop quoting him or the forum ignore is pointless.

User CP -> Edit Ignore List
  • Options
    joewoodcutter1joewoodcutter1 Member Posts: 100
    edited June 2013
    In most games crafting is fun and exciting, heres its just a long boring grind.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    someone ban this muppet

And don't forget to punish the muppets who QUOTE HIM IN FULL so that even when the poster is banned you still have to see his trash because of people that QUOTE HIM IN FULL.
  • Options
    kindyrekindyre Member Posts: 101
    edited June 2013
    In most games crafting is fun and exciting, heres its just a long boring grind.

What games?

MMOs by nature, and their crafting systems by extension, tend to be grindy in my experience.

The system in this game is actually feels like much less of a grind than most, to me, because you don't have to sit there and keep repeating 5-10 second jobs a hundred thousand times. You just set a bunch of jobs that last 1+ hours and go about your business. Once they're done, you swap in a new job and off you go again. You gain profession levels whenever you do; there's really not much effort or grind on your part required... your slaves, er, "assets" do the grinding for you.

Does it take time? Sure. But not much of your time. It's not like you have to sit there and watch the progress bars...

Anyway, on topic: You don't need the green/blue/purple workers for anything. You can craft everything there is to craft without them. All they do is provide a bigger speed boost, making the jobs complete faster. That said, the green ones are very cheap on the AH and quite worth it. They act like white tier 3 workers in the sense that they can do any job, but do it faster than the white ones.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Best thing about NWO crafting system: separate crafting inventory. That alone beast 90% of other systems by a MILE.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    Best thing about NWO crafting system: separate crafting inventory. That alone beast 90% of other systems by a MILE.

In other MMOs I can buy (with in-game money) a lot more space than the crafting inventory. It certainly beats not having a separate crafting inventory but that's it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ^ It's not the space, it's the mess and chaos that a gazillion of crafting mats mixed in the same space as gear and consumables create.

In fact, I also wish they had a separate tab for pots and consumables, a'la The Witcher.
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    In other MMOs I can buy (with in-game money) a lot more space than the crafting inventory. It certainly beats not having a separate crafting inventory but that's it.
    The materials bag has space for a stack of each material (unrefined, refined, rare, etc.) with room left. I'm not sure how much can be in each stack, but it's more than 300 (likely at least 999). The most resources I've seen a task use is 15 (Refugees), so running out of resource space without even spending any Zen, AD or Gold seems unlikely in anything but an extreme hoarding scenario. As far as I can see (I could have missed a material or two), the remaining space is enough for a new profession with entirely new materials.

The Asset bag has 180 slots, which once again should cover any non-hoarding scenario. (non-hoarding) Leadership should take at most 50 slots, 18 for soldiers and 18 for assets if you want to use all 9 task slots for Leadership w. speed boost (after you've unlocked them of course), with a bit of wiggle room for soldiers needing upgrades to higher quality/rank. And you should have enough space to fit in a decent amount of tools and assets for each of the other 4 professions, though not enough to be able to fill out all 9 slots with just one type for all 4.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    ^ It's not the space, it's the mess and chaos that a gazillion of crafting mats mixed in the same space as gear and consumables create.

Well, most MMOs I've played extensively had either item sorting or placed items in certain bags depending on the type or allowed addons that could do that.
    In fact, I also wish they had a separate tab for pots and consumables, a'la The Witcher.

Don't forget collectables and enchants.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ^ Enchants are essentially consumables, so put em into the same tab. Collectables can go f*ck themselves lol.

I spent about a year in DDO, and all the crafting materials and bouncing between various bags and figuring out what bag takes what and which materials are bound etc. was AWFUL.

Backtrack even more to RF online - half the bank and usually 1-2 inventory tabs constantly filled with ore, shards, upgrade stones yada yada yada. 3x worse if you play the crafting class. Sorting that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> by hand took waaaay too much time for my liking.
  • Options
    nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So let me get this straight, while crafting leadership, at some point the game tells you that you need a certain type of soldier, lists it by name. But you don’t actually need that type. You can use other kinds to work that tier of the craft?

Is that right?
  • Options
    kindyrekindyre Member Posts: 101
    edited June 2013
    nornsavant wrote: »
    So let me get this straight, while crafting leadership, at some point the game tells you that you need a certain type of soldier, lists it by name. But you don’t actually need that type. You can use other kinds to work that tier of the craft?

Is that right?

The game tells you that you need a Tier 1, Tier 2 or Tier 3 worker to work a task. For Leadership, this corresponds to Mercenary, Guard and Footman. These are all White / "Common" quality and available entirely without involvement of the cash shop in any way. Purely ingame. You can "craft" them yourself without anything or anybody's help or intervention. You can work all jobs in Leadership with just these three types of soldiers.

In addition to that, but separate from it, there are also Green, Blue and Purple soldiers. For Leadership, they are called Man-At-Arms, Adventurer and Hero. All three of them are Tier 3 workers just like the Footman. They can do anything a Footman can, and a Footman can do anything they can. The only difference is the speed modifier on them. Footman performs tasks with a 5% speed boost (just like all White workers). The Green, Blue and Purple workers have a 10%, 25% and 50% speed boost, respectively.

Note that the percentages are not straight time reduction... the formula works like this: Time to complete task = Base Task Time / (1 + p), where p is the sum of the percentages of all workers involved in decimal form. So the 50% speed boost on the Purple worker will actually only reduce the task time to about 67% (two thirds time), rather than down to 50% (half time), and only if he's the only worker (some jobs can use up to 4 workers). Basically, it's a diminishing returns system... the bigger the reduction, the less effect per % point.

Edit: To answer your question: No, the game is not lying to you. You merely misunderstood "Tier" to mean "Quality/Color". They are two different things entirely.
  • Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nornsavant wrote: »

Is that right?

No. Asset requirements are never specified by name. They are specified by types, which are listed on assets. Resource requirements are specified by name (and sometimes assets are used as resources, specifically the upgrade tasks).

For example, a low level Leadership mission requires an asset with the types "Person", "Leadership", and "Level 1", which all leadership people have.

High level Leadership missions require an asset with the types "Person", "Leadership", and "Level 3", which the Footman and all Uncommon or better leadership people have. They also require an asset with type "Infantry Weapon" and one with type "Infantry Armor", which both the vendor-purchased white ones and the green ones have.
  • Options
    nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ahhh that is where I am making the mistake then, assuming there is some requirement by name. I am thusly enlightened. And that is good information, especially for anyone inclined to be prickly about the crafting system.
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Not broken, just encouraging you to visit the Zen store. You do realize that Neverwinter is funded by $$MONEY$$ and not donations right? I don't get why people get so upset when asked for money playing a "free-to-play" MMORPG then turn around and drop $60 on a new game without hesitation...
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »
    Not broken, just encouraging you to visit the Zen store. You do realize that Neverwinter is funded by $$MONEY$$ and not donations right? I don't get why people get so upset when asked for money playing a "free-to-play" MMORPG then turn around and drop $60 on a new game without hesitation...

I refuse to pay money for in-game advantage, and dislike it when games provide that option.

I have no problem paying money to be gain access to a game.

Paying $60 to "win" in a game is different than paying $60 to be able to play the game.
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    I refuse to pay money for in-game advantage, and dislike it when games provide that option.

I have no problem paying money to be gain access to a game.

Paying $60 to "win" in a game is different than paying $60 to be able to play the game.

You don't pay $60 to "win" you only pay money to speed through the processes that can ALL be gained using in-game systems such as the Astral Diamond to Zen exchange, etc. Check the auction house and I am sure you will find most if not ALL of the Zen market items available to be purchased with in-game AD currency.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »
    You don't pay $60 to "win" you only pay money to speed through the processes that can ALL be gained using in-game systems such as the Astral Diamond to Zen exchange, etc. Check the auction house and I am sure you will find most if not ALL of the Zen market items available to be purchased with in-game AD currency.

Gaining those things through in-game means would be playing to "win" them. Paying for them with cash is paying to "win" them instead. You're not speeding some process up (like a +% XP boost would); you're entirely obviating that process.

"Win" also refers to the added in-game power paying cash provides, which in turn increases the probability of winning quests, dungeons, and PvP matches. Paying cash for power thus purchases a portion of each of those wins.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013

You need to pay cash (Zen shop) or buy from the auction house to turn the Men-At-Arms (cash shop only item) into the next higher tier.